Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.
Default 1st Post/Rams Mock

Hey guys this is my first post here and thought Id do a quick rams mock and see what some real fans think, instead of the guys on the post dispatch forums. Just let me say that I am not going to try to fill all the needs of the team in one year and will also will try to upgrade positions based on the scheme Ive seen Fisher and his coordinators use.

Free agents

Cortland Finnegan - Upgrades two positions, outside and nickel corner. I believe Bartell would play outside in nickel situations.

Jake Scott - Quietly had a good year for the Titans, I'm not sure that he'll be available though.

Leroy Hill - Has some pass rushing ability for Williams aggressive scheme and decent coverage ability. Also makes the Seahawks a weaker team, which is always fun to do.

Draft - Trade with the Browns and receive the 4th, 22nd, 36th and their 5th round pick. I think a bidding war drives the price up, I realize this is unlikely right now, but I'm trying and to predict the future which is hard to do.

4) Blackmon - I'm not worried about his 40 time, I've never seen him caught from behind and he runs beautiful routes. Great for a west coast offense.

22) Fletcher Cox - MSU lined him up in 1, 3, 5 and 7 techniques to create match up problems and almost always to the strong side. Great one gap UT as a rookie and has the potential to command two down the road.

33) Doug Martin - This kid runs hard and has experience pass blocking and running safety routes. Schotty used the two back set in NY.

36) Harrison Smith - Very disciplined player that didnt get beat deep in college and a solid tackler. Mikell plays free safety in Williams scheme because of his great range. This pushes both Dahl and Stewart to get better.

66) Ben Jones - Strong and smart center. I'm worried about his pass blocking but if hes flanked by Dahl and Scott this will make the middle of the line pretty solid.

96) Sean Spence/Mychael Kendricks - One of the other of these undersized but instinctive LBers. Both have potential in coverage and ST. I havent seen much tape on Spence, but I have on Kendricks and he is not a Mike in the NFL. He doesnt have the strength right now to take on NFL guards and most good FBs, but put him in at Will and the kid can make plays.

Rounds 5 - 7) Pretty much a crapshoot, hopefully some ST contributors.

Saffold and Smith stay at LT and RT. Schotty's WC offense gets the ball out quick and they are not exposed as much. Saffold was a rookie pro bowl reserve when he played in a WC, Smith restructures his contract and gets one more shot starting in the NFL. Brandon Lloyd I think goes to NE, Gibson may start at 2nd WR, but with Amendola healthy and Blackmon drawing coverage he consistently gets the weakest corner on the field covering him.

Like I said at the top, you cant fix everything in one year, but this was my best shot. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
Juice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a big fan of Blackmon that high, other than that it's a pretty solid offseason. Good job man and welcome to the forum!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the trade will go down with Washington. They will be willing to pony up more picks in the end, and I think they are just less gun-shy when it comes to making a deal. And, in the long run, it will be a better deal. We would likely get a pair of 1s, a two and a three. While that would be more than the Giants gave up for Eli, the Redskins have already made a colossal mistake by showing their hand and announcing that they would be willing to pay big for Griffin. Remember how well that worked for Mike Ditka? The Saints gave up way more than they needed to for Ricky Williams.

In any case, while the trade with Cleveland would give them a better spot this season, the 2013 pick from Washington will end up being way more valuable than this year's #22 pick from Cleveland.

As far as the draft goes, I see the Rams taking a best-player-available approach. I think this is a very knowledgeable group we have put together and there will not be any reaches like we have had in the past. Especially in the next few drafts, we have a bit of an advantage in that we have needs at many positions, so team need can really be thrown out the window. I see our needs being addressed through free agency while the draft is used to vastly improve our overall team talent level. So, while the rest of the world has already penciled in Justin Blackmon as our #1 pick, I don't think it is a given at all unless our FO believes that he is the best football player available whenever it is that we choose.

Some players that I really like, in no particular order...

David DeCastro, G, Stanford - I think he is the best offensive lineman in this draft, and he almost makes me wish we would trade down with Seattle. I said ALMOST.

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis - I have heard nothing but positive about this guy in the last few weeks. Could be the kind of trench warrior that OC's hate to face.

Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin - I know that our interior line isn't as big of a need as other positions, but I really like lunchpail linemen who can make the running game go, and he is a really good one.

Lamar Miller, RB, Miami - This guy has a lot of things that are hard to come by in a back: quickness, speed, vision, the ability to change directions, toughness. He is being compared to Clinton Portis and I don't think that is far off. I wish he would fall to the 2nd round but I don't see it happening.

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon - I see more of a receiver out of the backfield and less of a pure runner than Miller, but that may actually be a better fit as a compliment to Jackson. Could fall to the 3rd as the bigger backs, specifically Martin and Polk, have seen their stock rise.

Robert Turbin, RB, Utah St. - Big, strong, powerful, athletic. If we were to take another big back, I like him in the 5th round over Martin in the 2nd.

Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple - Ditto Robert Turbin.

Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech - The Rams need a WR project like Jay Leno needs another collector car, but this guy's tools put him head and shoulders above the talent level of the rest of the Rams' corps of receivers. In a couple of years he could be considered the best receiver from this draft.

Hebron Fangupu, DT, BYU - Great size, decent mobility, a strong motor and a great work ethic. What more could you ask for from a mid-round DT? Could be a strong competitor right out of the gates.

Demario Davis, OLB, Arkansas St - A little on the small side (6'2", 235) with great speed (4.61) and super strong for his size (32 reps). Used to winning. Could be a strong contributor and may be had in the 4-6 range.

Tank Carder, ILB, TCU - TCU linebackers rarely get much attention, but they all have something in common: dependability. They play hard, have a nose for the ball, are sure tacklers, stay in position and play well within the system. We absolutely do not need an ILB. But with a 3rd day pick, this guy would be a great addition to the team.

Josh Robinson, CB, UCF - Great speed, especially recovery speed. Ran the fastest time at the combine for a CB. Has decent ball skills as well. I like him in the 3rd round.

Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon - They say he needs a 24 hour babysitter, he's out of control, a headcase, off the hook, misses team meetings. His teammates say he is a great friend and a good kid. He may not have what it takes to be a disciplined pro. Then again, he may come in with a huge chip on his shoulder after falling completely out of the draft and becoming an UDFA. I like the chances of the latter happening for some reason, I don't know why. Maybe it's just a hunch...a tactic by which many crimes outside of Beverly Hills get solved.

Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette - A bit on the frail side, and will need to get stronger at the next level. Has excellent speed and quickness, with a fantastic burst. Hails from Pahokee, Florida, also known as "The Muck." Young boys chase rabbits in the Summer to help feed their families and claim this as the reason why so many fast football players come from the area. 2nd pick, 6th round.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.

We like a lot of the same players, but Im really high on Blackmon and Martin. Blackmon I see as somewhere in between Nicks and Fitz, that warrants a high pick to me bc. I see him making multiple pro bowls. I like Martin because his play style is similar to Jacksons. I dont feel you have to have a change of pace back to make a more dynamic offense, two similar backs that both run hard and can catch the football doesnt allow a defense to pick up on plays based on the package in the game.

What if Miami somehow was able to offer up enough to picks to move up? I know theres not a chance of that at the moment, but Decastro and Poe would very likely be the highest rated players on the board, both could make multiple pro bowls
Juice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Miami could be a player. #8 isn't that far back, although it takes us out of position for Blackmon and Claiborne. Miami would really have to want Griffin.

I hear what you are saying about Martin. I think, though, that speed is a bigger need at this point. It is what we are lacking on offense in our playmakers. I think we need the RB that keeps defenses honest with his homerun ability, and a WR who stretches the field.

DeCastro is my favorite player in this draft. My ideal draft would be if we were to trade down with Cleveland and get their two #1's, then trade down a second time to Seattle or KC, and take DeCastro and Miller, and then Stephen Hill in the 2nd.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote