Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Highly highly recommend this if you ever are in the Maine Old Port area. Right now it's my favorite beer. Also the wings at this place were recently just voted 3rd best in the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My first home brew was bottled. It was suppose to be a black IPA but I didn't get enough SRMs still turned out to be a great dark amber IPA

I drastically changed the recipe from my first post I walked away from the mash and went with extract.

Fermentables

1 can of Briess Amber LME
8 oz of Sparkling Amber DME
.4 oz of Carafa special III steeped @ 150 F for 30 minutes

Hops

.25 oz Chinook 60 Min
.25 oz Cascade 45 Min
.25 oz Cascade 30 min
.5 oz centennial 30 min
.5 oz Citra 15 Min
.5 oz Citra flame out.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

drinking this tonight; delicious.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
you should've at least quadrupled the hops. how easy is the IPA? been tempted to homebrew, but i only know people who've gone for amber-y styles, and that's not overly appealing.
It is only a 2 gallon batch. So the hop level is adequate for the IBUs I wanted. I'd say the hardest part of brewing any beer is the waiting. If you start from extracts it isn't that difficult aside from the aforementioned waiting. There is also a Dark Malt extract if you are looking for a black IPA. (Which was the effect I was trying to get with the Carafa III) Basically it is a matter of measuring. Boiling water and adding stuff.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey NJX how is Fort Collins Brewing? More specifically the Incredible Hop Belgian Imperial IPA?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post

drinking this tonight; delicious.
I'm not a huge fan.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had this yesterday (Underworld Double IPA). It was flat and disappointing. The regular IPA was way better.

Also, MOAR STONE DOUBLE IPA THIS WEEKEND!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok thanks. I don't really like Belgian IPA's either but I saw it today and the store and for reason I picked it up. It sounds like I won't like it though. I also picked up the Southern Tier 2x IPA and Green Flash Imperial IPA.

I want that Stone Double IPA sooooooo bad.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
i was mostly joking, since about all i like is hoppy beer. but word, doesn't sound too tough... is the equipment expensive? did you buy local, or online?
Home Brewing Kits range from as low as $29 and as high as around 500+ depending what you would want to do and how much of it you would want to make. You will also have to buy a hydrometer if you go with the less expensive side. I got mine as a Christmas present but there isn't too much difference from local to online after postage. I would say to start the $29 one and grow from there. If you enjoy it you can get more equipment or upgrade to a better kit.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
agreed. as above, but it just didn't do much for me as an 'ipa'.
I don't give a **** what they call it, I just liked the taste.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Ruination type of night..I am drunk.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i was mostly joking, since about all i like is hoppy beer. but word, doesn't sound too tough... is the equipment expensive? did you buy local, or online?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...-all-kits.html

Bunch of different starter kits. The "Everything" for $145 is a sweet deal, but you'd need an extra bucket ($12?) and a reusable mesh bag for hop adds. The beers available for the kit aren't that great, but even if they didn't include a beer it's a great deal to start extract brewing.

I started with the $65 kit, an extra bucket, a mesh bag, and a siphon. Then I bought a pot from K-Mart for $20 (tough to find cheap 5+ Gallon pots (you need at least 2 gallons, but the less water you have to add after boiling, the better)). Add in a kit (Brown or Wheat because they are the hardest to **** up aside from Ambers - which are gross) and I got started for about $160-170.

I get my extract brewing kits from there and from http://www.northernbrewer.com (they have a spot-on Two-Hearted clone).

Last edited by nepg : 01-21-2012 at 08:31 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

deliciousness from the CA desert. next week i'm going to try their double ipa, when they get 'em in.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...-all-kits.html

Bunch of different starter kits. The "Everything" for $145 is a sweet deal, but you'd need an extra bucket ($12?) and a reusable mesh bag for hop adds. The beers available for the kit aren't that great, but even if they didn't include a beer it's a great deal to start extract brewing.

I started with the $65 kit, an extra bucket, a mesh bag, and a siphon. Then I bought a pot from K-Mart for $20 (tough to find cheap 5+ Gallon pots (you need at least 2 gallons, but the less water you have to add after boiling, the better)). Add in a kit (Brown or Wheat because they are the hardest to **** up aside from Ambers - which are gross) and I got started for about $160-170.

I get my extract brewing kits from there and from http://www.northernbrewer.com (they have a spot-on Two-Hearted clone).
I have to say I agree here the "Everything" seems to be the way to go. It even comes with a pot and caper.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

apparently people don't like pale ale.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i hate everyone in rdt talking about beer. really? someone mentioned blue moon? ugh. it's like bringing up wendy's when someone's discussing fine dining.
Yeah, it's bad. The scotch talk is equally bad.

Last night I went to the beer bar and had a Founder's Breakfast Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, and a Firestone IPA. Deliciousness.

Also, this badass:

Last edited by Rob S : 01-22-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

Quote:
yeah, i kept trying for a few months, and just couldn't find a white ipa i thought was any good. love the green flash, though.
Had Green Flash last night; twas delicious.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Since it's almost that time of year, who else is pumped about Spring ales? those are my favorite seasonal brews.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HOPSLAM!!!!

Also, Boulevard Chocolate... Both on the same day!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm heading to New Orleans in a few weeks and I'm going to a place called Cooter Brown's. They have hundreds of different beers from all around the world. Any advice on what foreign beers are really great? I'd prefer something more obscure, maybe a beer from Africa or Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Saratoga Beer Summit. I've heard of most of these brewers but those highlighted I do not know are they any good?

Breweries
Sample great beers from these confirmed breweries. Many more breweries coming soon!

Abita
ADK
Blue Point
Brooklyn
Brown’s Brewing Co.
Clown Shoes
Coney Island
Davidson Bros.
Dogfish Head
EBC
Flying Dog
Goose Island
Harpoon
HeBrew
Hoppin’ Frog
Ithaca Beer Co.
Keegan’s
Kona
Lagunitas
Lake Placid
Long Trail
Magic Hat
McNeill’s Olde Burnside
Olde Saratoga
Ommegang
Otter Creek
Peak Organic
Red Hook
Rogue
Sam Adams
Saranac
Shipyard
Shock Top
Sierra Nevada
Sixpoint
SMuttynose
Southern Tier
Stone
Switchback
Troegs
Victory
Wandering Star
Weyerbacher
Widmer Bros.
Wolavers Baltika
Bass
Beck’s
Chimay
DuPont
Gold Star
Hoegaarden
Hofbrau
Kostritzer
Leffe
Marston’s
Palm
Paulaner
Reisdorph Kolsch
Rince Cochon
Spaten
Stella
Weihenstephan
Wells/Youngs
Wurzburger
Wychwood
Xingu
Yanjing
Zywiec

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Xingu is a black lager. Very good.

Wells/Youngs I believe makes Young's Double Chocolate Stout which is solid.

Hofbrau, Paulaner, and Weihenstephan are German/Belgian standard fare breweries. Usually not my favorite, but very drinkable. They all make Oktoberfests, Heffeweizens, and lagers.

Reisdorph Kolsch makes a Kolsch...which is Europe's answer to nasty ass light lagers. I hate it.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

got a 6er of these for tonight (not my pic)

Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Zywiec is a regular, crappy polish beer.

However, the Zywiec Porter is very good.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I usually hate Sam Adams' seasonals, but the Alpine Spring is actually pretty decent. I recommend checking it out, even if it would work much better when it's warmer out.....seems a good "lay by the pool" beer to me.

Last edited by Rob S : 01-27-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote