Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question for everyone -

For the off-season, if he was to become an UFA, would anyone be in favor of signing WR DeSean Jackson? Just curious.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Question for everyone -

For the off-season, if he was to become an UFA, would anyone be in favor of signing WR DeSean Jackson? Just curious.
Hell yeah. Same for Colston.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:01 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So i heard that Delanie Walker broke his jaw. Might be out for the rest of the year, including playoffs. Do we activate Konrad Reuland from the PS then? The players were calling him (Jay) "Novachek" in training camp. Apparently didn't make the 53 because he had to work on his blocking and strength training.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:03 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Question for everyone -

Not really. The guy is not a complete WR and a malcontent. Rather go after Bowe, Meacheam, Schilens in that order. No Colston either. We need a legitmate deep threat, big WR who is a target in the red-zone to help with our scoring problems in that part of the field. Colston is basically a bigger version of Crabtree(with better hands). We have K-10 in that slot guy role and I think he shown enough to see if he can take the next step in the off-season. We need a big target(well bigger than the guys we currently have, not including Edwards) in the red-zone, and a legitmate deep threat to open up the middle of the field for VD, Crabs and Walker to work some. And throw in K-10 in the slot and that's a dangerous passing attack. Would love Vincent Jackson too but he's injured far too much to throw huge dollars at. Also think we'll re-sign Morgan so throw him into the mix as well.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 12-25-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
So i heard that Delanie Walker broke his jaw. Might be out for the rest of the year, including playoffs. Do we activate Konrad Reuland from the PS then? The players were calling him (Jay) "Novachek" in training camp. Apparently didn't make the 53 because he had to work on his blocking and strength training.
I don't think we have any other choice really. But if we did, I wouldn't expect it to happen until after the Rams game. I think Pelle can fill in for a week, then we bring Reuland up and and he has 2 weeks to get himself accilmated for his first playoff game of his young career. I'd suspect he'd be third on the depth chart. Shame we didn't have Byham this year. With his blocking, think our running game would have been that much better in those 3 TE sets. If he blocking hasn't improve much though, we might just go with more 2 RB personel and use Miller almost like a H-Back. Walker has become a much improved blocker and that's where we going to miss him the most....in the running game.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 12-25-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:17 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Question for everyone -

Absolutely not. I really wouldn't want that kind of diva receiver on the team. The kind of guy who dogs it when he isn't getting enough catches or things aren't going his way. He's going to get a quarterback killed. I hate guys like that.

Obviously I don't know the guy, but he always came off as a pure diva receiver to me. I'd much rather have Colston. But he's smart. He won't leave the Saints.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:24 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Yup, it's really time for Braylon to step up.
No. It's time for him to go to the bench.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colston is slow as molasses. Give me Bowe over Jackson or Colston.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:11 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want a receiver that has reliable hands. Crabtree is certainly getting there but Colston or Bowe would be awesome.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Colston is slow as molasses. Give me Bowe over Jackson or Colston.
Colston isn't that slow. Not like Hines Ward or anything. And he'll definitely be able to catch the ball.

Part of the problem that our receivers are having issues though is quarterback. A good quarterback makes issues like drops subside a little bit. Hopefully Smith gets better next year and this isn't that big of a deal anymore.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2011, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been saying this and it become evident every week when Braylon fails in this role - we need a BIG WR; possession type and redzone threat. This type of WR wil compliment our current core and gove the coaching staff ability to create even more match up issues for the opposition.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 12-25-2011, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I've been saying this and it become evident every week when Braylon fails in this role - we need a BIG WR; possession type and redzone threat. This type of WR wil compliment our current core and gove the coaching staff ability to create even more match up issues for the opposition.
We have one in Josh Morgan. He's just hurt. That really isn't the problem though. Its' quarterback. You have a good quarterback and anyone will look good. Look no further than the Colts. Reggie Wayne is having a bad year due to bad quarterback play.

I'm not saying this just as an excuse to ***** about Alex Smith. I'm just saying that it won't matter who we get at receiver that much until the quarterback play gets better.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On-target drops, which have been a big problem this year, are in no way Smith's fault
Old 12-25-2011, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
On-target drops, which have been a big problem this year, are in no way Smith's fault
No one is saying the receivers dropping passes are Alex's fault. What I am saying is just that those kind of mistakes can be overcome with good quarterback play. Atlanta, Green Bay, and Detroit are in the top five for passes dropped. But look at what their quarterbacks have done. Just goes to show it doesn't really matter that much.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
No one is saying the receivers dropping passes are Alex's fault. What I am saying is just that those kind of mistakes can be overcome with good quarterback play. Atlanta, Green Bay, and Detroit are in the top five for passes dropped. But look at what their quarterbacks have done. Just goes to show it doesn't really matter that much.
Cmon, it matters. Sure, Atlanta, Green Bay, and Detroit have more TOTAL drops. They also have a ridiculously higher amount of attempts.

Alex Smith - 415
Matt Ryan - 505 + Tomorrow night
Aaron Rodgers - 502
Matt Stafford - 604

They each have like 100 more passes. You don't think 100 more passes would yield more drops?

Despite so few passes attempted, the 49ers have 3 of the top 16 players in "on-targets drops."
Old 12-25-2011, 10:56 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Cmon, it matters. Sure, Atlanta, Green Bay, and Detroit have more TOTAL drops. They also have a ridiculously higher amount of attempts.

Alex Smith - 415
Matt Ryan - 505 + Tomorrow night
Aaron Rodgers - 502
Matt Stafford - 604

They each have like 100 more passes. You don't think 100 more passes would yield more drops?

Despite so few passes attempted, the 49ers have 3 of the top 16 players in "on-targets drops."

Very true but what I think Ness is referring to is the missed throws. Alex misses his fair amount of throws that good QB's routinely make. Let's not mince words here, that is defintely a problem. And yes, ALL quarterbacks miss throws but I watch ALOT of football and Alex misses alot more than the average QBs around the league miss, and they're usually the ones for big gains. His mechanics are still lacking and I hope Jimbaugh spends alot of time this off-season working on his mechanics because it would make a world of difference.

As far as WRs go, I have made my wishes known here before. But I was looking over the entire free agent list and made a early little wish list on guys I think would help us take that next step, next year. Guys in bold I really want....

OG - Roberto Garza, Jake Scott, Jacob Bell, Ben Grubbs

OLB - Kroy Biermann, Bryan Thomas, Quentin Groves

ILB - Gary Guyton, Kirk Morrison, Bryan Kehl

S - Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool, Chris Hope, Craig Stellz

CB - Brandon Carr, Jason Allen, Terrell Thomas, Tracey Porter, Eric Wright

QB - Josh Johnson

FB - Spencer Larsen

I think we'll resign Alex, Morgan, and Brooks and franchise Goldson. The rest of the free agents will be replaced.....or upgraded depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that Rogers is more important than Goldson...
Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I think that Rogers is more important than Goldson...
Not even. We have young players waiting in the wings at CB. Young pups like Cully and Brock make Rodgers expendable if he wants to break the bank. And you still have a vet like Spencer still under contract. Goldson, Reggie Smith, Madieu Williams, and CJ Spillman are all free agents. There is no one waiting in the wings behind them, making that position, i.e. Goldson, a priority. You dont franchise a 31 year old CB unless he is a elite player, which Rodgers isn't.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:28 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Colston isn't that slow. Not like Hines Ward or anything. And he'll definitely be able to catch the ball.

Part of the problem that our receivers are having issues though is quarterback. A good quarterback makes issues like drops subside a little bit. Hopefully Smith gets better next year and this isn't that big of a deal anymore.
No. The big issue is they are dropping balls and coming up short on key plays in games. Our receivers lead the league in on-target drops/attempt in the entire league. This has been going on all season.

Last edited by binary : 12-26-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:30 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
They cant be overcome when you barely pass the ball. We are last in passing attemps, it's not part of Harbaugh's O, it never has been. Harbaugh's O is based on EXECUTION above all else. You're reaching big time.

Bleh, I just realized phlysac pretty much said it all.

Last edited by binary : 12-26-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Not even. We have young players waiting in the wings at CB. Young pups like Cully and Brock make Rodgers expendable if he wants to break the bank. And you still have a vet like Spencer still under contract. Goldson, Reggie Smith, Madieu Williams, and CJ Spillman are all free agents. There is no one waiting in the wings behind them, making that position, i.e. Goldson, a priority. You dont franchise a 31 year old CB unless he is a elite player, which Rodgers isn't.
Do you know how long we've been waiting for a CB to play at a Pro Bowl level here? Do you know how long we've had a crap secondary with crap or overrated CBs? wtf, now you are just going to let him go? Baalke has ALREADY tried to re-sign Rogers, it's obvious he's a priority.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:07 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
They cant be overcome when you barely pass the ball. We are last in passing attemps, it's not part of Harbaugh's O, it never has been. Harbaugh's O is based on EXECUTION above all else. You're reaching big time.

Bleh, I just realized phlysac pretty much said it all.
Did it ever occur to you that Harbaugh just isn't shoving Alex into the water because he knows he's not going to carry the team that consistently like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers? He's just not there yet, and he might never be. Harbaugh has had him passing the ball a lot more the last quarter of the season. Alex has also missed a lot of plays for deep gains. Especially down the sidelines when a receiver is open and gets separation. He either throws it out of bounds or puts too much air on it.

If your starting quarterback isn't that great, why would you go in every Sunday putting the game on his shoulders?

Quote:
Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
No. The big issue is they are dropping balls and coming up short on key plays in games. Our receivers lead the league in on-target drops/attempt in the entire league. This has been going on all season.
Where did you find this statistic?

Even if the receivers are having issues, this doesn't change the fact that Smith isn't hitting big plays when they are there most of the time. Hasselbeck dealt with this issue in Seattle for a couple of seasons with Darrell Jackson and Koren Robinson dropping everything coming their way in the early 2000's. The thing is, Hasselbeck still came through because he's a good player.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 12-26-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Not only do we need a tall guy, we need a guy who can get separation. I don't know if it's been the case all season, but in the Seahawks game every time they panned out you could see that our receivers were getting nothing. That's why I'd prefer a guy like Bowe over Colston, explosiveness, change of direction. VD seems to only be effective on straight-line routes. It's a freakin' miracle Alex played as well as he did.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:16 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Where did you find this statistic?

Even if the receivers are having issues, this doesn't change the fact that Smith isn't hitting big plays when they are there most of the time.
The bolded is where I have issue. This is where I think separates the "haters" from the "lovers", so to speak. He hasn't missed the big plays "most of the time." He's missed "some" of them, which NEEDS to be improved. All of us "lovers" are saying that the receivers need to improve as well. TEAM game. The receivers have missed "some" of the big plays, as well. It can't be one or the other. If we agree that QB play should be better, than the 1st step in "dealing with what you've got" is having the receivers step up and make plays when given the opportunity.