Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 AM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i liked the parts in the office with robert california. him thinking kevin was a genius was great. the rest was pretty weak.

and i don't have very high standards for a good episode
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I only liked 25% of the episode. Dwight mostly, and finding out about his farm with Oscar made it even more hilarious.

I fell like they are leading up to firing Andy cause he sucks so much as a boss, and every week there is something about poor sales.
I thought this was a little too forced given that Oscar is ***. The show tries to hard to add unnecessary layers of irony. It just seems forced.

This isn't the case simply with this plot. The show tries too hard in general to construct stories instead of letting them present themselves more naturally and effortlessly. It ends up just being a string of telegraphed jokes where you can sense the punchline or payoff in advance.

In its prime, the show was not like this.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I definitely liked tonight's episode. It was very strange and did not fit the mold of any previous Office episode.

And god damn it, Creed, you sonofabitch, you're back!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See, we aren't asking for much when we demand Creed. He had one small, minor part that exsutes (spelling?) his personality perfectly. We aren't screaming for him to take over the show, we just need to see him goofing off once.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just got around to watching this weeks and I thought it was pretty good.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the Christmas episode was pretty good. I feel like the last few episodes are at least moving in the right direction.

As I continue to watch the older episodes I just realized how dynamic Michael was. He may not have always been the funniest but his character could fit into any episode no matter the context.

It seems like they are having difficulty getting Andy into that role. I guess only time will tell.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Best episode of the season, probably.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was the best episode of the season too. Classic Dwight/Jim and I actually enjoyed Erin for once.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

The amount of Creed in this episode was excellent. He generates some of the funniest moments with the littlest screen time.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fantastic episode. I just liked it from top to bottom. I think the show can continue to succeed if they are around this quality. I think they just needed to use some episodes to develop Andy more because he is going to be a major character going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
As I continue to watch the older episodes I just realized how dynamic Michael was. He may not have always been the funniest but his character could fit into any episode no matter the context.
I watched a couple old episodes and I could not agree more. Michael Scott was the straw that stirred the drink. So plots were Michael doing something and the rest of the office having to react to it. He made the show the majority of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Reviving this thread:

Despite obvious problems, I didn't dislike this week's "Pool Party" episode.

The writing is still lazy, shallow and poorly structured, but I still find enough to laugh at every week.

I pray they just reboot next season without James Spader (and Jim in charge) and just forget this season ever occurred.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't mind most of the episode besides the Ryan/Gabe part. I also didn't like how the temp likes Jim a lot now also.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

The fact that the temp likes Jim (or so it's presented out of the blue) COULD be made into a profoundly interesting story, but the writers won't do it.

Season 1 and 2 Jim used to follow after Pam despite her being with Roy. It'd actually be quality character development for Jim if temp girl did that to him, only for him to realize (as Pam did) what was happening. Being on the other end of the situation.

But that's too much to ask for a writing staff that no longer understands those sorts of nuances. The writers don't care about actually achieving interesting character moments.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

This show just misses so many god damn opportunities to turn a bunch of randomness into meaning. It really wouldn't be difficult. They need to let me be a writer for this show to handle the plotting. Let someone funny write the jokes, but find someone capable of getting characters from Point A to Point B in an interesting and plausible fashion. Instead, they just go from Point A to Point A again in circular fashion.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
The fact that the temp likes Jim (or so it's presented out of the blue) COULD be made into a profoundly interesting story, but the writers won't do it.

Season 1 and 2 Jim used to follow after Pam despite her being with Roy. It'd actually be quality character development for Jim if temp girl did that to him, only for him to realize (as Pam did) what was happening. Being on the other end of the situation.

But that's too much to ask for a writing staff that no longer understands those sorts of nuances. The writers don't care about actually achieving interesting character moments.
Yeah I agree it would be a nice turn around at this point but they are certainly not playing that angle. Also it just came out of no where that the temp liked Jim even though it does make sense. If Jim ever gave a second though to anyone other than Pam then I would never watch.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Jim would never do anything to Pam.

But would it kill the writers to give him SOMETHING to do? John Krasinski has to be pretty annoyed with the show. I'm surprised there isn't talk of him leaving.

This is why I wanted him as boss. The old plots about Jim not handling management very well were an interesting new dynamic for him. And in last year's finale when he was in charge of the search committee, I loved that it appeared he recognized the need for HIM to take charge ... And then he still didn't want to be the boss (or rather, the writers didn't).

This all annoys me. I watch this show every week, and it makes me laugh, but it has a complete lack of direction and all of the characters are now cartoonish versions of their former selves. They need to identify what motivates the characters, and then consistently have them exhibit those motivations and behave accordingly.

Ugh.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 AM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not complaining, because there's nothing to complain about. They aren't gonna pay him more if they make him the boss.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
He's not complaining, because there's nothing to complain about. They aren't gonna pay him more if they make him the boss.
Yeah, that is nowhere near the point I was making ...

Jim has been the biggest one-note character since the wedding. His biggest character arc is "Dwight pranks," which isn't an arc at all. He doesn't have to be the boss to be given something to do from time to time.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:09 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just can't get into this show anymore. It's a shadow of what it used to be and that is pretty sad.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I just can't get into this show anymore. It's a shadow of what it used to be and that is pretty sad.
Suck it up and watch. It's still funny. It just isn't good.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I pray they just reboot next season without James Spader (and Jim in charge) and just forget this season ever occurred.
I agree with a lot of the things you said. I think the temp developing a crush on Jim would be a great storyline. And I do think Jim should be in charge. They made a huge mistake promoting Andy instead of Jim. They had been building to Jim being the manager for seven years and then BOOM! He doesn't get it.

I disagree about James Spader to a degree. I like his character but I think he should be much less prevalent. His character should be kind of like Creed. A funny line or two every episode and then maybe one or two episodes a season with a much more expanded role. Unfortunately, Spader is too big an actor to have such a small role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so where is this show at? The last time I saw it was they went to a rudy cool bar to win a triva contest.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Dwight is getting a spin-off:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/25/nb...-rainn-wilson/
Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can't see that succeeding but hey who knows.

Wait, does that mean this is the last season?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote