Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-26-2012, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I can't see that succeeding but hey who knows.

Wait, does that mean this is the last season?
No. The show is without question returning for a 9th season.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bah. I think Jim and Pam's wedding was the perfect place to end the series.
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno626 View Post
Bah. I think Jim and Pam's wedding was the perfect place to end the series.
Television NEVER works like that. The show was pulling in its largest ratings at the time. Shows never end on their highest note. Stopping it there just so it doesn't ever decline would have been dumb and robbed a lot of people of enjoying the show for many more years. People could have chosen to stop watching and it wouldn't have tainted the early episodes when it was at its best.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Ghost of Juice
Rookie

Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ghost of Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Television NEVER works like that. The show was pulling in its largest ratings at the time. Shows never end on their highest note. Stopping it there just so it doesn't ever decline would have been dumb and robbed a lot of people of enjoying the show for many more years. People could have chosen to stop watching and it wouldn't have tainted the early episodes when it was at its best.
Not entirely true, Vince Gilligan planned on ending breaking bad after the fifth season early in the series and ratings had nothing to do with it. He just wanted to tell the story and finish it, I wish every show did that.
Ghost of Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Juice View Post
Not entirely true, Vince Gilligan planned on ending breaking bad after the fifth season early in the series and ratings had nothing to do with it. He just wanted to tell the story and finish it, I wish every show did that.
OK, yes. Breaking Bad was the one exception I had in mind when writing this.

What I should have said was, NETWORK television doesn't work this way. Cable channels aren't entirely slaves to the ratings game.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwight tried to kiss me.

What?

And I didn't tell anyone, 'cause I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

That is not true. Redact it. Redact it!

Well, I'm not actually making a formal complaint. I just really think we should talk about it.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OK, yes. Breaking Bad was the one exception I had in mind when writing this.

What I should have said was, NETWORK television doesn't work this way. Cable channels aren't entirely slaves to the ratings game.
Seinfeld was still on top when they went off air.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Seinfeld was still on top when they went off air.
You're going to cite the show widely-regarded as the best sitcom of all time as evidence against my theory? That's the exception.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was the best episode of the season by far. Dwight had me laughing on many occasions. Actually, I thought it was one of their best episodes in a few years.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That episode sucks ass.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Finally watched last night's episode.

The Cold Open sucked. Jim and Pam suck.

I enjoyed the absence of Robert. Clearly the show would improve without him.

I liked pretty much all of the hospital plot and Dwight probably being the father. Finally a real plot development. Too little, too late though.

Andy trying to maintain any credibility as boss is annoying. They made the wrong managerial choice. Should have been Jim.

Creed got screen time. Hooray!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I'm watching seasons 1 and 2 again and can't help but think, damn this show used to be laugh out loud funny, almost constantly. Now I'm lucky if I smirk a few times an episode. Did this show change writers at some point? Because it's not just the absence of Michael Scott. All of the characters used to be better.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
So I'm watching seasons 1 and 2 again and can't help but think, damn this show used to be laugh out loud funny, almost constantly. Now I'm lucky if I smirk a few times an episode. Did this show change writers at some point? Because it's not just the absence of Michael Scott. All of the characters used to be better.
That's precisely the problem. The show has had an absurd number of writers and is far too willing to bring even more on:

Partial list, excludes the many people who have only written one episode:

The characters are inconsistent because no one maintains a firm personality on anyone. It's also why plot is a foreign word to this show.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

http://www.nbc.com/the-office/video/...ebacle/1383516

"I'm really hating this Jim guy .."

They shouldn't have cut these scenes.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
Episodes from seasons 1-3 are sooo much different than these last few seasons. I didn't even smile once during that stupid-ass pool episode. And The Office is one of my favorite shows of all time.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I liked the pool episode. Just not in the same way I used to like the show in its prime.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Having watched many older episodes on TBS lately, I've come to identify "Fun Run," the season 4 premiere, as a critical episode in the start of the show's decline.

I think breaking Dwight and Angela up had bad repercussions on the narrative, not necessarily at the time, but in the episodes to come.

The Andy-Angela relationship was a bad mis-step, in my opinion, and ended up effecting far more storylines than you initially would think.

I don't see a decline in the quality of "The Office" until the beginning of Season 5, but narrative issues cropped up as the result of some decisions prior to that point.

Anyone agree?

Last edited by Xiomera : 02-08-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Having watched many older episodes on TBS lately, I've come to identify "Fun Run," the season 4 premiere, as a critical episode in the start of the show's decline.

I think breaking Dwight and Angela up had bad repercussions on the narrative, not necessarily at the time, but in the episodes to come.

The Andy-Angela relationship was a bad mis-step, in my opinion, and ended up effecting far more storylines than you initially would think.

I don't see a decline in the quality of "The Office" until the beginning of Season 5, but narrative issues cropped up as the result of some decisions prior to that point.

Anyone agree?
Yeah I have to agree to some extent. I still think season 3 was the best but I have to say that I loved the Michael Scott Paper Company Inc. episodes. While season 4 was a down point I think they did bounce back a bit in season 5 only to go down hill again.

I just think they have left the formula that worked. Some because they were forced to continue the story others for god knows why. I would have to say losing Michael Scott is going to be the shows ultimate downfall.

They are trying to take a completely one dimensional character in Andy (Not to mention one they have made over at least 3 times) and have him take the roll of the most dynamic character on the show. I think Spader was as decent addition to the show but they should have brought in an outside character to be manager instead of hiring within.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Yeah I have to agree to some extent. I still think season 3 was the best but I have to say that I loved the Michael Scott Paper Company Inc. episodes. While season 4 was a down point I think they did bounce back a bit in season 5 only to go down hill again.

I just think they have left the formula that worked. Some because they were forced to continue the story others for god knows why. I would have to say losing Michael Scott is going to be the shows ultimate downfall.

They are trying to take a completely one dimensional character in Andy (Not to mention one they have made over at least 3 times) and have him take the roll of the most dynamic character on the show. I think Spader was as decent addition to the show but they should have brought in an outside character to be manager instead of hiring within.
Well, to be clear, I think Season 4 had several of the very best episodes of the show Dinner Party and Money, in particular are candidates for the 5 best episodes of the series, in my opinion. Local Ad, Goodbye Toby and The Deposition are also excellent.

Season 4 was the strike-shortened season, so I'd be curious to know how that may have altered the trajectory of the show. Season 5 is where things unraveled in my opinion. But like you said, the Michael Scott Paper Company arc was a temporary return to greatness that was bookended with poor stretches of episodes.

As for Steve Carell's exit from the show, I think it's been handled poorly this season in every way. The show could have easily succeeded without him though.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really liked tonight's episode. Thought it was funny and for such a simple premise, I didn't find it stale or boring.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
I really liked tonight's episode. Thought it was funny and for such a simple premise, I didn't find it stale or boring.
I couldn't disagree more. I didn't laugh once.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I also hate this Jim "affair" storyline that's begun out of nowhere. I know it won't happen but I don't like how they keep pushing it on us.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I didn't laugh once.
I liked the quick remarks, like Angela's monster baby and Dwight defending it, the pork anus one, Casey Anthony on the wall.

Also liked that there was no Robert California and that there wasn't a lot of Andy.

Jim storyline sucked though.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
I liked the quick remarks, like Angela's monster baby and Dwight defending it, the pork anus one, Casey Anthony on the wall.

Also liked that there was no Robert California and that there wasn't a lot of Andy.

Jim storyline sucked though.
I did love that part.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the cold open at least, and parts of Dwight being pissed off. I cannot stand Jim or Pam anymore though, god I hate them (and I really am annoyed at Kathy's continued existence).

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote