Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 2012 Draft Needs

I don't even know where to begin with needs. Who should we look at in the first round?

O-LINE: We have invested so much money into our O-line and it's arguably the biggest weakness on the team. Neither tackle has graded out well. At this point we can't rely on Smith with his concussions (even when healthy he was a liability).

RB: Rams fans have been saying it for years, but we have to start looking for a replacement for SJax.

WR: Lloyd was a great pickup, but only worthy of the 5th round pick if we can get him re-signed. That would be huge.

DT: No doubt this is a big need. We have nothing to speak of at the position.

OLB: Huge need.

S: Huge need.

CB: 10 DBs put on IR in 2011 and counting. No doubt we could use a shutdown corner and should target one early and often.
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is safety a huge need?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
How is safety a huge need?
Other than Mikell what else do we have?
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darian Stewart is pretty good. He's been a nice surprise this season.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a few thoughts to throw out there regarding this year's draft...

1) Is there any chance that if Matt Barkley wows the scouts at the combine the Rams are able to trade down? I would love to see us pick up some additional ammo.

2) Has anyone heard whether or not LaMichael James is coming out early? If so, where do you see him going in the draft? My guess is that he is a solid 2nd rounder, and would be a 1st rounder if he weighed 210. He would be an ideal 3rd down back to pair up with Jackson.

3) In the event that we have the 2nd pick and choose NOT to trade down, who is the best player available? My guess is Kalil...but do we really want to invest in another OT?

4) How big are Janoris Jenkins' off-field issues? He is from the muck down in Pahokee, where some of the league's best receivers and corners come out of...3 drug arrests in a few months...but when Tebow was there he was part of Tim's college ministry. Makes you wonder if he is just a bit lost and needs a strong mentor. Then again, do we have a strong mentor on this team?

5) In reading a recent article about the Rams' woes under Spagnuolo, it appears to me that we should consider the old saying that "the best defense is a great offense." We are simply falling further and further behind the rest of the league by not having explosive players that cause defensive coordinators to lose sleep at night. We need a receiver that can stretch the field and a running back that can make them pay for it. I like TY Hilton of FIU in the 3rd round, and LaMichael James if he comes out in the 2nd...

6) Scott Wright compares Stanford OG David DeCastro to Steve Hutchinson. If he is that kind of run-blocking mauler then I want him on my team.

7) A player that I will be watching for in the upcoming months is Tulsa WR Damaris Johnson, who is the NCAA's all-time leader in all-purpose yardage, after only 3 seasons. Just before his senior season, he was caught in a department store discounting scandal with his girlfriend and kicked off the team. He could be the kind of player who gets his head on straight and comes out with a huge chip on his shoulder. I saw him a few times earlier in his career and he reminded me of Dante Hall...quicker than fast and can stop on a dime; excellent at changing direction.

Any thoughts?
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Just a few thoughts to throw out there regarding this year's draft...

1) Is there any chance that if Matt Barkley wows the scouts at the combine the Rams are able to trade down? I would love to see us pick up some additional ammo.

2) Has anyone heard whether or not LaMichael James is coming out early? If so, where do you see him going in the draft? My guess is that he is a solid 2nd rounder, and would be a 1st rounder if he weighed 210. He would be an ideal 3rd down back to pair up with Jackson.

3) In the event that we have the 2nd pick and choose NOT to trade down, who is the best player available? My guess is Kalil...but do we really want to invest in another OT?

4) How big are Janoris Jenkins' off-field issues? He is from the muck down in Pahokee, where some of the league's best receivers and corners come out of...3 drug arrests in a few months...but when Tebow was there he was part of Tim's college ministry. Makes you wonder if he is just a bit lost and needs a strong mentor. Then again, do we have a strong mentor on this team?

5) In reading a recent article about the Rams' woes under Spagnuolo, it appears to me that we should consider the old saying that "the best defense is a great offense." We are simply falling further and further behind the rest of the league by not having explosive players that cause defensive coordinators to lose sleep at night. We need a receiver that can stretch the field and a running back that can make them pay for it. I like TY Hilton of FIU in the 3rd round, and LaMichael James if he comes out in the 2nd...

6) Scott Wright compares Stanford OG David DeCastro to Steve Hutchinson. If he is that kind of run-blocking mauler then I want him on my team.

7) A player that I will be watching for in the upcoming months is Tulsa WR Damaris Johnson, who is the NCAA's all-time leader in all-purpose yardage, after only 3 seasons. Just before his senior season, he was caught in a department store discounting scandal with his girlfriend and kicked off the team. He could be the kind of player who gets his head on straight and comes out with a huge chip on his shoulder. I saw him a few times earlier in his career and he reminded me of Dante Hall...quicker than fast and can stop on a dime; excellent at changing direction.

Any thoughts?

1. Absolutely, Luck, Barkley and RG3 could all go in the top 8. Heck the latest rumor is some teams prefer RG3 to Andrew Luck. Rams will have a chance to move down, just a matter of if they want to or not.

2. Yeah James already declared for the draft. I think he goes late 2nd- mid 3rd.

3. If we are stuck at #3 overall. Best player will be Morris Claiborne. Shutdown corner. I think Kalil goes #2 to the Vikings.

4. We have plenty of strong mentors. Rams locker room is very strong IMO. But I don't see this current staff taking a guy like Jenkins. Doesn't really fit the "profile"

5. TY Hilton, LaMichael James, Kendall Wright, Lamar Miller, Chris Rainey, BJ Cunningham....

6. Well he's a top 20 pick. So the Rams probably won't be getting him.

7. Isn't he like 5'4 150 pounds?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for your feedback. A few thoughts after the weekend...

1) If Indy wins another game and the Rams lose out, suddenly we have the #1 pick due to strength of schedule. That could get very interesting.

2) I saw that James declared for the draft after I had written this. I really like him. He could be a player we pick up with an extra 2nd rounder if we were to trade down.

3) Right now we have the #2 pick. I don't know why mocks all show us at #3...I don't see us beating Pittsburgh or San Francisco. I think I would go ahead and take Khalil if I were staying there...we definitely need a cornerstone to build on.

4) Just curious as to why you think Jenkins doesn't "fit the profile"? Is it because of his off-field issues? His coverage skills are excellent.

5) I am going to take a look at a few of these other guys that you mentioned. I haven't seen all of them play this year.

6) Agreed, unless there was a trade-down scenario where we picked up two #1's.

7) Damaris Johnson is a smaller guy, but not that small. He is listed at 5'8" and 170. There are smaller guys in the NFL.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

RG3 had a huge game last night, only helps the Rams in my opinion. There will be a teamgiving up a lot for both stud quarterbacks. So even if we have the #2 pick I still think we could get a crapload for it.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

There has been a lot of talk about Miami and Washington both being teams that might be willing to trade up for a franchise QB. Now that the draft order is out, I find myself questioning those scenarios.

Miami will have the #9 pick, which would almost certainly put them out of the running unless they were willing to part with a boatload of other picks, including probably at least 2 future 1st rounders.

Washinton is in better shape at #6, but this is still quite a jump to #1. Trading up to #2 is more reasonable for the Redskins, but would still require a lot of ammo. History has shown that teams trading down from the top of the draft really want to still take a top 5 player.

One team that hasn't been discussed much is Cleveland at #4. How much of a player could they be? Colt McCoy hasn't done anything great and the Browns certainly must have thought they would see more progress after 2 seasons with Holmgren running the show. A trade down to #4 would ensure that at least one of the top tier non-QB's would still be available.

Minnesota appears to hold a wild card of sorts. Are they truly satisfied with Ponder? I don't believe that Washington or Cleveland can believe that RGIII would fall to them without someone trading higher and snatching him up.

I really hope the Rams have made a change in the front office by then and brought in a new GM. In the past the Rams have missed out on great trade opportunities and just taken a player, with mixed results. Bringing in a GM like AJ Smith from San Diego could bring immediate results. He has pulled the trigger on blockbuster trades in the past and reaped rewards.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:26 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
There has been a lot of talk about Miami and Washington both being teams that might be willing to trade up for a franchise QB. Now that the draft order is out, I find myself questioning those scenarios.

Miami will have the #9 pick, which would almost certainly put them out of the running unless they were willing to part with a boatload of other picks, including probably at least 2 future 1st rounders.

Washinton is in better shape at #6, but this is still quite a jump to #1. Trading up to #2 is more reasonable for the Redskins, but would still require a lot of ammo. History has shown that teams trading down from the top of the draft really want to still take a top 5 player.

One team that hasn't been discussed much is Cleveland at #4. How much of a player could they be? Colt McCoy hasn't done anything great and the Browns certainly must have thought they would see more progress after 2 seasons with Holmgren running the show. A trade down to #4 would ensure that at least one of the top tier non-QB's would still be available.

Minnesota appears to hold a wild card of sorts. Are they truly satisfied with Ponder? I don't believe that Washington or Cleveland can believe that RGIII would fall to them without someone trading higher and snatching him up.

I really hope the Rams have made a change in the front office by then and brought in a new GM. In the past the Rams have missed out on great trade opportunities and just taken a player, with mixed results. Bringing in a GM like AJ Smith from San Diego could bring immediate results. He has pulled the trigger on blockbuster trades in the past and reaped rewards.
I think Cleveland can sit there at #4 and still be able to get RG3. At the end of the day as much as I hate to say it I think us and Minnesota have the same big board. 1. Matt Kalil 2. Justin Blackmon 3. Morris Claiborne . Ponder was picked 12th overall last year, no way they give up on him already. I actually think maybe Minnesota trades for the #1 pick to get in front of St. Louis to select Matt Kalil.

I disagree with you about AJ Smith, He's not that good of a GM. Letting Sproles go? that fiasco with Vincent Jackson? Making Eric Weddle the highest paid safety in the NFL? My #1 option is Reggie McKenzie. The Packers Director of Football Operations.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a fan of AJ Smith either, can't argue with the talent he managed to get together in San Diego though, problem is he seems to border on that ridiculous ego/self belief line and tends to treat his top stars as replaceable a bit to easy.

Although considering the guff we've had at GM for the last decade, I might be willing to risk a GM pissing me off by playing hard ball with top quality players, if it meant we would win the odd game.
Beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

It's a moot point now; Dean Spanos let AJ Smith and Norv Turner keep their jobs for another year.

Honestly, though, I really don't care how big of a jerk our GM is if he knows how to spot talent when he sees it. In my opinion, there are a few teams that stand out above the league when it comes to getting talent out of the draft, and the Chargers are one of them. They consistently hit on the players that are supposed to make an impact in the early rounds, and find some gems in the rough in the lower rounds as well. They take the time to go see if a guy is worth taking in the supplemental draft and get him several rounds lower than he would go in the regular draft. They draft the best player available instead of drafting for need, and because of it they have talent at every position, with depth as well. When a guy who is projected in the 3rd round drops to the 6th or 7th, they nab him up, even if they don't need a safety or a linebacker or whatever position he plays. Along with a huge ego he is extremely competitive and wants to have 53 pro-bowlers on his roster.

We have been competing at a huge disadvantage for years now because we don't have that guy who can pull real players from the draft every year. Our drafting philosophy has been wishy-washy and we have one of the least talented teams in the league to show for it. Granted, we do have some very good players at key positions, but the bottom line is that we have not been the model for excellence when it comes to selecting players from the college ranks.

I want to have a reason to look forward to the draft rather than expecting my team to make a few picks and throw away the rest. That's what I want from this GM hiring.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I'm warming up to the Rams taking Matt Kalil. It's not like I'm not a fan of the pick, it's just that I really want to see an offense that can put up 24-30 points every sunday.

If we stay at pick #2 and Matt Kalil beasts it up in predraft events and is labeled as the next Jake Long, I might just take him over Justin Blackmon. IMO it's like choosing between Jake Long and Dwayne Bowe. You can't really go wrong.

A perfect draft IMO would be to trade with Washington, and I know I've said this before, but we really need to try and get something done with them. Move down to #6 while picking up an extra 2nd and a few more picks.

1. Justin Blackmon WR
2. Luke Kuechly LB
2. Best Offensive Lineman/David Wilson/Best Defensive Tackle
Old 01-05-2012, 03:10 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

If we trade down it will be because someone really wants RGIII and is afraid someone else will make the trade with us. It will be worth at least what the Giants gave up for Eli Manning, which was trading from #4 to #1, a 2nd rounder that year, and a 1st and 5th the following year.

One of the things that Fisher has said he wants from his next franchise is some power over personnel decisions. I wonder if he has the kind of savvy to make big trades on draft day? He strikes me as being that kind of guy.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
If we trade down it will be because someone really wants RGIII and is afraid someone else will make the trade with us. It will be worth at least what the Giants gave up for Eli Manning, which was trading from #4 to #1, a 2nd rounder that year, and a 1st and 5th the following year.

One of the things that Fisher has said he wants from his next franchise is some power over personnel decisions. I wonder if he has the kind of savvy to make big trades on draft day? He strikes me as being that kind of guy.
How does he strike you as being that kind of guy?

I mean I know few things about him. Just that he's a really good coach and we beat his team in the superbowl.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:

How does he strike you as being that kind of guy?

I mean I know few things about him. Just that he's a really good coach and we beat his team in the superbowl. And his defenses are pretty physical.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

The reason I say that is because I get the feeling from everything I have read that his biggest issue is being able to make his own personnel decisions. He was essentially forced to play Vince Young in Tennessee against his wishes, and I believe he never wants to be in that position again. That tells me that he wants to go get his kind of player and not have anyone stand in the way of that.

I don't think I worded my statement very well. I didn't mean to say that I think he is the guy who has a great aptitude for orchestrating trades. There are few out there who are good at that, so most do not try. What I should have said was that he strikes me as being the kind of guy who would not be afraid to pull the trigger if the right trade presented itself. I think he has that competitive spirit required to go for the jugular.