Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Not worried one bit about the offense. The defense needs to come to play. If they come out and play well, the Pats win. Bottom line.
Honestly, that has been kind of getting me all week. People say that the Giants offense is just as good as ours, but I really don't see it. Yes, Manning, Nicks, and Cruz are incredible, but besides them that unit isn't particularly special. They have better receivers, but we have a noticeable edge everywhere else except maybe running back if Bradshaw comes to play. We have a Swiss army knife which is really only missing a deep threat. They've got big play ability, but I think they're easier to shut down if you can take Cruz out of the game. Defensively they definitely have an edge, but I don't think it's all that much bigger than our O vs. their O.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with that sentiment. It seems to be a forgone conclusion that the Giants will be able to outscore us if that's what it comes to. That's certainly a possibility, but it's far from a certainty. It's a what have you done for me lately kind of league, but we were one of the best offenses in the NFL the entire season. One rough game doesn't change that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cruz gets all the publicity but I'm far more concerned with Nicks. Cruz had a great season and deserves the praise he's getting, but let's not forget that Nicks and Manningham were both banged up for big stretches. This unit is easily one of the best WR groups in the league.

I don't see any scenario where we win this easily. Our D would have to play lights out for 60 minutes and there's absolutely no precedent for that. Could it happen? Sure. But, technically, I could win Powerball this weekend, too.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact that the Pats are playing in the Super Bowl in a few days hasn't registered or hasn't had the same impact as expected. Anyone else feeling very relaxed about this one? Just seems like another game for some reason.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not me. The thought of losing to the Giants again is killing me. I have too many Giants fans as friends. Blows!

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Not me. The thought of losing to the Giants again is killing me. I have too many Giants fans as friends. Blows!
I guess I just don't think we'll lose.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
The fact that the Pats are playing in the Super Bowl in a few days hasn't registered or hasn't had the same impact as expected. Anyone else feeling very relaxed about this one? Just seems like another game for some reason.
I kinda feel the same way. I'm starting to feel it a bit now, but I'm not as excited as I probably should be. I'm really looking forward to the game, but I won't allow myself to expect, or even hope for a victory. I'm setting myself up to be surprised if we win and not as devastated if we lose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not at all. I've got a good feeling about this game, but I've been really sweating bullets for a few days now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Cruz gets all the publicity but I'm far more concerned with Nicks. Cruz had a great season and deserves the praise he's getting, but let's not forget that Nicks and Manningham were both banged up for big stretches. This unit is easily one of the best WR groups in the league.

I don't see any scenario where we win this easily. Our D would have to play lights out for 60 minutes and there's absolutely no precedent for that. Could it happen? Sure. But, technically, I could win Powerball this weekend, too.
I don't see the odds of NE winning as remote as winning the Powerball :P
We don't have to shut them down completely; Eli will get his yards and the receivers will have their catches. We need to have a clean game (no turnovers, limited penalties) and we can win this.

Although honestly I don't have a feeling one way or the other who will win. Risking the obvious, it boils down to execution, and I just don't think that's predictable.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
I don't see the odds of NE winning as remote as winning the Powerball :P
We don't have to shut them down completely; Eli will get his yards and the receivers will have their catches. We need to have a clean game (no turnovers, limited penalties) and we can win this.

Although honestly I don't have a feeling one way or the other who will win. Risking the obvious, it boils down to execution, and I just don't think that's predictable.
No, but the odds of our defense locking down the Giants O for 60 minutes might be quite similar. lol

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not at all. I've got a good feeling about this game, but I've been really sweating bullets for a few days now.
I'm having the same good feeling, I think it might be because BB is in such a good mood. I just don't want to give into this feeling and become comfortable going into the game...

EDIT: Post number 2000! Which means that I'm still about 9 years from post number 10,000 lol... How do you guys post so much?

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ESPN is reporting Gronk is going to practice today. Obviously, he's going to be limited...but it's better than going into the game cold. Let's just hope he doesn't tweak anything.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Gronk did practice today. Very encouraging news for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Interestingly enough, Bill O'Brien agreed with me on Brady's play against the Ravens when he spoke to the media. The first time around watching that game, I thought he blew. Upon further review, it really wasn't as bad as it seemed. We moved the ball very well and made some key plays. Our defense still had to win it, but the margin between that game and the way he usually plays(adjusted for how good the Ravens are) really came down to one or two throws and a few key drops by Hernandez and Welker.

Mostly unrelated. That was the only real story to come out today besides the latest from the Gronkle saga. That and BB staging a mock half time during the practice, which I think is a GREAT idea on a few levels.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, the main thing that everyone talks about going into this game seems to be about the Giants amazing pass rush. But they aren't the same as they were 4 years ago. Sure JPP is beasting it but Tuck and Osi haven't been awesome this year. I seen this interesting stat on twitter

The Giants pressure the QB every 11.63 times they rush the passer, the Patriots pressure the QB every 11.18 times they rush the passer.

So for all the media love for the Giants D line they haven't been as amazing as they are made out to be.

More importantly though, the Patriots offensive line gives up a pressure every 26.99 QB drop backs while the Giants allow a pressure every 14.44 QB Drop backs

Add in that Brady has been sacked only once in the playoffs and I feel a bit better about that.

Not the Giants WRs, they scare the **** out of me

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha, yea, I've been having nightmares about that trio (Mainly Nicks and SalsaMan)

As far as the pass rush, I'm so confident in our OLine, that I haven't thought about it that much.
Only thing I fear, is the times that they do get through, hopefully it's not a strip sack.
Osi is a beast at those.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

They were also missing Tuck and Osi at various points this season, so the numbers will be a bit off.

I still think this game will be decided by Vince. We need a huge performance from him again and I'm reasonably sure he can deliver it. Probably moreso now that I've seen that pressure stat for the Giants Oline.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think one thing we haven't really looked at or talked about(which means it will have a huge impact) will be their tight ends. Our focus will undoubtedly be on stopping those three receivers. Don't be surprised if Ballard makes a few plays that make us sweat.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think one thing we haven't really looked at or talked about(which means it will have a huge impact) will be their tight ends. Our focus will undoubtedly be on stopping those three receivers. Don't be surprised if Ballard makes a few plays that make us sweat.
Ballard will have a few catches but he can't run at all. Anyone other than Tracy White covering him in week 9 and he probably doesn't make the catch to win. I think it's how the Giants run the ball which could be key. No way do I see Belichick playing single high safety against their WRs so the Giants should have opportunities to run. I agree with Flying Elvis here. VW is going to be a huge factor in this game if we are to win

Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm feeling like I did 03/04. 2001 I didn't expect a win but was pumped.
This however feels nothing like 2007. 2007 I had majorly bad feelings and was actually subconsciously sure we would lose.

I feel really good about this one. I think we got it.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

You know I don't think I'm even going to watch the game on Sunday.

According to pretty much everything I've been reading;

The Patriots are actually playing against a mixture of the 86 Bears and 2000 Ravens defense.

Eli Manning is a better, more clutch version of Tom Brady.

The Patriots only made it to the Superbowl because they played against Canadian Football teams all year while the Giants had to play an All Star team week in, week out.

Despite statistics saying the Giants were actually the worst running team in the NFL, they are actually the best.

Despite the Patriots averaging more points and yards the Giants have the better offense.

Rob Gronkowski is in a critical condition.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
You know I don't think I'm even going to watch the game on Sunday.

According to pretty much everything I've been reading;

The Patriots are actually playing against a mixture of the 86 Bears and 2000 Ravens defense.

Eli Manning is a better, more clutch version of Tom Brady.

The Patriots only made it to the Superbowl because they played against Canadian Football teams all year while the Giants had to play an All Star team week in, week out.

Despite statistics saying the Giants were actually the worst running team in the NFL, they are actually the best.

Despite the Patriots averaging more points and yards the Giants have the better offense.

Rob Gronkowski is in a critical condition.
This is pretty much everything that espn has been saying for the last two weeks. Micheal Smith said pretty much straight up he'd take Eli over Brady this weekend. Watch Brady suck again this sunday after I post this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
This is pretty much everything that espn has been saying for the last two weeks. Micheal Smith said pretty much straight up he'd take Eli over Brady this weekend. Watch Brady suck again this sunday after I post this.
Yeah it was reading Espn.com that put me over the edge a while ago.

Some direct quotes from Espn.com "experts"

Dan Graziano-"Frankly, the Giants' past two opponents were tougher than this one."

Ian O'Connor-"there is no discernible talent difference between Brady and Manning."

David Fleming-"Both quarterbacks will take a beating in this game, but while Eli Manning plays bigger and better in these situations, Tom Brady tends to shrink."

Pat Yasinskas-"Most people think Bill Belichick is the best coach in the world. I think Tom Coughlin is at least as good"

Mike Ditka-"The Giants are better on both sides of the ball"

Doug Kretz-"The Giants can be one of the most dominating run teams in the league, and with the issues New England's defense has had with tackling, I'd look for Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs to be difference- makers"

Just to recap.

Tom Brady is arguably the GOAT. Eli is arguably top 5 in the NFL at the minute yet there is no difference?

Tom Coughlin was on the verge of getting fired had the Giants not made the playoffs yet he is up there with one of the top 4 or 5 coaches of all time?

The Giants have a dominating run game that will beat the Pats but just decided not to use it in the regular season and have the 32nd ranked running game?

Once again, the Pats scored more points. Had more yards. More passing yards. More running yards. But the Giants are a better offense???

This is why I hate the build up to the Superbowl. If it was a normal week you could shrug it off and say just wait to the game. But this is all I've been seeing for the past ten ************* days!!!

Last edited by AntoinCD : 02-03-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm not going to get too riled up. It's been going on for the past two weeks. It was pretty clear right from the get-go that the Giants being the trendy pick would eventually evolve into this team being disrespected. It's a what have you done for me lately kind of league and the media picked up on that. The stuff about the Giants having a better offense is particularly incendiary to me, but we've discussed that already.

....but in the end, this stuff stops mattering the second those two teams take the field. I certainly don't mind that we're not getting our due and it might help motivate the team a bit....but at the risk of stating the obvious, it will come down to who plays the best on Sunday night. Despite the fact we've been the recipient of it in recent years, this team has never been about media hype.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Yeah I cant wait for the game to actually start.

I think for the Pats to have the best chance BB will put in a real bend but don't break defense. Play cover 2 in the base with Chung and Ihedigbo and then move McCourty to safety when they have 3 or more WRs and bring in Moore. Play zone concepts in the 3 "safety" approach and have either Chung or Ihedigbo try to disrupt Cruz at the line. Eli Manning is a guy who has historically always thrown a lot of INTs. Make him throw consistently to small windows and hope for the mistake.

Trust the defensive line of Gerard Warren/Shaun Ellis/Brandon Deaderick at LE, Kyle Love, Vince Wilfork at DT and Mark Anderson at RE, along with Spikes and Mayo predominantly at LB to at the very least contain the run. The last thing they should be doing is crowding the box against a team who aren't a great running team. Bradshaw and Jacobs have talent but their offensive line just isn't good enough IMO.

On offense it's all about holding up up front and execution between Brady and the receivers.