Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
To me, Colston and Garçon (cool, my phone auto-corrected the accent) seem like guys who would only excel in their systems. Once they go on another team, they will be mediocre. That is what I fear anyways...

But I have faith in this front office to bring in guys that fit with the team.
Colston does. What I mean is certain WR thrive because of the peices around them. Colston is a good WR. He's tall, runs good routes, and is sure handed. But ask yourself how many much does he really get open? Alot of his catches come from him and Brees having great chemistry and Brees 'throwing him open'. Plus the other peices in that offense allow for him not to be the focal part of the defense. If he goes somewhere else as a #1 WR and is asked to beat press coverage all day, he will struggle IMO. I dont think he leaves because playing in a system with Henderson, Sproles, Moore, and Graham, he will always have favorable match-ups on the outside.

Garcon is a guy I really like. He's a faster Victor Cruz. Same build, same quickness. Ness mentions how Cruz always gets open but that's really the offense Gilbride runs. Cruz runs alot of option routes, meaning his route changes depending on what the defense does and him and Eli have to see the same thing and be on the same page. That has alot a do why he always gets those little underneath throws because option routes allow you the flexibility to counter whatever the defense is doing. But it requires the QB and WR to be totally in sync. That's why Eli also throws his fair share of ints too.....there is a down side to it as well.

Garcon can play anywhere. Line him up all over and he can run any route. I like his build and his ability to get off man coverage. I think he could do great things here. I also like unheralded guys like Caldwell and Schillens. I think both have ability, just may need a change a scenery. Its same thing I said about Carlos Rogers last year and he came here and had a excellent year. And I really like Schillens because at worst, he's 4th/5th WR who easily upgrades the likes of Swain and Matthews. 6'4, 225 lbs and 4.3 speed is a nice luxury to have at your disposal. He'll be fairly cheap when free agency rolls around.

The only negative with Schillens is he has been battling an array of injuries for the last two years and has missed his fair share of games. But that's why you dont bring him in as the savior, you bring him in as depth and see what happens.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-01-2012 at 09:33 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Colts could offer Garcon a nice deal though. If they take Andrew Luck they probably don't want to take away both Wayne and Garcon away from a young quarterback.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR wise, im still hoping for DeSean Jackson and yeah yeah, probably wont happen but thats who im hoping for.

I think that we'll keep five WR's for 2012 but I wouldnt be surprised if it was six instead. Crabtree, FA WR, Williams, Ginn and a draft pick are the five im going to guess that we'll have on the roster. Dont see us re-signing Morgan unless he's very cheap. Looking at the needs we have, offensively, WR is number one to me with RG being second but im hoping that we'll re-sign Snyder and yeah, I would love Nicks from NO but as long as its not Rachal, I'll be a happy camper. As for our younger guys, unless Kilgore or someone else is ready to start at RG, I see us re-signing Snyder or Rachal. I'm just hoping that its Snyder.

We mainly have to re-sign our own FA's first. Smith, Goldson and Rogers are the top three. I dont see Smith leaving nor do I see us going after any other QB unless its a veteran but even then, Smith will be in his eight season so basically, we already have our veteran and starter in one. Goldson will be franchised if we cant re-sign him so im not worried about him either. Rogers is 50/50 depending on how much money he wants. If its too much, I go after a young good CB in FA and then draft another as well. Basically, the same as with WR.

After them, then its on to Brooks and Grant who im hoping we try hard to keep. If keeping the majority or all of our core intact means that we wont go after any FA at WR and/or CB, I'll be okay with that even though that would put more pressure on having a damn good draft.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im saying it now, Grant is as good as gone. He will never be a starter here with Bow and Willis in front of him. He's good enough to be a starter in this league and someone will pounce on him. ALOT of fanbases are clamoring for him. Cowboys, Saints, Giants, Eagles, 'Hawks and Skins fans all are hoping their front office makes a b-line for this guy. I see us looking at the draft to address depth at ILB. Remember, we still have to worrying about re-signing Bow in the near future. And if we are unable to do so, his heir apparent needs to be on the roster, being groomed under him. I expect a ILB to be drafted in the first 4 rounds.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-01-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The Colts could offer Garcon a nice deal though. If they take Andrew Luck they probably don't want to take away both Wayne and Garcon away from a young quarterback.
Very true. Colts could franchise him as well. But with a new GM, new coaching staff and new schemes on both sides of the ball, I see them moving foward and will use the draft to find Luck a couple of targets to throw to. The new GM has no ties to these players so it wouldn't surprise me to see him let alot of players walk.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Im saying it now, Grant is as good as gone. He will never be a starter here with Bow and Willis in front of him. He's good enough to be a starter in this league and someone will pounce on him. ALOT of fanbases are clamoring for him. Cowboys, Saints, Giants, Eagles, 'Hawks and Skins fans all are hoping their front office makes a b-line for this guy. I see us looking at the draft to address depth at ILB. Remember, we still have to worrying about re-signing Bow in the near future. And if we are unable to do so, his heir apparent needs to be on the roster, being groomed under him. I expect a ILB to be drafted in the first 4 rounds.
I dont think that Grant would go to a 4-3 team again because it didnt work out for him in STL. He could go to a 3-4 team to start at ILB but I would like to SF make a competitive offer to keep him as the backup because if either Willis or Bowman gets injured, Grant can step right in and its not that much of a downgrade if at all.

Even if it means sacrificing a top tier free agent, I would be okay with re-signing Smith, Ginn, Snyder, Brooks, Grant and Goldson. I dont see Rogers coming back.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I dont think that Grant would go to a 4-3 team again because it didnt work out for him in STL. He could go to a 3-4 team to start at ILB but I would like to SF make a competitive offer to keep him as the backup because if either Willis or Bowman gets injured, Grant can step right in and its not that much of a downgrade if at all.

Even if it means sacrificing a top tier free agent, I would be okay with re-signing Smith, Ginn, Snyder, Brooks, Grant and Goldson. I dont see Rogers coming back.
Even if we did shell out starter money for Grant to stay(which wont happen), your banking on Grant being content on being a back-up and making his mark on STs. ANY competitive athlete wants to see the field and make a mark. I just think that's a pipe dream what your asking. There is another Larry Grant to be found free agency. What Im saying is there is another lowly free-agent out there that fits the scheme and is looking for a opportunity. Baalke just has to find him and sign him, while we groom a ILB he hopefully drafts. That makes much more sense then dumping more money into arguably the strongest position on the entire roster. Plus, how would it look if the back-up to a All-Pro makes more money than the All-Pro(Bowman)? Nothing good can come from that sceniro. I'm just praying Bowman doesn't start next TC with a holdout, demanding a new deal. That's usually how these things end up...

And Grant would be fine in a 4-3 as long as you don't stick him on the outside. MLB suits his skill-set fine. Spags had him OLB and it didnt really fit what he does best which is come downhill and attack. I think he'll do very well inside 4-3, as long as he is the man in the middle.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Garcon is a guy I really like. He's a faster Victor Cruz. Same build, same quickness. Ness mentions how Cruz always gets open but that's really the offense Gilbride runs. Cruz runs alot of option routes, meaning his route changes depending on what the defense does and him and Eli have to see the same thing and be on the same page. That has alot a do why he always gets those little underneath throws because option routes allow you the flexibility to counter whatever the defense is doing. But it requires the QB and WR to be totally in sync. That's why Eli also throws his fair share of ints too.....there is a down side to it as well.
That's the most informed post from a non giants fan I have seen in a while. Usually those are few and far between. Last one similar was on the scout.com Lions MB. That's how few they are that when someone does post it you tend to remember the where.

But we run the Gilbride run and shoot principles in our passing game. That means a lot of choice AND option routes. The theory is any coverage or defense can be beaten if the QB and WR on the same page. However, if you have stupid WRs..:: cough:: Manningham and Shockey:: Cough:: You get the ball going left and the Wr going right, and the defender easily picking it off. When it clicks, you get great stuff!

That's why we really do run a BOOM or BUST system. Not my favorite, but you tend to get your TDs but also INTs if your wrs mess up.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I was mulling over free agent CBs and there are few guys I think make sense. From all reports, it looks as though Spencer wont be back, even though his 3.2 million salary next year is pretty cheap, considering his a quailty CB and is actually younger than Rogers. So that means I think we'll be in the market for two CBs....a guy who could potentially challenge for a starting position, and a depth guy, probably younger who could develop into something.

I have 2 guys in my top tier. Guys who I think have already displayed Pro Bowl potential. I've mentioned them before. They are Brandon Carr and Terrell Thomas.

Then I have a guy like Jason Allen. I lump him in with the top tier guys because of his ability to play FS also. He's like a H-Back for the secondary. You can line him up at a bunch of places and he'll do a good job. Even though he hasn't really flashed Pro Bowl ability, his versatility puts him in the top tier.

Last, I have the leftovers. Guys who the average fan might frown upon but are solid players who might do well with a change of scenery like Rogers. They are cheaper alternatives but players I think could do well in the scheme and flourish with our coaching. They are Eric Wright, Corey Graham, Aaron Ross, Justin King, and Zach Bowman.

Now of course, Im not saying I don't want Rogers back. At the right price, I would love him back. But what the market puts him at as a Pro Bowl CB and his age just doesn't add up to a situation I think the front office can manage. And I'm sure alot ppl will ask about Grimes. Never been a big Grimes fan. I think he's overated and isnt the press CB people make him out to be. I like Tracey Porter's coverage ability but he's virtually invisible in run support and not very physical, no thanks to him as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
That's the most informed post from a non giants fan I have seen in a while. Usually those are few and far between. Last one similar was on the scout.com Lions MB. That's how few they are that when someone does post it you tend to remember the where.

But we run the Gilbride run and shoot principles in our passing game. That means a lot of choice AND option routes. The theory is any coverage or defense can be beaten if the QB and WR on the same page. However, if you have stupid WRs..:: cough:: Manningham and Shockey:: Cough:: You get the ball going left and the Wr going right, and the defender easily picking it off. When it clicks, you get great stuff!

That's why we really do run a BOOM or BUST system. Not my favorite, but you tend to get your TDs but also INTs if your wrs mess up.
Thanx, I try to stay informed around the league, especially with what the elite teams are doing.

And I figured as much with Manningham. It seems alot of passes target for him always ended up in the wrong hands. Some Niner fans would like to add him in free agency but I don't think he's the game-breaker most opposing fans believe him to be. What's a Giants fan take on what Manningham could offer this WCO?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanx, I try to stay informed around the league, especially with what the elite teams are doing.

And I figured as much with Manningham. It seems alot of passes target for him always ended up in the wrong hands. Some Niner fans would like to add him in free agency but I don't think he's the game-breaker most opposing fans believe him to be. What's a Giants fan take on what Manningham could offer this WCO?
See I think he is a game breaker, just not in our system because you never know where he will be. Just a perfect example, if the first game against you guys. Remember Eli's 2nd Int. People who don't know our system, OR read the box score, think Eli keeps throwing ints.

But if you watch where the ball is thrown, and where MM is.. it's like a mile apart. This happened with Shockey and Burress too. This was documented in 2007 during the Vikings game where Eli had 4 ints, and 3 were taken back. In Accorsi's book after the superbowl win, it was said that Shockey AND Burress ran the wrong route. However, no one not even the media talks about that.

I saw the Pro Bowl, and they touched on Rivers 20 ints, and said because his Wrs were out and OL issues, the very SAME issues we had when Eli had 25 league high in ints. But very few experts bring that up.

So you can def. tell who actually knows what they are talking about and who seem to just read the box score.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
See I think he is a game breaker, just not in our system because you never know where he will be. Just a perfect example, if the first game against you guys. Remember Eli's 2nd Int. People who don't know our system, OR read the box score, think Eli keeps throwing ints.

But if you watch where the ball is thrown, and where MM is.. it's like a mile apart. This happened with Shockey and Burress too. This was documented in 2007 during the Vikings game where Eli had 4 ints, and 3 were taken back. In Accorsi's book after the superbowl win, it was said that Shockey AND Burress ran the wrong route. However, no one not even the media talks about that.

I saw the Pro Bowl, and they touched on Rivers 20 ints, and said because his Wrs were out and OL issues, the very SAME issues we had when Eli had 25 league high in ints. But very few experts bring that up.

So you can def. tell who actually knows what they are talking about and who seem to just read the box score.

Interesting. Didnt know that about Shockey and Burress. I just don't see Manningham as a #1 and I don't see him signing here to be a 3rd WR. I just never saw him as very explosive player, just a good WR with good quickness, in a good scheme, ala Steve Smith. But I'll defintely take you words into consideration.

So what's going on with Terrell Thomas? You guys going to franchise him or let him hit the market?

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-01-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I think if he isn't in a scheme where you need a PHd to run your routes he would be more than fine. He can than just let his natural ability take over and not worry about if he is running the right adjustment. Not a lot of people can run our system. Here you need to be as close to perfect as possible or else it's one big giant mess!

I think mario would be good in your system. I hope we can re-sign him though because we need to have 3 home run threats at all times. All he need is a very good WR and we will be very set. I hope we can get one during the draft if possible.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

I don't see any team surrendering possibly a second round pick to sign Grant(Restricted free agent) to an offer sheet. He's likely staying put one more year.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I don't see any team surrendering possibly a second round pick to sign Grant(Restricted free agent) to an offer sheet. He's likely staying put one more year.
I just saw this....MAJOR break for us

Quote:
Grant has been in the NFL for four years, but only three of them were "accrued" because he was on the Rams' 53-man roster for fewer than six games as a rookie in 2008.
Thought for sure he was a UFA, with new CBA saying you only needed 4 years. That's great for our depth and special teams. And Dan is happy....as we all should be.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was mulling over free agent CBs and there are few guys I think make sense. From all reports, it looks as though Spencer wont be back, even though his 3.2 million salary next year is pretty cheap, considering his a quailty CB and is actually younger than Rogers. So that means I think we'll be in the market for two CBs....a guy who could potentially challenge for a starting position, and a depth guy, probably younger who could develop into something.

I have 2 guys in my top tier. Guys who I think have already displayed Pro Bowl potential. I've mentioned them before. They are Brandon Carr and Terrell Thomas.

Then I have a guy like Jason Allen. I lump him in with the top tier guys because of his ability to play FS also. He's like a H-Back for the secondary. You can line him up at a bunch of places and he'll do a good job. Even though he hasn't really flashed Pro Bowl ability, his versatility puts him in the top tier.

Last, I have the leftovers. Guys who the average fan might frown upon but are solid players who might do well with a change of scenery like Rogers. They are cheaper alternatives but players I think could do well in the scheme and flourish with our coaching. They are Eric Wright, Corey Graham, Aaron Ross, Justin King, and Zach Bowman.

Now of course, Im not saying I don't want Rogers back. At the right price, I would love him back. But what the market puts him at as a Pro Bowl CB and his age just doesn't add up to a situation I think the front office can manage. And I'm sure alot ppl will ask about Grimes. Never been a big Grimes fan. I think he's overated and isnt the press CB people make him out to be. I like Tracey Porter's coverage ability but he's virtually invisible in run support and not very physical, no thanks to him as well.
We could always draft a rookie too. I'd rather have Spencer back, but he'll be making too much as our 5th corner.

Whenever I watch Jason Allen he's always getting picked on. Must be a reason for that.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think if he isn't in a scheme where you need a PHd to run your routes he would be more than fine. He can than just let his natural ability take over and not worry about if he is running the right adjustment. Not a lot of people can run our system. Here you need to be as close to perfect as possible or else it's one big giant mess!

I think mario would be good in your system. I hope we can re-sign him though because we need to have 3 home run threats at all times. All he need is a very good WR and we will be very set. I hope we can get one during the draft if possible.
Yea, I remember one of the knocks on him on draft day was the rumored 6 he scored on the Wonderlic. That, the slow 40 he ran and the numerous drug tests he failed at Michigan.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
I just saw this....MAJOR break for us

Thought for sure he was a UFA, with new CBA saying you only needed 4 years. That's great for our depth and special teams. And Dan is happy....as we all should be.
Nice. Hopefully, Grant will take a long term deal for a good rate since he wont hit free agency. :)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
We could always draft a rookie too. I'd rather have Spencer back, but he'll be making too much as our 5th corner.

Whenever I watch Jason Allen he's always getting picked on. Must be a reason for that.
Allen is one of the reason Houston's D improved so much, so quickly. He was a quality nickel CB. I mainly want him to cover TEs because he's big enough(6'2) and athletic enough to do so.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Allen is one of the reason Houston's D improved so much, so quickly. He was a quality nickel CB. I mainly want him to cover TEs because he's big enough(6'2) and athletic enough to do so.
I'm going to give Joseph more credit than Allen for improving Houston's secondary. He was my #1 CB target last year (even over Nnamdi) in FA but I was happy when we finally got Rogers on the cheap. You're correct about Allen's skills and role as a nickel CB but due to that, he is a different type of CB than Rogers, and letting Rogers walk and signing Allen wouldn't make the secondary better IMO. Having them both (with their abilities to cover different types of WRs) would be ideal. Allen is going to be better inside over a TE or getting physical in the slot, whereas Rogers can keep up with faster WR's on the edge. Plus, with Culliver's skill set, he demonstrated he can match up with big, physical WR's (Megatron) and showed promise on the outside man on man as a cover guy (footwork and film studying to understand opponents' tendencies still need work). If he continues to improve, they may not need Allen at all.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I'm going to give Joseph more credit than Allen for improving Houston's secondary. He was my #1 CB target last year (even over Nnamdi) in FA but I was happy when we finally got Rogers on the cheap. You're correct about Allen's skills and role as a nickel CB but due to that, he is a different type of CB than Rogers, and letting Rogers walk and signing Allen wouldn't make the secondary better IMO. Having them both (with their abilities to cover different types of WRs) would be ideal. Allen is going to be better inside over a TE or getting physical in the slot, whereas Rogers can keep up with faster WR's on the edge. Plus, with Culliver's skill set, he demonstrated he can match up with big, physical WR's (Megatron) and showed promise on the outside man on man as a cover guy (footwork and film studying to understand opponents' tendencies still need work). If he continues to improve, they may not need Allen at all.
I didnt say he was the sole reason, I said he was one of the reason. Bringing in Allen allows you to let Rogers leave because Allen matches up inside. Its Rogers who plays over the slot when we go nickel, not Cully, not Brown. I like leaving those guys on the outside where they seem comfortable. So that means if you let Rogers walk, you have to bring a guy who's comfortable over the slot. That's Allen. You can bring in Allen without him having to start necessarily. You can keep Cully and Brown on the outside as starters in the base defense. But like I mentioned, I like Allen as that hybrid safety/CB in the nickel, not necessarily as the nickelback in the traditionally sense. Remember Brock inital won the nickelback role to start the season. If it wasn't for the broken bone in his hand that caused him to miss 4 games, he might have remained in that role throughout the season. I still like him as a nickelback. I recall one of the beat writers saying they could see why Fangio went with Brock over the slot because he was the most physical of all the CBs. He's another reason why I feel we can afford to let Rogers go. You let Allen sub for Whitner in certain packages and we can match-up when teams go mutiple WRs, including the TE. Guys like Graham, Finely, and Witten, who create mismatches because their too skilled for LBs and safties, too big for the average CB. Inserting Allen in place of Whitner is esentially like having a safety with CBs skills in case you need to press in nickel situations, without getting having a big mismatch with the TE. You put Allen, over the TE, Cully and Brown on the outside, Brock over the slot and have Goldson in Cover 1. Its a new wrinkle you can use against teams with those elite TEs, which allows Bowman and Willis to man more favorable match-ups against RBs and FBs in the flats and short zone.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didnt say he was the sole reason, I said he was one of the reason. Bringing in Allen allows you to let Rogers because Allen matches up inside. Its Rogers who plays over the slot when we go nickel, not Cully, not Brown. I like leaving those guys on the outside where they seem comfortable. So that means if you let Rogers walk, you have to bring a guy who's comfortable over the slot. That's Allen. You can bring in Allen without him having to start necessarily. You can keep Cully and Brown on the outside as starters in the base defense. But like mention, I like Allen as that hybrid safety/CB in the nickel. You sub him for Whitner and we can match-up when teams go mutiple WR and leave in the TEs who are mis-matches like Graham and Witten. So esentially, its like having a safety with CBs skills in case you need to press. You put Allen, over the TE, Cully and Brown on the outside, Brock over the slot and have Goldson in Cover 1. Its a new wrinkle you can use against teams with those elite TEs, which allows Bowman and Willis to man more favorable match-ups against RBs and FBs in the flats and short zone.
All of this is true, but once again, a tremendously valuable and skilled player comes off the field against these teams. One scenario was Bowman,and now Whitner. If I'm not mistaken, it was written that Whitner is very valuable in regards to communication. That he was ideal for the green dot.

These things can be much more important than how well an "elite TE" is covered.

I'm all about improving the defense as a whole, I'm just against considering only one current trend (TEs) as a reason. Because if Allen is stuck in the slot against a speedy WR (Wes Welker) how is it an advantage? And if we add a tremendous slot CB, how does he match against the split TE?

In both cases, the defense loses. So adding players that are good in all phases is most important.

I wouldn't necessarily want to take Whitner off the filed in spread situations, because he's so well-rounded. But Allen is definitely someone to look at if Rodgers isn't re-signed.

Last edited by phlysac : 02-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Garcon can play anywhere. Line him up all over and he can run any route. I like his build and his ability to get off man coverage. I think he could do great things here. I also like unheralded guys like Caldwell and Schillens. I think both have ability, just may need a change a scenery. Its same thing I said about Carlos Rogers last year and he came here and had a excellent year. And I really like Schillens because at worst, he's 4th/5th WR who easily upgrades the likes of Swain and Matthews. 6'4, 225 lbs and 4.3 speed is a nice luxury to have at your disposal. He'll be fairly cheap when free agency rolls around.

The only negative with Schillens is he has been battling an array of injuries for the last two years and has missed his fair share of games. But that's why you dont bring him in as the savior, you bring him in as depth and see what happens.

I would also like to bring in Garcon. He produced this year and i think proved he isn't totally a product of the system (but of course any WR will see their production go up with Peyton).

Quote:
Is Grant an UFA or RFA? I've heard conflicting reports. If he's a RFA i would put a mid-round tender and try to gain an extra draft pick. Say a 4th rounder, i think a ILB starved team would spend a 4th rounder on a starting capable player like Grant. Meanwhile we don't need him as much as other teams and can use that pick to solve our own needs. I also think we have a bit of a "plug and play" system. Last offseason Grant was a nobody. I have complete confidence in our coaches to develop our players and any FA we may pick up.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 02-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my rough offseason plan for both FA and the Draft...let me know what you think...it'll change many times from now to May im sure. I'm just now getting into the draft so if my projections are a bit off let me know!

FA

-Garcon (multi-year deal)
-Chaz Schilens (1 year deal, depth...doubt he makes it out of camp healthy but we give it a shot)
-DeSean Jackson (1 year deal, tries to repair his image and earns a spot on returns)
-Adam Carriker (multi-year deal..DE depth...with Tomsula i think he could flourish)
-Jason Allen (multi-year deal..all around DB depth, replaces Reggie Smith)

Total analysis: I think this brings us a solid haul of players without breaking the bank, much like Baalke did last August. An obvious emphasis on improving the WR corps here.

If DeSean Jackson doesn't sign here, replace that with re-signing Ginn down below. Either/or scenario IMO but i want to take a chance on Jackson's game-breaking ability.

Re-sign

-Goldson
-Rogers
-Alex Smith
-Adam Snyder (competes with Kilgore for the RG spot)
-Blake Costanzo
-Josh Morgan
-Tramaine Brock (ERFA)
-Will Tuakufu (ERFA)
-CJ Spillman (ERFA)
-Larry Grant (RFA tender...dangle him for a 4th)

Analysis: Spend on 3 contracts for Rogers, Goldson, and Alex...the rest should be relatively inexpensive.

Let go

-Brooks (can't keep everyone)
-Ginn (keep Jackson to handle returns and have a WR role)
-Reggie Smith
-Tavares Gooden
-Justin Peele
-Brett Swain
-Moran Norris
-Madieu Williams
-Chilo Rachal

Cut

-Shawntae Spencer

Draft

Round 1- Chase Thomas, 3-4 OLB
Round 2- Joe Adams, WR (speed guy)
Round 3- Ladarius Green, TE (Red zone threat)
Round 4- Brandon Brooks, OG
Rest of draft: depth- could target OL, DL, OLB, DB, WR, or RB

What do you guys think?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
All of this is true, but once again, a tremendously valuable and skilled player comes off the field against these teams. One scenario was Bowman,and now Whitner. If I'm not mistaken, it was written that Whitner is very valuable in regards to communication. That he was ideal for the green dot.

These things can be much more important than how well an "elite TE" is covered.

I'm all about improving the defense as a whole, I'm just against considering only one current trend (TEs) as a reason. Because if Allen is stuck in the slot against a speedy WR (Wes Welker) how is it an advantage? And if we add a tremendous slot CB, how does he match against the split TE?

In both cases, the defense loses. So adding players that are good in all phases is most important.

I wouldn't necessarily want to take Whitner off the filed in spread situations, because he's so well-rounded. But Allen is definitely someone to look at if Rodgers isn't re-signed.
In my intial post of the subject, I called Allen the H-Back of the secondary, so how am I considering one option as the sole reason for his signing? Whether he subsitute for Whitner in one package, Bowman in another, its the flexibilty of having the personel to do it. Not one is under-scoring the importancr of Whitner to the defense. I said on many occassion, he was probably the biggest addition to the team, not All-Done, not Rogers. Because he allowed so many others(Rogers, Goldson) to prosper by doing his job to the utmost. But I'm not blind either. I see him....and the rest of the secondary struggling with covering TEs. So why not add a guy who can help in that one area, along with bring his other skills to the fold as well?