Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-10-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
My very realistic off-season wish list as of today

1. Re-sign Braylon
2. Draft Melvin Ingram round 1
3. Markelle Martin round 2
4. Vlad develops into starting RT or Wayne Hunter miraculously improves
5. Sign Laron Landry
I agree with 'Canes, not sure 4 is very realistic. Also I know the safety spot was a weakness, but for a position that Ryan doesn't seem to prioritize that much I think Martin in round 2 along with Landry is a little more than they'll do.

The Sanchez move is both interesting and frightening in terms of this offseason. I'm sure they did it to open up more cap space, just not sure if that means they're gunning up to make one big move or a lot of small-medium moves. Kind of afraid of Tannenbaum doing something stupid, this team tries way to hard to make big moves and I'd just like to see them do a lot of small stuff. What I'd like to see them do in free agency:

Sign Landry - Agree with 5128 and I think this should be our big move this offseason. Slightly concerned about his injury concerns and with the lack of safeties on the market and his big name I wonder if he'll get overpaid, but he hits which Rex wants from his safeties and is the best one left.

Sign Vernon Carey/Anthony Collins/Demetrius Bell - Depends how much they all cost and how much cap space there is, but I'd like one of these three. Collins is a personal favorite and will probably be the cheapest of the three, played really well for the Bengals when he was given opportunities but was blocked by two other good tackles. Bell played really well for the Bills last year, and I like Carey better at tackle than at guard - reminds me a bit of Woody who was sorely missed last year. Sparano obviously knows Carey too so he seems like a logical fit.

Sign Jarret Johnson/re-sign Bryan Thomas - Obviously the OLB position was a real weakness last year, and a lot of people are clamoring for more pass rush. I think that's logical, but I'm pretty concerned about the inability our OLB's had to set the edge last year. Defending the run between the tackles was fine, but backs got outside way too easily. Maybin is a nice option on third downs to get after the QB, and bringing in either Johnson or Thomas would be big for setting the edge in the run game and would also help in coverage. I think Thomas will be cheaper coming off of an injury and if he's healthy I'd rather bring him back than presumably overpay for Johnson, but either of these guys would be a reasonable band aid for the OLB spot.

Re-sign Jim Leonhard - Coming off of two injuries another option should be brought in, but he should come cheap because of injury concerns and knows the defense as well as anyone. Plus he seems to like playing for Rex. Think he's one of the top veteran safety options with all (cost, knowledge of scheme, ability) are brought into play, just need to make sure they have a better backup option.

Sign Braylon Edwards - Agree with 5128 again here. The team really, really missed having a big threat who could also get downfield last year. Edwards is a really good run blocker and would help open up the offense with his ability to get deep. Forces teams to give safety help opposite Holmes which helps him out and can make plays downfield and in the redzone. Great fit for a run based, "chunk play" scheme that they're moving towards, liked New York, knows a lot of the team, and should come cheap after a bad, injury filled season last year. Some risk, but definitely an intelligent roll of the dice for the cost (similar to how I see Leonhard and Thomas).

Re-sign Sione Pouha - I go back and forth on this, and I think it depends on the length of the deal and the amount of cap space the team has. With all of the holes and the age on the team I kind of wonder if going into rebuilding mode and half trying to contend is the best move, and I think a lot of the short term cheap moves above are good for trying to do that. In that case maybe Kenrick Ellis just gets his shot to start this year, as he looked good in limited time. If not I do think that bringing back Pouha on a 3-4 year deal that's relatively reasonable and easy to get out of after 2 years would be good. He's a team leader and obviously an excellent player, so for the right deal it would be great to get him back.

Cut Eric Smith - Maybe re-sign him to a cheaper deal, but he's not worth what he's getting paid. Solid ST guy and seems like a smart guy and a team player, but just should not get playing time at safety. Brutal in coverage and too slow.

Try to trade Bart Scott and Wayne Hunter - I highly doubt any team will give anything up for either of these guys, but if you can get something for either you do it. Even if you can get some cap room by moving them and almost give the other team more in the trade to take them on I think you do it. Really just mentioned this because it's been rumored and either would be awesome.

I think an offseason like this is solid for a few reasons. One, the team obviously has quite a few holes but not a whole lot of money to address them with. I think you get two hopefully long-term starters (Landry and one of the tackles) and that fills arguably the two most important spots. Given there's not much money left in all likelihood, bringing back guys like BT, Leonhard, and Edwards who have been around the team, know the scheme (in the case of the defensive guys), and should be relatively cheap is better than bringing in brand new guys for the same price or slightly safer options for more money given the cap space. The fact that they're likely to be short-term deals hopefully allows the team to contend somewhat while keeping long-term cap room open and trying to rebuild about this.

Additionally, it kind of fills the major holes on this team and allows a lot of flexibility heading into the draft. Essentially you now have two safeties, a right tackle, an outside linebacker, a wide recevier, and a nose tackle you'd feel alright about heading into the season. But at the same time, both safeties are injury prone and one is probably unlikely to start, your outside linebacker is aging a bit and the pass rush still needs to improve, the wide receiver is coming off of a bad year, and you could probably use an upgrade and some more explosivness at running back. Plus guys like DeVito and Moore can be cut to increase cap room, you probably need a long-term successor to Scott unless you really like Mauga, a TE who can block would be nice, there's no real backup QB on the team...basically almost anything makes sense and you can just take BPA all draft long and definitely improve your team somehow. There's no way this actually happens, but I think this is the best offseason if you want to contend in the short term and retain cap flexibility to build your team properly in the long term.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Magaca
Rookie

Magaca hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I agree with 'Canes, not sure 4 is very realistic. Also I know the safety spot was a weakness, but for a position that Ryan doesn't seem to prioritize that much I think Martin in round 2 along with Landry is a little more than they'll do.

The Sanchez move is both interesting and frightening in terms of this offseason. I'm sure they did it to open up more cap space, just not sure if that means they're gunning up to make one big move or a lot of small-medium moves. Kind of afraid of Tannenbaum doing something stupid, this team tries way to hard to make big moves and I'd just like to see them do a lot of small stuff. What I'd like to see them do in free agency:

Sign Landry - Agree with 5128 and I think this should be our big move this offseason. Slightly concerned about his injury concerns and with the lack of safeties on the market and his big name I wonder if he'll get overpaid, but he hits which Rex wants from his safeties and is the best one left.

Sign Vernon Carey/Anthony Collins/Demetrius Bell - Depends how much they all cost and how much cap space there is, but I'd like one of these three. Collins is a personal favorite and will probably be the cheapest of the three, played really well for the Bengals when he was given opportunities but was blocked by two other good tackles. Bell played really well for the Bills last year, and I like Carey better at tackle than at guard - reminds me a bit of Woody who was sorely missed last year. Sparano obviously knows Carey too so he seems like a logical fit.

Sign Jarret Johnson/re-sign Bryan Thomas - Obviously the OLB position was a real weakness last year, and a lot of people are clamoring for more pass rush. I think that's logical, but I'm pretty concerned about the inability our OLB's had to set the edge last year. Defending the run between the tackles was fine, but backs got outside way too easily. Maybin is a nice option on third downs to get after the QB, and bringing in either Johnson or Thomas would be big for setting the edge in the run game and would also help in coverage. I think Thomas will be cheaper coming off of an injury and if he's healthy I'd rather bring him back than presumably overpay for Johnson, but either of these guys would be a reasonable band aid for the OLB spot.

Re-sign Jim Leonhard - Coming off of two injuries another option should be brought in, but he should come cheap because of injury concerns and knows the defense as well as anyone. Plus he seems to like playing for Rex. Think he's one of the top veteran safety options with all (cost, knowledge of scheme, ability) are brought into play, just need to make sure they have a better backup option.

Sign Braylon Edwards - Agree with 5128 again here. The team really, really missed having a big threat who could also get downfield last year. Edwards is a really good run blocker and would help open up the offense with his ability to get deep. Forces teams to give safety help opposite Holmes which helps him out and can make plays downfield and in the redzone. Great fit for a run based, "chunk play" scheme that they're moving towards, liked New York, knows a lot of the team, and should come cheap after a bad, injury filled season last year. Some risk, but definitely an intelligent roll of the dice for the cost (similar to how I see Leonhard and Thomas).

Re-sign Sione Pouha - I go back and forth on this, and I think it depends on the length of the deal and the amount of cap space the team has. With all of the holes and the age on the team I kind of wonder if going into rebuilding mode and half trying to contend is the best move, and I think a lot of the short term cheap moves above are good for trying to do that. In that case maybe Kenrick Ellis just gets his shot to start this year, as he looked good in limited time. If not I do think that bringing back Pouha on a 3-4 year deal that's relatively reasonable and easy to get out of after 2 years would be good. He's a team leader and obviously an excellent player, so for the right deal it would be great to get him back.

Cut Eric Smith - Maybe re-sign him to a cheaper deal, but he's not worth what he's getting paid. Solid ST guy and seems like a smart guy and a team player, but just should not get playing time at safety. Brutal in coverage and too slow.

Try to trade Bart Scott and Wayne Hunter - I highly doubt any team will give anything up for either of these guys, but if you can get something for either you do it. Even if you can get some cap room by moving them and almost give the other team more in the trade to take them on I think you do it. Really just mentioned this because it's been rumored and either would be awesome.

I think an offseason like this is solid for a few reasons. One, the team obviously has quite a few holes but not a whole lot of money to address them with. I think you get two hopefully long-term starters (Landry and one of the tackles) and that fills arguably the two most important spots. Given there's not much money left in all likelihood, bringing back guys like BT, Leonhard, and Edwards who have been around the team, know the scheme (in the case of the defensive guys), and should be relatively cheap is better than bringing in brand new guys for the same price or slightly safer options for more money given the cap space. The fact that they're likely to be short-term deals hopefully allows the team to contend somewhat while keeping long-term cap room open and trying to rebuild about this.

Additionally, it kind of fills the major holes on this team and allows a lot of flexibility heading into the draft. Essentially you now have two safeties, a right tackle, an outside linebacker, a wide recevier, and a nose tackle you'd feel alright about heading into the season. But at the same time, both safeties are injury prone and one is probably unlikely to start, your outside linebacker is aging a bit and the pass rush still needs to improve, the wide receiver is coming off of a bad year, and you could probably use an upgrade and some more explosivness at running back. Plus guys like DeVito and Moore can be cut to increase cap room, you probably need a long-term successor to Scott unless you really like Mauga, a TE who can block would be nice, there's no real backup QB on the team...basically almost anything makes sense and you can just take BPA all draft long and definitely improve your team somehow. There's no way this actually happens, but I think this is the best offseason if you want to contend in the short term and retain cap flexibility to build your team properly in the long term.
This post deserved better than no comments. I agree with almost all of it, although i don't think we should get rid of Scott as he played very very well in the ~60% of snaps he was in for. I also think the Pouha resigning was a nobrainer. Lastly, now that we have some extra cap room after the Sanchez deal, i wouldn't be pissed if we went after Eric Winston or Manny Lawson. We obviously can't afford guys like Mario Williams etc. but a second tier guy should be considered.
Magaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

First day of free agency and we resigned Bryan Thomas and signed a back up center.

I like to think that the Jets will finally figure out a WR combination..... not like it matters. It will be new, like each year Mark has been the QB. Whatever. Its an issue. The Jets key to victory is a dominate oline.. If they can run the ball even when the opposing team knew it (2009 Jets), Marks "maturity" will come out.

And a pass rusher, finally.
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:34 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Im happy to see Puoha and BT return. Both add some versatility and depth to the front 7. I hope this doesn't mean the search for a pass rushing OLB is over though. I think they need to get someone explosive to get after the QB but also be an every down player.

And its good to see that they are involved in talks with a bunch of safeties. I think Meriweather would be a good fit in Rex's defense. Hes a bit of a nutcase but it should make for exciting football. Nelson and Landry are physical freaks but I wish someone who can cover TEs well was available.

I really hope Mario Williams doesn't sign with the Bills. I thought the Jets would have shown him a lot more interest. Hopefully it will be like the Eagles-Nnamdi signing and we'll steal him late haha

Im also a bit surprised the Jets havent gone after a WR either. I thought this would be a priority especially after they put their faith in Sanchez. He needs to get a deep threat and some goddamn pass protection. Its ridiculous that they look to be settling with Wayne Hunter. I know we dont have a huge amount of cap space but protecting your QB should be a priority.

Hopefully theyll have a couple good signings in the next few weeks and have a smart draft.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not entirely happy with the Sanchez extension. This extension only frees up about 4m. Cutting him would free up a nice 8m. I think, no I KNOW, Jets can find a mediocre quarterback at a half price. Sparano has struggled to develop a quarterback into an above average quarterback. Statistically, Sanchez is an above average quarterback but he is far from a true quarterback. Also, Ryan wants the offense to return back to a boring ground and pound. What is the point of overpaying Sanchez to play this kind of offense.

I don't understand why Jets franchise has insisted on protecting Sanchez but Whatever!

Ferguson's restructure would only cover Scott's expense if Jets could not trade him as Jets seemingly incline to get rid of him.

I may give Hunter another chance at RT because Sparano will use a simple preset motion or lack of it. Ferguson and his company gave up too many sacks as a result of Scottenheimer's complicated preset motions. Also, Jets will rely on the running game so pass protection may be lesser priority for Jets right now.

Safety remains weak throughout the organization, free agency and draft but I learned that Atgowe (will try to spell his name right once he is with Jets) is cut. Jets should make a reasonable offer to him to see if he bites. Once the attempt is successful, Jets could find a way to draft Norte Dame's Harrison Smith. It ought to bolster the safety depth. Otherwise, Jets should not be overaggressive on gathering S.

I like to see Jets find a way to get WR Rueben Randle, Andre Branch and Harrison Smith in first 2 rounds.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:48 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Now that Schottenheimer has moved on to St. Louis, there is a very real possibility that Sanchez may figure it out. Brian Schottenheimer is known for his complex offenses that require quarterback input and according to SI.com/Draft Insider expert Tony Pauline, Schottenheimer’s playbook made Einstein’s theory of special relativity look like Jessica Simpson’s diary.

Why was the Jets offensive line so bad last year and why did so many players underachieve? Part of the problem is that the playbook was so thick and the blocking schemes so complicated many of the offensive lineman were over thinking all season. via Draft Insider

Quarterbacks have struggled in a Schottenheimer offense before but 29 touchdowns and 31 interceptions through three seasons is atrocious. Especially when you have Ladainian Tomlinson leading the ground game. However, those aren’t Mark Sanchez’s numbers. Those statistics belonged to then SD QB Drew Brees.

Before Drew Brees was a Super Bowl MVP, the single season passing yardage record holder and the savior of a city, he was a pedestrian passer bogged down by a Schottenheimer offense. Back then, Brian’s father Marty was the Chargers head coach and Brian was quarterbacks coach. Marty's father had the same reputation of quarterbacks struggling in his system until the click switched in Bress' head.

In 2003, his third season, Brees threw 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. In Week 9 of the 2003 season, the Chargers were forced to abandon their practice facility because of the poor air quality. That’s how badly Drew Brees and the Chargers passing offense stunk it up against the 3-5 Chicago Bears defense. Brees completed just 7-of-15 passes for 49 yards and an interception before he was replaced by 41-year old backup Doug Flutie.

In his fourth season Brees threw for 24 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. His situation in San Diego closely resembles Sanchez’s but history diverged Friday when the Jets put their commitment to Sanchez in writing.

Great excerpts from SB Nation...I've kept reading the blog for a while and couldn't let that rip on Sanchez stand. Give him a chance. Retooling the QB situation would cripple the cap and franchise. The Jets really committed to him for 2 more years. If he continues to be inconsistent they can cut ties easily. If not they have him at a cheap 12 mil for a franchise QB in the prime of his career.

Remember Donovan McNabbs Contract "Extension" it was a protection scheme for the Eagles and a way to keep cap room. Sanchez haters remember, the stats for Brees and Eli and note how Sanchez has exceeded those and the favorable comparisons regarding his progress.

The Jets should be retooling the D (Pass rush and seam coverage) and bolstering the Line NOT finding a new QB 3 years into his tenure in the NFL. Go back to running the ball controling the clock, keeping the D off the field!, and getting chunk plays from playaction. If Chad Pennington thinks Sanchez has the work ethic and he's flashed the skill set, let's stick with the guy who's manned the helm to two AFC championships and give him the right tools to help on offense and the identity to get the Defense back on track.

My hopes for FA/Draft:
1)Sign Landry/Nelson and Leonhard Signed for vets
2) Sign Jarrett Johnson and/or Jameel McLean provided Bart Scott isn't back
3)Draft a Safety for the future (Martin in the second, Barron in the first if a LB isnt there)
4)Draft a LB (ILB-Hightower or OLB-Upshaw/Ingram)
5)Draft another WR (Nick Toon/AJ Jenkins/Marvin jones [yes bc of his name] and if in the 2nd Stephen Hill would be GREAT value if still there)
6) Draft a midrounder OL to compete, blue collar, angry streak, BIG BODY, positional diversity would be great. Ideally to replace Hunter, but I think they're sticking with VLAD (sadly)

Good to be back, I'll see you all again around draft time
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

Thoughts:

Much rather have Nelson over Landry and Meriweather. Meriweather's talent was always overplayed - big hitter that can't cover, plus he kept getting fined/flagged. Landry is a good safety, but a more in the box safety which we have about 12 of. Nelson is a true free safety, able to cover TEs and WRs down the field. Not a great tackler, but not many free safeties are.

Sign either Anthony Collins or Eric Winston. I think Winston is a better RT, however I think he will need more money to sign. Many blogs/writers that I trust say that Collins was by far the best RT free agent before Winston cut, and it's a tossup between the two.

Other than that, a backup QB is fine. Then head in to the draft and grab a pass rushing OLB, some offensive line depth, a #2 WR and another safety. Using the four or five compensatory picks, grab a kicker and punter to battle with Conley and Folk. Westhoff says this draft is really deep amongst all the special teams positions.

Sanchez is our QB for at least the next 2 seasons - accept it and move on. If our draft went Upshaw - Toon - Iloka, I would be ecstatic.
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets fans I have come in peace. It seems that the Dolphins have signed Jamaal Westerman. What are the opinions about him on this board and why didnt you guys tender him?

Last edited by Da-Phins : 03-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
Jets fans I have come in peace. It seams that the Dolphins have signed Jamaal Westerman. What are the opinions about him on this board and why didnt you guys tender him?
Not good against the run and a decent pass rusher at best.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
Jets fans I have come in peace. It seems that the Dolphins have signed Jamaal Westerman. What are the opinions about him on this board and why didnt you guys tender him?
Rex's pet project out of Rutgers. Showed flashes of pass-rushing but not able to do it consistently. Not a great mental player, can overpursue, etc.
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Westerman's a good backup player. Smart, relatively versatile, plays special teams well. They tried to teach him both ILB and OLB pretty early on. Doesn't set the edge all that well as a 3-4 OLB and wasn't a great pass rusher, so he was kind of expendable. For the roll he fills, he's a solid player. Jets have Maybin as one backup OLB and will presumably draft another, so he was expendable.

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised with how the Jets have handled the cap space they have this offseason. Looks like there's still about 11 million in room to spend (assuming around 2 million goes to rookies), plus potentially another 2 million if they bring in a couple of safeties and Smith gets cut.

The Pouha deal was excellent, seems like it's essentially a 2 year deal for the Jets though they can get out of it after 1 for some dead money and essentially have an option for a third year. Not a huge cap hit this year and they needed him back for at least another season or two. Gives Ellis some time to develop and hopefully in 2 years he's ready to take over, I really like what I've seen.

Was pretty happy with the Thomas re-signing as well, comes a lot cheaper than a guy like Jarrett Johnson would have and doesn't really add much to the cap (think it was like 150k to have him over whoever the lowest of the top 50 salaries was). Veterans minimum deal, seems like he's getting healthy, knows the defense, versatile, and was very much missed last year after his injury. If healthy he's a good stopgap, doesn't prevent the team from drafting an OLB at any point. Plus he's a good locker room guy and really wanted to be a Jet, his quotes about wanting to stick around as soon as he was told they wanted him back and coming back basically immediately on pretty much a veterans minimum deal were awesome. Nice to have somebody who wants to be on the team.

Lots of guys coming in today and tomorrow. Nelson would be a solid signing with how weak the safety market is and I think he's a fit for what's needed, don't think either Quinn or Stanton does much as a backup QB so I'd just rather whoever's cheapest. Schillens is an alright WR although I'd be concerned about starting him, would rather bring in Cotchery and draft somebody big and fast. If they bring in Schillens and that's it I think it's a sign they want to draft a guy or potentially sign Edwards when he can work out after the draft. Then Landry's coming in this weekend, he and Nelson would be an interesting pairing and I think they could afford it. Bring in Anthony Collins or maybe Vernon Carey on a reasonable deal to play RT along with a bunch of the other guys they bring in and I think that caps a solid if not splashy offseason. Leaves a bunch of options heading into the draft, too.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-16-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So they signed Stanton (1 year, $1.25 million) and Schilens. Probably a bit more than I would have liked to give a completely non-threat backup QB, but I guess it's not the worst thing. Slightly concerned they think Schilens will start, but I bet it makes WR a bit more likely.

By the way for the record, I wonder if Stephen Hill is a sleeper option at 16. Jets need a big receiver who can get vertical and also run block. Be a part of some of those "chunk plays" Sparano wants to find, force some safety attention so Holmes has a little more freedom on the other side, and block in a run oriented offense...His strengths fit exactly what's needed, he doesn't have to be a monster early on, has a ton of upside, and should be on the board at 16. I'm not saying I would like them to do it, but it does make sense. Particularly if Schilens is the de facto #2 heading into the draft. He fits almost to a T.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way our off-season is going right now it looks like were gonna be set up to just take BPA at 16. whether its richardson falling, one of the pass-rushers of someone like Hill theres no doubt were gonna be able to nab a very talented player

Now just hoping we sign Landry or Nelson. Nelson visited today and left without a contract Landry comes in tomorrow

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
The way our off-season is going right now it looks like were gonna be set up to just take BPA at 16. whether its richardson falling, one of the pass-rushers of someone like Hill theres no doubt were gonna be able to nab a very talented player

Now just hoping we sign Landry or Nelson. Nelson visited today and left without a contract Landry comes in tomorrow
Thought Nelson stayed over into today? I kind of hope they sign both.

Don't think Hill would be BPA, I just think he's a really solid fit for what's needed at the #2 WR spot and I'd imagine the FO sees the same thing.

Richardson would be awesome, don't think it's realistic I really hope he slips. Bring in a real RT and Richardson and get back to running the ball well. He'd actually catch Sanchez's checkdowns too which would be nice for a change of pace.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So they signed Stanton (1 year, $1.25 million) and Schilens. Probably a bit more than I would have liked to give a completely non-threat backup QB, but I guess it's not the worst thing. Slightly concerned they think Schilens will start, but I bet it makes WR a bit more likely.

By the way for the record, I wonder if Stephen Hill is a sleeper option at 16. Jets need a big receiver who can get vertical and also run block. Be a part of some of those "chunk plays" Sparano wants to find, force some safety attention so Holmes has a little more freedom on the other side, and block in a run oriented offense...His strengths fit exactly what's needed, he doesn't have to be a monster early on, has a ton of upside, and should be on the board at 16. I'm not saying I would like them to do it, but it does make sense. Particularly if Schilens is the de facto #2 heading into the draft. He fits almost to a T.
Stanton is a good signing. He vastly upgrades to Brunnel in athleticism, age and salary. I want a quarterback that will start in place of Sanchez if Sanchez struggles but it is unlikely.

Schilens was supposed to be a big steal if he polished his skill set but his injury and development failure hold him down. I doubt that Jets wont draft WR that high just because of him. I don't like Jets drafting a raw prospects that high. Jets' ability to polish prospects' rawness is unimpressive. Jets should go after prospects who can actually play football as I prefer Jets overdraft Branch instead of Hill at 16th if there is no BPA to fit in Jets' system.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Thought Nelson stayed over into today? I kind of hope they sign both.

Don't think Hill would be BPA, I just think he's a really solid fit for what's needed at the #2 WR spot and I'd imagine the FO sees the same thing.

Richardson would be awesome, don't think it's realistic I really hope he slips. Bring in a real RT and Richardson and get back to running the ball well. He'd actually catch Sanchez's checkdowns too which would be nice for a change of pace.

Sparano rarely sends RB downfield. Keller will remain his security blanket. It would be greatly amazing if Sanchez is able to adapt anything.

I can see Richardson fall to either Jets or Chiefs at worst but I am not sure if I am comfortable with taking a RB in the first round since it is ground an pound offense which will wear RB down rapidly. We will see.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Sparano rarely sends RB downfield. Keller will remain his security blanket. It would be greatly amazing if Sanchez is able to adapt anything.

I can see Richardson fall to either Jets or Chiefs at worst but I am not sure if I am comfortable with taking a RB in the first round since it is ground an pound offense which will wear RB down rapidly. We will see.
Not necessarily as a security blanket, but Sanchez does check down to the backs from time to time. I'm sure they'd use Richardson's receiving skills if they had him. Bush had plenty of catches last year, including some big games early in the year.

The concern about wearing him down does make sense, but if they can get him touches both rushing and receiving and mix other players in (Greene, McKnight) it could be fine. Not likely he's on the board anyway.

Read something from Cimini today about Rex really wanting to bring in a pass rusher, which would be nice. Mentioned Upshaw, Ingram, and Branch.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of Pass rushers someone I think would really thrive with us is Mark Anderson. He's most likely gonna be out of our price range tho if we sign one of the safeties. IMO it is a better idea to draft a rusher there are alot of good ones this year. I'd be ecstatic with either Ingram or Upshaw and if Rex believes in Branch Im all for that too.

On another note I really hope we sign both Landry and Nelson. They are both more talented and athletic than any safety we have had in the Rex Ryan era and they are both very versatile as well(especially Landry). I think today is gonna be pretty telling seeing as how Landry is visiting and he has other visits planned affter us. I dont like our chances if he leaves our building without a contract

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Not necessarily as a security blanket, but Sanchez does check down to the backs from time to time. I'm sure they'd use Richardson's receiving skills if they had him. Bush had plenty of catches last year, including some big games early in the year.

The concern about wearing him down does make sense, but if they can get him touches both rushing and receiving and mix other players in (Greene, McKnight) it could be fine. Not likely he's on the board anyway.

Read something from Cimini today about Rex really wanting to bring in a pass rusher, which would be nice. Mentioned Upshaw, Ingram, and Branch.

If 30-45 catches a season is plenty, so be it. If Jets plan to mix with Greene and McKnight then Jets should stay away any RB for 1st round. Turbin or Polk should do the trick.

I am all for Branch but when the last time a pass rusher of ACC has a productive career in NFL?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Speaking of Pass rushers someone I think would really thrive with us is Mark Anderson. He's most likely gonna be out of our price range tho if we sign one of the safeties. IMO it is a better idea to draft a rusher there are alot of good ones this year. I'd be ecstatic with either Ingram or Upshaw and if Rex believes in Branch Im all for that too.

On another note I really hope we sign both Landry and Nelson. They are both more talented and athletic than any safety we have had in the Rex Ryan era and they are both very versatile as well(especially Landry). I think today is gonna be pretty telling seeing as how Landry is visiting and he has other visits planned affter us. I dont like our chances if he leaves our building without a contract

Drafting pass rusher is definitely the way to do.

I am not sure about Landry because he refused to have surgery on his knee for 3 years and has tried alternative medical treatments during that span. Right now, we have no idea whether or not he will play football again. Signing him at minimum is likely which I have no objection.

I forget about Nelson.

FS plans.

Nelson.
Atogwe.
Grant.
Leonhard.
whoever is rookie.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SO Nelson signed with the Bengals, and is out.

Apparently we have now reached out to Atogwe but have not scheduled a visit, and multiple teams are interested in him. So that seems doubtful.

Cro tweeted that he wants to be played at FS, without seeming to realize that would emphasize his inability to tackle even more.

Who cursed us to be stuck with Eric Smith?
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I have no problem with Cro at FS because he is a good ballhawk DB. So far as tackling goes, Jets will have to rely on ILB and SS to cover bigger area which is almost impossible with anyone on Jets' roster. I hate solving a problem and creating a new problem process.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets sign LaRon Landry a single year contract for 4m. wow. Hopefully, it is not a full guarantee.

PO topic, Gallery is with Patriots. Interesting.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I like the landry signing incredible athlete. Really hope his injury doesn't make this a bad signing
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm more than happy with the Landry signing. Now we need to focus on FS. I like Atogwe but a lot of teams are in interested in him so I'm not sure if we'll get him. Really, I'll be fine with just about anybody other than Eric Smith.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote