Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 11-28-2011, 07:08 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default We Need a #1 WR

I just came in here to say (and vent) that we need a number 1 receiver BADLY.

You would think Santonio would be that for us but for some reason or another him and sanchez have not been able to develop that chemistry.

I dont know if anyone else notices that we lost a step since we let Braylon go (rightfully so) but there's no true number 1 playmaker on the team.

We'll never pick that high that we can draft a high ceiling high floor kind of guy and we can't go out and get desean because his skills would be useless with Sanchez' arm.

So what do you suggest we do?

Gamble on someone in the second round or are there any up and coming receivers that would be perfect for this team?

PS. we need a franchise running back too. Or at least someone with a bit more power to combine with Joe McKnight.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know you guys are a little cash strapped next year, but luckily for you this is a great free agent crop for wide receivers. There are a lot of second-tier guys who you could probably get a good deal on.

A few guys I could see working for in the same range as what you're paying Plaxico now are:

Robert Meachum
Braylon Edwards
Mario Manningham
Eddie Royal
Pierre Garcon

I also could see an outcast guy like Desean Jackson getting a 1 year deal $6,000,000 with you guys, but I don't know if he'd be down with playing with Sanchez since his deep ball accuracy is pretty mediocre. Whatever Tannenbaum does will end up pissing me off by how he'll manipulates the cap to fit in this new receiver.

I think you'll probably use your picks on a pass rusher and on the O-line, and take the value at Wide Receiver from free agency.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our passing game will be bad as long as the combo of Sanchez and Schotty are around, regardless of who the receivers are.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be ecstatic if we could get Pierre Garcon.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure if a true #1 receiver is needed or if it just needs to be an upgrade over Plex. The passing game kind of seemed to be coming along last year, and I think that was because Braylon was just so much more of a threat than Plex is. Don't get me wrong, he's been great in the red zone, but there's a pretty small window where Burress is open, he's not really a threat to go deep, and I think teams are taking advantage of it and rolling most of the coverage Holmes' way. Santonio is definitely good, but he's not the kind of elite WR who's going to beat teams when they're focused on stopping him in the passing game. I think a more dangerous player across from Holmes (Braylon could certainly make sense, not like he's going to command a massive deal after this season and Holmes certainly had an easier time getting open with the attention defenses ahd to give him) who is another fringe 1/2 type is sufficient. Obviously a true #1 would be nice, but they're not going to hit the market too often and would be tough to find in the draft. Another guy who I think would be an interesting fit in the draft would be Michael Floyd if he's available.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I think the Jets WRs (from what I've seen) are pretty damn good. It looks like more of a Sanchez problem or maybe a discipline problem than anything.

I'd gladly trade Deion Branch or anyone other than Wes Welker for Santonio Holmes.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think for the most part I agree. Holmes is a really good player, but (at least in my opinion) he's not the kind of dominant receiver who will beat you when you focus on stopping him. He certainly hasn't shown it this year, on pace for almost 54 catches for a little over 700 yards and 7 touchdowns. And Plex isn't threatening anyone with his ability to beat you deep, so teams can focus on bottling up Holmes and not letting him get loose down the field.

When teams roll coverage towards Holmes with no threat of anyone else really beating them deep for a touchdown, they can afford to play more aggressively, and jump some routes. It really shrinks the field and certainly doesn't help the offense any. So while I like Holmes, I think he needs some help in the passing game, someone who can threaten teams downfield. There's just no explosiveness on offense besides him, it really hurts the team and makes it more difficult to move the ball, and Sanchez isn't nearly good enough to compensate.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Anton Chigurh
Rookie

Anton Chigurh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
I would be ecstatic if we could get Pierre Garcon.
To play in the slot? ...because that's all he would be able to do in New York, behind Santonio Holmes.

This team needs size at the position if Burress leaves.

We need a long-term #2 receiver and that can be found in the second or third rounds this year. This draft is loaded with receivers.
Anton Chigurh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

I truly think we should've taken a flier on Moss rahter than Plax if for anything than just a temporary player until we reached the next draft.

Michael Floyd I think would be awesome.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i was thinking the same thing watching the game tonight
Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dustin Keller also sucks right now. He gets no separation and is slow.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
I just came in here to say (and vent) that we need a number 1 receiver BADLY.

You would think Santonio would be that for us but for some reason or another him and sanchez have not been able to develop that chemistry.

I dont know if anyone else notices that we lost a step since we let Braylon go (rightfully so) but there's no true number 1 playmaker on the team.

We'll never pick that high that we can draft a high ceiling high floor kind of guy and we can't go out and get desean because his skills would be useless with Sanchez' arm.

So what do you suggest we do?

Gamble on someone in the second round or are there any up and coming receivers that would be perfect for this team?

PS. we need a franchise running back too. Or at least someone with a bit more power to combine with Joe McKnight.
... You're a Jets fan?

Also: We need a new offensive coordinator, number one receiver, Tone is better as a two, and an upgrade at RT.

... And safeties ...
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys need a pass rusher.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:03 PM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
You guys need a pass rusher.
Yes, but Safety is a greater need. Our safeties are horrendous, we have no coverage over the middle.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Our passing game will be bad as long as the combo of Sanchez and Schotty are around, regardless of who the receivers are.
I agree.... the problem is there some way some how.... probably the O-coordinator more so than Sanchez.

Your WR's seem fine to me.
Both former Steeler #1 WRs.
You have a good TE, and 2 good RBs.
And supposedly a great OL.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
Yes, but Safety is a greater need. Our safeties are horrendous, we have no coverage over the middle.
The safeties would look better with a better pass rush, David Harris is literally our only above average linebacker
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote