Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With those stats(especially the QB hits). How many of them came earlier in the season? And how many closer to the backend? I do wonder whether there was an improvement as the season wore on.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:28 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
In run blocking Free was statistically, the TOP #1 run blocker in the league. In pass blocking he was 15th allowing our QB to get knocked to the ground 12 times this past season.
I'm wondering where you got these numbers? I just read from pro football focus Free was rated as the 5th best pass blocking tackle in the entire league last season, on either side. We know he's a beast as a run blocker. We know he's an excellent RT, and he played awesome on the left. I don't care which side he plays, but I do know he's proven to be a top 10 tackle in this league and still improving.

I'm really not sure which areas you saw him struggle in last year, or that you think he'd continue to struggle with.

It's probably in that article where I posted that talked about Stephen Bowen, but I did find this quickly to reiterate:

Quote:
Before last season, it appeared the Cowboys were taking a sizable leap of faith when they decided to promote Doug Free to left tackle upon releasing veteran Flozell Adams in April 2010. After all, Free had started only seven games in his career and he did so on the other side of the line.

But as the season played out, it became clear that the move was justified. Free, a restricted free agent whom the Cowboys offered a tender amounting to approximately $3.5 million in March, allowed only five sacks last season. Almost overnight, he emerged as one of the best linemen in the league. In fact, Pro Football Focus determined that Free produced the fifth-best pass blocking efficiency rating among left tackles in the NFL

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/...#ixzz1Qb4VA823

So all in all, he graded out as the best run blocking tackle, and 5th best passing tackle in his 1st year on the left side. So I'd say there is no cause for alarm and he's still a young player growing and getting better. Nothing wrong with Tyron Smith playing on the right side, Jason Smith did it, Michael Oher did it, Andre Smith did it, list goes on and on. All these guys were either better prospects, or on the same level as Tyron.

It be different if he struggles on that side and he can only play the left, or had Free struggled on the left, but none of those seem likely. It'd be nearly impossible for Tyron to step in as a 20 year old rookie and play better then Free last year and give him the responsibility of protecting Romo's blindside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 06-28-2011 at 01:37 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the added weight, Tyron will be fine on the Right Side. At the time I started this thread, I anticipated Tyron (or a player like Tyron who at the time was too light for RT and was projected as a LT ONLY) would be an upgrade for us at LT. I know I started it in January, but I knew I wanted Tyron then. ... and I thought drafting him and moving Free to the Right would make sense.

I can't remember where I got the stats about Free. Should've asked me at the time.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
DrAbaddon
Rookie

DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DrAbaddon wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Sooooo, I like this idea now. Free is solid, but he struggles a bit against the top speed guys and won't have to face that as much on the right...And Tyron is ready, especially with an entire offseason.
DrAbaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Free will be fine back over on the right.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We all know Tyron is destined to be our LT of the future. We might as well go with it starting next year. Especially after the floppy poppy year that Free had at LT.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought we would leave Free at LT before i had any idea we would take Tyron Smith with our pick last year. After his showing this season, Smith to LT is inevitable. There were some plays this past season where Free just got embarrassed, and looked completely slow and flat footed. What a step back this guy took.