Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we go one and out to the Broncos, babies will be kicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'd say this is false.

The Broncos won because the Steelers put 11 in the box and Tebow hit a few deep balls. When you have 6 passes for 30+ and only 11 completions, there is something wrong with your coverage. The Steelers tried to pretend Tebow wasn't a QB and got burned.

I'm not saying he couldn't have done it against cover 1, cover 2, cover 3, cover 4... etc, but he was basically doing it against a "0 blitz" minus the blitz. No one would ever dream of doing that against any other QB.

The Patriots aren't that arrogant.
Right, but this is a case of the steelers playing an ineffective gameplan. Not as much the Broncos being superior.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel good about this game. That was an emotionally charged victory for Denver. It's really hard to totally flip the script on a short week and prepare for facing another team on the road, let alone one who just hired your head former coach. The McDaniel's factor might end up being overplayed, but there's something to be said for it I think. It will be an advantage having someone with intimate knowledge of their personnel on our staff, even if the scheme is different.

I'm still nervous though. The past two trips to the playoffs, we've totally **** the bed and let teams exploit our flaws...and this is basically the same team sans some minor additions(our passing defense is far worse than it ever has been though).

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Almigthy Broncos looked . . . inspired is the only word for it. They earned every bit of that win. I'm happy for Tebow.

I think the Broncos D will have a tougher time with our offense b/c the pressure needs to come up the middle and I just don't see that from them.

BB needs to prove he is the great coach we knew in the past. If this team comes out flat and spots the Tebows 3 scores there will be some (understandably) upset Patriots fans. I am not foolish enough to say BB would need to go if that happens, but I know we'll start hearing that nonsense if he can't get this team motivated to play well out of the gates.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just not sure this team is hungry enough to win a Super Bowl. I don't think we have any problem players on the roster or anything...but the past few years we just haven't looked comfortable in the playoff environment. Usually, I'm in the group that thinks that kind of stuff is just poetic bunk and talk radio fodder...but that's really the only way to explain the way we've come out completely flat the past two go arounds. I'm not sure if that's by design or just the type of guys that we have on the roster, but there's little doubt that this team has let itself be the less focused and determined team the past few years. We need to come out of the gate in kill mode and not let up for a second.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dear Boston sportswriters, please jump on The Tebow Bandwagon... please???
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pats will win this game.... im very confident on it. hope all of you guys are doing well...... sorry i havent posted on here in ages, but thats what working 60 hours a week does to ya haha. I honestly think the pats got their best matchup of the 3 teams we could have faced.... I think we win 31-20 at the razor. Say hello to baltimore for the afc ship

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Houston puled off a win against Baltimore. That defense the other night was ridiculously good.

Watt :(

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think we saw the other side of why it's tricky to play against option football yesterday; you commit too much to stopping it and you can be exposed deep. Demaryius Thomas looked like he was ripping up ACC secondaries in single coverage again. Pittsburgh basically dared Denver to beat them deep with the way they played their safeties, with Polamalu doing what he usually does and lining up basically wherever he felt like and Ryan Mundy playing ineffectively. They weren't able to make Tebow move his feet or speed up his reads either. He just needed to sit back there, wait for Optimus Prime to run by Ike Taylor, and windup the Tebow Trebuchet. When he did have to move around and make quick decisions, he was far less accurate. Pittsburgh is lucky he missed some of those throws even, because they were there if he could have hit him.

The focus and gameplan should still be to get an early lead and make Denver throw. We just can't make the mistake of leaving the deep ball open, both with the way we play coverage and with the amount of pressure we're able to apply with our defensive front. Tackling and gap discipline will be important as well, as they're capable of possessing the ball for long stretches with the running and short passing game if they get a lead. It would certainly be nice to get handed a few turnovers like last time as well, but we can't count on that.

But as long we can force their passing game to marching down the field with little cuts as opposed to big stabs, we should be able to outscore them. The concern from the last time we played them is still there though; they can both rush the passer and win the time of possession battle. We can't afford to come out and start slow on offense like we have been against any of these teams left in the tournament, especially Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Houston puled off a win against Baltimore. That defense the other night was ridiculously good.
Sneaky good game. I don't trust TJ Yates at all, but I certainly don't trust Joe Flacco either. If the Texans can play as well as they did last week and fly to the ball, they've got a puncher's chance.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-09-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been riding the Houston Train for a while now. They get zero air time so they're very under the radar b/c of the QB situation. They have one of the more dominant rushing attacks the NFL has seen since Alexander had a beastly Oline in his record setting season. On top of that, Wade has them playing incredible D despite losing studs.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Bengals team was the Reds (baseball analogy) of two years ago. It was an average team that couldn't beat elite teams but didn't lose to bad teams.

Houston is still Houston and Baltimore is still Baltimore. Baltimore may crush them or may just get bored and lose the game because they lost focus. I personally would rather have to face Houston than Baltimore though.

I mean, everyone was scared ****less as a Patriots fan over the playoffs and then they get Denver and Houston on our way to a Super Bowl appearance... lol. I really can't think of an easy road you could possibly have.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think having Spikes and Chung back will help the run defense out so hopefully they won't be able to march up and down the field like they did on their first two drives.
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I did some work on Denver's numbers against tight ends on the year. Raw numbers can only tell you so much, but I've gotten to see Denver 4 times on the year not including last night and they sort of just confirm what I've seen.

Oakland: 2 receptions for 10 yards, 5 targets
Cincinnati: 2 receptions for 8 yards,5 targets
Tennessee: 4 receptions for 74 yards, 4 targets
Green Bay: 3 receptions for 28 yards, 6 targets
San Diego: 5 receptions for 61 yards, 7 targets
Miami: 3 receptions for 51 yards, 3 targets
Detroit: 6 receptions for 46 yards, 8 targets
Oakland: 1 reception for 11 yards, 1 target
Kansas City: 3 receptions 18 yards, 5 targets
New York Jets: 5 receptions for 40 yards, 8 targets
San Diego: 6 receptions for 73 yards, 12 targets
Minnesota: 5 receptions for 55 yards, 8 targets
Chicago: 0 receptions for 0 yards, 1 target
New England: 13 catches for 182 yards, 16 targets, 1 lol
Buffalo: 2 receptions for 27 yards, 4 targets
Kansas City: 1 reception for 12 yards, 1 target

Pittsburgh: 5 receptions for 60 yards, 9 targets

So they've actually done a real good job on all the guys they've faced on the year with the exception of of us, limiting the damage to high percentage stuff short and mitigating damage after the catch. Normally, numbers like that would be troubling...except we did pretty well against them with Gronk working the seams (in his first brush with double coverage) and Hernandez having his first great game of the season working underneath and doing damage after the catch. It's still worth noting that they've done very well against tight ends on the year, with the Packers and the second Chargers game(Gates was out in the first one) standing out in particular, as they're the two teams on that list with weapons comparable(although not as good) as what we have at that position. The Jets game stands out as well, as we've seen first hand around these parts how dangerous Keller can be and how much Sanchez loves throwing to him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

At least we will try to win the ************* game.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just found this and it made me lol
Around 2:30 or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Very very good news for us. Hopefully these guys are ready to go come saturday as it would be a huge boost for our offensive line.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I would be nervous about Vollmer. Getting him healthy would be great, but it's been a long time since he's played. Slightly dangerous putting him back in for the first time in months in a playoff situation, let alone against Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I'm really not all that concerned about a healthy rested Vollmer returning against Dumervill, + Miller hasn't been the same force he was up until his injury recently. I guess I'm really not concerned about getting our two best linemen back healthy and rested for the start of the playoffs.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
I guess I'm really not concerned about getting our two best linemen back healthy and rested for the start of the playoffs.
Well, it's not quite that black and white. It's not a matter of getting them healthy; that's good, obviously. But it's tough to go from not playing for months to the intensity level of a playoff game at the drop of a hat. Mankins will be fine, but there well could be some rust with Vollmer. Remember, he's tried to come back a few times this year to somewhat mixed results.

Miller looked plenty strong in that playoff game. Sacks have a tendency to come in bunches too....like against a guy coming back for the first time. He hasn't even practiced until now. Don't get me wrong, if Vollmer can go and go 100%, that's huge. It's just that it's better to ease guys back into game shape and speed after being out that long...and that can't happen now obviously.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Well, it's not quite that black and white. It's not a matter of getting them healthy; that's good, obviously. But it's tough to go from not playing for months to the intensity level of a playoff game at the drop of a hat. Mankins will be fine, but there well could be some rust with Vollmer. Remember, he's tried to come back a few times this year to somewhat mixed results.

Miller looked plenty strong in that playoff game. Sacks have a tendency to come in bunches too....like against a guy coming back for the first time. He hasn't even practiced until now. Don't get me wrong, if Vollmer can go and go 100%, that's huge. It's just that it's better to ease guys back into game shape and speed after being out that long...and that can't happen now obviously.
You're too tough on Vollmer. He's been solid all year despite back issues. I am sure we are practicing full pads alot this week so most of that rust will come off. Which as a professional football player, I don't think you garner that much being off what 5 weeks?
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So your telling me you are completely comfortable throwing out a guy who hasn't played in over a month in a playoff game(throw out the fact it's against good pass rushers)? No apprehension whatsoever? Just put him out there, he'll be fine?

That's just not the way it works. Vollmer could play absolutely fantastic and that would be huge, but there's at least some level of concern there.

Shoot, even before he went out for full games(after the first the first go around, he missed from the Chargers game to the Steelers game as well) he was playing limited snaps. It's been a year round thing, and if you haven't seen his effectiveness limited from it this season, especially when you compare what he was able to do last year, I don't know what to tell you honestly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-10-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Eh I think your over emphasizing the rust thing. Vollmer in playing with some rust is better than any backup we have at the moment.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As recently as last week reporters were saying that they saw him visibly hobbled coming out of the trainers room, and now one week later we see him practicing and presumably he'll be fine to go on Saturday? Couple that with the fact that he looked very bad his last time out, and he'll be facing Miller and I don't see how you could be particularly confident he'll be great. I'd take my chances with Solder next week tbh.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Eh I think your over emphasizing the rust thing. Vollmer in playing with some rust is better than any backup we have at the moment.
Not sure I agree with that. Solder has been up and down this year, but I wouldn't categorize him as a liability at any point with maybe a few exceptions.

Forgive me if I have a low expectation level for a guy who has been in and out of 6 games all the year. Vollmer was kind of just getting through it when he did play too. He wasn't bad, but I just don't want to play musical offensive linemen against a team with a good pass rush in the playoffs. Wouldn't surprise me if the team felt that way either, with Solder getting snaps at RT and moving to TE and getting Vollmer some action at spots too. We did that quite a bit throughout the regular season when Vollmer was struggling staying healthy and it worked fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
As recently as last week reporters were saying that they saw him visibly hobbled coming out of the trainers room, and now one week later we see him practicing and presumably he'll be fine to go on Saturday? Couple that with the fact that he looked very bad his last time out, and he'll be facing Miller and I don't see how you could be particularly confident he'll be great. I'd take my chances with Solder next week tbh.
Miller and Doom are two guys I feel pretty good about Solder facing too. Obviously, I think we would all love for Vollmer to get healthy, but it's just an awfully tough situation to come back from an injury that's hampered you the entire season and flick the switch and be fine for the playoffs.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Vollmer and Solder are both athletic enough to be a 3rd TE. I'd rather see Solder at RT and Vollmer at TE with a possbility of being a RT if needed.