Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the premise of the thread isn't that bad really. Wilson is almost completely dismissed as a prospect because of his height, which is fair enough because that's the reality. This thread is just trying to look at everything else about Wilson that gets ignored. He is a pretty damn good player. 33 tds to 4 picks and 72.8% is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right. Instead of the hypothetical, consider the question "Is height the only thing hold Wilson back from being a first round pick?"

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
I think the premise of the thread isn't that bad really. Wilson is almost completely dismissed as a prospect because of his height, which is fair enough because that's the reality. This thread is just trying to look at everything else about Wilson that gets ignored. He is a pretty damn good player. 33 tds to 4 picks and 72.8% is great.
But the thing is, "If [player] didn't have a deficiency in [generally relevant characteristic] what would we think of him" is kind of a useless exercise. Every prospect would be thought more highly of if they were taller, stronger, faster, had longer arms, etc.

A more relevant question is "Can Russell Wilson overcome the issue of his height in the NFL?"

Personally, while he's definitely a great college QB, I think his NFL prospects are limited, but I think he can be a hall of famer in Canada.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 03-03-2012 at 09:38 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Rookie

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
but I think he can be a hall of famer in Canada.
What exactly do you think makes this possible?
Taber21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:53 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
What exactly do you think makes this possible?
Shorter, extremely mobile quarterbacks do very well in the Canadian Football League.

Of the guys who aren't considered to be NFL starters in their first few years, Wilson is probably the most coveted guy by Canadian teams.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is like saying if Kellen Moore was 6'3 or taller then who would also be a first round pick but nope height issues is hurting them both. Moore > Wilson IMO.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
I'm really hoping Green Bay drafts this guy at some point on day three.

No doubt overcoming his height would be a big accomplishment, but there's a couple things worth noting. Wilson played behind a very big offensive line at Wisconsin that is probably taller than most NFL lines. Wilson only had three passes batted down last year. For comparison Brock Osweiler (6'7") had 19.
This... our O-Line is huge and he didnt seem to have any problems. The guy is good I wish he could have stayed at Wisc for longer. Best QB we have had for a long time.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:46 AM    (permalink
Master Exploder
Rookie

Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
This is like saying if Kellen Moore was 6'3 or taller then who would also be a first round pick but nope height issues is hurting them both. Moore > Wilson IMO.
I don't think height is the only thing killing Kellen Moore.

The point I'm trying to make is that you see guys like Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiler get hyped up a lot. The same with Blaine Gabbert from last year because of their combination of size/potential. However, when I watch Tannehill and Osweiler, I don't see anything besides potential to maybe be good. When I watch Russell Wilson, I see a QB who is capable of starting day 1. I see a guy who can make all of the throws and lead an offense. However, he doesn't have the size advantage of Tannehill or Osweiler. I was just wondering how people thought his skill sets ranked amongst the top QB's in the draft. I feel like some people are taking my hypothetical question too literally instead of focusing on the message that I intended to convey.
Master Exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really interested in following Russell Wilson's NFL career. He could exist in obscurity for several years as some NFL teams' top #2, or he could sneak into a starting role and be the shock of the NFL.

Unlike Kellen Moore, Wilson's only major negative is height. He has a good arm(which is where the comparison to Kellen Moore ends), is mobile, makes near impeccable decisions with the football and has a high QB IQ.

If Russell Wilson were 6'2, there would be three borderline elite QB prospects in this draft.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he were 3-4 inches taller, he'd be Tim Tebow with a little less obvious religious disposition.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Kellen Moore is a million times worse than Wilson. Wilson has everything over Moore other than being slightly less accurate. Wilson has the potential to be a starter in the league whereas Moore will be out the league in 2 years.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
If he were 3-4 inches taller, he'd be Tim Tebow with a little less obvious religious disposition.
No, no and no. Wilson is loads more accurate, he ran a pro style offense at Wisconsin.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because Moore's lack of an NFL arm and lack or top-athleticism isn't added to his height issue.

Russell Wilson has a much stronger arm and is light-years ahead of Moore athletically.

Russell Wilson has been my favorite QB prospect for nearly 3 years. If he was 6'2"+ he'd be my #1QB. Crazy or not, that's how I've viewed him.

Last edited by phlysac : 03-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I really don't see this comparison at all.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't either. Wilson is a much better passer than Tebow ever was.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
dmoneyrockin
Rookie

dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dmoneyrockin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I wish this were a joke, but sadly it isn't.
dmoneyrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a "comparison" like you would use with most, but a metaphor/simile.

Wilson is a vastly over-rated QB with a baseball throwing motion. His accuracy is decent, but his football IQ is low. Very low (he literally never was allowed to run the offense at NC State, in any form. Nothing pre-snap). His athleticism is a bit over-rated, but he can definitely move well enough for the NFL. I really can't tell if it was because of his height, but he made a number of great throws at NC State and a number of absolutely terrible ones (the VT game his junior year was won until Russell decided to be Russell. If Russell had more time in the off-season to actually master the offense, that team could have gone to a BCS bowl game - lead by Wilson).

He reminds me of a lot of other college QBs that go on to the NFL and fail miserably.

I see him as a mid rounder with 3-4 more inches.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a "comparison" like you would use with most, but a metaphor/simile.

Wilson is a vastly over-rated QB with a baseball throwing motion. His accuracy is decent, but his football IQ is low. Very low (he literally never was allowed to run the offense at NC State, in any form. Nothing pre-snap). His athleticism is a bit over-rated, but he can definitely move well enough for the NFL. I really can't tell if it was because of his height, but he made a number of great throws at NC State and a number of absolutely terrible ones (the VT game his junior year was won until Russell decided to be Russell. If Russell had more time in the off-season to actually master the offense, that team could have gone to a BCS bowl game - lead by Wilson).

He reminds me of a lot of other college QBs that go on to the NFL and fail miserably.

Will disguard this opinion.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post

Will disguard this opinion.
Good idea. ignore someone whom saw him play 3 years.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This is completely unrelated, but every time I see "Russell" in relation to QB play, I think of the abysmal Jamarcus Russell. I just cringed 3 times in the course of 2 seconds.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Russell Wilson, but some of you are overrating his skill set. 5'11" or not, if he had a top ten skill set he wouldn't be projected as a 4th-6th round pick. As rare as it is, some short quarterbacks have succeeded in the NFL and high first round ability would get him drafted higher than he's being projected.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't know how Russell Wilson could have played any better than he did last season for Wisconsin.

He maxed that offense from a passing perspective. The Badgers defense prevented them from ending the season undefeated and losing the Rose Bowl.

I know it's seems totally random and arbitrary, but IMHO if Russell Wilson was the exact same QB except 6'2-6'3, the way scouts viewed him as a pro prospect would be radically different.

It wouldn't be an issue of whether or not he could be a quality backup in the NFL, the question then would be if Russell Wilson could develop into an elite QB in the right system.

No team looks at a sub 6 foot QB no matter how good as a potential 'savior' of a franchise.
Even Mike Vick's situation when he came out of Va Tech was totally fluky and I don't think he'd be rated the same today as a pro QB prospect as he was in 2000(?).