Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
"Yellgate" is the stupidest controversy ever.

--

Our defense just needs to be healthy. They are good enough. It's hard to be good when your backups are playing 50%+ of the season.

The Patriots (only) need a safety and a center. The rest of their problems could be plugged with quality veterans. This off-season they invested too much FA money in backup DL and bad DBs. They made two bad trades which they relied on those players too long, stopping them from making good moves.

If NE gets a starting quality safety, a starter at center, and a high quality cornerback (that can take over when Dowling gets hurt) in their first 3 draft picks - they might go back to lethal. Obviously, this team isn't a favorite to win a Super Bowl. Then again, that corner could be a quality veteran.
I agree to a point that the defense doesn't exactly need a major overhaul to be good, but the biggest issue is depth. Sure injuries in the secondary have been bad this year but when you are starting guys for multiple games who shouldn't be on 53 man rosters it's a bad situation.

One of the most embarassing things I ever seen was the primetime game against the Jets when they done the intros and we had 2 defensive starters who didn't have one. You can't even blame the network because who in their right mind would think Jeff Tarpinian and Sterling Moore would even be playing let alone starting.

Realistically, if everyone was healthy we would be a true centrefielder away from having a pretty good defense. It's the only major hole this year. But at DE Carter can't be expected to put up double digit sacks next year and Anderson may not be expected to play as well either. Then at DT VW isn't the youngest and the rest of the guys are role players. I love Kyle Love but I wouldn't be thrilled if VW went down and Love had to play starter minutes.

In an ideal world I would like to get a 5 technique DE who can slide inside in a 4 man line. A DE or OLB to help rush the passer. A true FS to let Chung play SS and a slot CB. In an ideal world.

I really don't buy the whole we need a LB talk. Mayo is as solid as they come. May not be the biggest playmaker but he does what is needed. Spikes brings a great intensity and power hitting, Fletcher is just a great athlete who makes plays and Ninko has had a great year and is dependable.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We've apparently extended Mayo's contract by five years, meaning he's under contract through the 2018 season. I like it, although I haven't seen the numbers yet. Mayo may not be elite, but he's pretty damn good to have on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll be without Deion Branch tomorrow. I think it's finally time for Taylor Price's breakout game.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ElectricEye again.

Who wants to bet Underwood will get the start over 85?

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'll likely see a it of a mix between the two, with Underwood getting the majority of the snaps. It's tough to say what we plan to do with receivers anymore.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-18-2011, 11:21 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think we'll likely see a it of a mix between the two, with Underwood getting the majority of the snaps. It's tough to say what we plan to do with receivers anymore.
I really don't know what the hell is going on with Ocho. I could buy the whole he won't play in the two WR no huddle sets with Welker and Branch playing, but there is no excuse to be behind Underwood on the depth chart

Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

There's no real reason for him to. As bad as Chad has been, Underwood has shown next to nothing besides the ability to get down field and not make easy catches. Chad has made some catches, at the very least. Must be something we're not seeing going on in the practices...or Chad really is that useless.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
RT @JosinaAnderson: Agent Carl Poston just told me "looks like Andre (Carter) has a quad-related injury that will require surgery."

- @RapSheet
Devastating loss. Oh God.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Huge blow to an already historically awful defense. Say good by to the pass rush too I guess....

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-18-2011, 10:56 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So, after thinking it over a bit, there's a few things to take out of this and a few ways to look at it.

The positive spin would be that we put up 40+ against a defense playing really good football. The negative one would be that the defense continues to look terrible and was only able to stop Denver when we forced them out of running their offense by getting a lead. They really gave us the game at the end of the first half/start of the second with the turnovers.

The running game came back a bit, but those were kind of deceptive yards. Effective ones, but I don't feel like we showed anything that says it will be a viable weapon if we NEEDED to do it.

I felt like Denver did a pretty good job of taking away Gronkowski and they TOTALLY took away the down the field stuff. We pretty much ran a dumpoff style passing game today with a lot of screens and underneath plays to Hernandez, who they seemed intent on not covering at all. That's concerning to me. Against a team who can score with us and isn't turning the ball over, I'm convinced that will be a bit of a problem.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-19-2011, 12:01 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go Ninersasdf
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Against a team who can score with us and isn't turning the ball over, I'm convinced that will be a bit of a problem.
The number of teams that are able to do that are slim though.

The D was caused 13 early points and totally shut out the Broncos basically in the 2nd quarter, when the Patriots slit the jugular, though.

The O had such a short field on most of those possessions. It's amazing we only got 13 points off of turnovers (and only 10 off of Broncos O turnovers) in the first half.

The patriots made a few mistakes early in run support (Deaderick bit in quite a few times even though he shouldn't have) and gave up a few big plays. Other than that, the Broncos were well on their way to another 45-3 blowout like the Lions gave them.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The game yesterday was impressive for the most part; aside from the slow start New England was able to have their way with Denver's defense. The wide receivers made some nice progress; Ochocinco getting open deep for a touchdown against man coverage and Tiquan Underwood making a nice catch. Stevan Ridley ran well and Aaron Hernandez had a breakout game. The tackling on kick/punt coverage was outstanding by the entire team; Julian Edelman in particular. The defense picked up three sacks and recovered three fumbles. The safety play still needs to improve and losing Andre Carter is really going to hurt but aside from that the Patriots played a pretty damn good game.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I agree with that Matthew. I don't think any of us can say we were confident after the first ten minutes or so of the game but the defensive adjustments that were made were fantastic. I also know it's a bit rich saying this since the offense scored 41, but this was another game where we left points on the field.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently the adjustment on D was going from an even front to an odd one. Carter and Anderson at OLBs

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Apparently the adjustment on D was going from an even front to an odd one. Carter and Anderson at OLBs
I don't like the fit of Carter at OLB but that's a moot point now. Anderson has really good athleticism and could be good standing up. This would give more flexibility along the line especially.

Warren, Wilfork, Deaderick
Warren, Love, Wilfork
Brace, Wilfork, Warren
Brace, Love, Wilfork

Then at LB you could have Anderson and Ninko at OLB with Mayo inside and rotate Spikes and Fletcher. The less Tracey White the better.

Clearly in no way saying that Carter's injury is good but with the personnel we have at the minute it actually may be better, if Anderson can translate well at OLB

Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody else hoping that we promote Markell Carter if Carter goes on IR? I think Reiss said that he's been practice player of the week six times now and he is making more than $300k on practice squad which is a lot. I like his athleticism, and if he gets it in practice he should on the field as well imo.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Anybody else hoping that we promote Markell Carter if Carter goes on IR? I think Reiss said that he's been practice player of the week six times now and he is making more than $300k on practice squad which is a lot. I like his athleticism, and if he gets it in practice he should on the field as well imo.
I'm intrigued with his athleticism and potential. I wouldn't read too much into the whole practice player of the week though. I seem to remember Shawn Crable winning that a few times as well.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

How much credit does the defense deserve for making adjustments in the second half when Denver put themselves in situations where they needed to throw to get back in the game? We did a ton better, sure...but Denver wasn't exactly able to run their offense the way they had been in the first half.

We beat a team that had been playing very good football and we deserve credit for that certainly though. I'm just not pleased with this teams inability to put 60 minutes of good football together on both sides of the ball. You can't afford to do that against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay....or against teams that can match up with us really. Denver bailed us out as much as we won this game.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
How much credit does the defense deserve for making adjustments in the second half when Denver put themselves in situations where they needed to throw to get back in the game? We did a ton better, sure...but Denver wasn't exactly able to run their offense the way they had been in the first half.

We beat a team that had been playing very good football and we deserve credit for that certainly though. I'm just not pleased with this teams inability to put 60 minutes of good football together on both sides of the ball. You can't afford to do that against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay....or against teams that can match up with us really. Denver bailed us out as much as we won this game.
I agree although I think a lot of people say how the Broncos gave it up with 3 fumbles and don't credit the defense with 2 of them.

The thing that is kinda irking me at the minute is leaving points on the board. It isn't a big deal when your putting 40 up on a team, but against the better teams in the AFC that's not going to happen. We can't afford to be leaving plays inside the redzone and settling for field goals.

The problem I see in the AFC this year is that the 3 best teams outside of NE are Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Houston. With Big Ben hurting and Schaub out I don't really think any of their offenses could rival the Pats, however it's almost as though we're spotting offenses about 10 points per game with our crappy D. Even if Pittsburgh for example aren't firing on all I would still expect them to put up 25+ on our defense.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The points left on the field certainly can't happen in the playoffs. If we want to win a SINGLE game, we can't afford to let that happen because I have never seen a defense this badly in forever, and there is no way they are going to bail us out of any sticky situations.

What worries me was how badly the run defense was yesterday, here I was thinking that we had to worry about teams with an explosive passing game but now it looks like teams like the Ravens and Steelers who are capable of running the ball are going to give us just as much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
The points left on the field certainly can't happen in the playoffs. If we want to win a SINGLE game, we can't afford to let that happen because I have never seen a defense this badly in forever, and there is no way they are going to bail us out of any sticky situations.

What worries me was how badly the run defense was yesterday, here I was thinking that we had to worry about teams with an explosive passing game but now it looks like teams like the Ravens and Steelers who are capable of running the ball are going to give us just as much trouble.
Yeah I could possibly brush over the 90 odd yards Tebow got because it is so unfamiliar to play against a run option QB in the NFL. But the big gains on the ground by McGahee and Ball were really bad. I just think they wen't out and tried to react to what the Broncos were doing and got knocked off the ball way too often.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Yeah I could possibly brush over the 90 odd yards Tebow got because it is so unfamiliar to play against a run option QB in the NFL. But the big gains on the ground by McGahee and Ball were really bad. I just think they wen't out and tried to react to what the Broncos were doing and got knocked off the ball way too often.
Mayo was quoted as saying something similar to this in the locker room after the game. He said they were just trying to react to the Tebow instead of reading keys and just going. Either way there is really just nothing impressive to come away with this defense each and every week. We can reach for excuses, but I don't see anything to be encouraged about going into the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That happens a lot with this defense. They react. The Pittsburgh game was a prime example. They'd sit back in their (good) coverage and just wait for the ball to be thrown and react from there rather than reading what was in front of them and making a ******* play.

The Pittsburgh game was an easy win for the Pats if they play defense instead of reacting. The fundamentals on defense were great, but no one strapped on a nutsack to make a play in the passing game.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I wouldn't totally toss out the Tebow yards. Some of them were just garbage, acceptable gains on third and long...but the missed tackles are super concerning and something we've seen too much of. Way too many guys going high yesterday. Slater in particular looked horrible....as did Ninkovich. Not really reasonable to expect anything else out of him, but he's out there so you have to take it into account.

R.I.P. Junior Seau