Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who does Jacksonville take at #7? (if not listed, post who you think)
Riley Reiff 8 12.90%
Melvin Ingram 6 9.68%
Courtney Upshaw 4 6.45%
Ryan Tannehill 0 0%
David DeCastro 6 9.68%
Kendall Wright 14 22.58%
Stephen Hill 4 6.45%
Kirkpatrick, Floyd, or Coples (Smith changes his tune) 16 25.81%
a DT because it's BPA 2 3.23%
Someone else rises (please post who) 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Sideline View's Adam Caplan suggests Baylor WR Kendall Wright's slow "official" (4.61) forty time at the Combine was due in large part to an inability to get cleanly out of his stance.
"Keep in mind he won't be playing out of a track stance at the next level," wrote Caplan. Wright was hand-timed as fast as 4.45, and he plays in the 4.3-4.4 range in games. "He’s the most explosive wide receiver in this draft and it’s not even close," Caplan adds. "...Any scouting staff that drops his draft grade significantly after one subpar workout should not keep their jobs."
Source: The Sideline View
Feb 28 - 1:10 PM
Relevant, especially since Smith doesn't care where the internet has a guy ranked.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, I think Wright very well may be the pick. I don't care much for 40 times and he plays much faster than what he ran

it's more a personal thing where I'm not that big of a wright fan, but he's a very viable option at 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
well coples blows and will bust, so there's that. Wright disappointed with his 40 (not like that's super important, but still), blackmon probably won't be there and Dre' and Gilmore arent top 10 values.

2 of the best LB'ers in the league? Smith I give you...but who's the 2nd? Poz? yeah...ok, he's not even a top 20 lb'er.

Why would decastro not be a good pick? Because he's a guard? He's someone who would improve that OL drastically to start on day 1. Martin or Reiff would work too. I don't get the whole "he's a guard thing". Dude's the 2nd most talented guy in the draft and would open up more holes for MJD and be protection for Gabbert (not like it matters, but still)
Clint Session will be back as the starting WLB. He signed a 5 year deal last year with 11.5 million guaranteed. Poz was their leading tackler and also got a new deal last year, 6 years 42 million + 15 mill guaranteed.

Luke Kuechly IMO might be in this discussion if not for the new contacts put out in July.

Decastro, Martin and Reiff can be in the discussion however and if not they will look at WR's or DE's as there is no value at corner for them unless Claiborne falls.
H.O.O.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm not slotting Kuechly in here because they do have bigger needs. Forget about Session, but neither him nor Poz are top of the league LB'ers. that's just silly.

I think it's gonna be between an OL and WR like Wright...but who knows with Gene calling the shots.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard Britton might go to guard, so Reiff will make the most sense if that happens. They're all going to get fired anyway after Gabbert plays them into a top 3 pick, so they might as well try to take the most pro-ready guy available.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
IrishBrowns
Rookie

IrishBrowns hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I definitely doesn't help his stock but it doesn't hurt it as much as people are making out.

There is a difference between Kendall Wright running 4.6 when everytime you put on the tape he looks like one of the fastest guys on the field, and say if Blackmon had run 4.65/4.7.

If a guy looks like he may have issues with speed on tape and runs slow it confirms your opinion on him. If a guy looks like a burner and runs poorly you just have to rewatch the tape or wait until they run again.

Remember Joe Haden always looked like one of the fastest guys on the field and ran 4.57 at the combine. It didn't really hurt his stock.
Yeah, just saying 3 weeks ago he was a top 20 pick..But it seems with the heightened hype around RGIII, that has helped Wright's draft status as well.

Also, Blackmon is extremely fast as well, and I think he plays faster than his 40 time. Just was curious how it had raised. I know after Haden ran his their were a quite of bit of skeptics from Browns fans...cuz we wanted a phenomenal athlete/freak. and it turns out Haden is a freak. So yeah, I understand what you're saying. I just think ultimately the hype around RGIII has helped Wright's draft position as well
IrishBrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'm not slotting Kuechly in here because they do have bigger needs. Forget about Session, but neither him nor Poz are top of the league LB'ers. that's just silly.

I think it's gonna be between an OL and WR like Wright...but who knows with Gene calling the shots.
I don't think those guys are in the discussion as top players at their position but both players are good in this system and there is no need to look to upgrade them. They have more pressing needs.

Don't rule out DE for the Jags. It could be Coples or it could even be another Alualu situation, where they like their guy moreso than where most will feel his value truly lies.
H.O.O.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I didn't add Coples because he didn't show great football character (lack of effort at times/rumors of playing not to get injured this season/the whole UNC team quit). I'm not sure if Smith views those red flags as different from off-field ones (I could argue they are WORSE). Also, Coples' senior year tape doesn't scream 7th overall... .
If Coples played to his physical potential he'd be a top 3 lock. Getting him at 7 is kind of a steal.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
If Coples played to his physical potential he'd be a top 3 lock. Getting him at 7 is kind of a steal.
but that is an absolute tremendous if. hence why I think he's going to bust. It's just not always there for him which is incredibly frustrating.

that and that ugly ass brand thing but that's a whole other story...
Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Dallas357
Rookie

Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dallas357 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well coples blows and will bust, so there's that. Wright disappointed with his 40 (not like that's super important, but still), blackmon probably won't be there and Dre' and Gilmore arent top 10 values.

2 of the best LB'ers in the league? Smith I give you...but who's the 2nd? Poz? yeah...ok, he's not even a top 20 lb'er.

Why would decastro not be a good pick? Because he's a guard? He's someone who would improve that OL drastically to start on day 1. Martin or Reiff would work too. I don't get the whole "he's a guard thing". Dude's the 2nd most talented guy in the draft and would open up more holes for MJD and be protection for Gabbert (not like it matters, but still)
You didn't watch poz play last year then.
Yes because he's a guard, and their guards are good. And monroe and britton at the tackles are solid. OL isn't the issue. Guard or Lb doesn't improve the team that much from what they have. You don't take lb when you have d smith, and signed poz and clint session last off season. You just don't take one at 7 when it's not even a need at all.

Wr or Cb. Maybe de depending what they do in fa. I think blackmon falls to 7 anyway.
Dallas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
csice
Rookie

csice hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas357 View Post
Yes because he's a guard, and their guards are good. And monroe and britton at the tackles are solid. OL isn't the issue. Guard or Lb doesn't improve the team that much from what they have. You don't take lb when you have d smith, and signed poz and clint session last off season. You just don't take one at 7 when it's not even a need at all.

Wr or Cb. Maybe de depending what they do in fa. I think blackmon falls to 7 anyway.
Agreed, as far as 4-3 MLB's go, Poz is near the top. Assuming neither Blackmon or Claiborne fall, I'm thinking it will either be Wright, Floyd, Ingram, or maybe even Reiff.
csice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas357 View Post

I was never on the LB to Jax at 7 train anyway...I'm just saying Poz isn't a top 20 LB in the league. he's very good, but he's not even top 20, so you need to relax a little on that one. LB isn't a weakness for them at all.

I still think Decastro would help that OL and offense tremendously
Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
TheSlinger
Rookie

TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was never on the LB to Jax at 7 train anyway...I'm just saying Poz isn't a top 20 LB in the league. he's very good, but he's not even top 20, so you need to relax a little on that one.
Yeah, he is, easily.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlinger View Post
Yeah, he is, easily.
i'm not going to hi-jack this thread with what will turn into a linebacker debate, but there are easily 10-15 LB'ers i can name without thinking better than Poz, and easily another 5-10 if I sat down and thought through all the teams, but agree to disagree. And even still, top 20 isn't a "top LB" like he was claimed to be anyway...

one thing we all know is, Gene Smith will keep us on the edge of our seats
Quote: