Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-13-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats when the slow time perk comes in handy with a bow. That, plus high sneak/sneak perks lets me wipe out multiple guys before they even know what hit em.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Thats when the slow time perk comes in handy with a bow. That, plus high sneak/sneak perks lets me wipe out multiple guys before they even know what hit em.
I've tried to focus my perks in one area to get really strong in just that but I still can't. I've upped my archery a lot to get the slow time and others but I've also used a lot of perks to also up smithing and one handed. Light armor as well. I'll have to work on sneak.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, i totally regret some of my early perk choices.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I regret early perks too. I put some points into two-handed weapons and heavy armor, neither of which I ever use now.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I finally started playing last night... got to say not a lot has really changed since Oblivion..

Combat is still awful, it's basically just click and hope, honestly it's like a graphical update of Diablo 1 or something. Just doesn't feel like there is skill, luck or basically anything to it. You basically click until stamina runs out, block until its back and the repeat. Think I'm going to have to try archery or something because the swordplay is just dull and got old after just a couple of hours.

The interface is just awful, so clunky and unintuitive. Takes twice as long to do anything as it should. It makes the whole game tedious, like the smithing for instance.

On the positive, the visuals are awesome, one of the best looking games I've seen and I do like that you can kind of just wander, which is about all I've done so far.

Hopefully get a decent session in sometime soon and make the call if its worth continuing with, the first two elements are really leaning against it though for me, I struggle with games that have awful interfaces and poor combat systems, when two of the most important things are a pain/bore it's tough to get into it. If you are going to over come those things you need a pretty amazing story...

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GTFO of this thread

J/K...kinda.

Combat is great and decently realistic. You're fighting people in an armored shell. If you are tiring of constantly swinging then light the guy on fire first. The addition of finishing moves and environmental kills helps a ton.

Also, this isn't MW3. One lone newb can not just walk around challenging people. The strength of the game is freedom and a sense of being in a living world. Its all about creating stories, which isn't to say combat is an afterthought. You just haven't gotten past the learning curve yet. This game is ridiculously easy.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 12-14-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The combat was never the focus of ES games but skyrim has done it better than any of the other games. Trying using a 1 hander + shield, once you get perks into block and 1h weapons combat becomes a lot more involved.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, if you were looking for fantastic combat, you've picked the wrong series.

Still, Skyrim is far from outright bad. (Ever play DA2? Combat was basically "press A and win.")

All the ES games so far have been click-fests. Once you level up a bit though and add some perks into your weapons style of choice, you become a damn near unstoppable killing machine.

Level up two-handed a bit and you find yourself one shotting all but the most difficult boss level enemies. "Dual Wield Flurry" on daggers is also devastating. "Death by a thousand cuts" anyone?

And being a sneak-archer. Level those skills up a bit and you become a shadow of death.

The biggest problem though are the "mook bosses." For instance:

I haven't been trounced that badly in a video game in YEARS.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
I finally started playing last night... got to say not a lot has really changed since Oblivion..

Combat is still awful, it's basically just click and hope, honestly it's like a graphical update of Diablo 1 or something. Just doesn't feel like there is skill, luck or basically anything to it. You basically click until stamina runs out, block until its back and the repeat. Think I'm going to have to try archery or something because the swordplay is just dull and got old after just a couple of hours.

The interface is just awful, so clunky and unintuitive. Takes twice as long to do anything as it should. It makes the whole game tedious, like the smithing for instance.

On the positive, the visuals are awesome, one of the best looking games I've seen and I do like that you can kind of just wander, which is about all I've done so far.

Hopefully get a decent session in sometime soon and make the call if its worth continuing with, the first two elements are really leaning against it though for me, I struggle with games that have awful interfaces and poor combat systems, when two of the most important things are a pain/bore it's tough to get into it. If you are going to over come those things you need a pretty amazing story...
Those were my exact feelings. TERRIBLE melee combat and GOD AWFUL menus. Whoever designed their menus should be fired. I hate those ******* menus with a god damned passion, if you can't tell. The customization options for skills is downright awful as well. The story's overall plot is decent(the idea behind it anyway) but the dialogue and voice acting are very mediocre.

The world and freedom is magnificent though. Graphics are pretty good (ugh PC games that are still DX9 or have no superior option). That's not what keeps me interested, however. I can see why other people like it far more than I do, because what this game does well, it does extremely well.

And BB, DA2 Combat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skyrim for me. I think DA2 is a better game overall actually. The only thing I'd take in Skyrim over DA2 is the world (obviously they're a bit different). The constant reusage of DA2's limited area is the only thing I had a problem with in DA2.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 12-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The menus are a straight console port. They're abysmal on the PC. I've gotten used to them, but I still swear and stomp every time I click something, only to apparently miss by a hair and close out of the menu.

I've also sold so many things I didn't mean to sell...I probably paid more buying my accidentally sold gear back than I have on legitimately buying goods.

There are some mods which help with that, though the general "slow" clunkiness of the menu remains.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Sovngarde Song by the Miracle of Music:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...de-Song-Skyrim
Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't have any problem with the menus... :\

Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The menus on the PC version are pure ****. They were directly ported from the console version because Bethesda is a bunch of lazy asses who rely on the mod community to fix the PC version issues.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Played again last night(technically I started over)...

Have to say, the magic and archery is actually fun, so I've basically shelved melee because it was just boring as ****, really you just click a button hoping for a cool instakill move and otherwise it's just tedious and boring.

Archery is fun but the magic is super cool(stupid weak as well but that's part of the fun). God I hate that everyone kind of looks the same so far, I've managed to get myself killed like 3 times already from hitting a townguard thinking they were just a regulation bandit.

Not very far in at all but I'd certainly say that it is a game where you want to be an archer/mage because there is just no satisfaction to melee combat. I'd say the melee combat is a step short of awful, it genuinely feels like they decided during development "we are going to make an involved and challenging combat system based on skill" and then realised that would be too much work so they just removed the involved, skilled and challenging part and replaced with just click on ****.

Still liking the open world, though I'm starting to get a WoW feel where I spent 3/4 of the game just running around between places trying to unlock them so I can fast travel. I also find the "sprint" button annoying, I hate games where you have run and sprint, just make me able to sprint everywhere, the only time I'm going to "walk" is when I'm sneaking anyway.

That said, I still think the single greatest addition anyone ever made to a sequel was in KOTOR 2 when they added the force speed or whatever it was called, that was so awesome.

So yeah... basically the game is pretty awesome outside of the melee and the interface, which even with more use doesn't get any better, it's still just horrible. The melee is a shame, basically in this type of game the last thing you want is the combat to be tedious, you either make it quick and easy(think Diablo) or you make it take skill(think KOTOR) but don't sit it in the tedious category.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:53 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

I don't use melee, but there is actually skill when it comes to using a one-handed weapon and a shield. You just need to put a few skill points into it.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

This guy used to be an adventurer like you...

But then....well, you know.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

I hate that meme so much.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Yeah well...you just took one too many arrows to the knee.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
It's rapidly approaching(already there really) the cake is a lie territory.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

I totally did the jump up a mountain face thing...

Yay for having finally done one of those!

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got to 100 smithing. Dragonscale armor looks awesome.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Being a mage is tough. I keep getting one shot killed! Also, I keep forgetting everyone is the same speed in this game, so I have to click sprint to gain separation.

I turn around and the bad guys must all have Chris Johnson speed.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Being a mage is tough. I keep getting one shot killed! Also, I keep forgetting everyone is the same speed in this game, so I have to click sprint to gain separation.

I turn around and the bad guys must all have Chris Johnson speed.
You should still be a little faster with your base speed. Wearing no armor should make you a little faster than people in light armor who are faster than those in heavy armor.

I'm not really a fan of playing mages in ES games. It always ends up being a pain in the ass. (ESPECIALLY back in Morrowind when all the toughest opponents seemed to have reflect. Hit a Winged Twilight with your uber-death spell once and you'll know never to do it again....)

Playing sneaky archers tends to always be my favorite way to go.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
You should still be a little faster with your base speed. Wearing no armor should make you a little faster than people in light armor who are faster than those in heavy armor.

I'm not really a fan of playing mages in ES games. It always ends up being a pain in the ass. (ESPECIALLY back in Morrowind when all the toughest opponents seemed to have reflect. Hit a Winged Twilight with your uber-death spell once and you'll know never to do it again....)

Playing sneaky archers tends to always be my favorite way to go.
I will do that next game. But right now Mage is more fun, especially once you get master level spells. I have leveled up in 2 areas, and I can conjure THRALLs that stay with me forever until killed I guess. So I can summon 2 of those, and then fight. I am pretty tough now, except for when they charge at me, and then I run like a girl, and heal and then have to use a unrelenting force shout and send people flying.

I need to level up in more areas though before I really hit the quests hard.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote