Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Put me down on team BBD. This is going to get made into a way bigger deal than it actually is.

It goes back to the fundamental flaw of saying 'player safety is our top priority' when the nature of this sport has elements of violence and danger.

Last edited by TACKLE : 03-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/36ey8a/

Last edited by Bulldogs : 03-02-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Bulldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Wow, I go to lunch and this is what I miss. Obviously if the Saints were intentionally trying to injure players, they should and will be penalized. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, however, to offer incentive for big hits, so long as those hits aren't done with the specific intention of injuring people. As someone who played football are a somewhat decent level (Canada, damn) for a long time, I can tell you fairly confidently that there's a really big (and cognizant) difference between aiming to intimidate and aiming to injure. Football is a physical game and there's an injury risk every time you step on the field, but there's no reason to step beyond that and try and make it intentional. That kind of behaviour underscores the physical nature of the game. Im not watching to see people hurt, I dunno about you guys.
This. You can play physical and imtimidate, without injuring people. There are "woo" hits every Sunday that guys bounce back up off the turf from because their clean, hard fundemental hits. But having a bingo sheet for "cart offs" and "knock-out" hits just looks like your trying to do more than just play a good, physical game. That word "intent" carries a lot burden when you start doing things of that nature. If your keeping a score card, one might think that the intent behind those hits were to injury and thus, get paid......and that's a problem.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This article carries alot more weight now.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...ied-injure-him
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Put me down on team BBD. This is going to get made into a way bigger deal than it actually is.

It goes back to the fundamental flaw of saying 'player safety is our top priority' when the nature of this sport has elements of violence and danger.
This, its not like the saints players were going after players knees.When Kurt Warner got hurt it was a clean hit.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
I read this, but my problem with this is why are they getting paid for other players getting carted off at all? So if a guy gets hit and breaks his neck, never walks again, that is a good thing, and is rewarded by the Saints with $?
We don't know specifics of the payment system yet. We may never know exactly how it worked.

It could be that Player A hit Player B cleanly and resulted in Player B getting carted off, and Player A was rewarded for making the hit. The hit resulted in an injury, but was not necessarily the sole reason why payment was made.

Or it could be a scenario where Player A purposely injured Player B after the whistle that resulted in a cart off, and was injured for that specific reason of getting him carted off the field. In this situation, what they did was clearly wrong.

Or it could be a scenario in the middle.

The truth is, we DON'T KNOW, and from the statements issued by the NFL, it sounds like the first scenario stated where the payments were part of a performance plan was the most likely scenario. That is what their statements are implying.

And until I'm provided with more evidence to show that the accusations getting thrown around by the media and in this thread are true, I'm going to assume that the first scenario is what happened because thats basically what the NFL is stating at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
I could be wrong but I have yet to read anyone state that the bonuses were mutually exclusive. At the moment you're making the assumption that the 1,000 for the cart off isn't an added bonus to the 1,500 knockout.
This is true as well. Again, we don't know. But I think it's unfair to assume that right now. Based off of what we know right here right now, I don't see anything wrong with what they did.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BOUNTYGATE

WATERBOUNTY

Am I doing this right?
Steady Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As punishment I'm expecting heavy fines, suspensions for players they have evidence against (Vilma), forfeiting of draft picks, the possible resignation of Loomis as the GM, and Gregg Williams having the hammer come down on him.

The Saints will be used as an example by Goodell and it's going to hurt.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So does Sean Payton's knee injury warrant a "haha"?
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
As punishment I'm expecting heavy fines, suspensions for players they have evidence against (Vilma), forfeiting of draft picks, the possible resignation of Loomis as the GM, and Gregg Williams having the hammer come down on him.

The Saints will be used as an example by Goodell and it's going to hurt.
I think Loomis will be fired before he has a chance to resign, especially if the report about him lying to Benson's face about shutting down the bounty pool is true.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bring this to St. Louis!!!!!!!!! Just do a better job of hiding it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
HeavyLeggedWaistBender
Veteran

HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD be trollin.

I love defense. Defense is turnovers, tackles, and sacks. Nothing to do with ambulances. This was a hit squad. As a long time Bear fan, and even longer human being, I hate Brett Favre and I loved watching him take all those hits. I reeaallly did. But that's when I thought they were genuine, hard nosed, playoff hits. To think there was an ulterior motive as twisted as money to hurt him is pretty ****** up.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is from LaCanfora's twitter page, so take it with a grain of salt...

Quote:
Memo sent to NFL clubs notes an incident with Saints LB Jon Vilma putting up $10K cash for a pre-playoff bounty and also notes that Sean Payton's agent, Mike Ornstein, put up money for a bounty on two occasions. Memo says the actions of Payton and GM Mickey Loomis serves as "conduct detrimental" to the game. Hard not to think steep punishment is coming
Here's one from the Washington Post:
Quote:
#Redskins had bounty system for hits on opponents similar to one revealed by an #NFL investigation of the #Saints. wapo.st/wtdbv7
Gregg Williams is in for a world of hurt if this is true.

Last edited by Legacy : 03-02-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Washington Post reports Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under their former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams
Adam Schefter twitter
Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 PM    (permalink
YoJoeBucsFan
Veteran

YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.YoJoeBucsFan could make a wolverine purr.

Drop the hammer on the 'Aints.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Rams might be looking for another DC.
H.O.O.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think what may end up happening, whether it is right or wrong, is legal action being brought up by players who have been injured playing against Greg Williams coached teams. Not thinking of certain examples/players and not saying I agree with it, but it would not surprise me at all if this happens.
Taber21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't read all of the thread sorry if all ready posted.

http://rotoworld.com/

Quote:
"I think it's gonna be a penalty that's gonna exceed SpyGate," Clayton said on SportsCenter. "I think you're probably gonna see the organization fined significantly, maybe close to $1 million. I think you're gonna see multiple draft choices taken away. ... Maybe a first-round pick next year and some other pick this year."
Old 03-02-2012, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.O.D View Post
The Rams might be looking for another DC.
Nah it will be a heavy fine at the most. I can almost guarantee almost all the teams in the NFL have **** like this going on...the Saints just got caught.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
Nah it will be a heavy fine at the most. I can almost guarantee almost all the teams in the NFL have **** like this going on...the Saints just got caught.
He did it with the redskins, I doubt he coaches this season. Chuck Cecil is on your staff. He has DC experience.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
He did it with the redskins, I doubt he coaches this season. Chuck Cecil is on your staff. He has DC experience.
Oh I read Shefter's tweet wrong, I thought it said that the Redskins did it this year. But yeah if its a repeat violater, well, blah.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
Oh I read Shefter's tweet wrong, I thought it said that the Redskins did it this year. But yeah if its a repeat violater, well, blah.
Count your blessings, even if they are small ones.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, Vilma will be getting suspended for at least 4 games, probably half the season. Consider him cut by the Saints.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My guess on punishment is:
Hefty fine
2013 first rounder
Williams gets a 6 game suspension (probably more with the WAS stuff)

At the very least this violates the salary cap system.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote