Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default B.J. Coleman, QB, UT-Chattanooga

I watched some film of his and saw him in the E-W Shrine game. I like him A LOT as a prospect. I'd probably guess 3rd-4th round.

Kiper pimped him on ESPN yesterday so I searched to bump the thread and mention it but there was no such thread.

Here it is. Discuss my favorite late-round QB prospect in this year's draft.

It's hard to give a full +/- scouting report on him because I've only seen a couple of youtube videos and one all-star game.

We do know:

-Highly regarded out of high school and went to Tennessee (I know there are some big UT fans on this board that can comment on his experience there - I think he showed some flashes in their Orange-White game way back when).

-Had a bad senior year (58% completion) but was riddled with injuries. Had a much better junior year (30 total TDs).

-Has worked with Brett Favre and I think Peyton Manning.

-Ideal size/intangibles/athleticism.

-From what I've seen (again, not much), he's got a quick release and real good footwork. He looks money in the short/intermediate game. I haven't seen a lot of deep throws but his arm strength is reported to be very good. And his completion % suggests he might not have great accuracy.

So yeah, B.J. Coleman. I like him.

EDIT: New insight here from GoMocs....

Quote:
Hello, I am the admin of www.mocfans.com, fan based forum for UT Chattanooga, where BJ Coleman played. I got to see him play his three years at UTC. Some info on him: four star qb out of high school, ranked number 10 pro style QB in nation out of high school. He signed with his childhood fave team, UTennessee. He redshirted his frosh year, then played a bit his first season behind a senior qb.

Going into his sophmore year UT fired Fulmer and hired Lane Kiffin. They went into the spring practice under Kiffin and the general consensus was that he won the starting job, however, Kiffin prounounced that a senior would start. Word was that Coleman wasn't given the starting job because there was some 5 Star qb that Kiffin was recruiting and having a sophmore as a starting qb would hurt the recruiting of him as he would think he would have to wait for a couple years. After this came out, BJ was blown off three times with appointments with Kiffin to discuss it and got to the point that Kiffin wouldn't even talk to him.

BJ then transferred home to Chattanooga, where he grew up and his dad played.

With respect to his senior season, not only did he miss a bunch of games due to an injury, he was playing behind an OL that had three freshmen and two sophmores starting most of the time. He would drop back and have to throw before even setting up much of the time. Other teams exploited the OL by blitzing. It was ugly. I keep the defensive stats for the team so I was watching closely. To get a better picture of him you need to look at his junior year stats.

He measured out at 6-3 and 235 lbs at the Shrine Bowl. He is a good student in class and is supposedly a film junkie, watching upwards of 20 hours of film during season on his own. He is literally the "Eagle Scout" type guy. Crew cut, no tats, says "yes maam" and "yes sir". I have met him, that is who he is.

We have a thread on him here

Free forum, immediate registration, feel free to stop by.

Last edited by gpngc : 02-15-2012 at 09:29 AM.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't remember the Shrine game that well, but I remember thinking he was kind of dumb and made throws that obviously shouldn't have been made. But maybe I need to re-watch.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
I don't remember the Shrine game that well, but I remember thinking he was kind of dumb and made throws that obviously shouldn't have been made. But maybe I need to re-watch.
He was 10-15 for 170 and a touchdown with no turnovers. I think he won MVP... so...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a big fan of his too, in that 3-4 range.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would've started at UT for 2+ years had Fulmer not been fired.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coleman has an advantage over Weeden in terms of physical tools and is much more advanced than Brock Osweiler in terms of mechanics, but playing at a small school hurts him because of the level of competition. However, he has great size, gets zip on his passes, and there is not much work has to be done on his footwork and release, so don't be surprised to see him drafted in the fourth round or so.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reminds me some of John Skelton coming out of Fordham. Big strong kid with a really nice arm. Accuracy is a major problem though. Footwork needs work. I guess as with all the QB's - depends how he does in meetings with teams - but certainly has the tools to think he'll be a mid round pick.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM    (permalink
GoMocs
Rookie

GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.

Hello, I am the admin of www.mocfans.com, fan based forum for UT Chattanooga, where BJ Coleman played. I got to see him play his three years at UTC. Some info on him: four star qb out of high school, ranked number 10 pro style QB in nation out of high school. He signed with his childhood fave team, UTennessee. He redshirted his frosh year, then played a bit his first season behind a senior qb.

Going into his sophmore year UT fired Fulmer and hired Lane Kiffin. They went into the spring practice under Kiffin and the general consensus was that he won the starting job, however, Kiffin prounounced that a senior would start. Word was that Coleman wasn't given the starting job because there was some 5 Star qb that Kiffin was recruiting and having a sophmore as a starting qb would hurt the recruiting of him as he would think he would have to wait for a couple years. After this came out, BJ was blown off three times with appointments with Kiffin to discuss it and got to the point that Kiffin wouldn't even talk to him.

With respect to his senior season, not only did he miss a bunch of games due to an injury, he was playing behind an OL that had three freshmen and two sophmores starting most of the time. He would drop back and have to throw before even setting up much of the time. Other teams exploited the OL by blitzing. It was ugly. I keep the defensive stats for the team so I was watching closely. To get a better picture of him you need to look at his junior year stats.

He measured out at 6-3 and 235 lbs at the Shrine Bowl. He is a good student in class and is supposedly a film junkie, watching upwards of 20 hours of film during season on his own. He is literally the "Eagle Scout" type guy. Crew cut, no tats, says "yes maam" and "yes sir". I have met him, that is who he is.

Last edited by GoMocs : 02-15-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: make hot link work
GoMocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 AM    (permalink
GoMocs
Rookie

GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.GoMocs could make a wolverine purr.

Mel Kiper the other day on BJ, it is about 3:30 into the video here
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM    (permalink
xpmar9x
Rookie

xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'd be a solid early day 3 guy, possibly day 2 if he impresses at Pro-days and combine (if he gets invited). Would be good for a team that could develop him for 2-3 years.
xpmar9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
GoMocs
Rookie

He has been invited to the combine. Has been down in southern Mississippi for a couple months working out at the Brett Favre related QB camp.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Ah, so it was Lane Kiffin to blame. Not surprising.

Welcome to the board, GoMocs. I think Coleman is going to become quite a hot name leading up to the draft.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2nd day? Man, people are overestimating how ready Coleman is for the NFL. He had a good Shrine Game, but didn't exactly emerge in the practices with any consistency.

5th-6th round at best.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
GoMocs
Rookie

I tweeted to one of the scouts who was at both the Shrine and Senior Bowls and practices how BJ would have ranked in the QBs at those games. He said he was number 1 at Shrine and he would have placed fourth at the Senior Bowl. That thread I referenced in my first post has his tweet somewhere in there.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMocs View Post
I tweeted to one of the scouts who was at both the Shrine and Senior Bowls and practices how BJ would have ranked in the QBs at those games. He said he was number 1 at Shrine and he would have placed fourth at the Senior Bowl. That thread I referenced in my first post has his tweet somewhere in there.
The Shrine game QBs weren't anything to write home about. Coleman was the best, but there were only 2 draftable QBs who even played in the game.

As for Senior Bowl, he isn't better than Weeden, Cousins, Foles. Russell Wilson, I'd take him over Coleman too. Coleman on level with Lindley for me.

Even if what you say is true, it doesn't put him higher than the 5th-6th round.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
GoMocs
Rookie

Maybe true...most projections have him 5-6th round, some a bit higher, most have him number 7 in qb lists.

Here is the response tweet I metioned on how Coleman ranked amongst Senior Bowl qbs:

GREAT question.4th after Weeden, Wilson, Cousins RT @gomocs57 After watching Senior Bowl QBs, where'd you rate BJ Coleman in amongst them?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I don't know. Foles and Lindley are really bad. And Wilson and Cousins don't seem to have much upside...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know. Foles and Lindley are really bad. And Wilson and Cousins don't seem to have much upside...
Foles much higher thought of by NFL teams than draftniks I guess. He hasn't pulled away, but he is considered far and away better than Coleman as a prospect. Cousins has some upside, likely goes in the 3rd. You think Coleman goes above him?

And who exactly is the tweet from?

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
GoMocs
Rookie

The tweet was from Eric Galko

Last edited by Shane P. Hallam : 02-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'll heavily disagree with him in that aspect then. Coleman's arm may be a bit more live, but doesn't quite make him a better prospect.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
GoMocs
Rookie

As I posted earlier, here is a link to a thread where BJ Coleman's journey to the NFL is being followed. It has scouting comments, video links, articles, etc.

Lots of info there, some of it is repetitive, but articles from all over.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMocs View Post

Tyler Bray

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coleman is from Chatt-town.

Because of that...well, you know that Andrew Luck guy? Near sighted armless person with an inner ear problem compared to Coleman.

These are just factual facts. And on another note, Jacques Smith is from Ooltewah, so therefore he is not only a good person who smells nice, but is also a future 1st RD pick. Fun fact: Smith came out of Mama Smith's womb with a full beard.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote