Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I concur with D on this. JG went took his lumps this year and I believe he'll learn and grow from them. While he's not very charismatic and pretty vanilla when it comes to his personality, I actually like that.
I agree. Garrett is not the problem. I think he is going to be a fine coach.

In fact, I compare with pretty well to Bill Belichick. Did anyone think Belichick was some mastermind with the Browns or his first year with the patriots when he went 5-11? Hell, if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get hurt Tom Brady might not be in the league right now and Belichick may have been fired from New England before all of the super bowls.

Garrett is a genius and he knows it, just like Belichick. They know what they are doing, and they are as vanilla as it gets when it comes to talking to the media.

Now, i'm not saying Garrett is going to win 3 super bowls like Belichick by any means, so don't jump on me. But I do think he is capable of handling the job and will have this team in contention pretty much every year.

Not to mention, Garrett can actually evaluate players. Broaddus called him a great player personnel guy, and I value his opinion highly.

Bill Callahan is also a huge hire, I agree with D-Unit on that. Perfect shoulder to lean on for Garrett. Let's not forget Belichick had coordinators like Wiess and Crennel. It isn't just the head coach. Eric Mangini said on First Take that he loves the Callahan hire (worked with him on the Jets) and it could be one of the best under the radar moves of the off-season. I respect his opinion as well he is very objective on that show.

People always want to point the finger at polarizing figures like Romo and Garrett because they make the headlines on ESPN, but they are the farthest thing from the problem.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
For me, I am not a fan of Jason Garrett. I criticized the hire because I knew it came with growing pains of a young HC. Sure enough, we saw plenty of those in his first year being an NFL HC. From his overconfidence in his young OL, to his poor game clock management, to his continued playcalling woes, to his handling of Romo... we can go on and on. Oh yeah, I can't stand his robotic interview answers either...

But with that said, I don't think that he is all bad. He's got a stiff one up his ass and it's hard to see him as a genuine guy, but I don't think the team disrespects him. Not at all. I don't think the players question his credibility and I don't think there is a distraction because of it. I don't think there is a wall built up between him and the players. I don't think they question his directions to the team. I don't think they have the attitude of "why should I listen to you?" and I don't think the team is thinking "I only need to listen to Jerry". I don't think there is ANY confusion on that part.

Jason is the HC of the team and the players take coaching direction from him and his staff. I think the issues Jason had last year can be mitigated by the hire of Bill Callahan. I think that hire will help a lot more than people think. Jason's problems were emphasized in running the ball and OL play. Passing wise, he's a shark. Callahan will bring that improvement in the run and the OL, so I think our offense next year will be better than ever in Garrett's reign here. At least I'm willing to give him the chance of that.

Bottom line, I don't see Jason Garrett as a reason why the Cowboys can't win next year. While I don't love him, I realize that the issues are correctable. I know he holds player accountability at a high priority and I don't think he's lost the team because of Jerry. I'm not gonna sit here and say all is lost until we get a new HC.
I have a polar opposite view to the bolded. The guy iced his own kicker to lose a game, you don't think players talk amongst themselves about that and begin to have doubts? Then when Jerry comes down on the sidelines in the middle of a game and tells Garrett that he needs to sit Romo, you don't think players second guess who's really in charge after seeing that?

Players are heavily opinionated just like us, JG doesn't have the credibility in this league for the players to just hand their respect over to him because of his title. We recognized JG was in over his head this season, but you don't think the players saw the same thing? Sorry, just can't buy that.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's a lot of talk on a couple of sites about Sturm's article about putting the franchise tag on Spencer.

I think that would be a horrible idea.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
The guy iced his own kicker to lose a game, you don't think players talk amongst themselves about that and begin to have doubts?
Can we all please stop with this idiocy? He did not ice his own kicker.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Can we all please stop with this idiocy? He did not ice his own kicker.
lol what would you call it then?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
lol what would you call it then?
His ST coach told him they weren't ready and to call the TO.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There's a lot of talk on a couple of sites about Sturm's article about putting the franchise tag on Spencer.

I think that would be a horrible idea.
It was on PFT too.

And yes it would be a disaster.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
His ST coach told him they weren't ready and to call the TO.
Well then that's a whole nother can of worms. In his presser he said they were comfortable from 48 and were settling at that distance, that's why they weren't more aggressive. My question is, if that was the plan then why is the FG team not ready to go on the sideline? If you already made that decision that you were in FG range and were content there, there is no excuse to have confusion on the sideline when the FG team runs out.

Either way you look at it he handled the situation terribly and cost us the game.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was on PFT too.

And yes it would be a disaster.
I just think this is all chatter right now. If we spend $9mi on someone, it's gonna be a player like Mario and we'll spend more than that.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Broaddus said that there is a good chance they franchise spencer. The only way I wouldn't hate it is if we get a true NT and ratliff moves to DE. Maybe Rob Ryan actually believes Spencer isn't that good.

As for this "the players aren't scared of garrett" garbage, that's such a pathetic excuse. They are professionals who are making millions of dollars. This isn't little league. That's a joke. If the team is winning, the players buy in, if they don't, then you just have to see how they handle the adversity and hopefully fight out of it.

This "the players don't respect garrett because of jerry" is garbage. Garrett has control, and these guys are NFL players. Not a high school JV team. gtfo.

And even if they don't respect garrett.. what does that even matter? They are still going to do their jobs. If they win it's because they we're good enough. This Garrett stuff is a joke.

Thought people on this board were better than getting sucked in to ESPN gossip..

Last edited by CDCB14 : 02-13-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well then that's a whole nother can of worms. In his presser he said they were comfortable from 48 and were settling at that distance, that's why they weren't more aggressive. My question is, if that was the plan then why is the FG team not ready to go on the sideline? If you already made that decision that you were in FG range and were content there, there is no excuse to have confusion on the sideline when the FG team runs out.

Either way you look at it he handled the situation terribly and cost us the game.
I never said they managed the situation well up to that point. I think they managed that very poorly and I think Garrett will learn from his mistakes.

All I'm saying is that it's silly and hyperbole to say he iced his own kicker because that is not what happened.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I never said they managed the situation well up to that point. I think they managed that very poorly and I think Garrett will learn from his mistakes.

All I'm saying is that it's silly and hyperbole to say he iced his own kicker because that is not what happened.
I think it's more embarrassing than silly/hyperbole, because essentially that is what happened. He didn't mean to do it, but it doesn't change the fact that he did.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a polar opposite view to the bolded. The guy iced his own kicker to lose a game, you don't think players talk amongst themselves about that and begin to have doubts? Then when Jerry comes down on the sidelines in the middle of a game and tells Garrett that he needs to sit Romo, you don't think players second guess who's really in charge after seeing that?

Players are heavily opinionated just like us, JG doesn't have the credibility in this league for the players to just hand their respect over to him because of his title. We recognized JG was in over his head this season, but you don't think the players saw the same thing? Sorry, just can't buy that.
We can agree to disagree, but it sounds like you think there is an existing mutiny going on in the lockerroom. I don't think JG has a credibility problem in this lockerroom. He's been here for a long time already. He's gone through the same wars with them WAY before he was the HC here. This is a situation unlike a new foreign HC coming in with no history between him and the players. Totally different. Credibility is not in question. He's had success here and the players on offense, especially the leaders are ALL IN with Garrett. With the whole Jerry went down to tell Garrett to take Romo off the field... Do you think Romo now feels confusion on who to take play calls from? Sounds silly to me.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think it's more embarrassing than silly/hyperbole, because essentially that is what happened. He didn't mean to do it, but it doesn't change the fact that he did.
NO DOUBT it turned out to be one of the stupidest things I ever saw from a HC, but it didn't turn into a situation where now the players are now disinterested in anything Garrett has to say.

BTW, I'm happy with all this Cowboys talk. It'zzzzz fun! ^_^

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank god the combine and free agency is coming up, we need something new to talk about. :)
Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Thank god the combine and free agency is coming up, we need something new to talk about. :)
Amen!!!!!!!!!

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-13-2012, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Clairborne starts falling to say, 8 or 9, do you move up and get him?

What would it cost? I have a feeling we see a lot more trades this year.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
If Clairborne starts falling to say, 8 or 9, do you move up and get him?

What would it cost? I have a feeling we see a lot more trades this year.
I'm sure the new CBA will stir up more trades than every before. So much less risk in signing these new rookie deals. Teams could go berzerk, especially teams fighting for the #2 spot to get RG3.

For Claiborne, the most I'd be willing to give up would be our 1st plus a 3rd and even then, I'm not so sure.

For this draft, I'm much more inclined to want to trade down to add picks. The talent at 12 is very underwhelming.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm sure the new CBA will stir up more trades than every before. So much less risk in signing these new rookie deals. Teams could go berzerk, especially teams fighting for the #2 spot to get RG3.

For Claiborne, the most I'd be willing to give up would be our 1st plus a 3rd and even then, I'm not so sure.

For this draft, I'm much more inclined to want to trade down to add picks. The talent at 12 is very underwhelming.
The Rams are sitting in a beautiful spot IMO. Someone is going to pay a heavy price to pick him at #2 and Fisher hasn't denied the fact that he'd like to trade down. I think they really want someone like Blackmon and can still get him later in the top 10.

Our #14 spot is in an interesting one. Unless we fall in love with someone or if by a miracle Claiborne some hows drops, there's probably no reason to pick at that spot. So many of these players we can get in the 20's and pick up a 2nd and possibly more picks.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Ahmad Bradshaw says Cowboys won’t win with Tony Romo at QB

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...192548301.html

"I don't see it happening," Bradshaw told the NFL Network when asked if the Cowboys will ever win a Super Bowl with Romo at the helm. "I don't think they believe it, and they're America's Team. If America don't believe it . . ."

Bradshaw was asked to clear his comment, about whether he was referring to the team itself or the fans.

"It all comes together," Bradshaw said. "If the fans don't believe it, the team doesn't. They're kinda doubtful with Romo."

----------------------------

Has Bradshaw been reading my posts? LMAO.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bradshaw needs to ****. He's not the runner he used to be. Dances way too much. Be worried about your own job security Bradshaw. I think Romo will be starting for the Cowboys much longer than you'll be starting for the Giants.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Bradshaw needs to ****. He's not the runner he used to be. Dances way too much. Be worried about your own job security Bradshaw. I think Romo will be starting for the Cowboys much longer than you'll be starting for the Giants.
Bradshaw does have a point though. There are still doubts on Romo's ability to "finish". I certainly have doubts that he'd ever win a SB. Romo is a gunslinger which is both a blessing and a curse. If you ever want to talk about him being a top QB, he'll always be in that conversation because of his aggressive passing style that puts up a lot of fancy stats, but if you want to argue whether he can win it all... let's just say... there's a distinct difference there. The rest of the team has to be damn near perfect. He's not a guy who carry the team on his shoulders. He's gotta have protection, he's gotta have a strong running game, he's gotta have good receivers and he's gotta have a strong defense. Give him all those things and he can be a part of the solution, but he will never be one to carry a faulty team to victory.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ahmad Bradshaw says Cowboys won’t win with Tony Romo at QB

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...192548301.html

"I don't see it happening," Bradshaw told the NFL Network when asked if the Cowboys will ever win a Super Bowl with Romo at the helm. "I don't think they believe it, and they're America's Team. If America don't believe it . . ."

Bradshaw was asked to clear his comment, about whether he was referring to the team itself or the fans.

"It all comes together," Bradshaw said. "If the fans don't believe it, the team doesn't. They're kinda doubtful with Romo."

----------------------------

Has Bradshaw been reading my posts? LMAO.
Yeah cause he's in the locker room right? What a joke. The media today is pathetic. If you actually take anything from that then I don't even know what to tell you..
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We can agree to disagree, but it sounds like you think there is an existing mutiny going on in the lockerroom. I don't think JG has a credibility problem in this lockerroom. He's been here for a long time already. He's gone through the same wars with them WAY before he was the HC here. This is a situation unlike a new foreign HC coming in with no history between him and the players. Totally different. Credibility is not in question. He's had success here and the players on offense, especially the leaders are ALL IN with Garrett. With the whole Jerry went down to tell Garrett to take Romo off the field... Do you think Romo now feels confusion on who to take play calls from? Sounds silly to me.
Not a mutiny, I just don't think the current structure of our organization is the best fit for a young inexperienced coach like Garrett and I have my doubts that he's the one that can change the culture within the lockerroom. Garrett's familiarity with our vets is not a good thing IMO, there's undoubtedly a comfort level between him and the players and I was looking for them to feel uncomfort after that horrendous 2010 campaign. There needed to be a major shake up, promoting the in-house guy was too knee jerk and it was a missed opportunity. That all ties in to the mental toughness issues we talked about a few pages back, the last thing a mentally weak team needs after a season like that is to feel a sense of comfort. When Garrett was named HC our underachieving lockerroom breathed a sigh of relief. The fact that we're still making the same stupid mistakes and blowing leads in mind numbing fashion has me worried that I am right.

Anyway, Stanford Routt is set to visit Dallas this week according to Matt Mosley.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bradshaw does have a point though. There are still doubts on Romo's ability to "finish". I certainly have doubts that he'd ever win a SB. Romo is a gunslinger which is both a blessing and a curse. If you ever want to talk about him being a top QB, he'll always be in that conversation because of his aggressive passing style that puts up a lot of fancy stats, but if you want to argue whether he can win it all... let's just say... there's a distinct difference there. The rest of the team has to be damn near perfect. He's not a guy who carry the team on his shoulders. He's gotta have protection, he's gotta have a strong running game, he's gotta have good receivers and he's gotta have a strong defense. Give him all those things and he can be a part of the solution, but he will never be one to carry a faulty team to victory.
Again, completely false. Did you watch the San Fran comeback? Your saying that wasn't all on Tony Romo's back? Besides, what QB doesn't need help? Football is the ultimate team sport. Put Joe Montana is his prime with an average to below average defense, OL, recievers, and running back and watch him finish 8-8. Then get back to me....

Ahhh, the power of ESPN these days. Terrible.