Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B F# B F# B B

Hilariously awesome tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been listening more to (I hesitate to call it this) the djent style of metal lately. Stuff with polyrhythms, weird 16th notes and that sort. Born of Osiris, Periphery, stuff similar to Meshuggah but less about math and more about melodic brutality. Really good stuff.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:51 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I have been listening more to (I hesitate to call it this) the djent style of metal lately. Stuff with polyrhythms, weird 16th notes and that sort. Born of Osiris, Periphery, stuff similar to Meshuggah but less about math and more about melodic brutality. Really good stuff.
I love me some djent.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a very melodic song by Periphery. Most of their other songs have lots of scream/growl vocals which is also pretty good, but the lead singer's range here (I think he hits a high C) is very impressive and I just like the whole video and the idea behind it.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Born of Osiris's new cd was the tits. Periphery live however made me sad.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mmmmmmmmm Djent...

Tim Tebow is an amazing drummer. ;)

Their newest. 2:14-2:45 eats my face.

And perhaps a band that's new to most of you guys...

If you're into melodic djent (1:36) ESPECIALLY (2:25)

Last edited by phlysac : 10-24-2011 at 07:48 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I get to see animals as leaders this weekend, along with Dillinger and Btbam. Be jealous.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Feel free to join the Djentleman's Club.

Hear alot of good bands...

Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I get to see animals as leaders this weekend, along with Dillinger and Btbam. Be jealous.
Rad show!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Not a huge Dillenger fan but their live show is nuts as is BTBAM. I still haven't listened to AaL, need to do it.

What was bad about Periphery live? Misha seems like kind of a diva but they seem like great musicians.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Not a huge Dillenger fan but their live show is nuts as is BTBAM. I still haven't listened to AaL, need to do it.

What was bad about Periphery live? Misha seems like kind of a diva but they seem like great musicians.
Well, three guitarists is never a good idea imo. Spencer the vocalist was god awful when tried singing. It was hard to distinguish any of their songs, and any of the more difficult parts on guitar were rarely attempted. Idk I was thinking it was just a bad show but I have a few friends who said they had similar experiences with it.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

The only thing amazing about a Periphery live show is Matt Halpern. And he's almost worth the rest of the band being disappointing live.

I hate Periphery live. But I could watch Halpern make up for it ALL DAY!!!

Last edited by phlysac : 10-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

If Periphery is that bad live they must really grind away in the studio b/c they sound so good in their recordings. Spencer hits crazy high notes. Creative use of autotune, maybe?

And yes, Mat Halpern is a beast on the drums.

Here's the video I failed on earlier. I am not usually one for all clean singing but I thought this was great.

Getting into this genre has made me consider a 7 string guitar. Growing up 7 strings were for **** bands like Korn or Limp Bizkit so I never took them seriously.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I posted these guys before but if you haven't checked out the new single you must be living under a rock in the metal world. It's just a gorgeous song.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't mention djent without these guys:

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-25-2011, 03:15 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
If Periphery is that bad live they must really grind away in the studio b/c they sound so good in their recordings. Spencer hits crazy high notes. Creative use of autotune, maybe?
I don't believe Periphery has used Autotune on any released recordings. As for sucking live... it's simple.

They have very little stage presence, and his vocals are weak live. Countless bands are better on recording. Conversely many bands are tremendous live and their energy is lost in recordings.

Getting into this genre has made me consider a 7 string guitar. Growing up 7 strings were for **** bands like Korn or Limp Bizkit so I never took them seriously.[/quote]

Make the progression that makes sense...

Start with 6, then to 7, then to 8.

Animals as Leaders use 8-string axes.

Last edited by phlysac : 10-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I'll be going to see BTBAM, AAL, and Tesseract in November

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Before Djent was Djent...

Medley of Fredrik Thordendal's solo album Sol Niger Within...

Morgan Agren made my pants a little tight on this one.

Last edited by phlysac : 10-25-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Enjoy it boys....

Here's the whole freakin' killer album. Hard to find!

A great quote from the comments section...
Quote:
14 years later...this still has every other musician looking we-todd-did.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't believe Periphery has used Autotune on any released recordings. As for sucking live... it's simple.

They have very little stage presence, and his vocals are weak live. Countless bands are better on recording. Conversely many bands are tremendous live and their energy is lost in recordings.
I'm sure that's true, though I'm struggling to think of good examples right now. My days of going to shows every week are a few years in the past. I remember thinking Atreyu sucked live but they just sucked in general.

I know it took forever for Periphery to actually start touring, maybe they just need time to gel and develop showmanship.

I remember the first time I saw Unearth, I thought they would be disappointing but they were actually really good live. Especially the vocalist who I thought would be the weak link.

As for the 8 string I think that is far off in the future. I am taking a hard look at Agile 7 strings now though.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Just got back from Btbam. All I can say is wow. Red chord put on a very good show, and AAL was just an amazing experience and some of the best guitar work I have ever seen. As for Btbam, they nailed it as usual and proved why they are the best proghardcore band out there. We got to hear white walls, mordecai, specular, obfuscation, alaska, all bodies, aspirations, foam B, and a few other ones that arent comming to my head right now. Also got to meet Tommy Rodgers and get my picture with him. Ef yeah.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

What a great show. I am jealous. I like the Red Chord, though I always get them confused with The Acacia Strain for whatever reason.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Next Tuesday can't come soon enough...

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Oh just wait, AAL is even better than you could imagine live.

Quote:
Quote: