Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not too many folks need convincing to want Mario Williams, lol.

Let's say Mario Williams is franchised by the Texans though. What is the suggestion then?

BBD, what is your take on the Cowboys potentially using the franchise tag on Anthony Spencer?

The more I think about it, the more I think our best decision is to trade down in Round 1 and add picks.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
He might not even need the oline to be honest. I think the offense is fine. The days of having a dominant 90s Cowboys type oline are over, that doesn't happen anymore in the FA era.

Look at it this way: Was there an issue in the pass game? No. The Cowboys can fling it with the best of em. Was there an issue in the run game? No, when Murray was healthy, the Cowboys can run it with the best of em.

So the pass game is fine, and the run game is fine. What's the problem? The offense is fine. I would get DeCastro bc he's BPA, and I think having an interior guy is probably going to be important moving forward in the East with the way the East is developing it's dlines (remember how we all stockpiled WRs a couple of years ago? That's happening with dline now, the results will show in a year or 2).
Actually, that's false. There still is a problem with the running game. We had 5 rushing touchdowns all year. That's pathetic. I don't care how much the NFL turns into a passing league, you need to be able to run the football, run it for touchdowns, and be effective in situational football with the running game. The Cowboys are not. It may have looked like it from afar when DeMarco Murray was balling out, but he still only had 2 touchdowns over that 8 game tear he went on. It's a direct fault of the interior OL.

Also, there is a slight problem with the passing game caused by the interior OL. Romo is a short QB. Pressure in his face is what kills him. He can step up or juke out an outside rusher no problem, but when Costa/Nagy/Holland/Kosier get thrown like a rag doll at the snap and he has a guy who is 6'5'' in his face, that's when there are problems. Like you said they need to block the DL's on the East and the rest of the league. Just look at the teams on our schedule next year. Picking one team out in the Ravens, Ngata would be in Romo's lap on every play after throwing Costa 15 feet to the side like a little child. It's not a good situation.

I agree that the offense is good enough to win as is, but it definitely can be improved. When playoffs come around those major flaws could come to the forefront.

The middle of both sides of the ball need more beef. Ratliff needs to move to DE, and the interior OL needs to get better. Period. After thanksgiving they just wear down. Even in the 4th quarter of games early in the season. Our run defense drops significantly in the 4th quarter.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Cowboys have Nicks as their #1 priority over Williams.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I think the Cowboys have Nicks as their #1 priority over Williams.
I think so too. I just hope it comes true. I'm hesitant though because it's one of those things that sounds too good to be true. Here's hoping Callahan can play a role in convincing Nicks to sign with us.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On our interior OL people say we need a guard and a center. I think you add one and that should be good enough. No teams are completely stacked across all 5 OL positions. You have good players that make up for your one weaker link. I will still say it, I want Robinson back but I don't want to spend too much on him. I think we'll be in a good spot because you have these guys that will get more money than he will and his market price will settle down.

-Vincent Jackson
-DeSean Jackson
-Dwayne Bowe
-Wes Welker
-Reggie Wayne
-Marques Colston
-Stevie Johnson
-Brandon Lloyd
-Mario Manningham
-Mike Wallace

IMO he's not gonna get $4-5mi/year with that crop.

At this point I'm more inclined to grab a G in the draft over spending the money on Nicks. If were gonna spend that money in FA, do it on Williams if he doesn't get franchised.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Realistically, what is the market going to be like for Spencer? There seems to be a major lack of 3-4 OLB's in FA. And if you look at stats, he's not that bad. He may end up getting a sizeable deal out there.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
On our interior OL people say we need a guard and a center. I think you add one and that should be good enough. No teams are completely stacked across all 5 OL positions. You have good players that make up for your one weaker link. I will still say it, I want Robinson back but I don't want to spend too much on him. I think we'll be in a good spot because you have these guys that will get more money than he will and his market price will settle down.

-Vincent Jackson
-DeSean Jackson
-Dwayne Bowe
-Wes Welker
-Reggie Wayne
-Marques Colston
-Stevie Johnson
-Brandon Lloyd
-Mario Manningham
-Mike Wallace

IMO he's not gonna get $4-5mi/year with that crop.

At this point I'm more inclined to grab a G in the draft over spending the money on Nicks. If were gonna spend that money in FA, do it on Williams if he doesn't get franchised.
I'm not even sweating #3 WR. Laurent will be resigned and he will be affordable. If not, Dwayne Harris will step up.

As for Nicks, if we can sign him, we do it no questions asked. That is our best plan. I just don't see him leaving is all.

I'm gonna make a mock that includes signing Nicks... Just to see what it feels like. ^_^
Old 02-17-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Realistically, what is the market going to be like for Spencer? There seems to be a major lack of 3-4 OLB's in FA. And if you look at stats, he's not that bad. He may end up getting a sizeable deal out there.
I don't think he'll get anything close to Franchise tag money. We should wait it out and see what he can get first.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I don't think he'll get anything close to Franchise tag money. We should wait it out and see what he can get first.
I'm fully on board with that. I'd much rather sit tight and let the market dictate how much he gets instead of setting the market for him.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be happy to get Nicks, but I'm telling you, if we go into next season with Costa at Center again, it isn't going to matter whose next to him.

I'm with D. Trade down, get a couple of extra picks. Grab Konz and the center position is solid for the next 10 years. Then with the multiple picks later, go heavy on defense.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Could DeCastro play center?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not too many folks need convincing to want Mario Williams, lol.

Let's say Mario Williams is franchised by the Texans though. What is the suggestion then?

BBD, what is your take on the Cowboys potentially using the franchise tag on Anthony Spencer?

The more I think about it, the more I think our best decision is to trade down in Round 1 and add picks.
Horrible idea. You don't pay a guy 10 million for 6 sacks. I understand you're not gonna have a 15 sack guy on each side of the ball in most scenarios, but the bottom line is this:

Isolate the player. Is there anything about Anthony Spencer that screams out 10 million dollars? Absolutely not. He's a mediocre player. A 3-4 version of Ray Edwards. He's a guy that I feel very comfortable putting my RT on with no help.

When you look at it that way and take away the stats, even then he's not worth 10 million.

He's just not worth 10 million. It's not a good move.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Thank you BBD. The average players we've signed throughout the past 5 years (Ayodele, Zach Thomas, Sensabaugh, Elam, Coleman, Brooking, etc.) have gotten us nowhere. We need more store power. I understand you can't have a pro-bowler at every position, but this defense has too many JAGs. We need explosive playmakers. Eli picks us apart because he knows exactly what we are going to do and we can't change it because we are limited athletically. We are not dynamic at all. I don't care about Rob Ryan's garbage "exotic schemes" (which are bogus anyway, you line up and the better team wins) if you have nobody to execute.

As for your post on Romo, completely agree. Get a little better interior OL play and the offense is fine. It's already good enough, and we haven't even had a full season of DeMarco Murray. Laurent Robinson was a great luxury this year, but he's not worth it. He earned himself a nice contract from a team who will overpay for a WR. Good for him. See ya. DeMarco Murray and the running game will fill that hole just fine.

D-Unit, I think Sean Lee with take that roll over hopefully. Not every team has a Ray Lewis, and the Ravens haven't won a super bowl or even been to one in 12 years. I don't call it a super bowl champion pre-requisite.
Was the lack of running TDs on the oline, or the playcalling though? My impressions is you guys like to throw in the redzone. *shrug*
Old 02-17-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Horrible idea. You don't pay a guy 10 million for 6 sacks. I understand you're not gonna have a 15 sack guy on each side of the ball in most scenarios, but the bottom line is this:

Isolate the player. Is there anything about Anthony Spencer that screams out 10 million dollars? Absolutely not. He's a mediocre player. A 3-4 version of Ray Edwards. He's a guy that I feel very comfortable putting my RT on with no help.

When you look at it that way and take away the stats, even then he's not worth 10 million.

He's just not worth 10 million. It's not a good move.
Glad to hear you're in the same boat as I on that issue. FreshBoy and CDCB actually want to use the tag on him. LOL.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Was the lack of running TDs on the oline, or the playcalling though? My impressions is you guys like to throw in the redzone. *shrug*
We had a little discussion on that a couple pages back. I did bring up the playcalling as part of it. It's definitely a part of the equation. In the end, both share part of the blame.

Garrett really has tried to run the ball inside the 5 yard line, but it's beyond just calling run or pass. The design of the running plays called seemed so fundamentally flawed that they were ineffective and forced Garrett to call pass. Our running plays had no misdirection, no movement, no disguise. Just predictable straight ahead runs...and our personnel was just not good enough to push forward. I called Garrett out for that many times during the season. He just didn't seem to have a good array of running plays. 90% of our runs seemed like draws. LOL. But I think he relied on Houck for that and that was part of the problem. Callahan has a good reputation for a solid running game, so I'm extremely excited about what he can bring.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I would be happy to get Nicks, but I'm telling you, if we go into next season with Costa at Center again, it isn't going to matter whose next to him.

I'm with D. Trade down, get a couple of extra picks. Grab Konz and the center position is solid for the next 10 years. Then with the multiple picks later, go heavy on defense.
That's false. Costa would be much better with Nicks next to him.

Now, one of my favorite options on draft day at the moment would be a trade down for Konz, but Costa would be better if we sign Nicks. No doubt about that.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:20 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We threw it because we had no interior OL.... lol come on man.

Jason Garrett is actually more balanced than you think, especially when Murray was healthy.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
FreshBoy and CDCB actually want to use the tag on him. LOL.
Is that what I said? Is it?
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...al-report-says

Dqwell Jackson is out of the picture as a Veteran pick up at ILB
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...dallas-cowboys

I've been thinking about Brandon Carr lately and this reaffirms it for me. Thoughts on him? He wont' come cheap, but plays man well which we need with all the blitzing we do. Good sized CB too. If we opt out of the Mario Williams sweepstakes, I'd put a bid in on Carr.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Is that what I said? Is it?
Sorry. What was it? There's nobody in FA or the draft that's better?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:33 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...dallas-cowboys

I've been thinking about Brandon Carr lately and this reaffirms it for me. Thoughts on him? He wont' come cheap, but plays man well which we need with all the blitzing we do. Good sized CB too. If we opt out of the Mario Williams sweepstakes, I'd put a bid in on Carr.
I'd be thrilled with Carr. Alls I know is we only got a shot at one big named FA... IF that....

Carr, Nicks, Mario....

We could get none of them and I wouldn't be surprised either. Not one bit.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sorry. What was it? There's nobody in FA or the draft that's better?
My stance was that I didn't want him franchised, or back for that matter...but there are a few scenarios where I wouldn't be mad if he was resigned or franchised.

I just don't want him to go and it's another hole they'd have to fill and we miss out on one of the blue chip CB's/OL.

Again, it has more to do with how the front office plays this offseason.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Listening to "The Football Show" on 103.3 ESPN Dallas, it looks like we are getting that compensatory 4th for Stephen Bowen, and Broaddus thinks we are going to make splash in free agency. He thinks it's going to be Carl Nicks.

EDIT: Hey D-Unit:

The Browns, with new DC Dick Jouron, with a lockout, finished as the #10 defense in the league this year. You know what the Brown finished in 2010 under Rob Ryan? 22nd.

This was just brought up on The Football Show. Do the Browns have better players than us too? Laughable. Rob Ryan is a JAG.

They are making a laughing stock our of Rob Ryan right now. I love it. How he proclaimed Spencer was going to go on a tear, we were the best defensive front in the league, etc. LOL. His exotic schemes are a joke.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 02-18-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Listening to "The Football Show" on 103.3 ESPN Dallas, it looks like we are getting that compensatory 4th for Stephen Bowen, and Broaddus thinks we are going to make splash in free agency. He thinks it's going to be Carl Nicks.

EDIT: Hey D-Unit:

The Browns, with new DC Dick Jouron, with a lockout, finished as the #10 defense in the league this year. You know what the Brown finished in 2010 under Rob Ryan? 22nd.

This was just brought up on The Football Show. Do the Browns have better players than us too? Laughable. Rob Ryan is a JAG.

They are making a laughing stock our of Rob Ryan right now. I love it. How he proclaimed Spencer was going to go on a tear, we were the best defensive front in the league, etc. LOL. His exotic schemes are a joke.
This post makes me laugh. hahahaha. LOVE IT.

I hope everyone else sees what I see.