Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

I think Aldon Smith deserved more DROY votes. Miller only had 19 more solo tackles and played 400 snaps more than Smith.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still totally shocked that the MVP voting was 48-2.

Seriously... Not only did Aaron Rodgers win in a runaway, Brees didn't get more than 2 votes, and Tom Brady didn't get a single vote?

That's madness.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

Seriously... Not only did Aaron Rodgers win in a runaway, Brees didn't get more than 2 votes, and Tom Brady didn't get a single vote?

That's madness.

Do you think Tom Brady should have won? If not, why would he get a single vote :P

Bree ran away with OPOTY and Rodgers ran away from MVP

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
You won our sig bet.
Man of his word, gotta respect it.

I don't get the whole vote count thing, as if it's suppose to be a certain way. Personally, I think it was about right. Brees was recognized as an MVP candidate along with his OPOTY award, Rodgers won by a landslide, and Brady still has a chance at Super Bowl MVP. Now only if Manning could somehow get some sort of notice for the impact on the season he had. Oh, that's right, the Colts are picking first.

I see no problems with the MVP award, or the vote count.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Man of his word, gotta respect it.

I don't get the whole vote count thing, as if it's suppose to be a certain way. Personally, I think it was about right. Brees was recognized as an MVP candidate along with his OPOTY award, Rodgers won by a landslide, and Brady still has a chance at Super Bowl MVP. Now only if Manning could somehow get some sort of notice for the impact on the season he had. Oh, that's right, the Colts are picking first.

I see no problems with the MVP award, or the vote count.
I thought the voters got it right. I am glad AR won, as he should have. I know the Saints MB disagreed, but I thought the voters got that category correct.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Justin Smith is a completely unsexy pick and that hurt him. The AP voters are morons if you couldn't tell by the college football voting they do. They probably scanned his stats and went "meh."

Plus Smith was a bit overshadowed by bigger names on the same team, with Willis and Bowman also getting votes and Aldon Smith getting some for DRotY.

And Allen's team is picking 3rd in the draft. I'm surprised he came as close as he even did.
After seeing Justin Smith in very few games (ala Harbaugh bowl and Saints game) if he was like that all year I wouldve voted him DPOTY too. Just nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I thought the voters got it right. I am glad AR won, as he should have. I know the Saints MB disagreed, but I thought the voters got that category correct.
How can you be the MVP but not the best player on offense? That doesnt make sense. I dont want to go into Brees vs Rodgers anymore, because its pointless and no one will change their mind, but how can you be the Most Valuable Player but not the the best player at your position/
Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
After seeing Justin Smith in very few games (ala Harbaugh bowl and Saints game) if he was like that all year I wouldve voted him DPOTY too. Just nasty.

How can you be the MVP but not the best player on offense? That doesnt make sense. I dont want to go into Brees vs Rodgers anymore, because its pointless and no one will change their mind, but how can you be the Most Valuable Player but not the the best player at your position/
I saw that. I think instead of going the co MVP route, I got the sense they gave that MVP, which I think was right to AR, but since Brees broke the record, they gave him the OFPOTY award. I felt like they sort of made both fan bases content, even though a lot of fans from the Saints fan base feel Brees should have gotten the MVP.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Do people really not understand that they're trying to give two different QB's a congratulations for their accomplishments?
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offensive Player of the Year is more of a stats based award without factoring team record (see Chris Johnson in 2009 and Drew Brees in 2008 on 8-8 teams)

MVP awards has always heavily factored team success with overall individual performance. (OJ Simpson in 1973 was last non-playoff MVP)
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Do you think Tom Brady should have won? If not, why would he get a single vote :P

Bree ran away with OPOTY and Rodgers ran away from MVP
I could make a case for all 3. I figured a few journalist would have as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think you're ever going to get it. It's not pointless, it's just that Bress doesn't have a stronger case as the votes show and since he's your guy you're bitter.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think you're ever going to get it. It's not pointless, it's just that Bress doesn't have a stronger case as the votes show and since he's your guy you're bitter.
I will say that as a Saint's fan, I am not bitter that AR won the MVP, but I am surprised that it was as lopsided of a vote as it was. Matt Flynn quite possibly proved that Brees is more valuable to his team than Rodgers is to his, but that's not how the writers look at it. That being the case, I'm over it.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well it's certainly possible. I remember a case where Marshall Faulk was voted Offensive Player of the Year in 1999, but Kurt Warner was the MVP. I think Warner was more valuable to that Rams team than Faulk was. It's not night and day, but quarterback always trumps the runningback in my mind.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

That's madness.
It's not madness, that's just a stupid way of thinking. Aaron Rodgers should have been MVP, and while Brees had a great year too, he was clearly the right choice. Each voter only has one vote. They have to vote for the one player who they think should win it. If each voter had say 10 votes, they'd probably split it up so Rodgers got 7 and Brees got 3 or something, but that's not how it works. Really Brees shouldn't have got a single vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I think Aldon Smith deserved more DROY votes. Miller only had 19 more solo tackles and played 400 snaps more than Smith.
Aldon Smith also played 400 fewer snaps. Therefore he was not a full time player, but more of a situational pass rusher. Part time players don't deserve awards.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Do people really not understand that they're trying to give two different QB's a congratulations for their accomplishments?
If your the MVP of the league, shouldnt you be the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Offensive Player of the Year is more of a stats based award without factoring team record (see Chris Johnson in 2009 and Drew Brees in 2008 on 8-8 teams)

MVP awards has always heavily factored team success with overall individual performance. (OJ Simpson in 1973 was last non-playoff MVP)
Aaron Rodgers won 1 more game then Brees...

Quote:
And since Rodgers your guy your not going to give a viable answer to my question. Inseatd of actually answering the question, you go the route of placing it on me.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I will say that as a Saint's fan, I am not bitter that AR won the MVP, but I am surprised that it was as lopsided of a vote as it was. Matt Flynn quite possibly proved that Brees is more valuable to his team than Rodgers is to his, but that's not how the writers look at it. That being the case, I'm over it.
Im not upset with Rodgers either, he had a amazing season. But a 48-2 vote and not even close?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
And since Rodgers your guy your not going to give a viable answer to my question. Inseatd of actually answering the question, you go the route of placing it on me.
What exactly is your question? Why wasnt it closer? The answer is because obviously the writers didn't think it was. I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
What exactly is your question? Why wasnt it closer? The answer is because obviously the writers didn't think it was. I'm not sure what you're looking for.
This 10char. I truly believe if the Packers lost a game around games 8-10 then Brees wouldve been the biggest story of the year, except sharing it with the run at perfection.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Ghost of Juice
Rookie

Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it was an easy choice. Don't even look at any stats and just watch the throws Rodgers was making all year, he was absolutely incredible. I wasn't a huge fan of him before this year but he made so many plays that I couldn't believe I had to start liking him. He has a mediocre offensive line, no running game and a bad defense but still managed to get 15 regular season wins.

I watched every game Brady played this year and I watched a lot of Brees and Rodgers and Rodgers was clearly the most impressive,
Ghost of Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Juice View Post
I think it was an easy choice. Don't even look at any stats and just watch the throws Rodgers was making all year, he was absolutely incredible. I wasn't a huge fan of him before this year but he made so many plays that I couldn't believe I had to start liking him. He has a mediocre offensive line, no running game and a bad defense but still managed to get 15 regular season wins.

I watched every game Brady played this year and I watched a lot of Brees and Rodgers and Rodgers was clearly the most impressive,
The eye test is a long lost argument in the fantasy football era.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And he also led his team straight out of the playoffs because he discount double choked
this was hilarious

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If your the MVP of the league, shouldnt you be the best?
Yeah, and Aaron Rodgers was the best.

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers won 1 more game then Brees...
Aaron Rodgers led his team to the best record in the league, a bye, and home-field advantage. Brees got his team the 3 seed. Plus if you're going to be like that, Brees lost two more games than Rodgers

Quote:
Im not upset with Rodgers either, he had a amazing season. But a 48-2 vote and not even close?
Because how the voting system works, there's no reason for it to be close. You're looking at it the wrong way. If they voted 1-2-3, Brees would have ran away with every second place vote. But they only get one vote and Rodgers was better. It wasn't by a wide margin, but enough to know he deserved the vote. Brees had an amazing season, no one's trying to say he didn't, it's just unfortunate for him that it happened in the same year Aaron Rodgers had a better one.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Actually, now that I looked at it a bit more, what the hell is the case for Brees? That he threw for 800 more yards? Big whoop.