Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Decide the approach for the offensive line. The conventional wisdom is that the Cowboys are going to sign some help in free agency, either a center or a guard. I am not so sure. Recent information that the team has been working David Arkin exclusively at the center position since the 2011 season started may offer another choice.
Holy curveball. Arkin at center O_o. I mean physically he's a big upgrade and I can't imagine he can do much worse snapping the ball than Costa but did not picture the team sliding him over. Hopefully the attempt is to have a solid C/G reserve and save game day roster spots.

And the joyful news of the day...

Quote:
ESPN’s Adam Schefter is the latest to report that the Cowboys will aggressively pursue free agent CB Brandon Carr.
“The Dallas Cowboys are expected to have a heavy interest in Brandon Carr,” Schefter said on SportsCenter. Schefter, ESPN Dallas’ Calvin Watkins, and Pro Football Weekly have now all reported that the Cowboys will be in hot pursuit of Carr. Dallas is also expected to be in on free agent Cortland Finnegan, though Carr offers better size and superior tools for press coverage.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Are we even allowed to negotiate with Laurent Robinson right now or would that also be considered tampering
Nope. NFL rules per Archer:

Quote:
-- The Dallas Cowboys do not want to lose wide receiver Laurent Robinson, but they will not be able to re-sign him before free agency begins March 13.

Because Robinson signed a “minimum salary benefit” contract last year in which he was paid $685,000 but counted roughly $463,000 against the salary cap, league rules prevent the Cowboys from getting him under wraps before he can entertain offers elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Holy curveball. Arkin at center O_o. I mean physically he's a big upgrade and I can't imagine he can do much worse snapping the ball than Costa but did not picture the team sliding him over. Hopefully the attempt is to have a solid C/G reserve and save game day roster spots.

Where did you get that Arkin quote from? It was brought up here by someone before, but I could never find anything on google that mentioned this was continuing.

It's a thought that has me HIGHLY intrigued. If that's the route we go, then I would prefer that over drafting anyone or signing anyone in FA.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope we pursue Carr. He's young, and was once considered a building block for KC, we'd be locking him up for his prime years, and he has the looks of a guy who is still getting better. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting on Arkin. I think he's def got a better anchor than Costa because of his size. All I know is if we start the Season with Costa at center, we will not be a playoff team.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all in on Carr.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One more thing on Arkin, we shouldn't forget that Goose had him as his #100 player. I think the kid has talent. I just think he got here and the staff realized that he needed to hit the weight room so they just made this a redshirt year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

There are reports that Indy could let Freeney go.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Arkin played very solidly last pre-season and very curious to see how he looks this coming pre-season. I'm all for making him into a g/c and seeing if he can push for PT @ C. Hell at G too.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
One more thing on Arkin, we shouldn't forget that Goose had him as his #100 player. I think the kid has talent. I just think he got here and the staff realized that he needed to hit the weight room so they just made this a redshirt year.
I wish the Dallas media would actually do their job and report on player updates/stories like Arkins rather than blow smoke about how Jerry should do this and that.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Where did you get that Arkin quote from? It was brought up here by someone before, but I could never find anything on google that mentioned this was continuing.

It's a thought that has me HIGHLY intrigued. If that's the route we go, then I would prefer that over drafting anyone or signing anyone in FA.
My favorite source :D

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...ency#storyjump
Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Broaddus has been saying for months now than he thought Arkin would ultimately end up at center. That would be a great move. You don't need as much strength to play center as you do at guard so maybe they are doing that to get a quicker return out of Arkin. I like it. As long as he gets stronger I think he will be a good one. The best thing about him is that he has 34 inch arms, great for an interior lineman. What it means though is that we have to sign somebody at guard or draft someone in the top 2 rounds. Kosier is probably staying at one spot, and with Arkin now at center if that happens we definitely need another. I'd still like DeCastro. Why not have 5 good players instead of 2-3 good ones and 2 other average ones? BUILD ON STRENGTH'S BABY!

As for Carr, why not? Please just don't be Finnegan. It would really make us open to all positions in the draft.

DeCASTRO! DeCASTRO!

Last edited by CDCB14 : 03-06-2012 at 02:50 PM.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Carr
Robinson
Elam or Adams
Back-up QB
ILB depth

Get these guys and address the other positions and I'd say our FA would be a great success.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
+rep!

One thing about them that's cool... it does seem like they have inside sources. ...and they produce news frequently. I like that. Just don't have interest to gander round the web everyday.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...s-and-football

Good read about the Sloan Analytics conference that Garrett attended.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Bonzai
Rookie

Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.

What's the latest on LaRon Landry hitting FA, and what is everyone's opinion of bringing him here?
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
What's the latest on LaRon Landry hitting FA, and what is everyone's opinion of bringing him here?
I'd rather focus on fixing the secondary first.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Bonzai
Rookie

Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.Bonzai is a cocksman.

I guess I'm giving Sensy too much credit in coverage to afford a line of scrimmage player like Landry, now that I think about it. Screw it, how about Harrison Smith? At this point I dont really like any safeties coming out so he kinda gets my pick by default...

Last edited by Bonzai : 03-06-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
I guess I'm giving Sensy too much credit in coverage to afford a line of scrimmage player like Landry, now that I think about it. Screw it, how about Harrison Smith in the 2nd instead?
Nah, I'm just kidding with you man. Landry would be an intriguing pick especially because Rob Ryan loves versatility and could probably use Landry in that hybrid LB/S role. We saw Barry Church doing that.

The thing about it is his health is extremely risky to rely on and with both he and Sensy, you're right about coverage being an issue that remains unfixed.

As for Harrison, honestly, I'm not buying the hype. He could be good though. Supposedly the draftniks out there are driving his stock up after the combine.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Nah, I'm just kidding with you man. Landry would be an intriguing pick especially because Rob Ryan loves versatility and could probably use Landry in that hybrid LB/S role. We saw Barry Church doing that.

The thing about it is his health is extremely risky to rely on and with both he and Sensy, you're right about coverage being an issue that remains unfixed.

As for Harrison, honestly, I'm not buying the hype. He could be good though. Supposedly the draftniks out there are driving his stock up after the combine.
Give me Iloka from Boise State. He can play CB in a pinch as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh god. Please don't get Finnigan. I really was disappointed that Optimus Prime didn't kill him when they got into it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Oh god. Please don't get Finnigan. I really was disappointed that Optimus Prime didn't kill him when they got into it.
Ha, I wish he did so we didn't have the potential to get him. Signing a 28 year old corner who is overrated to big money because he plays a "premium" position and prices always get raised in free agency is would be stupid. If your spending big get Brandon Carr. If you can't get Carr then go after a second tier guy like Tracy Porter or see if you can snag Terrell Thomas.

Anyway, just came along this on the bleacher report:

Quote:
Teams here in Indianapolis feel when the dust clears in free agency cornerback Brandon Carr will be the newest member of the Dallas Cowboys. The team will then look to use their first selection on an offensive lineman, but who? Last night we reported the Baltimore Ravens would likely target Cordy Glenn. They may need a back-up plan as word is Glenn continues to sky-rocket up draft boards and ending up with Dallas in the top half of round one is a real possibility.
I know the part about Carr was already posted a week ago, but I don't think people talked about the OL part. I really hope it's not Cordy Glenn, but if we came away with Carr and DeCastro i'd probably streak down my neighborhood....!!!!!
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind snagging Carr, Decastro and then Bruce Irvin in the second.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Bonzai
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
if we came away with Carr and DeCastro i'd probably streak down my neighborhood....!!!!!

Those would be HUGE. I feel like we can improve most our weakspots through draft or FA this year(get Carr, Decastro in 1st, someone like Bruce Irvin in 2nd), but I am still stuck at safety. I dont like any of the draft prospects, and no FA's are really gonna cut it. Are we stuck with Sensy and Church? I like Church but I don't really have a whole lot of confidence in him.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

darn, I thought you were gonna say you don't have alot of "faith" in him