Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Honestly, the more I've thought about it, the more I'm encouraged by Gronkowski. I've watched the Ravens game a few times now and while we didn't throw to him for the rest of the game, he actually moved pretty well.

The Vollmer news is far and away the biggest nugget out of the useless exercise that is media day. Encouraging to hear that we'll at least have some options and flexibility with regards to the line.
Agreed, having a healthy Vollmer will hopefully be a big help. Ughh I just want the game to get here, my anticipation for this game is ridiculous. I'm way to anxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Honestly, the more I've thought about it, the more I'm encouraged by Gronkowski. I've watched the Ravens game a few times now and while we didn't throw to him for the rest of the game, he actually moved pretty well.

The Vollmer news is far and away the biggest nugget out of the useless exercise that is media day. Encouraging to hear that we'll at least have some options and flexibility with regards to the line.
Gronkowski will play just need to find out how effective he'll be. At the least he needs to be able to get those safeties out of the middle of the field for Welker and Hernandez to do some damage.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still iffy about playing Vollmer against one of the best DLs in the game. If he's not 100% he shouldn't see the field too much because he'll get Brady killed.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Agreed, having a healthy Vollmer will hopefully be a big help. Ughh I just want the game to get here, my anticipation for this game is ridiculous. I'm way to anxious.
I'm starting to feel it. I wasn't until yesterday, but yeah, I'm getting there too. This is really, really ******* big. Losing on a stage like this again to the same team would be awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Gronkowski will play just need to find out how effective he'll be. At the least he needs to be able to get those safeties out of the middle of the field for Welker and Hernandez to do some damage.
ESPN has been talking about it and it's rather obvious, but the key will be how he's able to get off the line. The Giants are going to come up and jam him hard. We know it, they know it. Usually, he's damn near unstoppable there because of how big and strong he is in addition to the speed...but with the ankle, he might not be able to generate enough push. Anything to make him have to stop and start again plays into the Giants favor.

I hate to say it, but Chad might have to make a few catches down the field in this game.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm starting to feel it. I wasn't until yesterday, but yeah, I'm getting there too. This is really, really ******* big. Losing on a stage like this again to the same team would be awful.

ESPN has been talking about it and it's rather obvious, but the key will be how he's able to get off the line. The Giants are going to come up and jam him hard. We know it, they know it. Usually, he's damn near unstoppable there because of how big and strong he is in addition to the speed...but with the ankle, he might not be able to generate enough push. Anything to make him have to stop and start again plays into the Giants favor.

I hate to say it, but Chad might have to make a few catches down the field in this game.
How ironic would it be if Chad catches a game winner in the SB? lol
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently there's an illness going around the team. That's just a real kick in the balls. The most notable guy I've heard who it's gotten is Light, but still, let's hope that goes away.

Should be interesting to hear how the rest of the practices go, with everything being on full pads so far. I kind of like how we elected to do that. Always seems to help a bit with the tackling.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting antsy myself. Decided to do the SB Party route at my buddies which should be fun. Now I'm just watching the clock . . .

The illness is better news on Tuesday than on Friday, but still worrisome.

Ocho for 4 catches, 78 yards and two TDs . . . you heard it here first.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
How ironic would it be if Chad catches a game winner in the SB? lol
Young Chad's dream was probably about beating single coverage on his way to catching a Super Bowl winning TD.

It's definitely possible given how this offense desperately needs an outside guy to dominate those single coverages and force the safety back out of the box.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm not comfortable with that idea, but if things start breaking down I hope we at least give it a chance. We need someone to clear up the passing lanes for our underneath stuff. Hopefully, we can get someone who can fit in the offense in the offseason. Unfortunately, we need someone to do it now and Chad is the only option we have if Gronk can't do it effectively.

...at the very least, no one will be expecting it. Or shouldn't be, anyway.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only 1 reporter was talking to Logan Mankins at the media day, while around 30 were asking Chad questions and Logan had a podium.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's the 'stache. He looks like a Viking.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Only 1 reporter was talking to Logan Mankins at the media day, while around 30 were asking Chad questions and Logan had a podium.
That's because media day is a non-football event.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So any thoughts on if we'll see Ridley inactive again? I really felt like we missed some of his big play ability against the Ravens. It's hard not to get greedy when you watch Benny run and think about the extra yards Ridley could get. There's some things I really don't like about the way he runs and I do think the ball security and decisiveness is an issue...but you want to put the the guys who give you the best chance to move the ball on the field.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd bet he remains in active. Fumbles in the playoffs are too much to bear when there's no other-worldly upgrade from Ridley to BJGE.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will gladly stick with BJGE over Ridley in this game. I'm sorry but BJGE was very effective against the Ravens and sure Ridley may have gotten an extra ten yards out of some of those runs but he also could have danced around a bit and not hit on those runs or worse yet, fumbled in the red zone (like in denver, you ass Ridley). So imo, I want to stay with BJGE for this one.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

As a rule, I would agree...but I can see the other side of it too. I don't think anyone wants to see him get the lions share of the carries, but the possibility of a 25 yard gain on the ground on any given down is very tempting. Especially against a Giants defense that has struggled against the run. There's really no reason to mess with it, but that's one I could see the team go either way on. In the end, it's likely too much of a risk though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've read that Ridley thinks he'll be active. I'm in the 'All hands on deck' view, though; if Ridley offers any edge use him, even though I'm plenty comfortable with (and have always liked) BJE.

Unrelated, but here at work everyone is nervous for Sunday (I think more than a few of my co-workers will not be happy campers Monday. I thought ahead and took a vacation day :)

Just read a great piece by Jerry Thorton that soothes my fears:
Quote:
But I'm OK. Preternaturally calm. No worries. Clear eyes. Full heart. And do you know why?
Because the Patriots can't possibly win. Not a chance.
I know this because I've been listening to the press all week

Read the whole piece, it's pretty good ;)

Last edited by Blackluck : 02-01-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Sunday should read Monday oops
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think the best way to use Ridley would be to give him a few early "test the waters" carries early. If he's hitting the hole hard and finding yards, keep giving it to him. If he's dancing around and trying to bounce everything, move on to more efficient options. He's one of those guys who just runs very hot and cold, at least at this point in his career. If we catch him on a good wave I would not complain.

Oh, and Jackie MacMullan wrote a very good article on Dante Scarnecchia today. That's actually one of two pieces she's done a real good job on this week. Good read on one of the more under-appreciated guys on the coaching staff. Here's the link.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 02-01-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Along the lines of the Giants D being pretty bad against the run, I really really hope we earned from that last SB to run the ball, and we should be using a ton of screens as I as well as some of you have mentioned. Great way to sustain long time consuming drives.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Also numbers never lie just showed a stat that the Giants against two tight end formations have the lowest sack rate of any team in the NFL, getting only four sacks all year long for a sack rate of 2.8%. When they played us in week 9 they sacked Brady once when we had both TEs in. Pretty awesome stat for us Pats fans.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That makes sense. Forces the defensive ends out wider and gives them an extra bit of traffic to wade through before getting to the initial block. Vollmer being healthy could be a big get in terms of formation flexibly. It allows us to put Gronk and Solder in at tight end and then move Hernandez to either receiver or runningback.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the link EE. I'm glad Scar has stuck around as long as he has, he's an amazing O line coach.
That's an incredible stat of sacks. I wonder if that's part of the reason BB is so relaxed. Prior to the Rams game in '01 he was the same way. In that game he had told Curren prior to the game "the hay is in the barn" - and that's with the Pats as 14 point dogs.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Also numbers never lie just showed a stat that the Giants against two tight end formations have the lowest sack rate of any team in the NFL, getting only four sacks all year long for a sack rate of 2.8%. When they played us in week 9 they sacked Brady once when we had both TEs in. Pretty awesome stat for us Pats fans.
Did not know that. That is promising.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO we need to have Ridley active. Like EE said test the waters early. If we can put together a nice physical drive in the opening with 2TE sets we and screens we can halt the pass rush early and get the corners and safeties in man biting on the run. We know they're going to play man on the outside and clog the middle of the field (who wouldn't against us) but honestly this is a team we're more physical than, and I believe that the Pats can push them around. If we can get them into believing that this is going to be a grind it out football game that would play right into our hands. Take the shots later when the corners get preoccupied with the run.

I actually think it's a good thing we stuggled offensively in the first meeting. I think sometimes when we're successful in the first go round we get complacent just running crossing routes to Welker and hitting Gronk up the seam, and avoid having anything else to turn to in the next game in case that doesn't work out. I think our offense has a lot more versatility than the ways we actually use it. We can run the ball when we want to, and the potential for screens are there. I think we can beat the Giants if we do this early.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not worried one bit about the offense. The defense needs to come to play. If they come out and play well, the Pats win. Bottom line.