Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear the elf View Post
The point isn't that already established guys need a great WR or RB. The point is that the great QBs in the NFL all had talent at either WR or RB to get to where they are today.

You cite guys like Joey Harrington and Michael Vick. Those guys were drafted onto teams bereft of talent when they got there. I'm saying, they should have added at least one playmaker the year before in the draft or during free agency. That playmaker makes it easier for the QB to develop into a franchise guy that (this is where we agree) doesn't need high draft picks at WR and RB to be great, because he already is great!

For example, Roethlesberger was able to lean on guys like Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, and Plaxico Burress in his first few seasons. Once he established himself as a franchise QB, the Steelers didn't need the big names around him anymore. Going back to my point, if he doesn't have those three guys in his first few seasons, he gets killed out there and never develops into the QB that you see today.

That's my stance on developing young QBs. You need guys to help them in their first few years. No QB is entering this offense next year and making the guys around him better. Without a WR or RB to lean on (either from the draft or free agency), he will go the way of Tim Couch before him...
and I'm disagreeing especially if it means using your top picks on low rated positions to help one position instead of addressing other areas to help the overall team. I would rather have an elite offensive line to develop my QB than an elite group of receivers (a la the Detroit Lions approach). I'm saying that WR's and RB's especially can be found outside the first round. In fact many of today's top receivers were mid round guys and undrafted guys and running backs are again, a dime a dozen. The great Jerry Rice only touched the ball a handful of times a game and he wasn't added until the niners went 18-1 coming off a Super Bowl victory. Plus young qb's typically rely on their tight ends which we happen to have a strong selection of. Lastly, Vick lead the falcons to be the first team ever to beat Green Bay in the playoffs in Lambeau as a first time starter. Falcons would have been much better off to address other areas of their team instead of over valuing offensive "play-makers" and maybe then they could have beaten Philly or have a stronger team for Matt Ryan instead of making the same mistakes mortgaging their future for a flashy WR who still can't help them put up points in the playoffs.

Even going off your own list, I would say Brady, Brees, Vick, and Cutler (why are you listing Marshall when he was drafted same year 4th round thus proving my point that there wasn't much in Denver besides a good offensive line and a system running game that anyone can succeed in which helps when you have A GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE). You list Rivers, Schaub and Rodgers but I feel all three would be fine without their "elite" wr because they are all franchise guys who were able to be taught under other franchise guys in Brees, Favre and Vick. Plus I would bet Stafford would be better without megatron but with a good offensive line instead of a **** line and an elite wr.

Would rather my young QB develop from coaching and playing behind a good line not taking shots like Stafford, Bradford, Carr and Couch and having a chance than relying on a receiver or string of failed receivers (a la Detroit).

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote