Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe he was scared that Irsay's firing of Polian was a signal that he was going to be more active in the running of the franchise? Just a couple days ago Jerry Jones said that hiring a GM for the Cowboys would "muddle the process". Do they think that he's going to turn into a Jerry Jones?

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't actually think there are that many GM positions that would be better than Indy. Maybe the Rams (2nd Overall Pick, new Coach, young, talented roster and, unlike Indy, maybe not the same mega expectations from the fan base). While the expectations are big for the Colts so is the potential and a GM has the chance to shape the future of one of the most dominant franchises in of the last decade. He'll have the 1st Overall Pick, gaining him probably the best QB prospect since either Manning or Elway, the best Quarterback of all time on the roster, a young roster with more talent than they showed last season, the chance to hire a new Head Coach and most importantly an owner who doesn't take major football decisions. Jim Irsay will have noticed that he hired a GM to make the decisions, he hired a good GM and that GM got him one of the most dominant football teams in the NFL and Lombardi trophy. He knows enough about football to know that he shouldn't be making the football decisions for the Colts.

The principle reason I think Dorsey has said no is that I think he wants to stay in Green Bay. Dorsey has spent his entire career in Green Bay. He was a linebacker there before becoming a member of the front office staff. I think he wants to stay there and maybe take over from Ted Thompson once he steps back.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
The principle reason I think Dorsey has said no is that I think he wants to stay in Green Bay. Dorsey has spent his entire career in Green Bay. He was a linebacker there before becoming a member of the front office staff. I think he wants to stay there and maybe take over from Ted Thompson once he steps back.
I've heard this too. If he thinks he's next in line for McKenzie's job then I can understand wanting to grow a bit more in your favorite environment and have a chance to run the team you've been a part of for years.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
redviper311
Rookie

redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I've heard this too. If he thinks he's next in line for McKenzie's job then I can understand wanting to grow a bit more in your favorite environment and have a chance to run the team you've been a part of for years.
Makes sense

Sig by Stephenson86
redviper311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McKenzie is going to the Raiders. Bleh. I guess Irsay wasn't interested.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Right now Irsay is linked to the following guys for the GM job:

Eric DeCosta - Ravens
Ryan Grigson - Eagles
David Caldwell - Falcons
Les Snead - Falcons
Jason Licht - Patriots

I'm glad to see Irsay really branching out to find the right guy for the job. Hopefully it happens soon so they can do the same for the new HC and staff before all the good ones are gone.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Which of those are your favorites?
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I like DeCosta though I have questions about his ability to select non-RB skill position players. Since 2004 the Ravens have brought in a ton of good players on both lines, some good RBs, a great safety that they didn't re-sign, and a few promising-but-unspectacular LBs. So how much of that is DeCosta vs. Ozzie Newsome? Hard to know. I have cooled on him a little but still like him the most because I know the most about him and I would love to have big, dominant players on our OL and DL.

Grigson is intriguing because of the way the Eagles seem to swindle other teams out of draft picks. It's hard to know how much, if any at all, Grigson has played a role in that. They're not afraid to bring in free agents so that is a potential positive as long as we get the right coaches to integrate them. He was a TE and OLman at Purdue which is encouraging when you think about the types of players he might go after. Like DeCosta he is very young. 41 in February apparently.

Licht is a former DL and OLman and was a Pats scout in the late 90s and early 00s, so he presumably had a hand in bringing in all that defensive talent they had back then. He was promoted in NE, then moved to Philly, promoted again, and then fired. So he and Grigson were co-workers at one point. He went to AZ and then back to the Pats which is interesting. I like that he rose through the ranks as a scout, then a lower, mid, and high-level personnel exec. Again, young guy. 40.

Snead has been the Director of Player Personnel for 3 years which coincides with the Falcons' recent success. He's a former Jags scout. TE in college for Auburn so he won't have a Big'nSlow 10 bias like Polian did. Young again, 37. I'm seeing a trend here. Young guys with new ideas.

David Caldwell went to John Carroll University, which is where both Tom Telesco and Chris Polian went to school. He was also on staff with the Colts for 10 years. I don't want an old guard retread, even if he is a younger guy and has been with the Falcons for 4 years. Maybe he was one of the guys Polian ran off, I dunno.

All this knowledge is off the top of my head and definitely didn't come from Wikipedia.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a general trend in that they all seem to young guys, late 30s, early 40s, who made fast but natural progressions up the personnel ladders of successful, well run franchises.

I do worry about David Caldwell. He knows the franchise as he has spent most of his career in Indianapolis and obviously he'll know a lot of the people already there and will integrate into the team better. The problem is the he not only spent most of his career in Indianapolis, he spent most of it under Bill Polian (Caldwell worked for Polian at Carolina before moving with him to the Colts). If the team want a culture change for the Franchise then I don't know if hiring a Polian disciple is the way to do it.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I completely agree with your concerns Seamus. Snead seems like the more seasoned of the two anyway.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-interviews/

Quote:
Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross. The Philadelphia Inquirer writes that Eagles director of player personnel Ryan Grigson will meet for the vacant position. And finally, ESPNDallas.com reports that the Colts have requested to speak with Cowboys assistant director of player personnel Tom Ciskowski.
Irsay's getting a long list.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Clayton just reported Decosta will stay with Ravens to eventually take over Newsome's job. I'm not a Colts fan, but was he the top choice for you guys because it seems Irsay has a pretty long list.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash28Dash34 View Post
John Clayton just reported Decosta will stay with Ravens to eventually take over Newsome's job. I'm not a Colts fan, but was he the top choice for you guys because it seems Irsay has a pretty long list.
He does have a long list. There are a number of GM openings this year (Indy, the Rams, Oakland, Chicago) and a lot of the top guys are in waiting for positions with their current franchise when their current superiors retire (like in the case with DeCosta and Dorsey) so the list does need to be pretty long. Plus a lot of it is guess work so it will come down more to the interview than anything so having a large short list makes sense.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

JMV, a local radio personality here in Indy who got a lot of predictions right regarding Manning's injury, thinks Irsay will just promote Tom Telesco and keep Caldwell. If this happens I will be pretty upset.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
JMV, a local radio personality here in Indy who got a lot of predictions right regarding Manning's injury, thinks Irsay will just promote Tom Telesco and keep Caldwell. If this happens I will be pretty upset.
I think Irsay wants to keep Telesco in his current position and is putting him on the shortlist to prevent other teams snatching him away. Telesco is apparently a candidate for the Bears GM position.

By giving him a fair shout at the Indy job it keeps him out of the running for other jobs until the Indy job is decided and by that time most of them just might be filled.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM    (permalink
redviper311
Rookie

redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redviper311 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

None GM related topic, but I found this interesting to say the least. It has been reported that Brock Osweiler (6'8"/240lbs), QB, Arizona State University has declared to enter the NFL Draft. As of now his is not a 1st rounder (wait for Combine and Pro Days), but set all kinds of records for ASU program. Was 326/516 on the year. Threw for 4000+ yards for 26TD/13INT. For 63.2%.

Should Manning be healthy enough to return next season for us I like the idea of trading out of the 1st overall pick and drafting a good QB that shows great potential later. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Aaron Rogers slide all the way to 24th pick b/c of his mechanics and release. And after three years of grooming look at him now. Not saying Osweiler is either of those guys, but the more I watch Luck on film I am not so sure. Need to watch more on him and upcoming events. But wanted to throw around ideas and think outside the box a little.

Sig by Stephenson86
redviper311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
VikesWookie
Rookie

VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if the Colts were to try to trade Manning, is there a team that could absorb his contract? Most teams don't have 28M in cap space... even if they made some neccessary personnel moves...
I'd keep Manning and trade down a couple of spots. Cleveland or Miami would have the juice to make it happen. Any thoughts?
VikesWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesWookie View Post
Even if the Colts were to try to trade Manning, is there a team that could absorb his contract? Most teams don't have 28M in cap space... even if they made some neccessary personnel moves...
I'd keep Manning and trade down a couple of spots. Cleveland or Miami would have the juice to make it happen. Any thoughts?
I'm 99% sure that if Manning is healthy enough to play like he has in the past, he will get paid and they will still draft Luck.

Manning can't be traded. The $28M bonus is due before the new league year starts, which means he can't be traded before the team pays him $28M. They're not going to pay him all that and then just trade him. Either they keep him or they release him.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be cool with trading the pick down a couple spots and snag RG3. Then get several more picks for fixing our dismal roster.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Luck both fits our current personnel and is the superior prospect. We need to be disciplined and take Luck. Trade down isn't on the table.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

In reality Luck's scouting report coming out of college reads a lot like Manning's did when he came out of college, with Luck being more athletic. His pre-snap routine is Manningesque and his style of play is similar. Any prospect who will fit Manning will fit Luck.

The only difference is whether the team are in win now mode. If they are then the mid to late round guys will be low celling guys who can contribute now while if they are in rebuilding mode and are trying to create a roster around Luck who can win the Superbowl in three or four years time then they will draft raw prospects, who won't significantly contribute straight away but have a high celling.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Where are my Colts brothers! We have our new GM! Ryan Grigson.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, I know nothing about him.

I hope he has a good plan.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I wonder if Jeff Fisher is waiting so long on announcing his team because of this. I could see him coming here to coach, with more power and approximately equal standing with Grigson.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was an O-lineman, went to Purdue, and was in the nfl a few years in the mid-90s. Had a career ending injury in the CFL. Here's his resume as an executive, courtesy of his wiki article.
Quote:
Saskatchewan Roughriders (1998)
(Pro scout)
McPherson College (1998)
(Assistant coach)
Buffalo Destroyers (1999)
(Player personnel coordinator/assistant coach)
St. Louis Rams (1999–2003)
(National scout/area scout)
Philadelphia Eagles (2004–2005)
(Western regional scout)
Philadelphia Eagles (2006–2009)
(Director of college scouting)
Philadelphia Eagles (2010–2011)
(Director of player personnel)
He's turning 40 soon, so fairly young for a GM. Was promoted quickly within the Eagles, who I consider a fairly good drafting team (and great at trading QBs above their value, which may benefit us at some point).
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote