Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Official Rams Off-Season Thread

The 2011 season is over (thank God) and head coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney have been fired. A new era is beginning in Rams football.

Let's discuss it here.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some news.....

http://101sports.com/category/misc-b...art-of-search/

Quote:
Rams Executive Vice President of Football Operations & Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff told reporters today that former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil and Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk will be involved in the process of finding a new head coach to replace Steve Spagnuolo.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/2...ams-next-coach

Quote:
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, "it is all but certain" that Jeff Fisher will be the Rams' next head coach.
Usually a Chargers paper, the Union-Trib has had several recent Rams scoops because they've been targeting current Bolts GM A.J. Smith, and beat reporter Kevin Acee has followed the situation closely. It sounds like Fisher and Smith aren't a package deal, though. In this scenario, Fisher would likely be tabbed as head coach first, and then have say in the Rams' general manager hiring. With the Oilers (now Titans), Fisher was originally hired by current Patriots Senior Football Advisor Floyd Reese. If Reese is still up to it -- he's 64 -- it's conceivable that he'd be on St. Louis' short list of GM targets
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like someone to come in with a bit of experience, we've done the promote from within and give a guy a chance hire. I do genuinely like Spags, and have no doubt when I say I think someone is going to get an unbelievable DC, but he seemed out of his depth far too often. If it proves to be Fisher so be it, I can live with it.

Biggest thing is I want the hire to come asap. With some of the jobs that are/might be available I think we need to get our man quickly.

Going to start watching some of the College games I have recorded over the year and watch some prospects, going to start with Kalil, as I watched some of Blackmon last year.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As we sit here today on January 3rd 2012 My big board is....

1. Justin Blackmon
2. Matt Kalil
3. Morris Claiborne
4. Trent Richardson

Kalil was #3 on my big board but with Bartell looking more and more like he'll be 100% healthy next year I don't see Corner as big of a need as I saw it a few weeks ago.

We need to get steals in the later rounds, not just guys that can "contribute"......I'm talking about getting guys later in the draft that becme probowl caliber players, not a Chris Chamberlein. Hoping they take a chance on a guy like Cliff Harris out of Oregon, all the potential in the World, just going down the wrong path right now. I don't want to go conservative this offseason and draft, we've done that before and it IMO might have played a big role in us not picking up some good talent......Santonio Holmes, Desean Jackson, Legarrate Blount.

Should be an interesting offseason and draft, I still think the Rams have the chance to trade down and get a buttload of picks. Washington is in need of a franchise Quarterback and I'm sure would love to jump ahead of Cleveland, and while they could trade with Minnesota at #3 I think the Vikings already have Matt Kalil's name written down on the draft card, don't think they trade down and risk losing him.

Right now I'm crossing my fingers for a Justin Blackmon (still do able with a trade back to #6) and Luke Kuechly first two selections. Luke and James anchoring our Linebacker core for the next 10 years gives me goosebumps. But, I doubt Kuechly will be there in the 2nd round, he's to good of a player. But who knows, doesn't really seem like he's a great athlete and with the combine and senior bowl coming up I'm hoping he somewhat falls down draft boards.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with your top three. But personally, I don't think Richardson should enter the picture unless the Rams trade at least to the bottom of the top ten if not into the teens. I'm just not a big believer in taking a RB that high. But I do think that, after last night's performance, it's hard not to picture Blackmon as a great fit in horns.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
I agree with your top three. But personally, I don't think Richardson should enter the picture unless the Rams trade at least to the bottom of the top ten if not into the teens. I'm just not a big believer in taking a RB that high. But I do think that, after last night's performance, it's hard not to picture Blackmon as a great fit in horns.
I love Richardson and think if the top two Quarterbacks are gone he goes to Cleveland at #4. I just see Ricky Williams when I watch him and we all remember what kind of Back he could of been if it wasn't for his mental issues.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I love Richardson and think if the top two Quarterbacks are gone he goes to Cleveland at #4.
Certainly a possibility; I'm simply saying I personally don't value the position enough to advocate the Rams taking Richardson @ 2. It would have to take a trade down for me to be more comfortable with that selection. It would seem to me the NFL is a passing league at this point, and the value of the RB position simply isn't what it used to be even half a decade ago.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think our #2 pick becomes extremely valuable if the Colts take Luck. This would leave RGIII on the board with a handful of teams desperate for a franchise QB.

Miami and Washington would definitely be players, although I'm not sure Miami would be willing to pony up the necessary picks required to move up from #9.

Cleveland is also an interesting possibility. Mike Holmgren really likes the mobile, athletic QB. Cleveland also holds Atlanta's #1 pick from the Julio Jones deal. If the Rams could trade down for the #4 pick, a late 1st this year, and Cleveland's #1 in 2013 I think that would be a no-brainer. It would allow them to still take either Blackmon, Claiborne or Kalil, as well as two more high-caliber players in the late 1st/early second range.

Assuming they stay put, here is my initial mock.

1) Justin Blackmon, WR, OSU
2) Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St
3) LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
4) TY Hilton, WR, FIU
5) Terrell Manning, OLB, NC St.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Interesting Mike Karney interview......

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLco...how-Audio.aspx

Seg. 5

rips on the former coaches pretty good.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Jay Glazer would be "shocked" if Jeff Fisher isn't the Rams' new head coach in the next 48 hours...

https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/sta...63075164880896
Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Jay Glazer would be "shocked" if Jeff Fisher isn't the Rams' new head coach in the next 48 hours...

https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/sta...63075164880896

Awesome news. I'm interested to see who Fisher brings in as his assistants. I've heard Greg Williams' name thrown out there a lot.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The latest rumblings are that the Dolphins are offering Fisher the title of executive vice president and a salary of over $8 million a year, and that he is now leaning in that direction.

C'mon! Pony up Stan!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:56 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

http://arizonasports.com/40/1486099/...y-in-interview

Quote:
Ray Horton did a great job in his first year as the Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator.
Credited with molding an underachieving unit into one that practically carried the Cardinals to an 8-8 season, Horton is one of the reasons Valley fans are excited about the future of their NFL team.

Word leaked last week that Horton was interviewing with the St. Louis Rams about their vacancy at head coach, though, and apparently the 41-year-old impressed.

So much, in fact, that D'Marco Farr, former Rams player and current radio host for 101Sports in St. Louis, says the architect behind Arizona's stingy defense might be the favorite to get the job should the team miss on top choice Jeff Fisher.

"It could be Ray Horton, that's a guy they think highly of," Farr told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "He came up here and blew them away in their meeting, absolutely blew them away.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

What's your guys' opinion on if Fisher doesn't accept the job and we hire Ray Horton or someone else and we get a 3-4 defense in here? I would be all for it but what do you think?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's ridiculously hard to judge coaches from afar, he clearly done a decent job with the Cards defense but as we know that doesn't really mean much. If he does come in, good luck to the guy and I'll be wishing him well.

However, I'd need some major convincing that they could make the transition into a 34. If he does come over with ideas of changing the system, I can only seeing it being done gradually with us running a hybrid that is more 43 heavy, unless they go defense heavy in the draft/FA.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
It's ridiculously hard to judge coaches from afar, he clearly done a decent job with the Cards defense but as we know that doesn't really mean much. If he does come in, good luck to the guy and I'll be wishing him well.

However, I'd need some major convincing that they could make the transition into a 34. If he does come over with ideas of changing the system, I can only seeing it being done gradually with us running a hybrid that is more 43 heavy, unless they go defense heavy in the draft/FA.
It wouldn't really take that long IMO.

Sign: Calais Campbell DE, Paul Soliai DT, Ahmad Brooks OLB

Draft:

2nd round: Dont'a Hightower

Done.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

The debate over whether to go with a 4-3 or 3-4 defense is one that I always enjoy. There are pros and cons to both. Personally, I have always thought that the best one to run was whichever was opposite of the trend, so that there isn't as much demand for the talent. Right now the trend is towards the 3-4, so the smaller, fast OLB is easier to come by. If the trend continues, we may very well see the 235 lb linebacker regularly making the switch to safety at the next level.

One thing that I have always maintained about the 3-4 is that it is cheaper. Maybe not actually cheaper, but that you could get more talent for the money, I guess would be more fair to say. The DE's are generally undersized DT's with better mobility that are strong against the run and can contain the edge, but are not asked to rush the passer much and, therefore, come at a lesser price. The NT is usually a highly paid player, but you don't have the two spendy DT's. And linebackers are less expensive than lineman, so overall I think you could have more talent and depth in your front 7 in a 3-4 with the same cost.

Transitioning from one to the other, however, is a bit of a task. While I do understand your thinking, HOLTBRUCE, I really don't think it is as simple as picking up two free agent linemen and drafting a linebacker. You are probably looking at a turnover of 7 or 8 players in your front 7. We probably have 3 or 4 players in our front 7 that figure to be in the plans of whoever our next coach will be. Then you have to determine who will be able to make the transition. I think that Laurinitis can play in either scheme, as can Quinn. Long would likely be a question mark. Hall is 35 and won't be around long-term anyway. We haven't got an interior lineman worth keeping, and our linebackers aren't much better.

However, having said that, when you have nothing you have nothing to lose, so if they were going to make the switch, now would be as good a time as any.

Finding the big nose tackle has also been difficult for some teams, but more and more big guys are coming out every year, so that challenge is not what it once was. There are a couple in this year's draft that could be very good at the next level.

I must say, the thought of James Laurinitis and Vontaze Burfict in the middle sounds pretty darn intimidating.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Jeff Fisher has agreed to become the St. Louis Rams' next head coach.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...a4bcf6878.html
Old 01-13-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I really like this move. I believe it will bring much needed stability to this franchise and a winning attitude. While Fisher's teams did not always make the playoffs, they were almost always ready to play and competitive.

I am also very excited to see who he brings in for his coaching staff. Hopefully a lot of experience that will produce a hungry team.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Happy that it's sorted. Be nice to see someone with some experience come in and see what he does to the roster.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully this becomes a trend of good things for the Rams this off-season. It will be interesting to see who comes in as the OC to work with Bradford and the offense. It will be his 3rd OC in 3 years. It sounds like Gregg Williams will be the DC which sounds good. I like what he has done in New Orleans and he also has HC experience.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Rumors are going around that Gregg Williams will be the new Defensive coordinator and Brian Schottenheimer will be the new Offensive Coordinator.

Not to excited about Schott, I think just about every Jets fan celebrated when he got fired. But who knows, I mean the Mcdaniels hire was supposed to be great.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:29 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Not to excited about Schott, I think just about every Jets fan celebrated when he got fired. But who knows, I mean the Mcdaniels hire was supposed to be great.
When you think about it, how many people are actually happy with their coordinators? I'm not sure there are more than 10 coordinators in the league that their own fans think can do the job.

I'm willing to give Schottenheimer a pass because he was the OC for a Mark Sanchez led offense. ****, can it really be worse than what we saw this year?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...k-in-st-louis/

Quote:
Per a league source, Smith will face the time-honored take-a-pay-cut-or-take-a-hike ultimatum in the offseason, given that (per NFLPA records) Smith is due to earn a base salary of $10 million in 2012. With only $1 million of it guaranteed, the Rams won’t hesitate to dump Smith, if he won’t dump much of his scheduled pay.

Also, Chris Mortenson reported last night, don't rule out the possibility of Brian Schottenheimer being the Offensive Coordinator of the Rams AND Hue Jackson being the Quarterback Coach.

That would be awesome.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I really like the direction we are heading in for a change. I have to say that it has been since the greatest show days since I was this excited about my team. More than that, I finally feel like my team has leaders that I can actually trust to be making wise decisions, and it appears that the new ownership is serious about winning. This is gonna be a fun offseason!
Closed Thread