Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
In Lane's defense he has really come on as a motivator and an overall coach.
With all of the built in advantages at USC a monkey could lead them to 9 wins.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just how involved was Fickel as a defensive coordinator at Ohio State? He had that co title.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Just how involved was Fickel as a defensive coordinator at Ohio State? He had that co title.
Heacock designed the defense and called the plays. Co-coordinators are almost always a joke.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fickell was basically the linebackers coach, but he had more say than the other positional coaches. Heacock was the defensive boss.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
With all of the built in advantages at USC a monkey could lead them to 9 wins.
Meh, I have no problem with Kiffen. I was actually one of the few that was very happy with the hire. Best recruiting staff in the nation, and Kiffen has always been a good offensive playcaller. He's putting it together, he is still very young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kiffin is such a great coach, no one knows how to properly spell his name. I hope when his statue is erected outside of the Coliseum that it's spelled "Kiffen"... The legend... ary son of a legendary coordinator.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Meh, I have no problem with Kiffen. I was actually one of the few that was very happy with the hire. Best recruiting staff in the nation, and Kiffen has always been a good offensive playcaller. He's putting it together, he is still very young.
What recruiting talents are necessary to take a car 2 miles down the street and say, "hey, want to play USC?"

Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What recruiting talents are necessary to take a car 2 miles down the street and say, "hey, want to play USC?"
He had a top 5 class coming in at UT when he was there too. Why would kids wanna come to USC during the sanction period? Why not go somewhere else and be able to play for bowls right away, he was still about to get them there.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
He had a top 5 class coming in at UT when he was there too. Why would kids wanna come to USC during the sanction period? Why not go somewhere else and be able to play for bowls right away, he was still about to get them there.
Well, for starters, to get paid lots of money. The cadre of people wanting to **** you and give you drugs is probably nice too.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:27 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, for starters, to get paid lots of money. The cadre of people wanting to **** you and give you drugs is probably nice too.
Thats why everyone who goes to a big time school, goes to big time school. SC is just better at recruiting more addicts, I guess.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...burgh-position

It's official, Fick interviewed for the position

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think Luke Fickell is the most overrated "coach" in all of college football. I say think because there are a lot of coaches, but I can't think of another less-qualified person who has been given so much. At least Lane Kiffen was a good coordinator.
How is he overrated? He was given the reigns to a team late and wasn't expected to do anywhere near as well as he did. The guy was essentially a LB coach thrust into a head coaching position and did fairly well considering...

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 12-17-2011, 04:29 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
How is he overrated? He was given the reigns to a team late and wasn't expected to do anywhere near as well as he did. The guy was essentially a LB coach thrust into a head coaching position and did fairly well considering...
You're wrong. Go back and look at most prognostications before the season started, almost everyone was predicting better than 6-6.

Also, despite all of the distractions, that team was still more talented than almost everyone else they played. There's never an excuse to not at least win 8 games if you're Ohio State.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You're wrong. Go back and look at most prognostications before the season started, almost everyone was predicting better than 6-6.

Also, despite all of the distractions, that team was still more talented than almost everyone else they played. There's never an excuse to not at least win 8 games if you're Ohio State.
I am not wrong, anyone who predicted a good season was fooling themselves. New coach, freshman QB, star players from the year before out, and possible further sanctioning from the NCAA.

I agree with you that the team is more talented but they were just completely different than the year before, even with the suspended players back. Usually a very good tackling team on D, every game was rife with broken tackles. The offense was finding it's identity under a new QB (you can add in QB flip flopping) To be honest this was about what could be expected.

I'll take that last sentence as a compliment as well :)

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 12-17-2011, 05:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yes, you are. You said: "he wasn't expected to do near as well as he did." You didn't say, "I didn't expect him to do anything and anyone who thought otherwise is wrong."

Words and the order you put them in mean things. Figure that out before you speak, or at least before you disagree with me.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am underwhelmed with what fickell did at osu.

He looked woefully unprepared in certain situations and that is inexcusable IMO.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I buy Fickell as a viable candidate at a MAC type school, but Pitt can totally do better than that. Not that they're a powerhouse or anything, but you have to think they can get someone better than a glorified position coach.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pitt kind of has to go for a guy who can recruit and won't leave them out to dry. A lot of the boosters like Fickell and the last 3 coaching moves Pedersen made (forcing Wanny out, hiring Hayward, hiring Graham) were moves that the boosters were against.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yes, you are. You said: "he wasn't expected to do near as well as he did." You didn't say, "I didn't expect him to do anything and anyone who thought otherwise is wrong."

Words and the order you put them in mean things. Figure that out before you speak, or at least before you disagree with me.
Lol, you really that full of yourself sir? You need to chill man.

When I said that he wasn't expected to do nearly as well as he did, I was referring to

A. the administration which put him in this position: They made him an INTERIM head coach. This means they put him in place to at least field a team this year. He wasn't named the new HC because he was not who they ultimately saw as their HC of the future. Their only expectations of him were to guide the team through this time of turmoil and put a team together and on the field with some form of game plan every week.

B. The reasonable fans who aren't so full of their team as to assume that they would be in anything more than a transition year.

Therefor I wasn't speaking of my own opinions at all so the whole not saying "I didn't expect him to do anything and anyone who thought otherwise is wrong." was not the point I was trying to get across, although I include myself in the reasonable fans who didn't expect much out of this season.

My comments about "anyone who predicted a good season was fooling themselves" was responding to your comment of "Go back and look at most prognostications before the season started, almost everyone was predicting better than 6-6."

As it turns out when you make a comment and someone responds to it, the response usually involves some context to your comment. I'm just saying, if you really want to split hairs here...

So how about YOU don't assume you know of what I mean before you disagree with ME

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:

Last edited by Sloopy : 12-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:56 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Nope. You still fail. When you say that "he wasn't expected to do ______" you can't later say, "well I only meant certain people...not other people."

When you say he wasn't expected to do something, you're making a broad statement that those expectations didn't exist. In this case that wasn't/isn't true, so you're still wrong.

Also, there's a difference between reading and assuming. I read your words and understood them for what they are. You failed to properly articulate what you "actually" meant; that's your fault.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When you say he wasn't expected to do something, you're making a broad statement that those expectations didn't exist. In this case that wasn't/isn't true, so you're still wrong.

Also, there's a difference between reading and assuming. I read your words and understood them for what they are. You failed to properly articulate what you "actually" meant; that's your fault.
Your being ridiculous now.

I could make the same argument against you that your claiming of him to be overrated means that you are making a broad statement that EVERYONE thought he would do well.

You can say that you are reading them for what they are and not assuming but nothing that I said implied that those expectations didn't exist to anyone.

In fact, through contextual clues one could assume that I'm talking about the school as the actual sentence broken down delivers the message: he was handed the reigns with no expectations. Who handed him the reigns? The administration. Therefor if anything can be implied by my statements it would be that the administration had no expectations.

In other words how bout you back up your statement of him being overrated rather than trying to build a strawman of grammatical errors that don't exist.

Quote:
When you say that "he wasn't expected to do ______" you can't later say, "well I only meant certain people...not other people."
The fact is that the administration did not expect him to be the successor to JT and neither did any reasonable fans i.e. the majority of pundits did not think he would do well. It's not like I'm saying, "I didn't mean the majority, I just meant this small group over here." I am saying that the majority of people (especially those with functioning brains) did not expect much out of this season.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:

Last edited by Sloopy : 12-17-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:29 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
Your being ridiculous now.
You're.

Quote:
I could make the same argument against you that your claiming of him to be overrated means that you are making a broad statement that EVERYONE thought he would do well.
You could, but it's not the same. Someone being overrated is indicative of the general consensus. In other words, I think that the general opinion of Fickell is too high. In the same way, collectively, most people expected Ohio State to win more than 6 games this year.

Quote:
You can say that you are reading them for what they are and not assuming but nothing that I said implied that those expectations didn't exist to anyone.
It didn't imply it. It said it. That's how words work.

Quote:
In fact, through contextual clues one could assume that I'm talking about the school as the actual sentence broken down delivers the message
********. Also, it's therefore.

Quote:
In other words how bout you back up your statement of him being overrated rather than trying to build a strawman of grammatical errors that don't exist.
They certainly exist. You write, at best, at a junior high level. I usually am not a grammar Nazi, but it's germane to the conversation this time. Your writing is ****, which could be why it's hard to understand you.

Anyway, here's my short argument against Fickell (since I've made it elsewhere).

a) He was mediocre at best as a head coach
b) He has never designed a defense
c) Recruiting abilities in a head coach are massively overrated (Brewster, Zook, Orgeron, for example)
d) He's benefited immensly from having a national profile he never deserved in the first place.

Quote:
The fact is that the administration did not expect him to be the successor to JT and neither did any reasonable fans i.e. the majority of pundits did not think he would do well. It's not like I'm saying, "I didn't mean the majority, I just meant this small group over here." I am saying that the majority of people (especially those with functioning brains) did not expect much out of this season.
You're wrong. Go back and look.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 12-17-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Looks like Chryst is going to get hired anyway.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looks like Chryst is going to get hired anyway.
He hasn't even interviewed yet.

All signs point to one of...

Paul Chryst
Luke Fickell
Mario Cristobal

I don't even care anymore. I just want a coach that will...

Stay for a while (show commitment)
Recruit well, both regionally as well as Florida, etc.
Keep Rushel Shell, Chad Voytik, and Adam Bisnowaty.

Last edited by phlysac : 12-17-2011 at 10:42 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You're.
Nice comeback

Quote:
You could, but it's not the same. Someone being overrated is indicative of the general consensus. In other words, I think that the general opinion of Fickell is too high. In the same way, collectively, most people expected Ohio State to win more than 6 games this year.
As was my point that the general consensus did not expect much, nor did the people who put him in charge.

Quote:
It didn't imply it. It said it. That's how words work.
You can argue this until your blue in the face but nothing that I said implied (or said for that matter) anything one way or the other. However if you were to try and draw from contextual clues who I was talking about it would be the school itself.

Quote:
********. Also, it's therefore.
Again, the point is that you were assuming what I meant. Saying "********" doesn't make you right; I can swear too.

Also congratulations on finding my typo, your reaching for straws here.

Quote:
They certainly exist.
You did little to show that anything I said would grammatically lead someone to believe I meant one thing over the other. Your only argument has been the "I'm right, your wrong" approach which is, at best, very weak.

Quote:
You write, at best, at a junior high level.
Lol, yes because you are qualified to determine my writing ability. You have such a large sample size of essay's and so many compilations of my writing with which to judge my ability to read and communicate the english language through text.

You have a draft board which I post comments on... however continue to carry on in your pretentious manner.

Quote:
I usually am not a grammar Nazi, but it's germane to the conversation this time. Your writing is ****, which could be why it's hard to understand you.
Hahahaha, oh big word sir. Following up your comment about my writing at a junior high level with a word you looked up in the online thesaurus. I'm now convinced of your qualifications with which to judge my writing skills.

Not to mention that grammar is hardly applicable to the conversation as the actual crux of the argument is whether or not Fick is overrated.

Oh and what's this? Followed up with a swear word. Yes you are clearly able to articulate what you mean with such elegance.

I am deeming myself qualified to judge your reading ability and claim it to be lacking at best (maybe around an elementary level); Hence why you find it hard to understand my superior writing ability.

See... I can do this too

However, lets just stick to the argument at hand:
Quote:
Anyway, here's my short argument against Fickell (since I've made it elsewhere).

a) He was mediocre at best as a head coach
b) He has never designed a defense
c) Recruiting abilities in a head coach are massively overrated (Brewster, Zook, Orgeron, for example)
d) He's benefited immensly from having a national profile he never deserved in the first place.

You're wrong. Go back and look.
A. You are correct, he was a terrible HC, I really don't see many intelligent/knowledgeable fans claiming him to be a great HC.

B. Again correct, he was essentially a LB coach.

C. (It's Oregon... maybe Aragorn?) Yes it is

D. This is also true.

The fact is that the school never expected him to be a great HC or they would have given him the job outright and would have given him more than a year to prove himself.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:

Last edited by Sloopy : 12-17-2011 at 11:33 PM.