Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2012 Colts' Draft Thread - Colts are on the Clock

Might as well start now. How I see the needs playing out by season's end:

SS - Perhaps Lefeged steps up in camp and shows starter potential, but I'm not counting on it. That leaves Melvin Bullitt as the starter, and that leaves a lot to be desired. Back when Bethea and Sanders formed one of the best safety tandems in the NFL, the Colts defense was among the best units in the NFL. Look for the team to try to recapture that magic by investing in that position early in next year's draft.

WR - This may be a headscratcher to some, but a breakdown of the position reveals just how big of an issue it is. Reggie Wayne is 33, looked mediocre last year, and is in a contract year. Austin Collie had two concussions last season, so health is a major concern, Anthony Gonzalez has missed the majority of the last two seasons due to injury, and Pierre Garcon is frustratingly inconsistent. Thus the position could be anywhere from the team's biggest need to a non-issue in next year's draft. Thus, it comes in right after SS on the need list.

LB - Even if you think Angerer and Conner are the best OLBs the Colts have had in some time, depth is still needed, and Brackett doesn't have many seasons left in the tank.

Interior OL - Another position that could be anywhere from non-issue to glaring need, Saturday must be replaced after this season and two players need to step up and claim the OG spots. This will probably be a need position, though, unless you believe in McClendon, Kirkpatrick, and Thomas.

TE - Dallas Clark is 32, and while I like Tamme and Eldridge, neither is a starting NFL TE. This is probably a need that won't be addressed until 2013 (unless an amazing opportunity presents itself), but it is a need for the near future.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good idea Dam.

The most glaring needs I can see right now are OL and SS, but like you've mentioned, age is an issue on this team at some positions.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind seeing another corner. A lot of it will be assessed with how Lacey and Tryon pan out though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing another corner. A lot of it will be assessed with how Lacey and Tryon pan out though.
Agreed. Both Lacey and Tryon are more suited for nickelback role.

We still don't know what we have in Thomas and Rucker.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Agreed. Both Lacey and Tryon are more suited for nickelback role.

We still don't know what we have in Thomas and Rucker.
I would like to see more of Tryon before I agree he is better in nickel situations. He made a fair number of plays on the ball last year in coverage. I like him. Lacey is better as a dime back preferably covering someone slow and weak.

I don't count on Thomas holding up in the NFL. Rucker might be a player though.

SS is definitely the position of greatest need next year but I also agree WR is up there. It will be hard to ever trust Gonzo's health. Same for Collie. Garcon needs to prove this year that he can hang onto the ball. They can get by if they don't get a #1 or #2 WR next draft but after that it becomes critical.

I would like to see McClendon and somebody else earn and deserve the guard spots so we don't have to invest too much at the position. This has got to be Saturday's last season. Right? Need somebody there, too.

Depending on Hughes DE might also be a position of need. Freeney is getting old.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've tried not to watch any Colts games this year(painful to watch), but I'm making an educated stab that this is the kind of draft they need.

1) Luck
2) Konz or Brewster
3) Best available corner taller than 5'8". Maybe Cliff Harris falls? I've seen Stephon Gilmore on a few sites at this pick as well.
4) WR Joe Adams, Jordan White? PR vs Solid Hands
5-7) BPA Safety & Dline emphasis

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brewster had a HORRIBLE day today.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think Ben Jones has passed him yet?

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 AM    (permalink
redviper311
Rookie

redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have put together two mock draft 2012 versions Rd 1-4, Pre-college FB BCS Bowls.

1.0v (this centers around the 1st overall pick)

Rd1: Andrew Luck (h6'4" w235), QB, Standford
Rd2: Kevin Zeitler (h6'4" w315), OG, Wisconsin
Rd3: DeQuan Menzie (h6'0" w198), CB, Alabama
Rd4: Greg Childs (h6'3" w217), WR, Arkansas

1.5v

Rd1: Morris Claiborne (h6'0" w185), CB, LSU
Rd2: Kevin Zeitler (h6'4" w315), OG, Wisconsin
Rd3: B.J. Coleman (h6'5" w220), QB, TN-Chattanooga (or) Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
Rd4: Greg Childs (h6'3" w217), WR, Arkansas

Now granted this is pre-combine and pro days, but I thought it would be fun to throw one around. Greg Childs falling the bottom 3rd to early 4th rounds could be wishful thinking, but Wayne may not be a Colt next season and we don't have his replacement on the roster IMO. On 1.5v of the mock I even toyed with the idea of Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State as the Rd1 pick and a CB with the Rd4 pick.

Any thoughts?

Sig by Stephenson86

Last edited by redviper311 : 12-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.
redviper311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I like it. I do hope to find a stud DT in this draft. Could Worthy or Poe fall to 2nd?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

It's time to revive this thread.

Please post Team needs.

Last edited by MaxV : 01-02-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

With Polian gone, I believe the Colts will go with more of a BPA strategy instead of the rigid "system guys" that they've been known to take. At least after watching how well it has worked for the Lions, I don't know how the Colts wouldn't try and copy that.

As for needs...well I'm going to try this backwards. Channeling Ed Harris from Apollo 13, let's see what we have that actually works.

Good Pieces that aren't Free Agents

Defense
Antoine Bethea-I love him.
Freeney
Angerer

Offense
Castonzo
Ijalana-Needs to be healthy but should be someplace on the line.
Peyton Manning

*crickets*

That's ******* it. Seriously.

Needs:
-2 starting corners that are worth a damn
-dominant defensive tackle, maybe another for depth and rotation
-younger defensive end to start
-starting safety across from Bethea
-replacement center for Saturday
-another guard and guard/tackle depending on Ijalana's final position
-elite running back, they have a bunch of nothing right now but its mostly the oline's fault.
-heir/insurance policy for Peyton Manning

Free Agents- Previous Cap Hit
Reggie Wayne-8.03M
Robert Mathis-5.03M
Jeff Saturday-4.883M
Pierre Garcon-578k
Ryan Diem-6.257M
Anthony Gonzalez-1.76M
Jacob Tamme-668k
Wheeler
Pollak
Richard
about 9 more.

Source:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/

That's like $30 Million dollars in players potentially out the door from a 2-14 team. The only person worth paying is Manning. Keep Manning, Wayne will probably give a bit of a discount, and talk Saturday into coming back. Those, Mathis, and Tamme are the only key players really worth their paychecks. The rest deserve to be replaced after this year.

For reference:

Cam Newton Contract

Base Salary S. Bonus Cap Hit
2011 375,000 3,629,500 4,004,500
2012 1,376,159 3,629,500 5,005,659
2013 2,377,318 3,629,500 6,006,818
2014 3,378,477 3,629,500 7,007,977

Luck will be cheaper than keeping Ryan Diem...just try and talk Peyton into not being pissed and talk to Luck about the merits of sitting for 2 years.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 01-02-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Add Jerraud Power and Drake Nevis to the list of good defensive players.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Early needs list (Assuming Peyton gets back strong):

1. DT - A position that has been a need for more then a decade ('95 with Tony Siragusa, was the last time I remember being happy with Colts' DTs). We might have an answer at UT with Nevis (even that isn't a certainty) but a NT is needed BADLY.
2. SS - Bullitt just isn't a long-term answer, even when he is healthy. This team REALLY misses a guy who takes away the middle of the field like Bob used to.
3. CB - Powers might be ok, but he is more of a #2. A play-maker is really lacking here.
4. WR - Both Wayne and Garcon are FAs and Colts are certain to lose one of them, possibly both. If it is both, then this position should certainly be higher.
5. QB - Even if Peyton comes back healthy, this is a time to look for a long-term solution. Paging Mr. Luck.
6. OG - Assuming they'll insert Pollak at OC, Ijalana claims the RT spot and Reitz takes a step forward as a player, Colts still need another road-grader inside.
7. RB - Brown actually looked useful in the last few games. Who knew? Still he and Carter are more of platoon backs and Addai looks finished. I would like to see another talented back brought in here.
8. OLB - Angerer looks like a long-term answer at ILB, but I'm not really sold on Conner or Wheeler.

I can probably make it to 10 easily. This team has lots of holes to fill.

Last edited by MaxV : 01-02-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Very very early positional value chart based on Colts picking top of each round

1) QB-Luck is worth 5 or 6 1st round picks, so he's the obvious value
2) CB, RB, LB, DT, G-Minnifield, David Wilson/Polk/Miller, Brown, Worthy/Cox, loads of guards
3) WR, C, RB, CB, G- Fuller, Ben Jones, Bernard Pierce/LaMichael James, Boykin, Zeitler/Potter/etc

Middle rounds are too hard to project, but a top 3 of Luck, Minnifield, Ben Jones would be ideal for me. Worthy and Cox means that one of the 2 should be there at the top of the 2nd for us too. I do want to build the team from the inside out, but Minnifield is a perfect fit and has great pedigree. We might have to trade up from top of 3rd to late 2nd to secure Ben Jones. I don't want to draft to our current team, I want to draft based on the future. Luck and Jones can grow together like a Manning/Saturday. During the middle-late rounds we can fill the positions of some of the other guys who won't be back. I just want the BPA at each of the first few rounds. Hopefully Manning will be around to turn our late round talent into something respectable and allow Luck to not get killed for the year or two that it will take to turn this thing around.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about trading back with the browns? They get Andrew Luck and we get their 2 firsts and their 2 seconds. Then with the 4th pick get Robert Griffin, with Clevelands next pick grab Mark Barron, with our 1st second rounder grab one of the nose tackles available, then with clevelands next pick grab a cornerback. I kind of like the look of that if it is possible.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
What do you guys think about trading back with the browns? They get Andrew Luck and we get their 2 firsts and their 2 seconds. Then with the 4th pick get Robert Griffin, with Clevelands next pick grab Mark Barron, with our 1st second rounder grab one of the nose tackles available, then with clevelands next pick grab a cornerback. I kind of like the look of that if it is possible.
Forget it. The Colts are going to draft Andrew Luck. And they should.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Very very early positional value chart based on Colts picking top of each round

1) QB-Luck is worth 5 or 6 1st round picks, so he's the obvious value
2) CB, RB, LB, DT, G-Minnifield, David Wilson/Polk/Miller, Brown, Worthy/Cox, loads of guards
3) WR, C, RB, CB, G- Fuller, Ben Jones, Bernard Pierce/LaMichael James, Boykin, Zeitler/Potter/etc

Middle rounds are too hard to project, but a top 3 of Luck, Minnifield, Ben Jones would be ideal for me. Worthy and Cox means that one of the 2 should be there at the top of the 2nd for us too. I do want to build the team from the inside out, but Minnifield is a perfect fit and has great pedigree. We might have to trade up from top of 3rd to late 2nd to secure Ben Jones. I don't want to draft to our current team, I want to draft based on the future. Luck and Jones can grow together like a Manning/Saturday. During the middle-late rounds we can fill the positions of some of the other guys who won't be back. I just want the BPA at each of the first few rounds. Hopefully Manning will be around to turn our late round talent into something respectable and allow Luck to not get killed for the year or two that it will take to turn this thing around.
A draft of Luck, Minnifield, and Jones would not be bad at all but I would prefer to get a good DT with the 2nd pick if possible.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

If we draft a QB, then it needs to be the best one. I love Griffin, but no to a QB pick in a trade down. Any trade should mean that we'd be in a position for Kalil or Claiborne and maybe a Foles or somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round as a backup/successor to Manning.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
If we draft a QB, then it needs to be the best one. I love Griffin, but no to a QB pick in a trade down. Any trade should mean that we'd be in a position for Kalil or Claiborne and maybe a Foles or somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round as a backup/successor to Manning.
I thought you were a Lions fan?

edit: I am not saying GTFO. I am curious though. I think I remember reading that you're from Indy. Are you more interested in the team again now that Polian is gone? I can understand that.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Robert Griffin is getting no love. If he is a legitimate 6'2 i think he is every bit as good as Andrew Luck. It is not like Baylor was a powerhouse before RG3 got there.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Robert Griffin is getting no love. If he is a legitimate 6'2 i think he is every bit as good as Andrew Luck. It is not like Baylor was a powerhouse before RG3 got there.
Big if. I think he is the 5'11 type of 6'2. I like the guy, great arm and accuracy and his scramble-and-run ability is exciting, but I am afraid he is going to get killed in the NFL.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Big if. I think he is the 5'11 type of 6'2. I like the guy, great arm and accuracy and his scramble-and-run ability is exciting, but I am afraid he is going to get killed in the NFL.
Yea that is a concern of mine too, if he has to sacrifice some speed to add on some weight I am for it. Are there any rumors on hat his 40 time could be?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

No idea on his 40 time. I'm not sure adding weight would help. A slight frame is a slight frame even if you bulk up. Look at Bob Sanders. Little guy with big guy muscles. Hurt all the time. Even Dr. Andrews talked about him and how it's no big mystery why he is hurt so much.

I just think passing on Luck for RG3 would be something we would all look back on in 5 years and wonder what the hell the new GM was thinking.

And I am pretty sure Irsay is set on Luck. So I don't think it matters.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I thought you were a Lions fan?

edit: I am not saying GTFO. I am curious though. I think I remember reading that you're from Indy. Are you more interested in the team again now that Polian is gone? I can understand that.
Grew up in Indiana watching Jack Trudeau and Jim Harbaugh throwing to Sean Dawkins, and then the blessed Manning years. I moved to Michigan a few years ago, the Colts won a Super Bowl and I felt that Colts became more of "my parent's team" and the Lions were getting more interesting. I try and see a game every year with my parents but this year was just awful. I feel like the Colts are the one other team on here that I am a true expert.

I am greatly interested in seeing how this team evolves from the Polian/Dungy influence. High priced offense meaning we needed a defense like the Cover 2. Speed on the edge, undersized cheap expendable defenders designed to flow to the ball and yield turnovers but not stop the chains. Easily replaceable defense worked well with the salary cap and Manning putting opposing teams into constant passing situations. This is probably going to be the most interesting and important case study for how to rebuild a team.

And I figured my Lions board has 32,500+ posts and this had 4,277 so I should start spreading the wealth around a little bit.

Prowler's Newb Guide