Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
If were gonna pay $10/year for a corner, I'd rather go with Carr. But even then that's a lot of cash.
I don't want to pay $10M for a corner. Especially not Carr. Reminds me of Anthony Henry all over again. ...in that, I don't know if we're gonna get the player that we're paying for.

$10M a year??? That's a couple dollars shy of landing a Mario Williams type deal.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Price of a starting CB in FA isn't going to be cheap. At this point I'd rather try to work out a deal with Newman to stay on as the vet and then bring in another top 100 cornerback to compete and now we have a decent stable of corners. Maybe squeeze another year out of Newman if he isn't on the field every snap this should allow us to get a few quality snaps out of him still. If he doesn't want a different deal then I really don't see what other choice we have. We aren't going to be able to find a bargain at CB in FA I don't think.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I don't want to pay $10M for a corner. Especially not Carr. Reminds me of Anthony Henry all over again. ...in that, I don't know if we're gonna get the player that we're paying for.

$10M a year??? That's a couple dollars shy of landing a Mario Williams type deal.
I'd easily spend a little bit more on Williams as opposed to one of those corners at $10mi. I'd actually prefer to have Kirkpatrick or Jenkins than those guys. I just don't see what more either of them will give us.

Plus I just feel we need to build our team better from the draft instead of trying to buy our talent in FA. If you look at most of the super bowl winning teams as of late, most of their corp players come from the draft. And they add role player via FA. Granted you have the exceptions like Brees, Woodson, etc.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Price of a starting CB in FA isn't going to be cheap. At this point I'd rather try to work out a deal with Newman to stay on as the vet and then bring in another top 100 cornerback to compete and now we have a decent stable of corners. Maybe squeeze another year out of Newman if he isn't on the field every snap this should allow us to get a few quality snaps out of him still. If he doesn't want a different deal then I really don't see what other choice we have. We aren't going to be able to find a bargain at CB in FA I don't think.
Unless we steal Terrell Thomas from the Giants. He can play and it hurts the Giants. I don't get why this hasn't been talked about more. Unfortunately I doubt he is even on their radar. He's young too. Of course Jerry probably doesn't even know he's a free agent.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Unless we steal Terrell Thomas from the Giants. He can play and it hurts the Giants. I don't get why this hasn't been talked about more. Unfortunately I doubt he is even on their radar. He's young too. Of course Jerry probably doesn't even know he's a free agent.
It's been talked about a good bit here, just not a ton over the last few weeks. For me, I pass on him. He's coming off an ACL injury. I'd only get him if it's cheap and coupled with Kirkpatrick or Jenkins.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's been talked about a good bit here, just not a ton over the last few weeks. For me, I pass on him. He's coming off an ACL injury. I'd only get him if it's cheap and coupled with Kirkpatrick or Jenkins.
Obviously i'm talking mid rounds. Come in as the 4th corner behind Scandrick where he isn't asked to do much and he may pay off in a year or two.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Can't argue with replacing Newman with Thomas. a vet with starting experience...it's just got to be someone and hopefully they don't cost an arm and a leg

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no problem paying Carr that money. Dude is like 26.

Than I'd be fine with a laundry list of non-corners in the 1st.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd easily spend a little bit more on Williams as opposed to one of those corners at $10mi. I'd actually prefer to have Kirkpatrick or Jenkins than those guys. I just don't see what more either of them will give us.

Plus I just feel we need to build our team better from the draft instead of trying to buy our talent in FA. If you look at most of the super bowl winning teams as of late, most of their corp players come from the draft. And they add role player via FA. Granted you have the exceptions like Brees, Woodson, etc.
I agree with that.

This is the exact reason why I keep saying we would be better off using our 1st rounder on a highly paid position. ...like CB or DE or OLB ...not Guard.

Cap savings FTW.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-from-49ers/

Brooks signed a 6 yr ext with the Niners. That's a good fit for him.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I have no problem paying Carr that money. Dude is like 26.

Than I'd be fine with a laundry list of non-corners in the 1st.
I personnally love this CB class, with a ton of players available beyond the 1st. But I'm not up and up with Carr as a player.

It's seems we'd be investing in his promise moreso than his current ability. Is he really a Top 5 CB? That sounds like Top 5 CB money.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-from-49ers/

Brooks signed a 6 yr ext with the Niners. That's a good fit for him.
$7M per year... bench mark for Spencer?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I agree with that.

This is the exact reason why I keep saying we would be better off using our 1st rounder on a highly paid position. ...like CB or DE or OLB ...not Guard.

Cap savings FTW.
Robert Quinn went #14 last year and got a 5 year 10 million dollar deal....unless you are picking in the top 5 I don't think cap is a concern at all. But I understand your argument...better to find starters at high paying positions in the draft rather then overpay for them in FA.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Some good comedy for you all

http://richeisen.nfl.com/2012/02/28/...headline_stack
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Robert Quinn went #14 last year and got a 5 year 10 million dollar deal....unless you are picking in the top 5 I don't think cap is a concern at all. But I understand your argument...better to find starters at high paying positions in the draft rather then overpay for them in FA.
Thanks you. Another case of D-Unit not knowing what he is talking about. After the top ten guys start to make less than 2 million a year. Doesn't matter what position you pick at all. Even the top 10 is relatively cheap now. Cam Newton isn't even making 4 million in any year of his rookie deal. He's making 1.4 this year. Position doesn't matter at all.

On the lunch break they just addressed jerry's interview and he said NT is not a need at all "because they have Ratliff." That makes me so freakin' angry. I really hope Stephen Jones and Garrett can talk him out of that. The sad part is that Rob Ryan's stupid, overrate self probably think Ratliff is fine too.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks you. Another case of D-Unit not knowing what he is talking about. After the top ten guys start to make less than 2 million a year. Doesn't matter what position you pick at all. Even the top 10 is relatively cheap now. Cam Newton isn't even making 4 million in any year of his rookie deal. He's making 1.4 this year. Position doesn't matter at all.

On the lunch break they just addressed jerry's interview and he said NT is not a need at all "because they have Ratliff." That makes me so freakin' angry. I really hope Stephen Jones and Garrett can talk him out of that. The sad part is that Rob Ryan's stupid, overrate self probably think Ratliff is fine too.
Just playing devils advocate ... He said it isn't a need, never said it wouldn't be an option. The team knows Ratliff is undersized and they know he is creeping up on the wrong side of 30. They also know they are in bed with him for 48 mil 16 guaranteed. Of course they are going to say he is 'their guy' and I'm sure they mean it [b]until[b] they find someone who can out perform him.

That being said they will ride Ratliff into the sunset but if they find a player someone the scouting dept thinks can be dominant they will find a way to make it work.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 02-28-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
$7M per year... bench mark for Spencer?
That's why I think we have to draft OLBer in the first two rounds. There will be a good one at one of those spots.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Oh geeeeeeezzzzzz.....

Hellloooooooo????

The FACT that 1st rounders are SO DAMN CHEAP IS THE REASON WHY WE NEED TO DRAFT PLAYERS WHO PLAY A PREMIUM RATE POSITION!!!!!

THAT'S WHERE THE SAVINGS IS!

The franchise tag is the average of the Top 5 at that position.

For Guard it would be $6.5M. For DE it would be $12M.

Certain positions cost more to address than others. Therefore using the 1st round to fill those expensive positions makes more sense. If you don't get that point, then there's no sense talking to you.

If you don't care about cap management, then go ahead and draft your Guard in Round 1. I think it's stupid... especially for a team like ours with so many needs. We'll run out of money real fast and end up with more mediocre talent on defense because we can't afford to spend.

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-28-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And by the cap savings I think D-unit meant use a 1st on a position that would cost a lot in the open market. That way you have 4 years at a premium savings at a position that would cost $$$ to pick up in free agency.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
And by the cap savings I think D-unit meant use a 1st on a position that would cost a lot in the open market. That way you have 4 years at a premium savings at a position that would cost $$$ to pick up in free agency.
^ THIS .
Old 02-28-2012, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's another interesting name - Sergio Kindle.

He's restricted and I have not idea what Balt plans to do with him, but he's a very talented dude. If they put a 3rd or something on him, I might give that a look.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Here's another interesting name - Sergio Kindle.

He's restricted and I have not idea what Balt plans to do with him, but he's a very talented dude. If they put a 3rd or something on him, I might give that a look.
Is he still injured ?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh geeeeeeezzzzzz.....

Hellloooooooo????

The FACT that 1st rounders are SO DAMN CHEAP IS THE REASON WHY WE NEED TO DRAFT PLAYERS WHO PLAY A PREMIUM RATE POSITION!!!!!

THAT'S WHERE THE SAVINGS IS!

The franchise tag is the average of the Top 5 at that position.

For Guard it would be $6.5M. For DE it would be $12M.

Certain positions cost more to address than others. Therefore using the 1st round to fill those expensive positions makes more sense. If you don't get that point, then there's no sense talking to you.

If you don't care about cap management, then go ahead and draft your Guard in Round 1. I think it's stupid... especially for a team like ours with so many needs. We'll run out of money real fast and end up with more mediocre talent on defense because we can't afford to spend.
I agree with you for the most part. However, if at 14 your board says Guard is the BPA, then you should take him.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Is he still injured ?
He's healthy, but could maybe benefit from a change of scenery.

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/the...yet-25547.html

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree with you for the most part. However, if at 14 your board says Guard is the BPA, then you should take him.
A board that is built the RIGHT WAY factors in positional cost. ...so in that case, yes, if BPA is Guard, then you go that route.

But I have a whole different mindset about a board than thinking that it's a strict rule to follow.

My feelings about a board is that it is a "moving" list.... and that it becomes adjustable as the draft proceeds. The draft is an unpredictable event and with it, you have to make decisions on the fly. If a certain position of need starts to get depleted, you may shift your board around and put guys higher than you initially planned. Or in that same situation, you might place guys at another position lower on your board because the crop is larger than you had planned. That's just one example, there will be trades and a lot of movement...but basically... it boils down to whether you did your homework and do you really know the players or not. If you do, then you can have confidence and not feel like you have to "stick to your board or face failure".