Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's not like you guys have good backup 34 ILBs anyway, so what difference does it make?
I agree that the depth at ILB is pretty horrid but you are taking a position that you can generally rotate three players and have a fourth for development in a 3-4 due to the similarities of both ILB positions and attempting to transition to a 4-3 where the seperate LB responsibilites vary a lot more imo. Creating the need to sign or develop at least two more players to fill the back ups.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I don't want to hear excuses. Look at what Wade Phillips just did in Houston. Now I know he got a few players in the secondary like Joseph and Manning, but it's not like that unit is full of pro-bowlers. They we're garbage last year, and he made them the number one defense in the NFL.

Not to mention, he also had a lockout and switched to a 3-4 and still was great, and lost Mario williams in week 5.

Don't give me rob's schemes are too complicated so it's harder than other teams. The bottom line is that he is just loud mouthed, his last name is ryan, and he is fat with long hair so he's in the media all the time, and if you're in the media people tend to think you're good even when you're not.

Again, can he put a good defense on the field with some better players? Sure, but he's no better than 75% of defensive minds in the league. I hope he somehow gets a head coaching gig next year so we get somebody with actual substance with a history of winning. But whoever would hire him as a HC is an idiot, so I won't keep my hopes up.
Wade Phillips inherited an entirely new revamped defense from the one the Texans fielded in 2010-11. It didn't just start and stop with Jonathan Joseph and Danieal Manning. They drafted JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris, Rashard Carmichael and Shiloh Keo as well in a VERY HEAVY defensive oriented draft. So let's not pretned the Cowboys did the same thing.

Rob Ryan got Abram Elam, Kenyon Coleman, Frank Walker and an unusable Bruce Carter. Yet Rob turned this defense around from a defense that gave up 27 ppg good for 31st in the league last year to one that gave up 21 ppg good for 16th in the league. The improvement speaks for itself.

As for his track record, I think it speaks for itself if people simply cared to look it up before they trashed him.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/te...wName=Rob_Ryan

The Dallas Cowboys added a coach with an aggressive coaching style and fiery personality when they named Rob Ryan as the team's defensive coordinator on January 15, 2011. Ryan replaces Paul Pasqualoni, who became the club's defensive coordinator midway through the 2010 season. Ryan arrives in Dallas with 24 years of coaching experience and 13 years of NFL experience. He has spent the previous seven years as an NFL defensive coordinator - Oakland Raiders (2004-08) and Cleveland Browns (2009-10) - and has four years of experience heading up defenses at the collegiate level.

In 2010 Ryan's defense in Cleveland tied for eighth in the NFL with 19 interceptions. Ryan's work as the head of the Browns defense saw six different players post multiple interceptions on the season to tie for the third-most players with two-or-more interceptions on a team this season. Rookie defensive back Joe Haden led the team, tied for fifth in the NFL and tied for second among rookies with six interceptions. Haden's six picks were the most by a Brown since Leigh Bodden had six in 2007, and they were the most by a Browns rookie since Anthony Henry had a team-record 10 thefts in 2001. Also among Ryan's secondary was the club's leading tackler in T.J. Ward. Ward, also a rookie, became the first Cleveland rookie to lead the team in tackles since linebacker Wali Rainer in 1999. On the ground, Cleveland allowed just seven rushing touchdowns which tied for the fourth-fewest in the league.

In Ryan's first season in Cleveland, the club did not allow a touchdown in three games - the most games in which a Browns defense did not yield a touchdown since 2003. Ryan's defense posted 40.0 sacks to tie for eighth in the league and the most for a Cleveland defense since racking up 43 in 2001. Over the second half of the season, Ryan's defense saw an improvement as they yielded less points allowed (-5.3 per-game), total yards allowed (-39.9), rushing yards allowed (-52.0), sacks (+1.0) and first downs allowed (-2.7).

Before landing in Cleveland, Ryan spent five seasons as the Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator. In his time guiding the fortunes of the Raiders defense, Ryan tutored a pair of Pro Bowlers in defensive end Derrick Burgess and cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. In his four seasons playing for Ryan, Burgess amassed 38.5 sacks, including an NFL-best 16.0 in 2005. Asomugha finished 2006 third in the league with eight interceptions. In that same season, the Raiders defense led the league in pass defense (150.8 yards-per-game) and third in total defense (284.8 yards-per-game). For his work in 2006, Ryan was named the USA Today All-Joe Coordinator of the Year.

Ryan spent four seasons (2000-03) as the linebackers coach for Bill Belichick's New England Patriots. In his time with the Patriots, Ryan was a part of two Super Bowl championship teams - XXXVI and XXXVIII - while working with one of the league's top linebackers in Teddy Bruschi. He also mentored 2003 Pro Bowl linebacker Willie McGinest.

Ryan began his NFL coaching career in 1994 as the defensive backs coach under his father, Buddy, for the Arizona Cardinals. In his first season in Arizona, the Cardinals boasted the NFL's third ranked defense. Under Rob, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl (1994 and 1995) and the Cardinals led the league with 42 takeaways in 1995.

Ryan entered the coaching ranks in 1987 as a graduate assistant with Western Kentucky. He assumed similar responsibilities at Ohio State in 1988. He then spent five seasons (1989-93) at Tennessee State where he coached running backs (1989-91), linebackers (1992) and the defensive line (1993).

Ryan spent three years at outside linebacker with Southwestern Oklahoma State. His twin brother, Rex, is the head coach of the N.Y. Jets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Ryan
Ryan was a graduate assistant at Western Kentucky in 1987 and at Ohio State in 1988. Ryan then spent 5 seasons at Tennessee State, where he coached running backs (198991), wide receivers(1992) and the defensive line (1993). He served as defensive coordinator at Hutchinson Community College in 1996, where they led the nation in total defense (228 yards per game) and in sacks (56). His defense also set a national record by forcing 49 turnovers. Ryan originally entered the NFL coaching ranks in 1994 as defensive backs coach on his father's staff at Arizona Cardinals. He also coached Cardinals cornerbacks and safeties in 1995. With Ryan as his position coach, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995. In 1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways. The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense. From 199799, Ryan was the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State, where the Cowboys defense continually ranked among the best in the nation, also he was named Coordinator of the Year by The Sporting News in 1997.

In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defense finished among the nation top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense, allowing just 302.7 yards per game. It was an over 100-yard improvement per game from the year before and helped the Cowboys produce an 84 mark and capping the 1997 season with a berth in the Alamo Bowl.

From 2000 to 2003, Ryan was the linebackers coach for the New England Patriots.[1] In 2003, the Patriots ranked first in the NFL in fewest points allowed 238 while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense. Ryan's unit also contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchise history in 2001, as the Patriots allowed just 17 points per game and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tedy Bruschi.

From 2004 to 2008, Ryan was the defensive coordinator for the Oakland Raiders.[1] In 2006, the Raiders ranked third in yards allowed per game and eighteenth in points allowed per game.

Former Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini named Ryan as defensive coordinator on January 14, 2009.

He was officially named the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator on January 19, 2011.[3]
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't understand why you love Rob Ryan so much D. I just don't get it.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Offseason moves:

Step 1: Cut the fat
Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Terrance Newman, Allan Ball, Martellus Bennett, Felix Jones, Anthony Spencer. Yes, I'm aware that some of those guys are FAs, just let them go.

Now I know some of you are seeing Felix's name and thinking "why Felix?" Simply put, he's a backup RB who is not worth the price tag. Let's face it guys, he is what he is. And he's not worth the money. A change up to Murray can be had in the middle rounds for much cheaper, and Murray is vastly superior to Jones. Cut the fat, save the money.

Step 2: Free Agency Moves
Sign Mario Williams, switch to a 43 front. Sign Manny Lawson to shore up SAM. This puts Ratliff in his natural UT position, he's been a UT his whole career, he was never a NT. This instantly upgrades your interior push. Spears provides no pass rush, but has always been a 4-3 NT who can be great in that role. Ware is a beast anywhere, don't worry about him. Mario is a beast off the edge.

Now you instantly upgrade your front 7. You have to compete with the division. All your division opponents can rush with 4. NYG has the best dline in the NFL, Philly led the league in sacks with mostly their front 4, Washington can rush with 4 with Rak and Kerrigan on the edges and Bowen up the gut.

You all know the East is an arms race, you gotta compete with the division. Getting Mario instantly puts your dline in that conversation. Now the addition of Lawson gives you versatility up front. Lawson is long and strong, can set the edge in the run game in an Over front, can reroute TEs at the line, and can cover with the best of them. Plus he can put his hand in the dirt on 3rd down and allow you to move around Mario and Ware along the dline, providing scheme versatility.

Those 2 moves gives you guys one of the better front 7s in the league. Plus Lee and Carter will probably be better in space as well anyway.

Now I know you guys are saying "but our secondary sucks still" Who cares. Jenkins and Scandrick are good enough. With that front 7 and those LBs, along with the pressure you get from the front 4 now, you can play a lot more umbrella coverages to mask the secondary.

Yes, I hate Cover 2 as well, but guess what? Look at the Bears. You can't tell me their secondary is any worse than yours, but they get after it with 4 and they have 2 LBs who can patrol the middle of the field, and last time I checked, their defense is pretty damn good.

Step 3: the draft

1. DeCastro
Again, the East is an arms race. You have to compete on the dline, but also prevent the division from getting to your qb. You have bookend OTs, that's a good start. Getting DeCastro gives you an interior guy who can take on the Jenkins, Bowens, Canty/Tucks of the world. You need that guy.

2. Best available interior pass rusher/DT
Ratliff is getting older, and you need a guy who can develop behind him plus give you another interior pass rushing DT who can come in on 3rd downs and obvious passing formations.

3. Brewer C/G Ohio
I'm not thrilled with him as a Center, I feel he's better at Guard. He's a little lanky and long to play Center, and I think he can be a good pulling guard. Either way, you draft him and find a spot for him. His versatility can't hurt.

4. Best available TE/RB
You need a change up to Murray, and Witten is getting slower and slower and slower. You need to develop a TE behind him.

5-7: BPA

I also like the CB from Texas A&M, but he's an injury liability. I don't know where he'll fall in this draft. He can even move to FS if necessary, but it all depends on his medical to me.

That's my plan for the Cowboys. You can't fix everything overnight, but I feel that's the best plan for this year. You can concentrate on upgrading the secondary next year. As for Laurent Robinson, you'll probably lose him. Look, you gotta trust Romo to be that guy to make everyone around him better. He has it in him, he can make what he has work. Your offense is plenty talented, it's up to Romo to maximize it.

What do you think? Yay or nay?
That draft is simply horrible merely from the standpoint that we only spend 1 pick in the first 4 rounds on defense. Scandrick and Jenkins are always hurt bro.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I really don't understand why you love Rob Ryan so much D. I just don't get it.
He's the whole package. Coaching isn't just about schemes. He inspires and holds accountability. He sticks up for his players and they try hard for him too. He's had jack crap to work with. That's undeniable.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That draft is simply horrible merely from the standpoint that we only spend 1 pick in the first 4 rounds on defense. Scandrick and Jenkins are always hurt bro.
Yeah, I won't deny that draft is weak. I still have to scout players, don't know nearly enough about guys outside the first round just yet.

My concern is, there really isn't any CBs available in FA that I feel are worth the money, nor is there any CBs in the draft that I like at the moment. I hate drafting talent in a need position just bc you have to draft someone at that position. Talent>>> need all day every day.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's the whole package. Coaching isn't just about schemes. He inspires and holds accountability. He sticks up for his players and they try hard for him too. He's had jack crap to work with. That's undeniable.
I agree to a certain point... that he is the anti Wade Phillips... he encourages challenges and adds swag to the defense. On the flip side of the coin his schemes are not personel friendly.... they are carved in stone no matter what the strengths and weaknesses of the players are. His schemes demand at least one player that is a + man coverage corner who can survive on an island. Without a player how can take away half the field his zone schemes are stretched and easily attacked. Wade was much better at adapting to his players and was the reason Ratliff was sucessful at NT and James at ILB. Rather then drawing up players over and over that put Bradie in a position to play in space or Rat to occupy to blockers he continued to change. He bit off more then he chewed attempting to run the entire team and call the defense which was his major downfall.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

The Cowboys need discipline. Rob is a loudmouth who has more bark than bite. That's the last thing the Cowboys need. Wade was a brilliant DC but also a softy. Garrett doesn't get respected bc he's basically Jerry's puppet. Seriously, how do you expect the team to respect the coach when the GM/Owner comes down to him during the game and tells him to bench his qb?

The Cowboys need a tough discipline oriented approach with credibility (key word there, he has to have credibility). I'd go hard after Cowher if Garrett doesn't make the playoffs this year.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Cowboys need discipline. Rob is a loudmouth who has more bark than bite. That's the last thing the Cowboys need. Wade was a brilliant DC but also a softy. Garrett doesn't get respected bc he's basically Jerry's puppet. Seriously, how do you expect the team to respect the coach when the GM/Owner comes down to him during the game and tells him to bench his qb?

The Cowboys need a tough discipline oriented approach with credibility (key word there, he has to have credibility). I'd go hard after Cowher if Garrett doesn't make the playoffs this year.
LOL you lost me with the Garrett comment. By all accounts JG is the first coach in a long time to put JJ in his place in terms of personnel. Even Jerry has admitted that JG has final call on the roster. He never gave that sort of comment when Camp Cupcake was in town.

JG has been described as a disciplinarian and echo'd the mantra of BP's toe the line. Laughable.

You had it until you decided to trash everyone rather than focusing on those that fit your point. ;)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
LOL you lost me with the Garrett comment. By all accounts JG is the first coach in a long time to put JJ in his place in terms of personnel. Even Jerry has admitted that JG has final call on the roster. He never gave that sort of comment when Camp Cupcake was in town.

JG has been described as a disciplinarian and echo'd the mantra of BP's toe the line. Laughable.

You had it until you decided to trash everyone rather than focusing on those that fit your point. ;)
Come on bro. He said the same thing when Wade was coach. Same thing when Parcells was coach. Jerry has final roster say. Just because he says it doesn't mean it's true. If Jerry and Garrett disagree on a guy on draft day, guess what? Jerry is getting his guy. That's how it's going to be.

I know Garrett has instilled discipline to the best of his ability, but he lacks the credibility part that I emphasized in my post. You think Jerry would come down and tell a Jeff Fisher or a Bill Parcells or a Bill Cowher to sit his qb? Those guys wouldn't have it. And when players see that, trust me, you lose credibility in that locker room.

Put yourself in a similar position as the players. Let's say you're at your job, and you have a direct supervisor, and a manager above him. Your manager is constantly telling your supervisor what to do in front of you and the rest of the team, and when he doesn't agree with your supervisor on something, he'll force him to do what he wants.

As a worker, would you fear your supervisor? Of course not. He's just a yes man. I know that I don't have to do what he says, I just have to appease my manager. So his words are falling on deaf ears. As long as I'm cool with my manager, I'm good. My supervisor's words don't mean ****. The only time I'll listen to my supervisor is when I know my manager wants the same thing. If not, then hell with what he says.

See the problem?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, I won't deny that draft is weak. I still have to scout players, don't know nearly enough about guys outside the first round just yet.

My concern is, there really isn't any CBs available in FA that I feel are worth the money, nor is there any CBs in the draft that I like at the moment. I hate drafting talent in a need position just bc you have to draft someone at that position. Talent>>> need all day every day.

That may be so, but when your CB's are as bad as ours you just can't ignore it. Stanfort Routt or Tracy Porter would be welcomed additions here big time. We need a guy like that, and an early pick. How would we win a game when our only CB's are Jenkins and Scandrick? Two CB's in this day and age? Lol we would be a laughing stock of a defense.

That's aside from the fact that they both get injured too. You need at least 5 solid CB's, we are a long way away. We just can't ignore CB in FA and in the draft and think it'll due us any good. There is not way around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That may be so, but when your CB's are as bad as ours you just can't ignore it. Stanfort Routt or Tracy Porter would be welcomed additions here big time. We need a guy like that, and an early pick. How would we win a game when our only CB's are Jenkins and Scandrick? Two CB's in this day and age? Lol we would be a laughing stock of a defense.

That's aside from the fact that they both get injured too. You need at least 5 solid CB's, we are a long way away. We just can't ignore CB in FA and in the draft and think it'll due us any good. There is not way around that.
If that's the case, I would still go after Mario in FA, then draft a CB in the 1st round. I'm just not thrilled with this CB class so far. I'm iffy on Dre, and Dennard reminds me of Ike Taylor so far in my study of him.

I just don't think Porter can be that guy. Routt...maybe. I didn't think he was that bad when I saw him play. But both will command a contract that I wouldn't feel comfortable handing out. I just hate giving out bad contracts. You go in circles doing that.

But I really think a dline of Ware and Mario on the edges would be dominant.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

At least that clears up why you chose that draft. When you don't include players at certain positions because you don't know them, that severely limits the options in a mock.

BTW, the Brewster pick seems exactly what you criticized. Need over talent. No??? I dunno, I personally think he's more hype than substance and that he'll eventually end up at Guard in the NFL.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I agree to a certain point... that he is the anti Wade Phillips... he encourages challenges and adds swag to the defense. On the flip side of the coin his schemes are not personel friendly.... they are carved in stone no matter what the strengths and weaknesses of the players are. His schemes demand at least one player that is a + man coverage corner who can survive on an island. Without a player how can take away half the field his zone schemes are stretched and easily attacked. Wade was much better at adapting to his players and was the reason Ratliff was sucessful at NT and James at ILB. Rather then drawing up players over and over that put Bradie in a position to play in space or Rat to occupy to blockers he continued to change. He bit off more then he chewed attempting to run the entire team and call the defense which was his major downfall.
I don't know if it was so much that Wade made adjustments to his scheme to accommodate players as much as our players simply fit his scheme better. Moving from Parcells 2 gap 3-4 to Wade's 1 gap 3-4 was a much better fit for Ratliff. As for Bradie, I don't think he was committed to learning a new system at this point in his career. Last year of his deal combined with age, I think with any new DC, his outcome would've been the same and rightfully so as Sean Lee's emergence justified.

I have the view point that players take on the personalities of their coaches to a large degree and that's another reason why I am a big supporter of Rob Ryan.... because he exudes the fire that I want to see from the players on the field.

I think he adjusted plenty to our personnel this past season. What we saw was not a full fledged Rob Ryan scheme at all. Yet he showed the versatility to accommodate to our players weaknesses. He didn't keep doing what wasn't working. He didn't force "his system". He made adjustments. Also, he ran the 4-3 in Oakland, and ran the 3-4 in New England and Cleveland. I think he's pretty versatile. But I do get what you were trying to say in that his scheme needs a top cover corner to be in full effect. I agree that that limits him to a degree.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If that's the case, I would still go after Mario in FA, then draft a CB in the 1st round. I'm just not thrilled with this CB class so far. I'm iffy on Dre, and Dennard reminds me of Ike Taylor so far in my study of him.

I just don't think Porter can be that guy. Routt...maybe. I didn't think he was that bad when I saw him play. But both will command a contract that I wouldn't feel comfortable handing out. I just hate giving out bad contracts. You go in circles doing that.

But I really think a dline of Ware and Mario on the edges would be dominant.

Yea I wouldn't be opposed to Mario, I'm just not one of the guys pushing to do it. Not sure why, I'm just luke warm on the idea of giving him a massive contract.

I probably like Jenkins at CB in the 1st more then most, he's just naturally fluid in his hips, and with how much we like to blitz he seems like he could be left on an island with his man. I like Jenkins a lot when healthy as a #2 CB, people bash him a lot but his pro bowl year was no fluke, if were getting consistent QB pressure and have a potential shut down #1 CB he'll be great.

Scandrick is solid as a slot, and we need depth. It could be fixed in one off-season if we approach it correctly, but hell Routt as a 4th CB would be awesome, Rob Ryan knows him and it'd be a massive upgrade over Alan Ball.

Then again if we did get Mario, I'd want to spend an early pick on a DE and just try to dominate up front. ILB depth is horrible too though, smh we just have some holes. I like Bruce Carter, but hell, if he gets hurt we might have to switch to a 4-3 mid season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

The Cowboys do need discipline. You know where at? At the exact areas where we have talent deficiencies. They are at the same source. If we improve our areas of weakness, and the defense improves, then the discipline/mental weakness excuses will go out the window. Get me a lockdown corner, get me a safety that can cover, get me an OLB to replace Spencer, get me another ILB next to Lee, get me a NT that doesn't struggle at his position, get me a stud DE. Get me those talent upgrades and I'll show you that the mental toughness criticism and poor coaching excuses are erased.

I know you don't like our coaching staff and you think the problem starts with Jerry and trickles down to his coaches. But I'm not convinced. I think the main problem is our talent level and our lack of ability to compete at the same level of the elite teams in the NFL. We have invested A LOT on the offensive side of the ball and it shows. We have not invested A LOT on the defensive side of the ball and it shows there as well. If the Cowboys want to get to the top, they need to make smart personnel moves to address our areas of weakness.

Coaching credibility is overrated in the way you make it sound. Players don't blankly ignore NFL coaches unless they have personal reason to. I don't think they play any less hard or listen any less based off credibility.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Free Agency A Month Out, Cowboys Have Eighth Highest Amount Of 2012 Cap Space :)

After we cut Newman we'll end up at 5th most space.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...hest-amount-of
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Yea I wouldn't be opposed to Mario, I'm just not one of the guys pushing to do it. Not sure why, I'm just luke warm on the idea of giving him a massive contract.

I probably like Jenkins at CB in the 1st more then most, he's just naturally fluid in his hips, and with how much we like to blitz he seems like he could be left on an island with his man. I like Jenkins a lot when healthy as a #2 CB, people bash him a lot but his pro bowl year was no fluke, if were getting consistent QB pressure and have a potential shut down #1 CB he'll be great.

Scandrick is solid as a slot, and we need depth. It could be fixed in one off-season if we approach it correctly, but hell Routt as a 4th CB would be awesome, Rob Ryan knows him and it'd be a massive upgrade over Alan Ball.

Then again if we did get Mario, I'd want to spend an early pick on a DE and just try to dominate up front. ILB depth is horrible too though, smh we just have some holes. I like Bruce Carter, but hell, if he gets hurt we might have to switch to a 4-3 mid season.
You need to get these wild fantasy CB situations out of your head. If Routt came here, he'd be a starter. 4th CB? This isn't madden bro. Stanford Routt as our 4th CB? LOLOLOLOLOL.

As for Janoris Jenkins at 14, it isn't happening. Broaddus has inside info in the organization and he said on the football show that they aren't going to pick him at 14. They want to get bigger at CB. If they pick a CB at 14 it will be Kirkpatrick. Depends on free agency and who else is on the board.

Jenkins at 14 would be a mistake anyway. He's a solid CB but he's small and nothing spectacular. At 14 it would be terrible. Good thing they aren't going that direction.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Come on bro. He said the same thing when Wade was coach. Same thing when Parcells was coach. Jerry has final roster say. Just because he says it doesn't mean it's true. If Jerry and Garrett disagree on a guy on draft day, guess what? Jerry is getting his guy. That's how it's going to be.

I know Garrett has instilled discipline to the best of his ability, but he lacks the credibility part that I emphasized in my post. You think Jerry would come down and tell a Jeff Fisher or a Bill Parcells or a Bill Cowher to sit his qb? Those guys wouldn't have it. And when players see that, trust me, you lose credibility in that locker room.

Put yourself in a similar position as the players. Let's say you're at your job, and you have a direct supervisor, and a manager above him. Your manager is constantly telling your supervisor what to do in front of you and the rest of the team, and when he doesn't agree with your supervisor on something, he'll force him to do what he wants.

As a worker, would you fear your supervisor? Of course not. He's just a yes man. I know that I don't have to do what he says, I just have to appease my manager. So his words are falling on deaf ears. As long as I'm cool with my manager, I'm good. My supervisor's words don't mean ****. The only time I'll listen to my supervisor is when I know my manager wants the same thing. If not, then hell with what he says.

See the problem?
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bigbluedefense again.
Excellent post and echoes what I've been saying for a while now, really since the Garrett hiring. Some here don't want to open their eyes to the fact that Garrett is just a Yes Man that doesn't command the same respect from his players as other, more credible coaches around the league.

Players aren't oblivious to what goes on in the organization, they see it just as clearly as fans do, if not MORE clearly. If damn near everyone who watches football knows that Garrett is just Jerry's Yes Man then you better believe the players are thinking that in the back of their mind's too... and no one respects a Yes Man.

I'm happy that a fan of another team is coming in here and voicing the obvious, thanks BBD. I'd love to see a poll in the NFL Topic thread on what percentage of posters thinks JG is just a Jerry Yes Man, because I think it'd be an overwhelming response and maybe open some eyes up in here to what unbiased fans are seeing from the outside.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-13-2012 at 09:01 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
With Free Agency A Month Out, Cowboys Have Eighth Highest Amount Of 2012 Cap Space :)

After we cut Newman we'll end up at 5th most space.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...hest-amount-of
How much dead cap space will cutting Newman cause us if any?
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
How much dead cap space will cutting Newman cause us if any?
Dead money would be the prorated portion of his signing bonus (2million per year) for a total of 6 million. That's where the "saving up" part comes into play. If we cut him before June 1st it saves us 4 million and we take the entire cap hit this year (no dead money next year). If we cut him after June 1st then we save 6 million on this year's cap and take a 2 million dead money hit next year.

So we'll have anywhere between 21 million and 23 million to spend this offseason. With current salaries that projects to between 18 and 20 million on free agency.

A lot of people within the organization have given a TON of credit to Stephen Jones for the salary cap wizardry.

Last edited by Trogdor : 02-13-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wade was a brilliant DC but also a softy.
I generally respect your opinions, but you don't help your case with hyperbole. Wade is a good to very good DC. He is not 'brilliant'. I think you need to go back at look at Wade's defensive numbers. He's a had a few really good year, but he's also a several years where things were very average.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I like Wade's schemes and abilities... heck, I even hoped there was a way for us to keep him on as DC but at the same time see him relinquish the gig as HC. But it wasn't happening and it didn't happen. I respect him a lot, but that said, he is getting way too much credit for turning around that Texans defense. I say the majority of the credit goes to their GM for significantly upgrading the talent level first and foremost. Any half way decent DC could do a good job with that defense. So I'm not going to be too quick to go above and beyond what I initially thought of Wade (which was high already).
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Excellent post and echoes what I've been saying for a while now, really since the Garrett hiring. Some here don't want to open their eyes to the fact that Garrett is just a Yes Man that doesn't command the same respect from his players as other, more credible coaches around the league.

Players aren't oblivious to what goes on in the organization, they see it just as clearly as fans do, if not MORE clearly. If damn near everyone who watches football knows that Garrett is just Jerry's Yes Man then you better believe the players are thinking that in the back of their mind's too... and no one respects a Yes Man.

I'm happy that a fan of another team is coming in here and voicing the obvious, thanks BBD. I'd love to see a poll in the NFL Topic thread on what percentage of posters thinks JG is just a Jerry Yes Man, because I think it'd be an overwhelming response and maybe open some eyes up in here to what unbiased fans are seeing from the outside.
For me, I am not a fan of Jason Garrett. I criticized the hire because I knew it came with growing pains of a young HC. Sure enough, we saw plenty of those in his first year being an NFL HC. From his overconfidence in his young OL, to his poor game clock management, to his continued playcalling woes, to his handling of Romo... we can go on and on. Oh yeah, I can't stand his robotic interview answers either...

But with that said, I don't think that he is all bad. He's got a stiff one up his ass and it's hard to see him as a genuine guy, but I don't think the team disrespects him. Not at all. I don't think the players question his credibility and I don't think there is a distraction because of it. I don't think there is a wall built up between him and the players. I don't think they question his directions to the team. I don't think they have the attitude of "why should I listen to you?" and I don't think the team is thinking "I only need to listen to Jerry". I don't think there is ANY confusion on that part.

Jason is the HC of the team and the players take coaching direction from him and his staff. I think the issues Jason had last year can be mitigated by the hire of Bill Callahan. I think that hire will help a lot more than people think. Jason's problems were emphasized in running the ball and OL play. Passing wise, he's a shark. Callahan will bring that improvement in the run and the OL, so I think our offense next year will be better than ever in Garrett's reign here. At least I'm willing to give him the chance of that.

Bottom line, I don't see Jason Garrett as a reason why the Cowboys can't win next year. While I don't love him, I realize that the issues are correctable. I know he holds player accountability at a high priority and I don't think he's lost the team because of Jerry. I'm not gonna sit here and say all is lost until we get a new HC.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For me, I am not a fan of Jason Garrett. I criticized the hire because I knew it came with growing pains of a young HC. Sure enough, we saw plenty of those in his first year being an NFL HC. From his overconfidence in his young OL, to his poor game clock management, to his continued playcalling woes, to his handling of Romo... we can go on and on. Oh yeah, I can't stand his robotic interview answers either...

But with that said, I don't think that he is all bad. He's got a stiff one up his ass and it's hard to see him as a genuine guy, but I don't think the team disrespects him. Not at all. I don't think the players question his credibility and I don't think there is a distraction because of it. I don't think there is a wall built up between him and the players. I don't think they question his directions to the team. I don't think they have the attitude of "why should I listen to you?" and I don't think the team is thinking "I only need to listen to Jerry". I don't think there is ANY confusion on that part.

Jason is the HC of the team and the players take coaching direction from him and his staff. I think the issues Jason had last year can be mitigated by the hire of Bill Callahan. I think that hire will help a lot more than people think. Jason's problems were emphasized in running the ball and OL play. Passing wise, he's a shark. Callahan will bring that improvement in the run and the OL, so I think our offense next year will be better than ever in Garrett's reign here. At least I'm willing to give him the chance of that.

Bottom line, I don't see Jason Garrett as a reason why the Cowboys can't win next year. While I don't love him, I realize that the issues are correctable. I know he holds player accountability at a high priority and I don't think he's lost the team because of Jerry. I'm not gonna sit here and say all is lost until we get a new HC.
I concur with D on this. JG went took his lumps this year and I believe he'll learn and grow from them. While he's not very charismatic and pretty vanilla when it comes to his personality, I actually like that.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote