Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Makes sense to be honest. There is just absolutely nothing out there in terms of safeties on the FA market or in the draft. It's beyond sad.

Hopefully this also means they feel comfortable in striking a long-term deal with Jason Jones.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The caliber of a safety is greatly dependent on the DL in front of him, unless you're Reed or somebody. Griff was a playmaker back when the DL was dominant, and he's tapered off since. If we upgrade the pass-rush, we'll probably see an improvement out of him. So I'm fine with tagging him for a year and seeing if he improves with a better line in front of him, especially considering there's no real improvement over him available this offseason.

And if he doesn't make plays, we can move on. We're drafting a S regardless, if not just for depth concerns.

If JJ isn't retained, that probably cements DE as being our 1st RD choice...assuming there's not a ridiculous value elsewhere.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM    (permalink
xpmar9x
Rookie

xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.xpmar9x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully we can improve the pass rush and get the 2008 Michael Griffin back.
xpmar9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TH and CMD, just admit that Eric Berry is like sexual chocolate that you want to dip cookies in. It's time you just admit it.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
TH and CMD, just admit that Eric Berry is like sexual chocolate that you want to dip cookies in. It's time you just admit it.
I thought it was common knowledge.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Anyways. I'm pretty disappointed we haven't cut any of our bums like Witherspoon, Amano, and Graham yet. Also, I've heard next to nothing on us re-signing Jason Jones which is also very disappointing.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
Anyways. I'm pretty disappointed we haven't cut any of our bums like Witherspoon, Amano, and Graham yet. Also, I've heard next to nothing on us re-signing Jason Jones which is also very disappointing.
I agree with you on Graham and Jones; however, knowing the Titans, I'm not so surprised that Amano and Witherspoon are still around.

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think we'll cut Amano. Munchak, Matthews, and company seem to believe in him; plus, they always talk about the importance of "continuity" on the OL, so I doubt that they'll want to replace anyone else after letting go of Jake Scott. Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Amano, if we moved him back to OG -- where he played much better. Like it or not, I think our OL will probably only have 1 new starter next year -- or maybe 2 new starters if Fernando Velasco really impresses in camp and somehow de-thrones Leroy Harris.

It also doesn't surprise me that we haven't cut Witherspoon. He's not a great player, but I also don't think he's as terrible as some others think. He's got some versatility because he can play all three LB spots, and he's got some experience in what is otherwise a very young DEF. Is he worth the amount that we're currently paying him? No. But I think this is similar to the Chris Hope situation last year -- over-paying for experience. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted his eventual replacement this year.

Last edited by MicktheGreat : 03-07-2012 at 05:47 PM.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Amano, it's just he's getting 5m/yr to be average.

Also, reports are Jason Jones is going to get 9m/yr on the open market. He's simply not worth that so I can't say I'm surprised we aren't talking to him.

I'd like for us to cut Graham, Amano, Smith, Witherspoon. It seems like the Titans would rather overpay someone than cut them.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, there's no sense in cutting anyone. We're $30 million under the cap, so there's no need for cap casualties, and we haven't had the draft yet, so lets wait to draft a TE or LB before we cut a vet at the position.

I'm not sure who'd be crazy enough to pay $9 million/year for JJ. He's not an elite pass-rusher from the DE position, he's very injury prone, and doesn't have great production. He's been mostly a flash impact guy. I figured his agent would be after 5 years/$30 million dollars, which seems to be the typical contract for LE's. I am interested to see if Fisher goes after him, along with Finny, or if a 3-4 team wants him as a 1-gap 5-tech, which he'd be perfect for.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Are we still 30 mil under the cap? I figured we were more around 22-24 at this point after re-signing Otto, Hawkins, and then tagging Griff. Also, what's taking so long to re-sign Patrick Bailey and/or Tim Shaw? We know the Titans love em some special teams linebackers. Should be pretty standard signings.

I don't know. I just feel like the FO has been dragging their feet so far. Maybe I'm just anxious because it's been two years since a legit free agency due to last year's holdout debacle.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Forgot about Griff! Truthfully, I'm not sure where we are... The organization has one number, and the writers have another. And I think it's like a couple million dollar difference, but hopefully we're still in the upper $20 million range. Still, unless there are any bonuses due, we can afford to wait. I think Spoon and Graham's contracts are in their last year too, so that's completely cleared cap space next year anyway.

Also, me in my house when the Colts cut Manning:

Also, I dunno who Lauren Bennett is, but wowie wow wow.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kiper and McShay mock drafts have us taking

Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to this site, we have about 85m under contract for next year. The cap is projected around 120m so that would leave us with around 35m.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/cap-hit/

Complex: I'd love to get him that'd be a huge steal for us
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I so excited for FA! Even though we are probably just gunna sign Nakumara, Trufant and some mediocre DE. I want Grubbs and Mario Williams dammit! Just for once I want to know what it feels like to be a happy little boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Last edited by DoughBoy : 03-09-2012 at 02:13 PM.
DoughBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Meh, I'm starting to feel like we'll just sign a couple of special-teamer types and maybe one mid-range type of starter. Can't say I'm too excited. I hope they prove me wrong though.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

We need a solution at NB (BRING BACK ERIC KING!!!), so while it may seem like a small signing, it'll be important.

I assume since the FO and coaches basically kicked Finny out of the door, they are confident with ATV and McCourty on the outside. Even with Manning gone and having two young stud LB's in Ayers and McCarthy, NB will still essentially be a starter due to the importance of the passing game in today's NFL. We need to have 3 quality CB's.

They're reportedly close to re-signing Babs, who is versatile enough to play NB, but I'd prefer him to stay at strongside safety along with Griff at weakside. Plus, it'll be easier for a rookie to step in at NB than it would at S (Janzen Jackson, who's an ideal NB, in the 5th RD plox). Tommie Campbell's length would help him excel at it (ladiesssssss), like it does Woodson in GB, and he certainly has the size to help in run support. Him blitzing would be nightmarish if he ever got good at it. And I suppose Ryan Mouton still exists.

Marcus Trufant seems like an inevitable Titans signing. He's been cut, so he won't negatively affect our future comp. picks, pretty much the entire FO has ties to Seattle, and Hass and Babs could help recruit him. And if ATV or McCourty went down, he can play outside. But he's got injury concerns, I'm not sure how his skillset works inside, and frankly, I'd much, much, MUCH rather re-sign Finny. So bummed we're letting him walk, but like it or not, we usually get it right when it comes to letting our guys walk. If you can get by without a CB because you have two other good CB's, then it makes no sense to invest a lot of money in him when there are other needs.

Either way, we may see a fundamental shift in the FO's method of building the team caused by Manning leaving Indy, Locker taking over, and the shift of power with MR and RW. Fisher's mantra was to take down Indy: win the division, and to do that, you have to take down Manning. So, he built his teams that way. Control the clock, limit possessions, keep the scoring low, and win small. Now we have what looks like a future on offense, and Goliath is gone, so we may be more proactive than reactive.

Hopefully, they'll rather let Finny and JJ walk and combine that money to sign a guy like Mario Williams. I subscribe to the "If you're gonna invest good money in something, then get what you want even if it means you'll be paying a little bit more for it." You want the really nice recliner, then don't settle for a recliner you don't want just because it's $100 cheaper when you're already spending $300 (Is that how much recliners cost? Cause I dunno. JUST GO WITH THE ANALOGY!). When paying full price, money is better spent if you get what you want. If combined JJ and Finny were wanting $15 million/year, then give that money to the guy who can immensely improve JJ's spot at LE while helping the secondary where Finny is leaving...even if I do think Mario Williams is overrated. The FO says they want an impact pass-rusher. Be proactive about it and do it when the opportunity presents itself.

Nevertheless, I am surprised we haven't already re-signed role-players like Tim Shaw, Dave Ball, and Ahmard Hall, but I think there's a rule that if a guy got paid vet minimum, then you can't officially re-sign them before FA. That's what's holding up Babs's supposed deal.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 03-10-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

******* Ryan Mouton. I had Jedi Mind Tricked myself into believing that he never happened. Why did you remind me TH?!?! WHY?!?!?!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

TitanHope, I think Hall is gone and Ball is considering retiring due to his back issues. If he plays next year I think it will be with the Titans, just not sure if he's going to.

In addition, I think the combined of Finnegan and JJ is going to equal around 17m/yr, while Mario reportedly wants between 12-15m/yr. I don't like investing that type of money in players, but I'd do it for him.

I fully expect us to sign Trufant (assuming he's healthy), him playing on the outside and Verner playing the slot. Tommie Campbell will be groomed to replace Trufant on the outside (opposite of McCourty, we will sign him to an extension) for the future. In the meantime, Campbell basically backs up every DB position
Old 03-10-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Either way, we may see a fundamental shift in the FO's method of building the team caused by Manning leaving Indy, Locker taking over, and the shift of power with MR and RW. Fisher's mantra was to take down Indy: win the division, and to do that, you have to take down Manning. So, he built his teams that way. Control the clock, limit possessions, keep the scoring low, and win small. Now we have what looks like a future on offense, and Goliath is gone, so we may be more proactive than reactive.
This is what I've been thinking for a while, the AFC south is becoming more of a run first division. Even with Luck at QB, I don't think they'll be the same type offense they were under Manning.

If you watch Luck play, he played primarily under center in a west coast system filled with short timing routes. I think they'll try to even out the run and pass better than they did with Manning. I know people claim Luck is the second coming of Manning, but I don't see that happening.

With Pagano having a history in Baltimore, and the new GM having a history in Philadelphia, I am interested in seeing what exactly the new regime wants to do.

Needless to say, the only team that really concerns me in our division for the near future is the Texans. However, I think they are quickly exiting their window and entering a cap problem.

For the last 2 years I'd been saying the Colts window was quickly closing with Manning, Wayne, Clark, Saturday, Freeney and Mathis all getting up their in age. Little did I know in 2012 there's likely only going to be one of these players returning.

Houston is similar in my opinion, Schaub turns 31 and has been injury prone during his career. In addition, Schaub's contract expires after the 2012 season, so we'll see if the Texans want to invest in him or go with Yates or another guy. If Schaub resigns he'll likely get at least 10m/yr.
Andre Johnson turns 31 this season, and has also been somewhat injury prone over his career.
Chris Meyers and Mike Brisel are both free agents this offseason and I don't think they'll have the money to bring both, if either, back. They've also been talking about cutting Eric Winston, but I doubt they will.
Owen Daniels turns 30 and is also injury prone (i'm seeing a pattern)
They are losing Mario Williams, Antonio Smith turns 31.

Say what you want about our Titans, but I like the future of us in this division
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hutchinson in a Titans uni would be sweet! and there is the whole Seahawks connection.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I agree Doughboy, I just wonder if Munch and Bruce want to bring in a veteran that's set in his ways or if they want a rook they can teach. Since Hutch's way is a pro bowl way, I think they'd be ok with him...
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...Peyton-Manning

Is Bud senile at this point or is he up to something?

Last edited by TitanHope : 03-11-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Fixed link. <333
CashmoneyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

Wasent expecting that to be honest.

Quote:
Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...Peyton-Manning

Is Bud senile at this point or is he up to something?
I think Bud's just stargazing, but on the flipside, if he's up for spending big money for a premium offensive player who's a free agent, then maybe he's not only open to acquiring a premium defensive player, whether through FA or a trade, but is actually pushing for it.

Either way, I'd love Manning. It's a Vols fan's wet dream behind the prodigal son returning to actually coach Tennessee. Despite the injury, he's probably got the same arm as Hasselbeck, but he's still got the football IQ that made him great. If the FO and coaches think the team can win it all next year with Manning at the helm, then there's no excuse not to attempt to sign him. Super Bowls trump future prospects, and I think Locker has the character to continue to wait. If not, then lets hand the keys over to Locker so he can gain the experience needed to lead the team when it's running fullsteam 3 years from now.

Also, keep in mind that we don't have a lot of money tied up into Locker. We lucked out and landed our QB in the Top 10 after the rookie wage scale came into place. We're not forcing a goldmine to sit the bench if it ever came to it.

I don't think this will get serious, but there is a lot to like about the Titans. Great supporting cast, familiar division, and knows the state. No suitor could match our WR-RB-OL combination. Only big thing would be if Palmer would agree to allowing Peyton adapt his offense.

Nevertheless, as much as I love hearing Bud is willing to open up his wallet so easily, it still disturbs me that not only is Adams still up to his intervenous ways, but he's still fine with going to the media with it. Telling Wyatt only puts more pressure on Webster and Reinfeldt, and I don't want the FO under more of a vice than they are.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 03-11-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

I'd love to know how Hasselbeck is feeling right about now. lol