Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'll be there, taking a bus down from canada, gunna be a crazy day
"it won't change not one way how I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can't stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play." - Ray Lewis after being fined $20,000 for hit on Hines Ward

Let's Go BUFFALO!
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 PM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i seen on twitter that barnett is trying to get a white out at this game since we are wearing our white jerseys at home for the first time in 50 years. Hopefully they will hand out white T's or towels or something.
"it won't change not one way how I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can't stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play." - Ray Lewis after being fined $20,000 for hit on Hines Ward

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
i seen on twitter that barnett is trying to get a white out at this game since we are wearing our white jerseys at home for the first time in 50 years. Hopefully they will hand out white T's or towels or something.
They're handing out 50,000 pom poms.
Ehh, I think the team should've footed the bill for t-shirts if they really wanted a white-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm departing early tomorrow for the promised land and will be attending. I must see the Bills win Sunday!

Didn't hear about this white out thing though.....I guess I will just rock a white tee.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob, where are your seats? And are you tailgating? My group is planning on being there at 8 or 9

Quote:
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Rob, where are your seats? And are you tailgating? My group is planning on being there at 8 or 9
Not exactly sure on the seats. My dad bought them, pretty sure they are cheapies though.

Probably won't be tailgating since I'm with the family. I will be up for a December game too though and will be getting there nice an early for that one.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

do any of you guys have a saved picture of the NY Jets crashing and burning? A user on this MB uses that, along with a Bills fan in buffalo poop, and a dolphin as sushi. I want to incorporate it into a shirt I'm making before the game today. ++++rep

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

****, dudes, that was embarassing

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Posted this in the week 9 discussion thread, figured I'd throw it in here too.

Kyle Williams is done for the year in Buffalo and Lindell is out 4-6 weeks. They can probably get to 8 wins with games left against the Dolphins x2 and Broncos, with a winnable games against the Titans. The rest of the schedule is @Dallas, New England, New York Jets and San Diego. I'm not too optimistic about the Bills making the playoffs right now, but unless they win the division, with 3 teams battling it out, and two with better records in the AFC North I doubt it will happen.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 AM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
Posted this in the week 9 discussion thread, figured I'd throw it in here too.

Kyle Williams is done for the year in Buffalo and Lindell is out 4-6 weeks. They can probably get to 8 wins with games left against the Dolphins x2 and Broncos, with a winnable games against the Titans. The rest of the schedule is @Dallas, New England, New York Jets and San Diego. I'm not too optimistic about the Bills making the playoffs right now, but unless they win the division, with 3 teams battling it out, and two with better records in the AFC North I doubt it will happen.
Losing Williams definitely sucks, but Dareus's play at NT and the overall play of our DE's still gives us a pretty strong front 3. I'm worried about going into New England at the end of the season and playing NYJ at home scares me too, other then that tho i honestly see the other 6 games very winable. I know the Chargers are always tough in the second half of the season and Rivers will probably slow the INT's a bit but if our defence can force some turnovers and our offence trust's in freddy i think we can pull it off. As for Dallas, really depends if our defence can hold up. Dallas's defence has shown the last few weeks that they can be ran on. Mike Jenkins being out is a bonus for Fitzy and our quick pass offence should slow Dallas's pass rush a bit. If our defence can put up a fight I think our offence should be able to put us in a very good position to win the game. Dareus should have a big day against Phil Costa and disrupt those young RBs. And do not let McKelvin go anywhere near Dez Bryant, Dez will murder him on deep balls. It will be tough but I see an 11 win season and playoffs very possible.

One more thing, is anyone else annoyed that we passed on Brooks Reed in the second round for Aaron Williams?!?!? I know it is easy to look back on the draft now and that we play Brady twice a season so you can never really have too many DB's but with the change to 3-4 and lack of true OLB's for the scheme, our pass rush being as soft as it is, and knowing that we had McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Corner, and Scott(if needed), you would think Reed would be a good fit. Do you think our front office truly believed Merriman would make an impact, or last even half a season????? If we had someone like Reed comming off the edge, making QB's step up, our sack numbers would sky rocket.

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:28 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it was kind of going with the thought that all of our corners are replaceable and on short-term contracts right now. McGee is 31, often injured and has 2 years left on his contract. Florence signed for 3 years and 15 million in July and is also 31, but I think he proved against the Giants he isn't that great out of the slot on a team's top receiver and can be pretty ****** if he doesn't get a jam off the line. McKelvin only has one more year on his deal and will be 27 and not a very popular player among most fans. Corner was cut this Summer and got brought back mid September.

Like it or not, our top 3 corners have 1, 2 and 3 years left on their contracts, and McGee could very easily be released or traded, and McKelvin could be traded as well. Next year those guys will be 27, 32 and 32. At the very least, the Bills are making it clear that no one is safe, and that they are replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised if McGee got cut this off season and Williams saw an expanded role next year.

Sure, its not the best pick for this year, but going forward, it should be fine. If he can be a starting corner that can play with any team's number 2 or 3 receiver for the next four-five years, I think he'll have been worth the pick.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:50 AM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

Good point. I'd like to keep McGee around for at least one more season, Florence too. Drayton played sloppy a few weeks ago but i still see him as a solid option at slot. McKelvin's gotta go, he has had some bad calls against him but gets burnt pretty consistently. I think a lot of people, including myself, expected a bit more out of Moats this season too which contributed to me questioning the Williams pick. We need to make OLB a priority this off season though.

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McLovin is a guy that I could see leaving and starring for another team. He runs so hot and cold. Depending on negotiations, I could see him, Williams, and D-Flo being the group until Florence is done.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
McLovin is a guy that I could see leaving and starring for another team. He runs so hot and cold. Depending on negotiations, I could see him, Williams, and D-Flo being the group until Florence is done.
Thats basically what I'm expecting for for the next 3 years unless Nix can find someone who turns out to be starter material in the later rounds.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Fitz shows us again he can't play vs. a good D. Why the hell did we give him a 6 yr 60 mill deal? Dude is a avg./good QB nothing more and to give him 6 years 60 mill. lol.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbills View Post
And Fitz shows us again he can't play vs. a good D. Why the hell did we give him a 6 yr 60 mill deal? Dude is a avg./good QB nothing more and to give him 6 years 60 mill. lol.
He was going to be a FA, you either pay him the going rate or you find another QB. How long has it been since our last great QB, and you want to start over looking for another one.
Fitz would have been scooped up very quickly by another team and we would have been left with nothing.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so we get stuck into giving an avg. qb 10 mill a yr! Go bills!!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

I completely agree with my fellow canadian. The last time we had a QB that could even get us close to the playoffs was in 2002(Bledsoe's first and only good year with us). Before Fitzy showed glimpses of being able to lead our offence last season we had been searching for 8 years. With Fitzy we have a QB we can build around and if Freddy and Stevie re-sign we have a strong offensive core for years to come. If we didn't pay Fitzy and he ended up on another roster, everybody would be on here crying that we should have just paid him and stop being the "cheap" franchise we have become known to be.

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

21-0, lol i knewthis team wasn't for real. they look like ****.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

This team wasn't winning a playoff game in the next couple years anyways, if that wasn't obvious to everyone early on despite the wins, then you must have been drinking too much of the kool-aid. The defense has given up massive yardage in pretty much every game, the only reason the Bills have been so competitive is because the defense has managed to be produce a lot of turnovers and Fred Jackson is an offense on his own.

I'm fine with the contract we gave Fitzpatrick, its really a 3 year deal the way its structured, 3 years is a while to live with middle of the pack quarterback play, but theres still a lot of places the Bills need to improve.
The Defense is solid up front, Dareus and Williams looks great on paper, Dareus will only improve and both are locked up long term and there is a lot of depth up front as well.
The situation at corner is a nightmare, but safety is more than set, especially considering if Williams is no good at corner he can be moved back to safety and be at least adequate.
There are no outside linebackers that should be starting on the roster in a 3-4 defense, Kelsay and Merriman are both hurt right now, but neither are starters, Merriman is washed up, and Kelsay is playing out of position, but can apply some pressure on occasion.
So the defense needs major upgrades at outside linebacker and corner, and they'll need to add depth at both positions over the next couple years with the current contracts that the players have.

On offense, the Bills need to add some more athleticism with size at receiver. I don't think Jones or Nelson will ever be more than they are right now, the Bills need to take another shot at a jump-ball receiver and hope they turn out better than Hardy did. They also need a lot more depth on the offensive line too, and probably need a tight end that offers more than Chandler does outside of the red-zone.

The most frustrating thing about the Bills needs right now, are that they are all at positions where they've missed in the draft, or come up short. They missed on Maybin for their edge rusher need. They missed on Hardy for their lanky endzone, jump-ball, sideline fade receiver. Leodis McKelvin hasn't become as good as everyone hoped, but hes a decent starter at corner. I'm convinced the corners look a bit worse than they really are because none of the linebackers can cover much ground, and the pass rush isn't great, but all year the defense has been shredded through the air, thankfully the run defense has slightly improved despite injuries for a few of the front 7 starters.

Lets let Nix and Gailey try to build a better team with Fitzpatrick, see how everything looks after a couple years and see how far they can take the Bills. Fitzpatrick hasn't been phenomenal, but its the defense that has been more responsible for the Bills issues this season. If not for all the turnovers they've come away with, this would probably be the worst defense any of us have seen from the Bills.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will say that it is really unfortunate that we faced three straight road games after the awful Jets loss. There are no home games remaining that are impossibly tough, could've been a good refresher for this team after these weeks. Beating the blowfish in their backyard will have to do.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 AM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

Quote:
The most frustrating thing about the Bills needs right now, are that they are all at positions where they've missed in the draft, or come up short. They missed on Maybin for their edge rusher need. They missed on Hardy for their lanky endzone, jump-ball, sideline fade receiver. Leodis McKelvin hasn't become as good as everyone hoped, but hes a decent starter at corner.

Lets let Nix and Gailey try to build a better team with Fitzpatrick, see how everything looks after a couple years and see how far they can take the Bills.

Picking Whitner over Ngata(when DT was a big need at the time) and Maybin over Orakpo are two picks by the Bills that haunt me in my sleep. I can't tell you how many time's i have gone over the "what if" scenario's in my head. Taking Dareus this draft has helped heal the pain of the Whitner pick at bit but i dont know if i will ever get over passing on Orakpo for such a useless player like Maybin. As much as i hate McKelvin, he can NEVER make a play on the ball, I felt like he was the best CB in the class and the right selection with the pick. With the acception of Stevie Johnson, and maybe Bell if he can keep improving, that entire 2008 draft class was a bust. The firing of Tom Modrak was probably my favourite off season move by the Bills.

Let's Go BUFFALO!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This team wasn't winning a playoff game in the next couple years anyways, if that wasn't obvious to everyone early on despite the wins, then you must have been drinking too much of the kool-aid. The defense has given up massive yardage in pretty much every game, the only reason the Bills have been so competitive is because the defense has managed to be produce a lot of turnovers and Fred Jackson is an offense on his own.

I agree, we aren't a playoff contender just yet if ever with Wilson as our owner. Does he even care?????

I'm fine with the contract we gave Fitzpatrick, its really a 3 year deal the way its structured, 3 years is a while to live with middle of the pack quarterback play, but theres still a lot of places the Bills need to improve.

Quote:
I agree, we have to wait it out with Fitz to see what we have.
The Defense is solid up front, Dareus and Williams looks great on paper, Dareus will only improve and both are locked up long term and there is a lot of depth up front as well.
The situation at corner is a nightmare, but safety is more than set, especially considering if Williams is no good at corner he can be moved back to safety and be at least adequate.
There are no outside linebackers that should be starting on the roster in a 3-4 defense, Kelsay and Merriman are both hurt right now, but neither are starters, Merriman is washed up, and Kelsay is playing out of position, but can apply some pressure on occasion.
So the defense needs major upgrades at outside linebacker and corner, and they'll need to add depth at both positions over the next couple years with the current contracts that the players have.

Quote:
Our LBers are terrible and we have hope that Wilson will provide the money to keep our solid players and not let them leave via FA/trades like Peters and Poz.
On offense, the Bills need to add some more athleticism with size at receiver. I don't think Jones or Nelson will ever be more than they are right now, the Bills need to take another shot at a jump-ball receiver and hope they turn out better than Hardy did. They also need a lot more depth on the offensive line too, and probably need a tight end that offers more than Chandler does outside of the red-zone.

Quote:
Our offense line has been exposed recently and is the weal link on this team. It needs a real upgrade and should be a priority on draft day if we want Fitz to develop.
The most frustrating thing about the Bills needs right now, are that they are all at positions where they've missed in the draft, or come up short. They missed on Maybin for their edge rusher need. They missed on Hardy for their lanky endzone, jump-ball, sideline fade receiver. Leodis McKelvin hasn't become as good as everyone hoped, but hes a decent starter at corner. I'm convinced the corners look a bit worse than they really are because none of the linebackers can cover much ground, and the pass rush isn't great, but all year the defense has been shredded through the air, thankfully the run defense has slightly improved despite injuries for a few of the front 7 starters.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Wilson does not provide the money to hire a full scouting department and we must rely on our GM and HC to provide imput on the draft, this has led to costly mistakes in the past and will continue to be a thorn in our side till Wilson meets up again with Al Davis.
Lets let Nix and Gailey try to build a better team with Fitzpatrick, see how everything looks after a couple years and see how far they can take the Bills. Fitzpatrick hasn't been phenomenal, but its the defense that has been more responsible for the Bills issues this season. If not for all the turnovers they've come away with, this would probably be the worst defense any of us have seen from the Bills.
That's what happens when Wilson just lets players like Poz leave as FA's with no replacements in sight.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

I'm not that disappointed with them letting Poz leave to be honest. He was better in coverage than any of the current ILB's but I'd take Barnett over him against the run every time and Sheppard looks like he can be serviceable.

As far as you calling the offensive line the weak link on the team, I entirely disagree. The Bills have one of the best running games in the league and Fitzpatrick is one of the least touched quarterbacks in the league so far this year. This is true despite injuries to the top 2 left tackles, a newish (depending on how you consider last year's right tackle situation) starter at right tackle and having players shift around to different spots all year long. The protection issues against the Jets were a result of Jackson picking up the wrong blitzer, or it was Fitzpatrick and Wood not getting the right people assigned or getting enough people in to block.

Considering all the Bills have invested up front is Levitre and Wood, and how well they've played, its amazing the line isn't one of the worst in the league. I think just adding some more depth to the roster up front would be fine unless someone awesome falls into the Bills laps on draft day. I'd rather see them invest in the defense even more. Dareus, Sheppard and Williams aren't enough yet.

I'm not that worried about Wilson letting players go, the only guys on the team that need to be signed soon to pretty big deals are Stevie Johnson, Jairus Byrd, Andy LeVitre and Fred Jackson (although thats debateable because of the whole issue on paying old running backs, and he'll be 31 at the end of next year when his contract is up, but I wouldn't be surprised if he held out for a new contract next training camp, 1.75 and 1.83 mil for this year and next year should look like robbery from his perspective).

We've seen him spend money on some home grown guys like Kelsay and Schobel, just re-signed Fitzpatrick and seen him spend money on some free agents like Stroud, Dockery, Owens and Walker in the past few years. The only guys that have been "let go" to bigger contracts lately are Nate Clements (definitely worth it), Posluszny and Jabari Greer, maybe Jim Leonhard, but the depth at safety is ridiculous already. I guess you could point to the running back position as well since no one ever stays around long (Henry > McGahee > Lynch > Jackson who will probably not see a big contract, the issue here is more with the fact that the Bills have gotten their runners with high draft picks so they haven't addressed other positions (2nd round pick and 3 firsts in the past decade).

As far as scouting goes, I'm also not too worried about that, I think 2010's draft was kind of messy because the entire staff was under new leadership at the time, and Dareus already looks amazing and most of the picks are, at the absolute worst, quality depth players with the possibility of having some real solid contributors from guys like Carrington, Williams, Sheppard and Spiller. Hairston, Troup, Batten and Moats are solid backups. I don't expect much from Searcy but I'd be ecstatic if he could be a long-term solution at nickel, I have no idea if thats a realistic expectation though, apparently he played against Dallas quite a bit, but I wasn't really paying much attention for most of that game...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

He also dumped Peters because of money and the OL has slowly began to unravel which is why we are slumping.
Teams didn't take us seriously in the beginning, now that they are, wins are getting tougher to come by.
As for our scouting department, we have been drafting top 10, seems like forever and where are all the stars???
Wilson only signs cheap older FA's who are past their prime or nobody else wants.
Fitz may take us to an 8-8 season but I'm not sold on him taking us above that level.