Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I hate the Giants. UGH. Lucky ass bastards. A crappy 9-7 team winning the SB with three road wins even though im not sure if NE was the home or road team. Either way, I watched only the second half. Game was boring. Of course, this is the first year in a LONG time that I didnt cheer for either team. Honestly, if it was possible, I would have loved to see a tie. LOL. :)
I have no problem with the Giants. They had a amazing run. What's this, their fourth Ring? As long as it wasnt the Steelers or the Cowboys winning, I was content. Didnt watch the game myself. Don't watch the big game unless the Niners are playing. Made an exception last year, as I really wanted the Steelers to lose so I tuned in. How did Brady look? Heard he had a crappy game. I'm just ready for the offseason to start and eager to see the changes being implemented to improve this roster.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya
I have no problem with the Giants. They had a amazing run. What's this, their fourth Ring? As long as it wasnt the Steelers or the Cowboys winning, I was content. Didnt watch the game myself. Don't watch the big game unless the Niners are playing. Made an exception last year, as I really wanted the Steelers to lose so I tuned in. How did Brady look? Heard he had a crappy game. I'm just ready for the offseason to start and eager to see the changes being implemented to improve this roster.
Yeah, I was cheering for the Packers last year too. I hate the Steelers. Cowboys too but I would have preferred them to win the NFC East instead of the Giants because unlike the Giants, i dont think that the Cowboys would have beaten the Packers (or us) on the road to get to the SB.

I only watched the second half. Brady had two TD's. The INT he threw that was picked off by Blackburn was under thrown and a good play by Blackburn. Gronkowski shouldnt have played as he just didnt have his speed or playmaking ability. Brady's receivers also dropped passes. Welker had a huge drop in the 4th that would have possibly sealed the win for the Patriots but it didnt happen. Add in the fact that the Patriots secondary is bad against Manning and the trio of receivers and well, easy to see why Manning won his second SB and second SB MVP.

Funny that Eli won two SB's in his eight year career and Peyton only won one SB in his 13 year career. LOL. And im looking forward to the Giants game next year. Dont remember if its in SF or NY but I dont care. I'm hoping that we add a playmaking WR and blow them out. :)
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Super Bowl was disappointing as far as entertainment value in my mind. Not that many big plays.

I would have wanted to see the 49ers play the Ravens again. That might have been a good game.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2nd biggest his was Goldson on Tarell Brown :(
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87
Here's my rough offseason plan for FA.

FA

-Garcon (multi-year deal)
-Chaz Schilens (1 year deal, depth...doubt he makes it out of camp healthy but we give it a shot)
-DeSean Jackson (1 year deal, tries to repair his image and earns a spot on returns)
-Adam Carriker (multi-year deal..DE depth...with Tomsula i think he could flourish)
-Jason Allen (multi-year deal..all around DB depth, replaces Reggie Smith)

Total analysis: I think this brings us a solid haul of players without breaking the bank, much like Baalke did last August. An obvious emphasis on improving the WR corps here.

If DeSean Jackson doesn't sign here, replace that with re-signing Ginn down below. Either/or scenario IMO but i want to take a chance on Jackson's game-breaking ability.

Re-sign

-Goldson
-Rogers
-Alex Smith
-Adam Snyder (competes with Kilgore for the RG spot)
-Blake Costanzo
-Josh Morgan
-Tramaine Brock (ERFA)
-Will Tuakufu (ERFA)
-CJ Spillman (ERFA)
-Larry Grant (RFA tender...dangle him for a 4th)

Analysis: Spend on 3 contracts for Rogers, Goldson, and Alex...the rest should be relatively inexpensive.

Let go

-Brooks (can't keep everyone)
-Ginn (keep Jackson to handle returns and have a WR role)
-Reggie Smith
-Tavares Gooden
-Justin Peele
-Brett Swain
-Moran Norris
-Madieu Williams
-Chilo Rachal

Cut

-Shawntae Spencer

What do you guys think?
Was looking for our scheduled opponents for 2012 because I wanted to know if we play the Giants in NY or SF and came across this post and wanted to reply to it.

No comment on the Draft whatsoever since I wait until after the Combine and FA before looking at players im hoping for. Deleted the draft part of the quote.

In regards to FA, I agree with the DeSean Jackson signing but I would take the chance on him and give him the multi year deal. He's the speed guy, deep threat that we need. Opposite Crabtree along with Davis, Walker and Williams plus Gore and Hunter and just like that, our offense would be a lot more dangerous.

No thanks to Schilens. I wouldnt sign a guy who's always hurt. Seriously, what's the point? Nothing but a waste of money and then what, release him during pre-season. Wouldnt even bother. Wouldnt mind Garcon as the backup signing after Jackson but I wouldnt sign him and Jackson because both would want to be starters along with Crabtree and bam, we would already have problems. Our offense just needs a speed receiver who's a playmaker and deep threat who'll spread out the defense and open things up for everyone else.

Agree with Carriker and Allen.

Re-signing wise, replace Rogers with Brooks as I believe that he's more valuable to our defense than Rogers is plus he's three years younger. Also, im hoping that Haralson loses his spot to Smith in 2012. Brooks and Smith would be a better starting combo because since both are excellent and good at rushing the passer respectively, you would never know which one is coming. I agree with the rest except the Grant tender. A 4th rounder??? Hell no. This guy is good and our defense didnt miss a beat when he replaced Willis. When you have a guy who can replace a Willis and you barely notice, you keep that guy. I would tender him at the 2nd round level and depending on the cost, possibly a 1st and 3rd. Thats right. If im going to lose this guy, someone is going to pay through the nose for him. But no lower than a second round tender. If no one makes him an offer, better for me because his value his lower than his tender which means that he would be easier to sign to a long term deal which I would do.

Add Gooden to that list as I think that he's a solid special teamer, cheap and there's obviously chemistry there with him and the others. Also absolutely positively add Ginn to the re-signing list. No way I let him leave and quite honestly, I have never ever been a fan of letting a starting receiver (Jackson in this case) return kicks/punts because it increases the chances of the player getting injured which if that happens, you get screwed in two, possibly three different positions (WR, PR and KR). I would re-sign Ginn before Morgan and if im going after DeSean Jackson (if he's not of course franchised) if he's 100% hitting UFA, no reason for me to keep Morgan. I let Morgan walk, re-sign Ginn and sign Jackson. Crabtree, Jackson and Williams would be the top three with Ginn 4th or 5th depending on what happens with the draft.

Agree with the rest of the players you let leave and I would also release Spencer. Granted, going into 2012 with Brown/Culliver as the starters wouldnt be ideal but im more confident in losing Rogers than I am Brooks. Replacing Rogers would either be another cheap veteran CB or I just go with Brown, Culliver and Allen as the top three. Brock 4th.

As for the Draft, all I will say is that it depends on what happens in FA. I'm hoping that we can re-sign the majority of our players and just get Jackson. Add in Carriker/Allen and I would be very happy going into the draft.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
2nd biggest his was Goldson on Tarell Brown :(
That allowed Brock to come in, who gave up the inside route TD to Manningham on 3rd and long. Yuck....

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think you guys should go after Wes Welker.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Think you guys should go after Wes Welker.
No thanks we've already filled our quota of WR's who can't catch :)

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we do go for DeSean Jackson (and I doubt it), his contract will probably be heavy on the incentives. Need something to make sure he keeps playing hard throughout the season.

There also is the problem of whether he'll buy into the team first blue collar mentality, or be a reliable blocker like Crabtree/Morgan.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the talk I've heard, the Colts are going to work hard to keep both Mathis and Garcon. I bet Garcon stays. Oh well.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Does anyone have the tender amounts? I know that there's four levels. Original round draft pick, second rounder, first rounder, first and third rounders.

From what my friend told me, the second round tender is $1.9m while the first round tender is at $2.7m. Dont know if that info is correct but if it is, I easily tender Grant at the first round level because for $800k more, its easily a smart decision and im hearing from my friend who's reading on the bleacher report that the Cowboys, Eagles and others are willing to give up a second rounder for Grant. Well, why not take the chance and see if they can get a first rounder for him.

Obviously, I dont see us getting a first rounder but if it was me, I easily tender him at the first round level without hesitation. Worse case scenario is that I keep him for a year at $2.7m and yeah, thats more than what Bowman is getting paid but at the same time, Bowman has two years left on his contract and will most likely get extended this off-season or next off-season and if he causes problems or whatever, I have Grant to replace him.

Also, we were healthy this year, we let Grant leave for cheap crap, I wouldnt be surprised if Willis or Bowman gets injured and we get stuck with some rookie or crapper replacing him for the year.

Running an NFL team is a business and you're supposed to do whats best for business and the team. Letting Grant leave for a crappy 7th round pick would be insane and quite honestly, stupid. His value is high and to a team that needs an ILB/MLB, that team may be desperate enough to give up at least a 2nd rounder but again, for the cost of $800k more, I would tender him at the first round level.

I hate it when you have a player who's a backup who has value and let him basically leave for free just so he's not paid more than the guy ahead of him. Well, I say too bad. For one year, Bowman can deal with it and if not, I extend Grant and then trade Bowman for the highest draft pick I can get and if Grant is worth a second to some teams, Bowman would be worth more.

People will say that im nuts but im sorry, you dont let a 27 year old walk for free or basically free when he has value and is worth something. At a minimum, he's worth a second round draft pick and if he's not tendered at the very least at that level, im sorry but Baalke/Harbaugh arent as smart as they appear to be.

And on a side note, I would easily give Brooks $5-8m a year because unlike Rogers, he's worth the money and has a bigger upside.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would rather keep Brooks over Rogers if it comes down to that. Brooks showed a lot of potential this year and could become a great OLB for us while Rogers really tailed-off hard the second half of the season and is pretty up there for a CB.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 02-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Goon61
Rookie

Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the eagles were willing to give up a 2nd rounder for Grant I think we should take it. It is possible to get solid LBs in the mid rounds (like Bowman) and with that extra pick we could get a pretty decent player in the 2nd and draft a LB in the 3rd. Maybe I just not as high on Grant as most people.
Goon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon61 View Post
If the eagles were willing to give up a 2nd rounder for Grant I think we should take it. It is possible to get solid LBs in the mid rounds (like Bowman) and with that extra pick we could get a pretty decent player in the 2nd and draft a LB in the 3rd. Maybe I just not as high on Grant as most people.
From my perspective, I would tender Grant at the first round level because for $800k more, it would be foolish and stupid not to. Grant played for Willis and seriously, the front seven didnt miss a beat. He stepped right in and if you didnt know Willis was out, you wouldnt have even noticed the difference. And yeah, its possible to get a good LB in the draft but I prefer to keep Grant because if Willis/Bowman gets injured, I would know that there's minimal (if any) drop off in who's replacing Willis/Bowman. Also, Grant is only 26 or 27 and I wouldnt just him walk away for peanuts. Second rounder would be good but when I look at the cost difference between the first and second round tenders, I would rather apply a first round tender and worse case scenario, I have a damn good backup/special teamer for another year and yeah, the $2.7m price tag would be high but I would rather pay him than let him leave for basically nothing.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Goon61
Rookie

Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see, but what if they were magical peanuts
Goon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
That allowed Brock to come in, who gave up the inside route TD to Manningham on 3rd and long. Yuck....
IMO, that was on the FS, which was Reggie Smith. You can tell Brock was expecting help over the top the way he let Manningham off the line. He used the trail technique and you could just tell by his body language, he was expecting the safety to be there. I think thats one of the reasons they told R. Smith he could seek a deal elsewhere when free agency begins. He's been slow with his reads and late to with his rotations ALL year. I watched that play at least 5 times after the game. I don't think it was on Brock. And still it was a heck of throw by Eli. Even out of position, Brock closed pretty quickly and I think if Eli would have put where MM catches it in stride, Brock would have had knocked it away. But Eli put it high and away and Manningham made a nice grab.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Does anyone have the tender amounts? I know that there's four levels. Original round draft pick, second rounder, first rounder, first and third rounders.

From what my friend told me, the second round tender is $1.9m while the first round tender is at $2.7m. Dont know if that info is correct but if it is, I easily tender Grant at the first round level because for $800k more, its easily a smart decision and im hearing from my friend who's reading on the bleacher report that the Cowboys, Eagles and others are willing to give up a second rounder for Grant. Well, why not take the chance and see if they can get a first rounder for him.

Obviously, I dont see us getting a first rounder but if it was me, I easily tender him at the first round level without hesitation. Worse case scenario is that I keep him for a year at $2.7m and yeah, thats more than what Bowman is getting paid but at the same time, Bowman has two years left on his contract and will most likely get extended this off-season or next off-season and if he causes problems or whatever, I have Grant to replace him.

Also, we were healthy this year, we let Grant leave for cheap crap, I wouldnt be surprised if Willis or Bowman gets injured and we get stuck with some rookie or crapper replacing him for the year.

Running an NFL team is a business and you're supposed to do whats best for business and the team. Letting Grant leave for a crappy 7th round pick would be insane and quite honestly, stupid. His value is high and to a team that needs an ILB/MLB, that team may be desperate enough to give up at least a 2nd rounder but again, for the cost of $800k more, I would tender him at the first round level.

I hate it when you have a player who's a backup who has value and let him basically leave for free just so he's not paid more than the guy ahead of him. Well, I say too bad. For one year, Bowman can deal with it and if not, I extend Grant and then trade Bowman for the highest draft pick I can get and if Grant is worth a second to some teams, Bowman would be worth more.

People will say that im nuts but im sorry, you dont let a 27 year old walk for free or basically free when he has value and is worth something. At a minimum, he's worth a second round draft pick and if he's not tendered at the very least at that level, im sorry but Baalke/Harbaugh arent as smart as they appear to be.

And on a side note, I would easily give Brooks $5-8m a year because unlike Rogers, he's worth the money and has a bigger upside.
A second round tender is more than suffice. I dont see us paying a back-up ILB. 2.7 mil. No team is going to give up a seconder rounder for Grant. Especially if your putting him in a scheme that differs from the one he thrived in. There's no guanrantee he'll be the same player if you put him back in the 4-3. There are some good ILB scheduled to hit the market. Lofton will be a hot commodity. So will London Fletcher, even though he's up there in age. There will be other choices available to teams. Giving up a draft pick and securing a long term deal is alot to give up for any player, yet alone a guy who was a back-up. That's why its almost unheard of for RFA to sign with other teams.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
A second round tender is more than suffice. I dont see us paying a back-up ILB. 2.7 mil. No team is going to give up a seconder rounder for Grant. Especially if your putting him in a scheme that differs from the one he thrived in. There's no guanrantee he'll be the same player if you put him back in the 4-3. There are some good ILB scheduled to hit the market. Lofton will be a hot commodity. So will London Fletcher, even though he's up there in age. There will be other choices available to teams. Giving up a draft pick and securing a long term deal is alot to give up for any player, yet alone a guy who was a back-up. That's why its almost unheard of for RFA to sign with other teams.
I understand your point but me keeping Grant and paying him $2.7m is a backup plan in case I wouldnt be able to re-sign Bowman or if he demands too much money. A team like DAL could be willing to give up their second rounder for Grant to pair him up inside with Lee. Another 3-4 base team who needs an ILB could take a chance on him if they're near the bottom of the second round. Either way, I'll be pissed if they dont at least tender him at the second round level.

Also, as much as I want DeSean Jackson, I wouldnt mind giving up our 1st and 3rd to PIT for Wallace since PIT has almost no cap room if Jackson doesnt hit UFA. A 1st and 3rd may be too high but if we a team signs Grant to an offer sheet and acquire that team's second rounder, giving up our 1st and 3rd wouldnt be such a bad idea because we need a playmaking deep threat and Wallace (or Jackson) would be ideal opposite Crabtree.

Back to Grant, I just dont want to see him leave for nothing. I would rather pay him the first or second round tender amount than to let him leave for nothing.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I understand your point but me keeping Grant and paying him $2.7m is a backup plan in case I wouldnt be able to re-sign Bowman or if he demands too much money. A team like DAL could be willing to give up their second rounder for Grant to pair him up inside with Lee. Another 3-4 base team who needs an ILB could take a chance on him if they're near the bottom of the second round. Either way, I'll be pissed if they dont at least tender him at the second round level.

Also, as much as I want DeSean Jackson, I wouldnt mind giving up our 1st and 3rd to PIT for Wallace since PIT has almost no cap room if Jackson doesnt hit UFA. A 1st and 3rd may be too high but if we a team signs Grant to an offer sheet and acquire that team's second rounder, giving up our 1st and 3rd wouldnt be such a bad idea because we need a playmaking deep threat and Wallace (or Jackson) would be ideal opposite Crabtree.

Back to Grant, I just dont want to see him leave for nothing. I would rather pay him the first or second round tender amount than to let him leave for nothing.
But we're already securing him for 1.9 or whatever the second round tender is. Grant was a 7th round draft choice. That second round tender will be more than he's probably made his entire career thus far. I'm sure he would take that as a sign if how much we value his contributions. No team, whether its Dallas or whoever is going to fork over a second rounder for Grant. It just doesn't happen and Im sure it wont in this case. Not at a position like ILB and not for a guy like Grant, who isnt really a unique player or brings elite intagibles to the table. Maybe I could see your point if it was Bowman. But let's face facts, Grant is not Bowman. Not even close. Grant played well but Bowman is on another level. Re-signing Bowman to a long term deal should he priority number one, not securing his back-up as a Plan B. We basically have a lease on Grant for one year. That will allow us to use the draft or UDFA to secure some talent at ILB to groom under our current group so when Grant walks next year, we'll have a younger, cheaper alternative already in place.

And I still dont understand you fascination with Mike Wallace. No team is giving up all that for a guy who basically runs three routes. Your asking Baalke to give up alot for a WR who only brings one element to the table......speed. Our WR personel needs a infusion of talent, not neccesarily just speed. That deal would really handcuff us from adding more talent on the outside, while also addressing other areas to the team. Not to mention weaking our draft. We have no comp picks this year, just the seven picks we are already slated for. That would be a HUGE mistake, IMO to bank on essentially one player to change the fortunes of a entire offense. And that one player isn't even top 5 at his position.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

No one ever gives up a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick for a UFA. It's way too much of a steal for the person giving up the player potentially. Especially if that player is a wide receiver of all positions. Teams don't build around wide receivers. I can only see this working for a quarterback, but if that quarterback garnered enough to warrant that kind of a trade, that player would have already signed an extension previously most likely because that player is good, and teams can build around quarterbacks. I'd rather take my chances selecting a younger, more promising receiver in the NFL Draft and then using my third rounder to get whatever else I want.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
But we're already securing him for 1.9 or whatever the second round tender is. Grant was a 7th round draft choice. That second round tender will be more than he's probably made his entire career thus far. I'm sure he would take that as a sign if how much we value his contributions. No team, whether its Dallas or whoever is going to fork over a second rounder for Grant. It just doesn't happen and Im sure it wont in this case. Not at a position like ILB and not for a guy like Grant, who isnt really a unique player or brings elite intagibles to the table. Maybe I could see your point if it was Bowman. But let's face facts, Grant is not Bowman. Not even close. Grant played well but Bowman is on another level. Re-signing Bowman to a long term deal should he priority number one, not securing his back-up as a Plan B. We basically have a lease on Grant for one year. That will allow us to use the draft or UDFA to secure some talent at ILB to groom under our current group so when Grant walks next year, we'll have a younger, cheaper alternative already in place.

And I still dont understand you fascination with Mike Wallace. No team is giving up all that for a guy who basically runs three routes. Your asking Baalke to give up alot for a WR who only brings one element to the table......speed. Our WR personel needs a infusion of talent, not neccesarily just speed. That deal would really handcuff us from adding more talent on the outside, while also addressing other areas to the team. Not to mention weaking our draft. We have no comp picks this year, just the seven picks we are already slated for. That would be a HUGE mistake, IMO to bank on essentially one player to change the fortunes of a entire offense. And that one player isn't even top 5 at his position.
I understand your point about Grant but I wouldnt tender him any lower than a second rounder because then, he'll be gone for basically free and what happens if Willis/Bowman get injured? We're screwed. And I thought that Grant played damn good while filling in for Willis. The front seven didnt miss a beat when Willis was out. And I do see a team giving up a second rounder for Grant if they have a need at ILB for their 3-4 defense. My friend would love Brooks and Grant for his Cowboys. Add in Ware/Lee and thats a pretty damn good starting LB core. I didnt read what my friend said. He said that at the second round level, several teams would be willing to acquire Grant including the Cowboys and Eagles who he said has two second round draft picks.

As for Wallace, he's exactly what our offense needs. A deep threat. Until we acquire an established deep threat that can open things up for everyone else, all we have is Davis and he cant do it all. Crabtree opposite Wallace with Davis and Williams in the slot would be good because even if Wallace just runs in a straight line down the field, he's going to take at least two defenders with him, the corner and a safety covering over him. Add in a possible double team on Davis and Smith will have players open. As for the compensation, if Grant gets tendered at the second round level and we dont match it, the team can afford to give up their first and third rounders for Wallace. I care more about quality than quantity. At 30, its highly unlikely that we have a speed receiver who's a legitimate deep threat fall to us and instead of seeing the next Woods or Balmer, I would rather trade that pick for Wallace. And with the extra second rounder, it evens out losing the third rounder and you still have seven draft picks. If 30 is used on a receiver, I would prefer to send it to PIT for Wallace instead of a rookie WR because unless he's a Calvin Johnson who somehow fell all the way to 30, I would be a lot more comfortable with Crabtree and Wallace instead of Crabtree and a rookie/Morgan/Williams/etc.

Of course, im hoping for DeSean Jackson but if he's franchised which im guessing that he will be, my next choice would be Wallace. And for a receiver who runs only three routes, I would say that averaging 57 receptions for 1068 yards with an 18.7 yards per catch average and 8 touchdowns is pretty damn good for a guy who only runs three routes.

Maybe its just me but we dont need three or four new receivers. We just need that starter opposite Crabtree who's a playmaking deep threat who can catch the ball outside the 20 and run it in for a TD as opposed to just getting inside the 20. Crabtree, Jackson/Wallace, Williams, draft pick and Ginn would be better than what our WR core was this past season plus we still have Davis and Walker.

Of course, I would only go after Wallace if DeSean gets franchised and while a first and third plus a long term deal is a lot, its not if we end up drafting a WR at 30 and acquire a second rounder for Grant. I dont care what anyone says but not making some kind of move after releasing Edwards screwed us over against the Giants period and I prefer not to see that happen again. And yeah, I prefer Wallace over V. Jackson, Bowe, Colston and Garcon and whoever else is there because those guys are either dome system receivers who play (or played) with an awesome offense or just arent what we need. Crabtree is our possession receiver. We need that deep threat opposite him period. Putting another version of Crabtree out there isnt scaring any defense and more importantly, not going to force the defense to double team the guy so they dont get beat for a long TD.

And for comparison sake, DeSean has averaged 57 receptions for 1021 yards with an 17.8 yards per catch average and 5,3 touchdowns a season. Jackson just turned 25 in December and is a diva while Wallace seems to be team player and will be 26 in August. Wallace is actually older but only by a few months. I just think that if DeSean is worth the risk, why not Wallace?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:

I understand your point about Grant but I wouldnt tender him any lower than a second rounder because then, he'll be gone for basically free and what happens if Willis/Bowman get injured? We're screwed. And I thought that Grant played damn good while filling in for Willis. The front seven didnt miss a beat when Willis was out. And I do see a team giving up a second rounder for Grant if they have a need at ILB for their 3-4 defense. My friend would love Brooks and Grant for his Cowboys. Add in Ware/Lee and thats a pretty damn good starting LB core. I didnt read what my friend said. He said that at the second round level, several teams would be willing to acquire Grant including the Cowboys and Eagles who he said has two second round draft picks.

As for Wallace, he's exactly what our offense needs. A deep threat. Until we acquire an established deep threat that can open things up for everyone else, all we have is Davis and he cant do it all. Crabtree opposite Wallace with Davis and Williams in the slot would be good because even if Wallace just runs in a straight line down the field, he's going to take at least two defenders with him, the corner and a safety covering over him. Add in a possible double team on Davis and Smith will have players open. As for the compensation, if Grant gets tendered at the second round level and we dont match it, the team can afford to give up their first and third rounders for Wallace. I care more about quality than quantity. At 30, its highly unlikely that we have a speed receiver who's a legitimate deep threat fall to us and instead of seeing the next Woods or Balmer, I would rather trade that pick for Wallace. And with the extra second rounder, it evens out losing the third rounder and you still have seven draft picks. If 30 is used on a receiver, I would prefer to send it to PIT for Wallace instead of a rookie WR because unless he's a Calvin Johnson who somehow fell all the way to 30, I would be a lot more comfortable with Crabtree and Wallace instead of Crabtree and a rookie/Morgan/Williams/etc.

Of course, im hoping for DeSean Jackson but if he's franchised which im guessing that he will be, my next choice would be Wallace. And for a receiver who runs only three routes, I would say that averaging 57 receptions for 1068 yards with an 18.7 yards per catch average and 8 touchdowns is pretty damn good for a guy who only runs three routes.

Maybe its just me but we dont need three or four new receivers. We just need that starter opposite Crabtree who's a playmaking deep threat who can catch the ball outside the 20 and run it in for a TD as opposed to just getting inside the 20. Crabtree, Jackson/Wallace, Williams, draft pick and Ginn would be better than what our WR core was this past season plus we still have Davis and Walker.

Of course, I would only go after Wallace if DeSean gets franchised and while a first and third plus a long term deal is a lot, its not if we end up drafting a WR at 30 and acquire a second rounder for Grant. I dont care what anyone says but not making some kind of move after releasing Edwards screwed us over against the Giants period and I prefer not to see that happen again. And yeah, I prefer Wallace over V. Jackson, Bowe, Colston and Garcon and whoever else is there because those guys are either dome system receivers who play (or played) with an awesome offense or just arent what we need. Crabtree is our possession receiver. We need that deep threat opposite him period. Putting another version of Crabtree out there isnt scaring any defense and more importantly, not going to force the defense to double team the guy so they dont get beat for a long TD.

And for comparison sake, DeSean has averaged 57 receptions for 1021 yards with an 17.8 yards per catch average and 5,3 touchdowns a season. Jackson just turned 25 in December and is a diva while Wallace seems to be team player and will be 26 in August. Wallace is actually older but only by a few months. I just think that if DeSean is worth the risk, why not Wallace?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bowe is the guy we should get imo. All around guy, and still very young.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:47 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Bowe is the guy we should get imo. All around guy, and still very young.
In my dream seceniro, Bowe is a Niner. But its highly unlikely Baalke spends that much on any free agent. But man, I would love it if he did. Could you imagine Bowe and VD in same offense? Then add a speedster like Joe Adams in the draft? Then add a big red-zone target like Criner or Streeter later on as well? That's one serious upgrade to the WR corps right there.

And hopefully the NFL grants my wish and we play on Thursday night against the Giants to kick off the 2012 season. Would love to get first crack at the G-Men as defending Super Bowl champs. I will defintely be there if it happens.