Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I'd rather have Boston College than Rutgers. BC definitely has a much higher Big Ten feel than Rutgers. Mostly to me because of their history.
How is that possible? They're private and aren't a member of the AAU. Also, Rutgers is the birthplace of college football so that's something historic. Conferences are all about making money and Rutgers has the greater potential for that plus the academic qualifications that the B1G has.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not only is BC a religious school, it's a (gasp) Catholic school. That alone will keep it out of the Big Ten (assuming they would even want to join). That kept Notre Dame out of the Big Ten for a looong time, and while things have changed, it's primarily because Notre Dame brings lots of cash with it. Enough cash usually trumps prejudice in the long run.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Not only is BC a religious school, it's a (gasp) Catholic school. That alone will keep it out of the Big Ten (assuming they would even want to join). That kept Notre Dame out of the Big Ten for a looong time, and while things have changed, it's primarily because Notre Dame brings lots of cash with it. Enough cash usually trumps prejudice in the long run.
Not to mention their desire to maintain college football independence. That's why they didn't join in the early 90s and in 1999 when the board trustees voted down joining the Big Ten: Citing a "basic dissimilarity" between the University of Notre Dame and the 11 universities that make up the Big Ten athletic conference, Holy Cross Fr. Edward A. "Monk" Malloy said a Feb. 5 decision against joining the conference reaffirms the school's distinctive mission as Catholic, private and independent.

There was even discussion of Notre Dame joining in the late 1940s but Michigan State joined instead.

I know you're in B1G country and have more insight into their mentality than I do but the amount of money Notre Dame would bring would trump their private, Catholic status and with how important traditions and rivalries are to the B1G I would think they would want to bring in one of ND's rival and BC makes sense.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see either of Notre Dame or Boston College going to the B1G anytime soon. Neither of them fit in with the big, public funded universities of the B1G. Only school they really have anything in common with it Northwestern. If Notre Dame really wanted to be in the B1G, they would have found a way in years ago. There's very little incentive for them to change that right now in the current climate...and even then it would be a toss up for them between B1G and the ACC.

As far as media markets stuff goes specifically for BC; people just flat out don't watch much college football here unfortunately. There's a lot of factors that go into that, mostly with how poorly BC has marketed itself and and just the general lack of interest in the rest of the ACC. Pitt and Cuse will probably help change that a little bit...as well as a possible head coaching change(happening sooner rather than later IMO. They have similar talent to when they were winning a few years back, if not more talent even...and they've just been awful), so I would think they would like to stick it out for another five years or so before doing anything drastic. They were one of the main parties involved driving up the ACC exit fee, with the only schools trying to leave thing more open being FSU and Maryland.

Culturally, they might fit in with the B1G pretty well and they do play a similar brand of football, but I just can't see either side going for it as things currently stand. If they got Notre Dame and tried to make a package deal I guess it's possible...just not very likely.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
How is that possible? They're private and aren't a member of the AAU. Also, Rutgers is the birthplace of college football so that's something historic. Conferences are all about making money and Rutgers has the greater potential for that plus the academic qualifications that the B1G has.
I understand the whole New York market leads to money thing and that's great and all, but I really don't care about how much money th Big Ten makes. The only think I'm worried about in expansion is getting better opponents for conference play.

Boston College feels like a Big Ten style team, while when I think of Rutgers I can't get images of their lack of success even in the terrible Big East out of my head.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I understand the whole New York market leads to money thing and that's great and all, but I really don't care about how much money th Big Ten makes. The only think I'm worried about in expansion is getting better opponents for conference play.

Boston College feels like a Big Ten style team, while when I think of Rutgers I can't get images of their lack of success even in the terrible Big East out of my head.
Absolutely is a valid point. If Rutgers had more success on the field I think we'd have already been scooped up by now. Again the potential is there for continued success in the future though. Besides last year we play Big Ten football as well. Pro style offense with a gritty defense. We need to win though and it's definitely what's holding us back.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Not to mention their desire to maintain college football independence. That's why they didn't join in the early 90s and in 1999 when the board trustees voted down joining the Big Ten: Citing a "basic dissimilarity" between the University of Notre Dame and the 11 universities that make up the Big Ten athletic conference, Holy Cross Fr. Edward A. "Monk" Malloy said a Feb. 5 decision against joining the conference reaffirms the school's distinctive mission as Catholic, private and independent.

There was even discussion of Notre Dame joining in the late 1940s but Michigan State joined instead.

I know you're in B1G country and have more insight into their mentality than I do but the amount of money Notre Dame would bring would trump their private, Catholic status and with how important traditions and rivalries are to the B1G I would think they would want to bring in one of ND's rival and BC makes sense.
I'm just unconvinced that Boston College = Cash.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I'm just unconvinced that Boston College = Cash.
I think ideally the Big Ten would want Notre Dame, Maryland, Missouri and either Rutgers or Kansas. Boston College would be secondary but if Notre Dame pushed for BC I don't see it as a stretch for the B1G letting them in.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-23-2011, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they'd give Notre Dame whatever they wanted in order to get them in the Big Ten, Notre Dame is absolute huge money for the Big Ten and I think they'd do anything to get their hands on it.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think they'd give Notre Dame whatever they wanted in order to get them in the Big Ten, Notre Dame is absolute huge money for the Big Ten and I think they'd do anything to get their hands on it.
What about renaming the conference the Notre Dame 10? (Not serious)

I think Notre will stay independent and if they ever join a conference it will be the ACC imo.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

I think they'll try to keep indepence as long as possible but I don't buy the ACC thing. I just don't see what benefit they have joining the ACC when they already have natural rivalries and much more money built into the Big Ten.

Unless the ACC bends over backwards for them and the Big Ten won't cut them a deal it just doesn't make much sense.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
What about renaming the conference the Notre Dame 10? (Not serious)

I think Notre will stay independent and if they ever join a conference it will be the ACC imo.
Huh? How does the ACC make any sense? lol. Big Ten or whatever becomes of the Big East.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Huh? How does the ACC make any sense? lol. Big Ten or whatever becomes of the Big East.
It's been all over the place that they prefer the ACC to the B1G if they were to be forced into a conference.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
It's been all over the place that they prefer the ACC to the B1G if they were to be forced into a conference.
The only reason for ND To go to the ACC over the B1G is if they wanted to have a good chance to finish in the top half of the conference most years.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

I know ESPN is reporting it, but everyone knows they have interests in the Big Ten having less financial success. Which is why, even in the day of irresponsible journalism, you'll never see them report any rumors of Texas or Notre Dame to the Big Ten while they're more than willing to say on air any other random rumor they hear.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know ESPN is reporting it, but everyone knows they have interests in the Big Ten having less financial success. Which is why, even in the day of irresponsible journalism, you'll never see them report any rumors of Texas or Notre Dame to the Big Ten while they're more than willing to say on air any other random rumor they hear.
Exactly. ESPN is interfering with the conferences to the point that they are blatantly trying to steer schools in a certain direction by trying to get the masses excited about something.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
The only reason for ND To go to the ACC over the B1G is if they wanted to have a good chance to finish in the top half of the conference most years.
The ACC makes a lot of sense for ND. Especially with Pitt, Cuse, Maryland, and BC now there. The ACC wouldn't screw with their TV deals, and ND would be in a conference with other private academic schools.

I think the ACC will be after ND and either West Virginia or Cincinnati. They're a lot closer to finishing their super conference than any of the others.

As for BC to the B1G... It used to make sense, but not so much with Pitt and Syracuse back in the mix. I'm surprised that I haven't heard more about UConn. That's a huge chip. They're in the heart of the Northeast media and have a much better sports program than Rutgers or Syracuse.

Last edited by nepg : 09-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Mountain West & Conference USA merger could happen as soon as 2013
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...130586748.html

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Give them the Big Easts bowl bid.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Exactly. ESPN is interfering with the conferences to the point that they are blatantly trying to steer schools in a certain direction by trying to get the masses excited about something.
Just like every early article about Texas A&M leaving for SEC was bad for both the SEC and TAMU? Imagine that.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Give them the Big Easts bowl bid.
if TCU stays with the MWC then I would give them the Big East Bowl Bid.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
if TCU stays with the MWC then I would give them the Big East Bowl Bid.
Agree. It's already better than the Big East.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I read a rumor that WVU, Louisville, Cincy go to Big 12. If Mizzou goes to the SEC then the Big 12 is going to take USF as the replacement. I don't know how true it is but if that's the case then Big East football is officially dead.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

I wish the SEC would stand pat at 12 teams but that dream is over....
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I read a rumor that WVU, Louisville, Cincy go to Big 12. If Mizzou goes to the SEC then the Big 12 is going to take USF as the replacement. I don't know how true it is but if that's the case then Big East football is officially dead.
That's been my idea since the day Pitt left the Big East. I think it forms a conference that can hold strong for a few years.