Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

'The 49ers new anthem' playing at their practice today according to Maiocco.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niner...22&feedID=5884

Completely. Buying. In.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 12-09-2011, 04:34 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
'The 49ers new anthem' playing at their practice today according to Maiocco.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niner...22&feedID=5884

Completely. Buying. In.
I buy.

Aside from mentioning Reggie instead of Justin.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
I'm always amazed that you can't simply hold a conversation on these boards without insulting people.

Play nice.
His words, not mine

Quote:
Those that blindly support or blindly bash are the ones that are jokes.
I was just using his own logic.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWillis View Post
His words, not mine
Fair enough. Everyone needs to cool it with personal attacks.

But I had to delete some of your posts in the past for personal attacks. Please don't make me do it again. It really shouldn't be necessary.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:53 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't even need to go back too far to prove I can criticize Smith...

Just this past weekend, in fact, regarding the deep passes that made you proclaim I was "off the wagon." Passes that you claim I "never" mention.

Bring facts.

and

and as far as the sacks in the Ravens game... here's what I said...

"I told you so's"??? Feel free to bring them to the table. I always supported Vernon Davis. It's not an "I told you so."

and here's my signature showing my support for VD,

I get you disagree with me. I just wish you wouldn't generalize what I say when it's not factual.
1) alex blew 2, not one. Had 2 off target throws to ginn to the far sideline, and this is still a problem with him. He seems much better at throwing it deep between the hashes and awful at throwing it to the far sideline. That's not hating, that's calling it how it is. Yes, VD dropped an easy one for a TD on a great pass. So in my estimation, VD blew one, and Alex blew 2.

2)As for the Ravens game. Perfect example of why I think you are a homer when it comes to Smith. Yes, you did blame Smith for 2 of them when he held on to it too long. However, just because some of the other sacks were "under 3.8 seconds" you(and many other alex fans) automatically assume it was the line's fault. When the Ravens send 6 or 7, there is a hot read. That means....**** the 3.8 seconds. He has to get rid of it pretty much right after the ball is in his hands. Unfortunately, and while you may disagree, alex's footwork in the pocket is still lackluster, his release is average and he cowers under pressure. I would hazard a guess 3 more of those sacks could have been avoided if he had recognized the hot read...there were 2 in particular where I saw Hunter wide in the flat....

3) Yeah I know you are a vernon fan. That's why I wondered why you were bashing him for one drop.

And btw guys.....I was watching the Pack vs the Giants, and Rodgers "outstanding" receivers dropped like 7 passes. But apparently, only Alex has to suffer from drops, right?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Fair enough. Everyone needs to cool it with personal attacks.

But I had to delete some of your posts in the past for personal attacks. Please don't make me do it again. It really shouldn't be necessary.
Roger that.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Phly, you've been so absurdly right over the last couple years, I wouldn't even waste the energy. We should all be flying high, especially those of us that have been proven right over this past year about what the team really needed (ahem).
Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Phly, you've been so absurdly right over the last couple years, I wouldn't even waste the energy. We should all be flying high, especially those of us that have been proven right over this past year about what the team really needed (ahem).
Yeah, you were REALLLY right about Crabtree when you said he couldn't run routes.....

And I also seem to remember Phlysac defending Singletary before the disastrous 10' season over on News.....Could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure of it.

Last edited by PatrickWillis : 12-09-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Phlysac...let's just get it in the open....How many QB's would you take over Alex currently?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:57 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Look at this. Everyone knows passer rating is flawed. ESPN QBR has Alex ranked 24th despite his passer rating, and ranks Tebow low as well despite his own decent passer rating.

Keep in mind, this stat DOES take into context YAC for a QB. QB's with receivers who have a higher YAC get dinged more.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...season-leaders

Top 10 level of play? Hardly.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm always amazed that you can't simply hold a conversation on these boards without insulting people.

Play nice.
It's always hilarious when someone tries to act hard behind a computer.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
It's always hilarious when someone tries to act hard behind a computer.
Even more hilarious when posters get butthurt and have to resort to ignoring people. Sensitivity on the internet FTL.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Even more hilarious when posters get butthurt and have to resort to ignoring people. Sensitivity on the internet FTL.

It was really because your posts were so awful and I got tired of you not knowing what you were talking about. Had nothing to do with getting butthurt, more so than it had to do with you being obnoxious. When you have to resort to insulting someone to debate a point, you've already lost the argument. That's the real joke, FRIENDO.

Believe what you want to believe though.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 12-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Look at this. Everyone knows passer rating is flawed. ESPN QBR has Alex ranked 24th despite his passer rating, and ranks Tebow low as well despite his own decent passer rating.

Keep in mind, this stat DOES take into context YAC for a QB. QB's with receivers who have a higher YAC get dinged more.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...season-leaders

Top 10 level of play? Hardly.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb
Football Outsiders has Alex 11th in DVOA
Quote:
The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average quarterback in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. Negative DVOA represents below-average offense. DVOA (and its cousin, VOA, which isn't adjusted based on opponent)
and 14th in DYAR:
Quote:
Effective Yards, listed in red, translate DVOA into a yards per attempt figure. This provides an easy comparison: in general, players with more Effective Yards than standard yards played better than standard stats would otherwise indicate, while players with fewer Effective Yards than standard yards played worse than standard stats would otherwise indicate. Effective Yards are not the best way to measure total value because they are more dependent on usage than DYAR.

Passes total includes sacks and aborted snaps. Both count against a quarterback's value.
Fumbles count the same whether lost to the defense or retained by the offense.
IMO he has played at a top 15 level this season and I think Football Outsiders QB system pegs it more accurately compared to ESPN QBR. I think ESPN's weighs sacks too heavily against a QB and I don't like their interpretation of "Clutch Weight."

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 12-10-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
IMO he has played at a top 15 level this season and I think Football Outsiders QB system pegs it more accurately comapred to ESPN QBR. I think ESPN's weighs sacks too heavily against a QB and I don't like their interpretation of "Clutch Weight."
Hmmmm, im not following this argument/conversation but are you arguing over what ESPN says? If so, why are you even wasting your time? Who cares?

Smith is playing good, not making the mistakes he's made in the past and we're winning games. That's all I care about. I dont give two craps about all these other stats. The only stat that matters is under the "W".
Old 12-09-2011, 11:33 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And I also seem to remember Phlysac defending Singletary before the disastrous 10' season over on News.....Could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure of it.
I defended him through the Martz debacle (firing Martz, losing Linehan, settling with Raye.) I was wrong too because he truly proved TO ME that he was a clown of a coach early into 2010. However, I wasn't a huge Martz fan, doubt I ever will be, and I gave Sing the benefit of the doubt.

I call it how I see it. I was wrong in my defense of him. It was a benefit of doubt I shouldn't have given. I trusted he would surround himself with capable people, and he didn't.

Quote:
Phlysac...let's just get it in the open....How many QB's would you take over Alex currently?
Without 2nd guesses I would take...

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers
Peyton Manning (healthy)
Eli Manning

With consideration for fit in a Harbaugh system, I would include Alex Smith in a group of...

Tony Romo
Jay Cutler
Matt Schaub
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton.

But thus far in 2011 (and perhaps into the future) he is performing better than several of those guys.

Last edited by phlysac : 12-09-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:31 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Hmmmm, im not following this argument/conversation but are you arguing over what ESPN says? If so, why are you even wasting your time? Who cares?
What you didn't like ESPN's "TebowCenter" a few days ago? It was groundbreaking television. Actually I like their attempt to bring another advanced metric to QB. I think with a few tweaks over the years it will improve. What I don't like is their bloggers/TV personalities slipping it into conversation every chance they get. ESPN propaganda.

Quote:
Smith is playing good, not making the mistakes he's made in the past and we're winning games. That's all I care about. I dont give two craps about all these other stats. The only stat that matters is under the "W".
I'm with you on that to a degree. I think there are a few things that need to be tightened up. Ness has brought up 3rd down % and it hasn't improved as much as I thought it would, which is a concern to me heading into January. Also I am worried about our red zone efficiency. Alex has excelled in that in the past but this year he hasn't been as efficient as I would like to see.

I am looking forward to this stretch of 3 games. Great litmus test to see where this team stands with the Steelers game sandwiched between two divisional road games that don't look like the cakewalks we assumed they would be a month ago.

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 12-10-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:12 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I defended him through the Martz debacle (firing Martz, losing Linehan, settling with Raye.) I was wrong too because he truly proved TO ME that he was a clown of a coach early into 2010. However, I wasn't a huge Martz fan, doubt I ever will be, and I gave Sing the benefit of the doubt.

I call it how I see it. I was wrong in my defense of him. It was a benefit of doubt I shouldn't have given. I trusted he would surround himself with capable people, and he didn't.

Without 2nd guesses I would take...

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers
Peyton Manning (healthy)
Eli Manning

With consideration for fit in a Harbaugh system, I would include Alex Smith in a group of...

Tony Romo
Jay Cutler
Matt Schaub
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton.

But thus far in 2011 (and perhaps into the future) he is performing better than several of those guys.
I'd defintely take him over Stafford and Ryan, two QBs I feel are highly overated. Him and Romo are probably a wash. I think Romo is a better passer but a worst decision maker. But I don't feel he performs better in the WCO than the rest of the guys you have mentioned, under Jimbaugh's mentorship. I think people forget just how good Cutler looked when he was a young pup in Denver. And I've eaten a buffet-sized plate of crow on Newton this year. You would defintely take some lumps and bruises with him as your starter but as Jimbaugh once famously said, "thats plutonium grade raw material right there".
Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

The thing that is offsetting Alex's lack of yardage and whatever is his good decision making this season. Stafford and Ryan may have more yards and touchdowns, but their decision making hasn't been the best this season from what I've seen. It's still good for the most part, but they've had some up down games too.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with phly's list except for Ryan , Ryan is an overrated turd right now. I think Stafford will be a baller in a year or so.

Romo is a freaking good QB, much better than Alex, he just has too much of a microscope on him.

Last edited by binary : 12-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Of the guys on my list, I believe Alex has performed better and/or more consistently than...

Philip Rivers
Jay Cutler
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Of the guys on my list, I believe Alex has performed better and/or more consistently than...

Philip Rivers
Jay Cutler
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton.
and you'd be right.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Philip Rivers
Jay Cutler
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton.
I think Cutler has played consistently good , considering his OC( yes, I loathe Martz), scheme and his horrid O-Line. And he doesn't have the benefit of a comptent OC, who will actually run the ball to take some of the pressure of the passing game and from getting his QB killed. He seemed to play better when Martz actually realized he has Marshall Faulk 2.0 in Forte and started scheming as such. But I shudder to think what Alex would look like with that OC, and that line. I don't think it would mirror his play here. Sometimes a bad play-caller and scheme can bring down even the best QB. If anyone should know that, it should be us Niner fans.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heading to game today! Looking forward to tailgating and enjoying some roasted Cardinal this holiday season. Cheers gentlemen!

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

This is gonna be a really tough game imo.
Closed Thread