Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

double post...

Last edited by CDCB14 : 01-12-2012 at 12:16 AM.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Rather spend big money FA on CB or Safety.

For Guard, go draft.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and by the way, just some stats to prove Rob Ryan is stupidly overrated:

The Browns passing defense ranked as follows over the past 3 years:

2009 and 2010 (with Rob)- 18th and 28th.

2011 (without Rob)- 2nd.

Also, when we blitzed the QB this year, QB's against us had the highest passer rating in the league at 108!!!!!! One hundred and freakin' eight!!!!

That's pathetic. I really don't have a trust in his defense to be honest. I hope better players changes that.... but his defenses have been average to below average his whole career in the NFL..
Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Also, if we're going to win, we better win now. I know the team is looking good in cap money right now, but look at our free agents for the next 3 years:

After 2012:

Stephen McGee, Mike Jenkins, Felix Jones, Kenyon Coleman, John Phillips, Victor Butler, Barry Church, Phil Costa.

After 2013:

Tony Romo, Sean Lissemore, Josh Brent, Jason Hatcher, Sean Lee, Kyle Kosier.

After 2014:

DeMarco Murray, Dez Bryant, Tyron Smith, Doug Free, David Arkin, Bill Nagy.

That's almost every core player besides Witten, Ware, Miles and Ratliff who are all locked up to long term deals.

I know NFL rosters fluctuate a good amount every off-season, the team will probably look pretty different each year, and we will be able to re-sign some of them and use free agency and the draft to plug holes, but if we want to win we better do it soon....
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see a lot of people clamoring to sign Thomas at CB in FA. But aren't you guys a little worried about his health with his torn ACL? With that injury he won't be back to his old self until the 2013 season.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I missing any of our FAs?

WR Jesse Holley RFA
WR Kevin Ogletree RFA
WR Laurent Robinson UFA
TE Martellus Bennett UFA
P Mat McBriar UFA
OG Derrick Dockery UFA
LB Keith Brooking UFA
LB Bradie James UFA
LB Anthony Spencer UFA
FS Alan Ball UFA
FS Abram Elam UFA
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Oh and by the way, just some stats to prove Rob Ryan is stupidly overrated:

The Browns passing defense ranked as follows over the past 3 years:

2009 and 2010 (with Rob)- 18th and 28th.

2011 (without Rob)- 2nd.

Also, when we blitzed the QB this year, QB's against us had the highest passer rating in the league at 108!!!!!! One hundred and freakin' eight!!!!

That's pathetic. I really don't have a trust in his defense to be honest. I hope better players changes that.... but his defenses have been average to below average his whole career in the NFL..
The Browns schedule this year had them playing the NFC West, AFC South, Oakland, Miami, and a gimpy Roethlisberger. They didn't face a top passer all year. I'd say their rating is very inflated.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, if we're going to win, we better win now. I know the team is looking good in cap money right now, but look at our free agents for the next 3 years:

After 2012:

Stephen McGee, Mike Jenkins, Felix Jones, Kenyon Coleman, John Phillips, Victor Butler, Barry Church, Phil Costa.

After 2013:

After 2014:

That's almost every core player besides Witten, Ware, Miles and Ratliff who are all locked up to long term deals.

I know NFL rosters fluctuate a good amount every off-season, the team will probably look pretty different each year, and we will be able to re-sign some of them and use free agency and the draft to plug holes, but if we want to win we better do it soon....
Who in that 2012 FA class do you consider a core player? They all seem pretty replaceable to me.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I see a lot of people clamoring to sign Thomas at CB in FA. But aren't you guys a little worried about his health with his torn ACL? With that injury he won't be back to his old self until the 2013 season.
He tore it in August, I'm sure he'll be good to go. If anything, that will make him come cheaper, and even on 1 leg he's better than Newman.

To Bigmac, yes that seems like all of our FA's. I know Parnell is a Exclusive Rights free agent which means he has to sign a minimum 3 year deal with us or he can't play in the NFL.

On to more intriguing news. I tweet at Broaddus this morning about Carl nicks, and he said:

Quote:
have money to try, it's a need and something they want to try and fix, so yes
I don't know if he heard that directly from the organization or is just assuming, but it's positive news nonetheless!

Colston is a free agent with Brees, so is robert meachum and i'm sure they have some others. So Nicks will be on the market.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

After 2012:

After 2013:

After 2014:

Haha, this is happening in every franchise though.
Cowboys are surprisingly one of the youngest teams in the league. This "Core" needs to win something, but that's mostly because Romo and Ware are getting up there, and who knows when we'll have another franchise QB...Ware is a HOF'er, but QB is the most important position on the field, and as long as we can find a replacement for Romo...Murray/Dez/Smith/Free/Lee will all be Cowboys for the next Decade or so. Those are pretty decent pieces to have as building blocks.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 01-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Haha, this is happening in every franchise though. Cowboys are surprisingly one of the youngest teams in the league. This "Core" needs to win something, but that's mostly because Romo and Ware are getting up there, and who knows when we'll have another franchise QB...Ware is a HOF'er, but QB is the most important position on the field, and as long as we can find a replacement for Romo...Murray/Dez/Smith/Free/Lee will all be Cowboys for the next Decade or so.
Murray, Dez, Free, Smith, and Carter will all be free agents in the same off-season. How the hell do you expect to keep them all? I know it's 3 years from now, but still..
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Murray, Dez, Free, Smith, and Carter will all be free agents in the same off-season. How the hell do you expect to keep them all? I know it's 3 years from now, but still..
I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself lol, let's see Bruce Carter on the field before we worry about how we're going to re-sign him in 2014.

They hold a draft every year for a reason, things change and players age... this is the way of the NFL. Who knows what we'll look like in 3 years.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Lee has a solid year this upcoming year he'll get an extension early.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

btb had some good insight on our new coaches we've brought in.

Quote:
In 2008, three of the offensive linemen (with Bill Callahan as their position coach) from the Jets were named to the Pro Bowl-center Nick Mangold, guard Alan Faneca and tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. All three repeated in 2009. Under Callahan's direction of the running game the Jets broke the franchise record in 2009 gaining 2756 yards on the ground through 16 regular season games. They led the National Football League in rushing and averaged 4.5 yard per attempt.
Quote:
In 2010, Henderson was instrumental in the development of cornerback Joe Haden and safety T.J. Ward, both of whom were consensus all-rookie selections...Prior to joining the Browns, Henderson spent the previous two seasons as a member of the New York Jetsí staff. Under Hendersonís guidance as defensive backs coach in 2008, cornerback Darrelle Revis earned a Pro Bowl berth after leading the team with five interceptions. In 2007, Henderson split duties as an assistant defensive backs coach and director of player development. He first joined the Jets in 2006 as the director of player development

Henderson played eight seasons as a defensive back in the NFL after New England made him a second-round draft choice in 1991. He played with the Patriots (1991-93, 1996), Buffalo (1993-94), Philadelphia (1995) and the Jets (1997-98) in his NFL career, during which time he appeared in 98 games with 34 starts. He recorded nine career interceptions. Henderson played in two Super Bowls, with the Bills in Super Bowl XXVIII and with New England in Super Bowl XXXI.
I like Henderson a lot...hopefully we get him a Revis/Haden type prospect to work with this year. Woulda rather had Sparano on offense but that must not have been possible.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
If Lee has a solid year this upcoming year he'll get an extension early.
Exactly...same thing that happened to Witten(fantastic extension), Ware(Fantastic extension), Scandrick(jury is out), and Barber(unfortunately this backfired). You lock cornerstone players up long term before they even hit the market. You're fretting about nothing...If Jerry wants to keep every player you named...they'll be in Cowboys uniforms. Jerry has a LOT of flaws....a lot of them...but resigning his players isn't one of them.

The only problem I see as far as long term is finding a franchise QB. Everything else is pretty easy to manage, and something every NFL franchise deals with.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm reading we went with Callahan over Sparano because Garrett isn't interested in giving up offensive play calling. Ugh I just don't like Garrett calling plays. He couldnt' even manage the clock.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was always hoping experience would improve his decisions and play calling, and it has to a certain extent. Offense was looking pretty balanced when Murray was playing well, but his game management still needs improvement. Hopefully he makes more strides this coming season. That's all we can really hope far at this point.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...medium=twitter

Interesting thought.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I just posted this in the draft thread lol. Preaching exactly what i've been saying. Every position is important!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

[/html]QUOTE=thule;2822287]I'm reading we went with Callahan over Sparano because Garrett isn't interested in giving up offensive play calling. Ugh I just don't like Garrett calling plays. He couldnt' even manage the clock.[/quote]

Haha, I love how folks just throw out some hair brained sh*t and hope it sticks.

A) Where are you reading that?
B) What gives the writer of where you read that any reason to believe that?

From everything I've read, Sparano was headed to NY. He's a jersey boy, and it was pretty much a done deal once Schotty got fired. Callahan rejected numerous extensions throughout the year with the Jets so I'm led to believe that maybe Dallas has had this planned for awhile.

Garrett calling plays has had the Cowboys as a top 5 offense year after year. He's got some growing to do, but that's as a head coach. Sparano wasn't going to help with that as a Oline coach anymore than Callahan is.

Callahan has experience as a head coach, his input will be invaluable..and if Garrett ever gets fired midseason...He'll fill in nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I was always hoping experience would improve his decisions and play calling, and it has to a certain extent. Offense was looking pretty balanced when Murray was playing well, but his game management still needs improvement. Hopefully he makes more strides this coming season. That's all we can really hope far at this point.
Exactly...the stretch when Murray was running like a bull in a china shop, was possibly the best few games I've seen Garrett call. Balanced, took shots down field, ran the ball at the right time...only pulled the gadget play when needed.

Cowboys were pretty snake bit with the injuries to RB & WR this year...let's hope that changes next season.

I still love this play/drive when Murray went down early.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/gjGKxNtUFus
The sky isn't falling.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 01-12-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Haha, I love how folks just throw out some hair brained sh*t and hope it sticks.

A) Where are you reading that?
B) What gives the writer of where you read that any reason to believe that?

From everything I've read, Sparano was headed to NY. He's a jersey boy, and it was pretty much a done deal once Schotty got fired. Callahan rejected numerous extensions throughout the year with the Jets so I'm led to believe that maybe Dallas has had this planned for awhile.
Actually, what Thule said was all over the blogs and reports. He probably just didn't feel like citing a source.

Oh and Sparano is from West Haven, Connecticut, about 15 minutes north of me. He's not a Jersey boy. Don't disrespect him like that lol.

It's simple, really. Sparano wants another shot at being a head coach. He's going to get total control of the Jets offense, and if he turns that unit around he will probably get another shot. With Dallas, he'd just be an OL coach who isn't going to call plays because Garrett isn't giving that up. It would be a pointless stop for a coach who is still relatively young and wants another shot at a head job.

No need to get snappy bro.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
Actually, what Thule said was all over the blogs and reports. He probably just didn't feel like citing a source.

Oh and Sparano is from West Haven, Connecticut, about 15 minutes north of me. He's not a Jersey boy. Don't disrespect him like that lol.

It's simple, really. Sparano wants another shot at being a head coach. He's going to get total control of the Jets offense, and if he turns that unit around he will probably get another shot. With Dallas, he'd just be an OL coach who isn't going to call plays because Garrett isn't giving that up. It would be a pointless stop for a coach who is still relatively young and wants another shot at a head job.

No need to get snappy bro.
Not snappy at all....I've just read over and over from blogs/boards that fans think that somehow Garrett blocked Sparano from coming here...when from all indications I've read it wasn't the case.

No biggie.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just posted this in the draft thread lol. Preaching exactly what i've been saying. Every position is important!
I just believe with a lot of pass rush coming up the middle that having good interior line play is essential. Plus with a runner like Murray we need good play from the G position as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

A few promising notes from the DMN blog today:

Stephen Jones said we have enough money to aggressively pursue an impact free agent if they decide to. He also said that it won't be just a defensive draft if there is someone who can help them on offense. (DeCastro?!?!!) He also said he expects Henderson to be a great DB coach.

Also, Damien Woody said to he talked to Callahan about coming here and that Callahan is excited, and is a very detail oriented coach who is a great hire for the Cowboys.

Can read the posts for yourselves here:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Callahan is a great coach. Go check his teams and their OL play. Hell he turned around Robert Gallery's career.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote