Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Wii U GPU leaked.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/wi...-is-still-pre/

HD 4890, which was a pretty decent card back then and about in line with the "50% more powerful than a PS3" figure. So the hardware bump is real. However, it's still more of a current-gen 1.5 thing than a true generational leap relative to what else is going to be out there as that's a DX10 card and the rumors are breaking that the new Microsoft hardware will be DX11. You can still make damn fine looking(and more importantly playing) games with a card like that. They'll probably look even better than DX10 games did a few years ago due to the way consoles work(OS just for gaming, standardized hardware, optimization), so there is something in there to be excited about. A little, anyway.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 06-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Wii U's GPU is not 1.5x the PS3s, if that is accurate.

Whoever is spreading these rumors may want to do some research. A 4890 is at least going to be 4x more powerful (than the 7900 that is roughly in the PS3). At least. It's 2.5 generations better. The only thing I think that makes a 4890 a mistake is that ATI doesn't support tessellation until their 5 series chips (and those suck badly). Tessellation will be a major part of what makes jaw dropping games of this next generation.

I seriously doubt the Power7 Processor (the 'Watson' processor) isn't going to turn circles around the Cell. If we get a bare minimum Power7 chip in the Wii U, it will be 3 Ghz, 4 core, 4 SMT per core. In layman's terms there is no way to figure out how much more powerful that is than the cell, but it's going to be between 4x and 10x.

Something isn't adding up here.

People are saying this is basically a PS360 (though more powerful). Then they say it has a Power7 processor and an ATI 4890 in it? Something doesn't add up.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I know for sure, is that it cant even play dvds.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
All I know for sure, is that it cant even play dvds.
Does anyone really need another dvd player? It's not a consoles main function and doesn't bother me at all considering I have a bluray player in my ps3.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blu Ray should be pretty standard in these new consoles.

edit...The current aim is to turn the console into a full multi-media device. Granted, live HD streaming/downloads are much more prominent. But you'd figure they'd still need to include Blu Ray if they want to cover all their bases. They could just opt for a superior disc format, as far as space goes...that's a given. But a lot of people will still be clamoring over the addition of blu ray.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 06-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I don't really care about the lack of media support in a console...ever, really. It was a neat trick with the PS2 all those years ago and not a bad one with the PS3, but in the end I buy a game system to play games. The 25GB propitiatory disc Nintendo is using is based on Blu-Ray technology anyway and shouldn't have any storage problems.

Besides, Netflix and streaming video could well kill physical copies of movies by 2017(projected life cycle of this box).

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Blu Ray should be pretty standard in these new consoles.

edit...The current aim is to turn the console into a full multi-media device. Granted, live HD streaming/downloads are much more prominent. But you'd figure they'd still need to include Blu Ray if they want to cover all their bases. They could just opt for a superior disc format, as far as space goes...that's a given. But a lot of people will still be clamoring over the addition of blu ray.
I'm going to disagree with that in regards to Nintendo. That is not Nintendo's goal. With no bluray/dvd capabilities and a small hard drive, it's pretty clear that isn't their intention. They have never tried for that in the past either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
meh. it *should* include a proper disc player for the same reason people want their cell phone to be able to play music and get on the internet (and for the same reason they use a 360/whatever to play netflix and mlbtv and whatever). i don't want to have to leave an outdated ps3 hooked up to my TV in 5 years, just to play media. moreso because it costs basically nothing at this point to include.
Nintendo consoles has never been able to play the current movie format. I don't know why people are expecting them to now. You won't have to leave your outdated ps3 hooked in with the ps4/next xbox. Or buy a bluray player that also streams netflix like anyone who doesn't have a ps3 for bluray.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 06-15-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
because they want to compete for my dollar, so i expect them to actually, you know, compete. but you're right. screw me. i should just hook up 15 different devices to my tv and quit whining or whatever.

all other things being equal, that *would* keep me from buying a nintendo over the next sony/MS console.
Nintendo has their reasons on why they aren't implementing bluray, whatever they may be. You're just wanting it to be something it's not and that's fine, you have your other options like you said.

But really to not buy a console because of no bluray, to me, is silly. If it did have bluray and you bought it, would you pack up your ps3 still? I personally love my ps3 library and won't pack it up unless I have a ps4(assuming its backwards compatible).

What upsets me about the Wii U is that it's using a DX10 video card.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 06-15-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that being a multi-media player is a very important part of a video game console moving forward. If you want the Wii U to be a part of your living room set up it needs to be able to handle the multiple duties that come with it. Even in that demo video it shows someone looking up a video on the controller and then sending it on to the screen for everyone to watch. It's silly not to have it play dvds/blu-rays, especially when its not that hard to add. My xbox is my only dvd player. I use netflix a bunch and I've even rented a movie on it.

Apparently the Wii can play dvds with a little homebrew work too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

who the hell buys dvd/blu ray DL it like a real person

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:45 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
who the hell buys dvd/blu ray DL it like a real person
Bandwidth caps have been a huge problem outside of the US and are starting to creep up in the US too. As a Canadian university student living in a house with 4 other people under a 60GB cap, I have to do all my downloading in class or at the library.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not that complicated to make your console able to play DVDs. That's not a big deal. The next console I get is going to be the only one in my house. It better be able to play DVDs and stream Netflix and music.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

http://kotaku.com/5813950/the-wii-u-...ow-away-rivals

Reports are out there to contradict previous reports; Wii U will now blow away the PS3 and 360 and is back to being more of a this gen .5 kind of thing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They just need to get the graphics to a point where they don't look like complete crap compared to their competitors. The Wii just didn't have the graphics to compete on shared games like Call of Duty. Of course we have no idea how much of a jump the next xbox/ps will be in terms of graphics.

Also they need to change the control sticks. I saw a video of a guy playing a shooter and he just hated the flatness of the sticks, its like the stick on the 3ds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I pretty much never watch a DVD on any gaming system but Netflix is a flat out MUST.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nov 20th.

Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Zelda Skyward Sword in a little over a week, yeah buddy! It's a prequel to OoT and other than The Old Republic, it's my most anticipated game of the year. I can't wait.

I actually walked into a GameStop the other day and they already had Zelda games on display. I stood there for a minute just staring at the game confused, thinking it was released early or something. A GameStop employee said that it is not out until the 20th and apologized for the blue balls.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:46 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to play the last 2 zelda's but have no desire to ever own a wii, heres to hoping the wii U doesn't suck and is backwards compatible

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
I'd love to play the last 2 zelda's but have no desire to ever own a wii, heres to hoping the wii U doesn't suck and is backwards compatible
I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be backwards compatible not only for Wii games but their controllers as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Nov 20th.

IGN gave it a 10/10.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They said it was better than Ocarina. I just refuse to believe that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish I played video games more because Zelda was always one of my favorites. I'm also worried if I buy this then I'll go missing for a few weeks. It does look fun.

Gamespot gave it a 7.5.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote