Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Cowboys Prospect Comparisons

Last combine this article came out on nfl.com and I think it's a fairly accurate way to look at past and future prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...s&confirm=true

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this. But how does Melvin Ingram Stack up against Ware and Spencer and the position

40-yard dash Speed over distance
Target - 4.70
Ware - 4.56
Spencer - 4.70
Ingram - 4.79

225-pound bench press reps Upper body strength
Target - 23
Ware - 27
Spencer - 30
Ingram - 28

Vertical jump Explosiveness, leg strength
Target- 36
Ware - 38.5
Spencer - 32.5
Ingram - 34.5

Broad jump Explosiveness, leg strength
Target- 9-9
Ware - 10-2
Spencer - 9-4
Ingram - 9-1

20-yard shuttle Flexibility, burst, balance
Target- 4.10
Ware - 4.07
Spencer - 4.43
Ingram - 4.18

3-cone drill Agility, change of direction
Target- 7.10
Ware - 6.85
Spencer - 7.14
Ingram - 6.83

Using just the numbers. I think it's safe to say Ingram offers more agility and change of direction over spencer and spencer has him in straightline speed and strength.

To me I'd lean for a little more quickness and agillity out of a rusher I think because think about how many times spencer has been just a milisecond late....with that extra agility maybe those are sacks.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 02-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did a study of DE combine numbers since 2005 last night. Nobody came even close to grading out the way Ware graded out. He really was a marvel.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who blew up the combine? I'm looking at Bruce Irvin...top in his group in almost every catagory. Reached the target in everything but vertical jump.

Combine Measurements
Demarcus Ware - 6-4 251
Bruce Irvin - 6'3 245

Target - 4.70
Ware - 4.56
Bruce Irvin - 4.50

Target - 23
Ware - 27
Bruce Irvin - 23

Target- 36
Ware - 38.5
Bruce Irvin - 33.5

Target- 9-9
Ware - 10-2
Bruce Irvin - 10-3

Target- 4.10
Ware - 4.07
Bruce Irvin - 4.03

Target- 7.10
Ware - 6.85
Bruce Irvin - 6.70

Give Irvin a year under a strength coach and I think you can add more to his lower half. His weak point was his vert and I have a feeling it was because he needs to add more strength to his lower half. He's a twitch athlete like Ware but he's not quite as strong or as far along. This is my darkhorse.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Who blew up the combine? I'm looking at Bruce Irvin...top in his group in almost every catagory. Reached the target in everything but vertical jump.

Combine Measurements
Demarcus Ware - 6-4 251
Bruce Irvin - 6'3 245

Target - 4.70
Ware - 4.56
Bruce Irvin - 4.50

Target - 23
Ware - 27
Bruce Irvin - 23

Target- 36
Ware - 38.5
Bruce Irvin - 33.5

Target- 9-9
Ware - 10-2
Bruce Irvin - 10-3

Target- 4.10
Ware - 4.07
Bruce Irvin - 4.03

Target- 7.10
Ware - 6.85
Bruce Irvin - 6.70

Give Irvin a year under a strength coach and I think you can add more to his lower half. His weak point was his vert and I have a feeling it was because he needs to add more strength to his lower half. He's a twitch athlete like Ware but he's not quite as strong or as far along. This is my darkhorse.
Gotta love a Mountie
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn those Irvin numbers are off the charts! I really like Ingram though. Right now I'm favoring Decastro over him, but I'd be very happy with Ingram as well.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love me some Irvin in the 3rd round.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Combine Measurements
Demarcus Ware - 6-4 251
Bruce Irvin - 6'3 245

Target - 4.70
Ware - 4.56
Bruce Irvin - 4.50

Target - 23
Ware - 27
Bruce Irvin - 23

Target- 36
Ware - 38.5
Bruce Irvin - 33.5

Target- 9-9
Ware - 10-2
Bruce Irvin - 10-3

Target- 4.10
Ware - 4.07
Bruce Irvin - 4.03

Target- 7.10
Ware - 6.85
Bruce Irvin - 6.70

I wouldn't mind picking Irvin to be our successor for Ware. People need to remember Ware is turning 30. He won't be around forever. Irvin is not going to be a strong side linebacker. Let him learn from Ware to be our weak side 'backer of the future. He'd be a hell of a 3rd rounder if he's there. Throw him on the field on 3rd and long and just let him use his athleticism until he develops into a complete player.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Irvin will be there in the 3rd although if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time. I think our 2nd would be more of a realistic landing spot, he's a tough guy to scout because he was just a terrible fit in WVU's defense. His speed rush off the edge is pretty undeniable though and even if that's all you can do that still carries some legit value.

I was more pleased with his weigh-in than his test numbers, 6-3 245 is pretty ideal for a standup LB and should ease some of the concerns about him holding up at the POA. I think most expected him to weigh in closer to 230.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Irvin did flash some fancy stuff at the combine. I'm still a little standoffish about him, but I can see the potential. There are other guys I prefer in Rounds 2-3 though.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What type of defense did WVU play?

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
What type of defense did WVU play?
3-3-5 was their base set

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you are a fan of using targets for drafting as well as tape (I am) another guy you have to look at is...

Jake Bequette. Seems our initial interviewing/scouting is on the money. He hit every mark and after he does his bench he could join Ingram as a "4 mark guy". SackSEER certainly isn't infallible but I love the correlation between high marks and NFL production.

27 reps and he'd hit all the marks.

Quote:
SackSEER’s other workout metric is the short shuttle run. The drill measures change-of-direction speed, burst, and hip flexibility, which are understandably important to rushing the passer. DeMarcus Ware had a jaw-dropping short shuttle of 4.07 seconds, Aaron Schobel ran the shuttle in 4.03 seconds, and Kyle Vanden Bosch ran the shuttle in 4.08 seconds. No elite edge rusher has emerged from any round of the NFL Draft since at least 1999 with a short shuttle slower than 4.42 seconds.
Important to note. Bequette ran the exact same time in the short shuttle. His 4.82 may not be impressive but timing only JUST behind Irvin for the top time in the short shuttle AND 3 cone speaks to his ability to move.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...the-microscope
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

If you're looking at measurables, Nick Perry joins the conversation.

I just don't like him a lot because he'll get 3 sacks one game and then disappear for the next 4 games. He might do better in the NFL than he did in college though, so I'd hate to completely write him off. He does show up big in big games.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
If you are a fan of using targets for drafting as well as tape (I am) another guy you have to look at is...

Jake Bequette. Seems our initial interviewing/scouting is on the money. He hit every mark and after he does his bench he could join Ingram as a "4 mark guy". SackSEER certainly isn't infallible but I love the correlation between high marks and NFL production.

27 reps and he'd hit all the marks.

Important to note. Bequette ran the exact same time in the short shuttle. His 4.82 may not be impressive but timing only JUST behind Irvin for the top time in the short shuttle AND 3 cone speaks to his ability to move.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...the-microscope
I think he's going to be a steal if he lasts where these mock drafters are rating him (Round 5).
Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Perry came out and said he would prefer to play in a 4-3 defense. Not saying he wouldn't play for the 3-4 but he really looked stiff in the position drills to me...not fluid and COD wasn't that good either.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Perry came out and said he would prefer to play in a 4-3 defense. Not saying he wouldn't play for the 3-4 but he really looked stiff in the position drills to me...not fluid and COD wasn't that good either.
Perry runs fast in a straight line. He scares me to death in a 3-4.

Quote:
No elite edge rusher has emerged from any round of the NFL Draft since at least 1999 with a short shuttle slower than 4.42 seconds.
Perry's time? 4.66.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM    (permalink
smith22
Rookie

smith22 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
While watching Path to the Draft, they said he seemed stiff/uncomfortable and more of a 4-3 type guy.
smith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Might as well add Mercilus to this list since I think we might be targeting him.

Target - 4.70
Ware - 4.56
Spencer - 4.70
Ingram - 4.79
Mercilus - 4.68

Target - 23
Ware - 27
Spencer - 30
Ingram - 28
Mercilus - 27

Target- 36
Ware - 38.5
Spencer - 32.5
Ingram - 34.5
Mercilus - 32

Target- 9-9
Ware - 10-2
Spencer - 9-4
Ingram - 9-1
Mercilus - 9-10

Target- 4.10
Ware - 4.07
Spencer - 4.43
Ingram - 4.18
Mercilus - 4.46

Target- 7.10
Ware - 6.85
Spencer - 7.14
Ingram - 6.83
Mercilus - 7.04

When I look at just the numbers and how his numbers stack up against the others I see a couple of things that stick out.

He rated above the target in the 40, bench, broad, 3-cone.
He rated below the target in the vert and 20 yard shuttle.

Quote:
One NFL person, however, told us that after Tuesday's workout there's "no doubt that he can play upright as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme."

Mercilus showed excellent conditioning through a grueling defensive line drill. During linebacker drills, he "picked up coaching well," according to an NFL source, which eases concerns about him making the switch to linebacker.

Another NFL person told us that Mercilus "worked out like a first-round pick today.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1pi9K6vUT
He's a guy who is actually probably a little more suited for the strong side imo. Much like Aldon was last year.

But that said I think you can see why Ingram is the higher rated rusher and will be taken higher on draft day. He has that sack artist quickness...Mercilus will stack the edge and chase more plays down on the strong side. I think this is why dallas might target him over some of the other rushers.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Love Mercilus. Would make me very happy on draft day if we drafted him at 14.

CDCB would probably dig a grave though.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Love Mercilus. Would make me very happy on draft day if we drafted him at 14.

CDCB would probably dig a grave though.
I'm just afraid he was a one hit wonder.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher