Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-08-2012, 12:50 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why in the hell are we re signing Smith for 30 mil ? Just go and get Peyton for that much jeez.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Paraag doesn't mess up deals, Alex will be fine. I love all the Alex backlash due to Peyton, Alex does great vs. that type of adversity.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Why in the hell are we re signing Smith for 30 mil ? Just go and get Peyton for that much jeez.
Did you even read any of the information? It's about averaging out the salary per year. Simple concept. Alex Smith is looking for a deal similar to what Fitzpatrick got which was around 10 million dollars a year. So $30 million dollars with an average of $10 million per year = 3 year contract (although recent events reveal Smith's agent wants to extent the years, but that wouldn't change the averages.)

Peyton Manning's last contract which was signed before the lockout: five years, $90 million dollars. That averages out to 18 million dollars a season.

Don't just look at the base sum. I know you don't like Alex Smith, but at least look into information correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Paraag doesn't mess up deals, Alex will be fine. I love all the Alex backlash due to Peyton, Alex does great vs. that type of adversity.
I have a feeling that all of this Peyton-mania is going to turn out different than expected. Not just in terms of where he'll go, but maybe even how he'll perform on the field. I'm not even worried about anything right now. Alex Smith will be resigned and we can finally have some more continuity moving forward. After last year's free agent fiasco and the doubts against the 49ers, they get a hall pass for this offseason.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 03-08-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Alex needs to hurry up and sign. I imagine we're waiting for this deal to get done so we know exactly how much we have to spend elsewhere. Alex already got his money when he got drafted. He should settle for 20/hr with benefits; Or pay the organization for letting him play. Ryan Fitzpatrick deal... what a joke. I'm not disagreeing with what everybody thinks will happen in terms of a comparative deal, I just wish Alex would except pay relative to his role on this team. And I won't be able to live with it if Peyton is still playing at a high level...
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look at who tops Grant Rosenthal's list of FA's to avoid...

Quote:
These are some buyer beware options in free agency.

1. Marques Colston, Saints wideout

The surgeries are well documented. I’m less worried about the injury risk because Colston has only missed ten career games, including three in the last three years.

I’m more concerned that you will have to pay for his past production and that production matches up with the game’s elite receivers since 2006. You aren’t likely to get anything close to that production unless you also have Drew Brees throwing Colston the ball.

Brees’ pinpoint accuracy and trust in Colston creates a lot of plays that aren’t there because Colston doesn’t get much separation. Ultimately, he’s a possession receiver.

2-3. Pierre Garcon and Mario Manningham, wide receivers

I’m listing these two together because they are in many ways the same guy. They can look like No. 1 receivers for stretches, but they make way too many mental errors and drop too many passes to invest big money on. Those mental errors are only going to pick up from Peyton and Eli Manning.

Garcon and Manningham are borderline No. 2/3 receivers that will get paid like No. 1 receivers.
http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40...gents-to-avoid
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Did you even read any of the information? It's about averaging out the salary per year. Simple concept. Alex Smith is looking for a deal similar to what Fitzpatrick got which was around 10 million dollars a year. So $30 million dollars with an average of $10 million per year = 3 year contract (although recent events reveal Smith's agent wants to extent the years, but that wouldn't change the averages.)

Peyton Manning's last contract which was signed before the lockout: five years, $90 million dollars. That averages out to 18 million dollars a season.

Don't just look at the base sum. I know you don't like Alex Smith, but at least look into information correctly.

I have a feeling that all of this Peyton-mania is going to turn out different than expected. Not just in terms of where he'll go, but maybe even how he'll perform on the field. I'm not even worried about anything right now. Alex Smith will be resigned and we can finally have some more continuity moving forward. After last year's free agent fiasco and the doubts against the 49ers, they get a hall pass for this offseason.
No he hasn't read it he can't read.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bottom line with Smith is that the team wants him to sign a 3 year $30m contract but he wants a 5 year $50m contract and im sorry, Smith isnt even worth $10m and I personally would have offered him a 3 year $24m with $15m guaranteed with a take it or leave it deal. Sorry but Smith should have been the easiest player to re-sign and instead, he appears to be the opposite. Whether its him, his agent or both, he needs to realize that the team isnt and shouldnt overpay him. He's an above average QB at best but if he leaves SF, he'll be crap. He should realize that.

A long term deal would also include more guaranteed money which is something im sure Baalke doesnt want to do. Base salaries I can see because he would most likely never see those salaries (ala Clements) but the bonus money is guaranteed and with the team moving up to draft Kaepernick, I dont see how they could justify giving Smith a long term deal with more guaranteed money.

And this is what I hate the most - people say not to overpay a WR because it may bite the team in the ass but drafting and paying Smith back in 2005 already bit them in the ass and yet, people think they should do it again? Sorry, its okay when you take a chance on a player and it doesnt work out but TWICE??? Hmmm, no. That would be stupid and im sorry but if Smith doesnt sign by Monday, I would seriously consider going after Flynn (who I wanted last summer) and then Orton if I cant get Flynn. Orton would be good because he could be the veteran QB while Kaepernick continues to develop.

Signing Smith to a five year deal unless its like Clements would be stupid and they cant pay him a huge guaranteed amount of money. Come on, he's already been paid a lot of money that quite honestly, in regards to how he played on the field, he didnt earn so Smith, stop being greedy and take what is being offered to you.

And consider yourself lucky because if I was Baalke, your maximum offer would be 3 years $24m with $15m guaranteed on a take it or leave it basis.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And I read Rosenthal's topic yesterday. Obviously, everyone here knows that I want Wallace the most but second on my list is Garcon but I see him going where Peyton goes. The rest I have no interest in and dont want for various reasons.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Look at who tops Grant Rosenthal's list of FA's to avoid...

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40...gents-to-avoid
Meh, I've watched enough of Garcon to know he's better and more consistent than anything we have right now. I still would love to have him. Not as high on Manningham as I am Garcon and Meachem but I think his errors in NY are more scheme specific, not neccessarily that he can't be trusted with a bigger workload in a more traditional passing offense.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan,

Free Agency hasn't even officially started and you're bashing a player for taking too long to sign.

Relax
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really doesn't matter much to me which WR we sign. Besides that i dont really think that we really need a deep threat because the area of Smith's game that is the worst are his deep throws to the outside. So why get someone that is really good at those things while the most important piece of getting the bal there isn't comfortable/good at doing that. What is needed is an all-around WR so you have another weapon.
Justone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Meachem. Meachem, Crabtree, Drafted WR, and Morgan should be cool....if Alex can learn to look at his progressions quicker, the need for a star #1 won't be as great.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
I want Meachem. Meachem, Crabtree, Drafted WR, and Morgan should be cool....if Alex can learn to look at his progressions quicker, the need for a star #1 won't be as great.
Agree. I want Meachum + drafted WR or 2 drafted WR.

Unless we get a deal on Wallace.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Meh, I've watched enough of Garcon to know he's better and more consistent than anything we have right now. I still would love to have him. Not as high on Manningham as I am Garcon and Meachem but I think his errors in NY are more scheme specific, not neccessarily that he can't be trusted with a bigger workload in a more traditional passing offense.
I agree with you and believe that Garcon would be our number one WR. Have no interest in Manningham (or Meachem).

Quote:
Dan,

Free Agency hasn't even officially started and you're bashing a player for taking too long to sign.

Relax
I'm bashing Smith because he's being ******* greedy. As soon as SF made him an offer, it should have been signed the same day. And if Baalke gives in to Smith but doesnt go after Wallace, im going to be pissed.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
Really doesn't matter much to me which WR we sign. Besides that i dont really think that we really need a deep threat because the area of Smith's game that is the worst are his deep throws to the outside. So why get someone that is really good at those things while the most important piece of getting the bal there isn't comfortable/good at doing that. What is needed is an all-around WR so you have another weapon.
Thats crap. Smith made deep throws to Davis throughout the season, got the ball deep to Morgan on the play where he broke his ankle. Smith can throw deep and I believe his accuracy is good enough to do it but when you dont have a speed receiver who's creating separation, I dont blame Smith for over throwing the ball as opposed to risking an INT. We have the playmaking TE in Davis, possession receiver in Crabtree, slot receiver in Williams and just need that deep threat on the outside. We must get a receiver who spread out the defense or the passing offense will never improve.

Quote:
So, a bunch of number two receivers are okay with you? This is something I dont understand. Everyone here is bashing me for bashing Smith for wanting more money than he deserves but yet dont want to spend the money on a true number one WR that would help Smith actually earn that money. I seriously dont see how a WR core of Meachem, Crabtree, a rookie and Morgan who's coming off a broken ankle is going to improve the passing offense.

Smith goes through his progressions but he doesnt to go through every one when all the receivers are in the same area bunched together and can see majority if not all of them in one or two progressions.

Seriously, this is so sad. Watching receivers like Rice and Owens was awesome...now, its average crapper after average crapper. UGH. I think I just threw up in my mouth. UGH.

Quote:
Agree. I want Meachum + drafted WR or 2 drafted WR.

Unless we get a deal on Wallace.
I can understand wanting a FA WR but TWO drafted receivers? Come on guys, you really think a rookie WR is going to do anything in Harbaughs run happy offense? The only way our passing offense will ever get good again is by giving Smith (or whoever the QB is) weapons at WR. No weapons equals crappy play calling, stupid gimmick plays that rarely work, running on 3rd downs regardless of distance and no SB appearance in the near future.

And if Smith is worth $10m a season....then so is ******* Wallace. And hell, I would even pay Garcon that too. Like the saying goes, you get what you paid for.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Exhausting
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
got the ball deep to Morgan on the play where he broke his ankle.
Or he broke his ankle on a 19 yard out pass from Colin Kaepernick.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Or he broke his ankle on a 19 yard out pass from Colin Kaepernick.
Oops. I forgot that Bucs game was a blowout. We rarely if ever blowout other teams, I completely forgot. Either way, Smith has thrown deep to Davis so he obviously can throw deep but doesnt because well, there's no one deep to throw to.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

49ers have signed DT Will Tukuafu to a two-year extension through the 2013 season: http://bit.ly/xMAnoP

There's developmental talent depth on the D-Line. Like it!

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
49ers have signed DT Will Tukuafu to a two-year extension through the 2013 season: http://bit.ly/xMAnoP

Yeah but Jared Crick will still be mocked to the 49ers half the time.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exhausting
It really is. Lol.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tomsula really needs more credit for the development and readiness of his guys. I wouldn't be surprised to see a developmental type nose tackle taken in this draft to hedge against Sopo's next deal. He is going to get some notice for his work if he hits the open market.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
Tomsula really needs more credit for the development and readiness of his guys. I wouldn't be surprised to see a developmental type nose tackle taken in this draft to hedge against Sopo's next deal. He is going to get some notice for his work if he hits the open market.
Perhaps that's already taken care of...

Ian Williams
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post

Nice. Anyone know what level Grant and Brock have been tendered at?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Perhaps that's already taken care of...

Ian Williams
I'm hoping. :)