Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,718
Reputation: 321031
VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Love it...
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,500
Reputation: 198018
Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

What odds do we have on the ADD crowd flipping out when the Niners wait out the first wave of free agency?
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 540
Reputation: 74434
H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
Nobody here complains about the salary Wallace would be getting. Its just that you have to give up your first rounder what makes most not wanting Wallace.
We could end up drafting a WR at 30. With Wallace you know what you are getting...with a draft pick, he could turn out to be great or he may not. Wallace is the best FA WR, restricted or unrestricted on the market all things considered.
H.O.O.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 684
Reputation: 98707
Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

You never 100% know what you are getting because the offense thats different. And i dont say i not want us to sign Wallace but its just a fact that it would mean you give up a big contract and your first round pick which is a big price in my opinion.
Justone2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 540
Reputation: 74434
H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
You never 100% know what you are getting because the offense thats different. And i dont say i not want us to sign Wallace but its just a fact that it would mean you give up a big contract and your first round pick which is a big price in my opinion.
There is a greater chance of Wallace still putting up the same big numbers with us than of us landing a player at 30 who will be close to his talent level. Not saying we won't find a player with that level of talent there, saying the %'s are in signing the proven guys favor.
H.O.O.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The NFC West. Where people play defense.
Posts: 10,929
Reputation: 2440291
Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

A deep threat only guy like Wallace just doesn't fit our offense. We need someone that can also work the intermediate areas. Wallace is elite at being a deep threat, but he doesn't provide much else, and isn't a big redzone threat. I like him a lot, but he would disappoint in SF and I don't want to give up a first for that.

In fact, I'm starting to feel like we're not going to spend on a No. 1 WR in FA and also pass on a WR in the first as well. I just don't see a top FA WR or first round WR getting enough looks to justify the money/draft position in the context of Harbaugh's offense along with Alex's limitations.
__________________


I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,718
Reputation: 321031
VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.O.D View Post
We could end up drafting a WR at 30. With Wallace you know what you are getting...with a draft pick, he could turn out to be great or he may not. Wallace is the best FA WR, restricted or unrestricted on the market all things considered.
Wow, I thought that was Dan for a second. Wallace isnt the best WR in free agency. That's purely speculation on your part. We can argue all day whether he is or he isnt. I'd take Meachem over him everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. The real question is do you really think that Baalke would give up what it takes to get him? Then pay him like a # 1 WR? I don't....not for a second.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,913
Reputation: 2120083
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Oh my goodness I love this. I like how he looks like a total badass in the picture too.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,913
Reputation: 2120083
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Wow, I thought that was Dan for a second. Wallace isnt the best WR in free agency. That's purely speculation on your part. We can argue all day whether he is or he isnt. I'd take Meachem over him everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. The real question is do you really think that Baalke would give up what it takes to get him? Then pay him like a # 1 WR? I don't....not for a second.
Meachem is okay, but come on. I don't see him doing what Wallace did in Pittsburgh over the last few years.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,652
Reputation: 106395
dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Just some thoughts since im not going to quote a bunch of posts.

First.....the Sanchez shouldnt impact the Smith deal period. Sanchez is only receiving an extra $2.75m guaranteed in exchange for an extra three years added to his contract and all three of those years have a roster bonus due on the 15th day on the league year, meaning that the extension was a good move for the Jets and a bad move for Sanchez. So, this extension is fluff and shouldnt impact the Smith contract whatsoever.

Second.....regarding Smith, if I was Baalke, I wouldnt give in period. Let Smith walk and sign Orton who's an upgrade over Smith. If Orton can make a receiver like Lloyd look awesome, imagine what he could do with Davis and Crabtree. Plus, signing Orton for two or three years would still allow the team to stay with their current plan of starting Kaepernick in two to three years.

Third.....we NEED and SHOULD sign a FA WR. If not signing Wallace, than at least Garcon but since he turned down $7m a season from Indy, I think he cares more about following Manning than money. As for Wallace, he's EXACTLY what we need because he adds the element that we dont have - a speed threat. We already have the possession receiver in Crabtree, slot guy in Williams. We need that speed threat on the outside. And yeah, he would cost a lot and I never said that he wouldnt but he's easily worth the risk plus being a 49ers fan growing up and Steve Young being his favorite player, he'll want to make sure that when all is said and done, he'll be the third best receiver in Niners history behind Rice and Owens. That will push him. Plus, he's a team guy and has a good work ethic. He's the perfect Harbaugh type guy.

I said back in December that the 49ers should have contacted Owens and/or Moss. Now, it appears that Baalke is willing to look at Moss. Sorry, but you're three months too late. Niners had an opportunity this past season and they screwed it up whether anyone here wants to admit it or not. With the Cardinals and Seahawks most likely set to improve and with the Rams raping the Redskins and having the draft picks to build the next three seaons, our division is going to get tougher, not easier. Baalke needs to make an impact and by signing Wallace (or Garcon if possible) will do that because both of them would easily surpass Crabtree on the depth chart and add the element that we need the most. Everyone here says that we dont need a speed receiver but we do because until we get a receiver that can spread out the defense and secondary, our passing game will continue to be average at best. There's a reason why the Giants beat us and NE - neither us or NE has that deep threat to spread out the defense. Every defender stays around the LOS and in that area which limits what the QB, receivers and offense can do. Evereyone here needs to see that and if you dont...rewatch the loss to the Giants.

Also, its sad that after having Montana/Rice, Young/Rice, Garcia/Owens that everyone here is happy with the average passing offense that we currently have. I dont understand that at all. Every off-season, im always wanting a bunch of FA's and the reason was simple - the team sucked for 9 years and wanted them to get good sooner rather than later. NOW, with the team having the defense, special teams, running game and a good young core...all thats missing is that one element the offense needs - a deep threat playmaking WR. No rookie is going to make an impact like Wallace (or Garcon) will. And now, that im thinking about it, I would be talking to the agent for Orton because if I can sign him for the same or less than Smith, thats what I do and say goodbye to Smith. Orton is clearly an upgrade over Smith, keeps the Kaepernick plan intact and if we add one of those two receivers, should definitely improve the passing game.

Fourth.....if we sign Garcon and can move up to draft Fleener....I'll be a happy camper because Garcon is better than Crabtree and becomes our number one WR and imagine Garcon, Crabtree, Williams in the slot, Davis and Fleener. We should finally have a passing attack which we need in a passing league.

Fifth.....aside from WR, our entire team is set for at least a few years and with the division getting tougher and our team in its prime, now is the time to make a move that puts us as favorites to win the SB...as opposed to just getting there or just winning the division.

49ers will never win a SB unless they become more aggressive. I have always said that they needed to get back to the WCO, they did and look how good they did with that move and coaching staff that uses the WCO. Like I always said, get back to the basics that won us five SB championships. It was more a QB/WR combo than anything else and everyone here knows it but yet, thinks that we dont need that but we do.

As much as I want Wallace, I'll be happy with Garcon and hopefully Fleener in the draft. As for QB, I go after Orton if he's the same or cheaper as Smith because like I said, Smith isnt worth what he's asking for but thats just me.

Everyone says that Baalke is a smart football businessman, let's see him prove it. And I hope he does because after getting to where we were this past season, I'll be pissed if we decline when we shouldnt.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,718
Reputation: 321031
VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
A deep threat only guy like Wallace just doesn't fit our offense. We need someone that can also work the intermediate areas. Wallace is elite at being a deep threat, but he doesn't provide much else, and isn't a big redzone threat. I like him a lot, but he would disappoint in SF and I don't want to give up a first for that.

In fact, I'm starting to feel like we're not going to spend on a No. 1 WR in FA and also pass on a WR in the first as well. I just don't see a top FA WR or first round WR getting enough looks to justify the money/draft position in the context of Harbaugh's offense along with Alex's limitations.
I see your point to a certain extent. That's why I dont think we'll spend big money on WR in free agency, no matter how bad I want us to. But Alex won't be the QB here forever. If Baalke has his way, he'll only be the QB for at least 3 more years. It makes more sense if your thinking long-term and looking to build towards the future(CK), to use the draft to pair him with another young player on the outside. Whether Jimbaugh is a big deep ball coach or not, we do look deep a few times a game. And it is glaringly, the weakest position and the biggest need on the team. I mean look at Baalke's draft track record. 2010, O-Line was a huge need and we needed to protect the QB better. Enter Iupati and Davis. 2011, pass-rush was huge need. Enter Aldon Smith. I see a pattern. Whether this offense values the WR as much as others can't really be determined until the entire offense has been installed and the staff have a complete off-season to focus on the little things needed to make us more efficent. But what I do know is that Baalke covets talent....at any position. And he will address a need with the first pick....I think that has been proven. So Im fairly confident, if we're on the clock and there is a WR that Baalke really likes, sitting there, he's going to be the pick.

But totally agree with Wallace. Not the right fit for this offense. I've said that many times before.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-10-2012 at 04:31 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,528
Reputation: 49479
binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
we could see what Colin Kaepernick could do.

We don't have time for this crap right now imo. We gotta go for it again,the next two years. I figure Kap will need at least 2 years to be legit, or put up a QBR above 90 for a year for instance. We need to go now, now is the time.
__________________
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,500
Reputation: 198018
Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Good lord Dan, either your comprehension is below the level of Bubbles the chimp or you shouldn't try to cross traffic without help. As long as you aren't quoted your posts just became infinitely more valuable.

Last edited by Rabscuttle : 03-10-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,718
Reputation: 321031
VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Meachem is okay, but come on. I don't see him doing what Wallace did in Pittsburgh over the last few years.
Why wouldnt you? What can Wallace do that Meachem cant beside run faster in a striaght line? Meachem can run EVERY route. Wallace? Not so much. Meachem can work the intermediate middle and is a bigger red-zone target/threat, to go along with being a legitmate deep ball threat. Now did I say Meachem was the best WR in all free agency? No....because thats subjective. But I think he's a much more complete WR than Wallace.....by a landslide actually.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,718
Reputation: 321031
VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Damn Dan.....you need a drink, pronto

Alex says he's not worried, a deal will get done soon....
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-get-done.html
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,652
Reputation: 106395
dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
Good lord Dan, either your comprehension is below the level of Bubbles the chimp or you shouldn't try to cross traffic without help. As long as you aren't quoted your posts just became infinitely more valuable.
Actually, I comprehend things very well. I just look at things differently from everyone else because most people are too stupid and quite simply dont even have common sense to do so. If you cant comprehend my post, then you my friend have problems because anyone with a brain in their head would easily be able to comprehend what I said. Sorry if you dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Damn Dan.....you need a drink, pronto

Alex says he's not worried, a deal will get done soon....
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-get-done.html
I dont drink period. And of course, Alex isnt worried....his agent already knows if he has an equal or better offer on the table from another team.

And I agree with Binary.....team needs to go be aggressive and win a SB NOW...team could still draft a WR in the mid rounds or in two years when Kaepernick takes over but in order to win now, no rookie WR is going to help you at 30 and if that actually happens, I will kiss everyone's ass on this team forum.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 684
Reputation: 98707
Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

So basically everyone here is an idiot because we dont agree with you.
Justone2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,652
Reputation: 106395
dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
So basically everyone here is an idiot because we dont agree with you.
No...I said everyone here is an idiot if they cant comprehend or understand what I said. I dont care if you agree with me or not but quite simply, how our number one NEED and BIGGEST WEAKNESS seems to get pushed aside by almost everyone here on this team forum is mind boggling and puzzling to say the least. I have no problem with if someone wants Meachem but I dont think he's going to help us. I also dont think that Jackson or Colston would help either and neither one of them are worth a 5 year or longer deal because of their age. If you're going to pay a player a long term deal with a large amount of guaranteed money, always better to go after the youngest player if possible.

And yeah, im playing favorites with Wallace but if Crabtree was a speed threat and we needed that big body type guy, then you would probably hear me say that I want Jackson or Colston but I dont because thats not what the offense needs in my opinion.

Seriously, when you look at the roster...a premiere playmaking number one WR is the only major need. Every other position is either set for at least two years or is a minor need.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 19,913
Reputation: 2120083
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
We don't have time for this crap right now imo. We gotta go for it again,the next two years. I figure Kap will need at least 2 years to be legit, or put up a QBR above 90 for a year for instance. We need to go now, now is the time.
Well if Alex is gone (which I'd be shocked if it happened) there isn't much we can do about it.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 684
Reputation: 98707
Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
No...I said everyone here is an idiot if they cant comprehend or understand what I said. I dont care if you agree with me or not but quite simply, how our number one NEED and BIGGEST WEAKNESS seems to get pushed aside by almost everyone here on this team forum is mind boggling and puzzling to say the least. I have no problem with if someone wants Meachem but I dont think he's going to help us. I also dont think that Jackson or Colston would help either and neither one of them are worth a 5 year or longer deal because of their age. If you're going to pay a player a long term deal with a large amount of guaranteed money, always better to go after the youngest player if possible.

And yeah, im playing favorites with Wallace but if Crabtree was a speed threat and we needed that big body type guy, then you would probably hear me say that I want Jackson or Colston but I dont because thats not what the offense needs in my opinion.

Seriously, when you look at the roster...a premiere playmaking number one WR is the only major need. Every other position is either set for at least two years or is a minor need.
you really think that in Harbaugh's offense Mike Wallace would be an ideal fit. I don't because this whole offense is build on bal-control and taking opportunity's when they are there without forcing them. Wallace is without a doubt the best deep threat that is available but in the shorter game he isn't that good. The biggest problem in the passing game where 3rd down and in the redzone. The first you may solve with Wallace but the second problem would be still there. There is simply no guy available that would fit our offense and solve the problems we have so why give up that first rounder and a lot of capspace to get a guy who wouldn't be that true number 1 receiver because he basically only is a deep threat.
Justone2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,652
Reputation: 106395
dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
you really think that in Harbaugh's offense Mike Wallace would be an ideal fit. I don't because this whole offense is build on bal-control and taking opportunity's when they are there without forcing them. Wallace is without a doubt the best deep threat that is available but in the shorter game he isn't that good. The biggest problem in the passing game where 3rd down and in the redzone. The first you may solve with Wallace but the second problem would be still there. There is simply no guy available that would fit our offense and solve the problems we have so why give up that first rounder and a lot of capspace to get a guy who wouldn't be that true number 1 receiver because he basically only is a deep threat.
I do believe that Wallace would fit in with the offense because finally having a legitimate deep threat would open up a lot more of Harbaugh's playbook and even on short inside slants, Wallace can make a play like that a TD at any time because of his speed to get away from defenders. Harbaugh's ball controlled offense is based on two things - he doesnt have the speed receiver that spreads out the defense and while he says he loves Smith, he doesnt have the confidence in him to let him loose.

I agree with the problems in regards to the red zone and 3rd down but thats more on the play-calling aspect than who's on the field. To me, the best way to solve those two problems is by limiting how many times we even get in that position to begin with. People want that big target for those situations where as I prefer to go after a guy who's playmaking ability after the catch will lessen those situations to begin with. Instead of trying to fix that problem with a band aid, my thinking is to limit how many times the offense is in that situation to begin with.

Wallace is said to only run two routes but the two routes he runs is what the team needs and the inside slant has been in the WCO for what seems like forever. What Wallace does, he excels in and while people may bash him for whatever reason, when you look at Smith, he's not a complete QB yet, Harbaugh wants to keep him. Every player regardless of position has their own strengths and weaknesses. Its up to the coaching staff to use the strengths and hide the weaknesses as best as possible.

When you look at the Giants loss, it wasnt because of the fumbles, it was because the passing offense was existent and thats a direct result of not having a deep threat on the outside. If you dont have a receiver that spreads out the secondary and front seven, your passing offense will never be good because no defense will ever fear it. When you look at SF, every defense focuses on Gore and then Davis but Gore is always the main focus because of how the offense is run. Add Wallace and that main focus at the very least gets split 50/50.

Also, have to improve the passing attack because unlike last season, no one is going to be surprised by us, our offense or how the team plays on offense. Need to add that element that we didnt have last season. If we had a Wallace or a WR with his ability and skill/talent level, I dont even think that we would have ever been in OT against the Giants. We would have won instead. No defense fears Crabtree or the other receivers but make them a slot lower and add a deep threat at number one and that all changes. Defenses wouldnt be able to stack 8 or 9 in the box, they would be forced to spread out their defense.

Smith can throw the deep ball and isnt as bad as people think but when you only Davis on that deep route, you tend to overthrow the ball because you're worried about getting intercepted. Wallace would eliminate that worry and even if Smith overthrows him, more times than not, Wallace has the speed to still catch the ball and make a play.

The way we won 14 games this past season isnt going to happen again especially when every defense we play in 2012 knows exactly how we play. We need to change that perception and force defenses to make adjustments that they normally wouldnt have made. Granted, Wallace has a far better QB in PIT but without another weapon on the outside, Smith will never get better than what he was this past season. You look at the Saints and Eagles games and while im not happy with him right now, I do believe that Smith can get better and have more 300 3 TD games than not but only if he gets that playmaking receiver on the outside.

And yeah, giving up a long term deal and the 30th overall draft pick is a lot. I never said it wasnt but the positives far outweight the negatives and is worth the gamble and risk. You win by being aggressive and going after what you want. Not by being consertative because while that will work, eventually it will bite you in the ass. Its just a matter of time and for us, that time came in the NFCCG.

When you look at the 49ers roster and what our needs are and who our UFA's will be in 2013 and 2014, next off-season will be spent re-signing the majority of them which means this off-season is the time that we'll actually be able to go get a number one WR. And yeah, I would also trade the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round draft picks this year to go back into the first round if Fleener slips into the 20's and then trade Walker. Yeah, thats giving up a lot of draft picks but when you look at the team, how many of them are really going to start or make an impact. Majority of them will be backups/special teamers/practice squad guys. Thats why I say this is the off-season to make the few moves that need to be made to get us not just to the NFCCG but more importantly the SB and most importantly, win it and preferably in a blowout.

Of course, thats just my own opinion. I know few if any will agree with it but at the very least, everyone should be able to understand and comprehend what im saying whether anyone here likes it or not.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 684
Reputation: 98707
Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I understand your reasoning but just hypothetically speaking if we would end up with drafting Hill(really hope he is there at 30) and signing Chaz Schillens(big red zone target when not injured) and keeping Morgan and Ginn i wouldn't feel bad because while we still wouldn't have that true number 1 receivers we have some good receivers that all can do damage.

Because while the NFL is a pass driven league knowadays it doesn't automatically mean you have to go the same way. The strength of the 49ers right know is the defense and special teams combined with an offense that doesn't give much away. When you are that good at those things as they where last season you dont have to have 300 yard passing but you can do with 200 yards passing because of your field position and such. That its getting a pass driven league will mean that most teams build around that on defense so when you give them something they dont see that often you have an advantage. Just build from your strenghts while not forgetting your weaknesses is the most important in my vision.
Justone2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:09 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,652
Reputation: 106395
dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2
I understand your reasoning but just hypothetically speaking if we would end up with drafting Hill(really hope he is there at 30) and signing Chaz Schillens(big red zone target when not injured) and keeping Morgan and Ginn i wouldn't feel bad because while we still wouldn't have that true number 1 receivers we have some good receivers that all can do damage.
Hill is the only rookie receiver I would be happy about at 30 but I do prefer Fleener by far. In the end, he's still a rookie receiver and I dont think that he'll make an impact for at least two or more years. Fleener would make a bigger impact because of him being with Harbaugh and knowing the playbook better than Hill would coming in and Fleener is like a Jimmy Graham type and just imagine the combination of him and Davis.

Schillens I dont understand. He's a bottom of the depth chart type guy who's been injury prone throughout his career. I just dont see the point in wasting money, time and a roster spot on a guy like him. I'm sorry, I just dont see the point of going after him, let alone signing him. I would let Morgan leave as an UFA because with my plan, unless injuries occur, the 4th receiver would barely play. Ginn should be re-signed because of his return abilities. He has speed but he cant catch worth a damn which makes his speed useless as a receiver. Ginn would be 5th on my depth chart with a mid round rookie WR 4th. Wallace, Crabtree and Williams would be 1-3 with Williams in the slot and imagine them three along with Davis at TE and Fleener in the slot opposite Williams. Come on...now thats an offense with weapons who the defense has to account for.

A WR group of Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Schillens and Ginn is the same as what we had in 2011....a WR core that no defense fears and gameplans around. The only weapons defenses would concentrate on would be Davis and again, Davis cant do it all alone. Crabtree is better suited as a number two receiver and here's another reason why I would bring in a WR who would automatically become our number one WR - to push Crabtree because without a WR pushing him, I wouldnt be surprised at all if he somehow someway manages to miss yet another training camp and pre-season. Acquiring Mike Wallace puts Crabtree on notice and allows us to trade Crabtree down the line if he doesnt improve and more importantly put in the work ethic.

I'm more concerned about NOW as opposed to three years or so down the line when Kaepernick takes over because by that time, we'll have the 2013, 2014 and 2015 drafts to build around that guy and replace a starter here and there. To me, this off-season is critical in regards to being aggressive to win a SB or just be another pretender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2
Because while the NFL is a pass driven league knowadays it doesn't automatically mean you have to go the same way. The strength of the 49ers right know is the defense and special teams combined with an offense that doesn't give much away. When you are that good at those things as they where last season you dont have to have 300 yard passing but you can do with 200 yards passing because of your field position and such. That its getting a pass driven league will mean that most teams build around that on defense so when you give them something they dont see that often you have an advantage. Just build from your strenghts while not forgetting your weaknesses is the most important in my vision.
I'm not looking for the 49ers offense to be pass happy or see Smith throw 50 times a game. The 49ers defense is awesome and their special teams is damn good but scoring more points on offense, adding the speed element on offense that spreads out the defense will open up the run more, keep Gore fresh for the playoff run instead of running him into the ground, allows the defense to stay fresh instead of being on the field longer than they should be. Having that extra element of a Wallace will allow us to be more aggressive instead of consertative all the time which quite honestly, kills us. Also, having that element means that we CAN pass effectively when we want to or at times if we need to. The scared part would be gone because now the element that was missing a year ago has been added and it changes not only how our offense plays but more importantly, how opposing defenses play against us.

Right now, theres not a defense in the league that fears our passing game and even our offense as a whole because they know that Gore is option number one and Davis number two. Add Wallace and that assumption and focus goes out the window.

Before I forget, people will think im nuts for giving four draft picks for basically two players but adding Fleener gives us that Graham type weapon and adds another big playmaker in the redzone that a lot of people here want and when you already have Davis and Wallace, Fleener more times than not will be forgotten and thus open or at least one on one and with his size, he should win that battle more times than not.

Drafting Fleener would also allow us to trade Walker (who I do like) but Fleener is more physical weapons and more importantly, Walker is an UFA next year so instead of waiting to see him most likely leave in order to be a starter and for money, we get something in return for him while adding a bigger weapon in Fleener for five years.

To me, its about quality over quantity. Adding a starter in Wallace and then Fleener as the second TE would only give Smith weapons but also Kaepernick when the time comes. You cant expect any QB to be successful without weapons because thats rare. The last pure defense to win a SB was the 2000 Ravens and I'll even add in the 2002 Buccaneers just for the hell of it. Every team in the last 14 or so years all had receivers, a passing attack and granted, a better QB than Alex Smith. And while im not happy with Smith right now, I do believe that he could be as good or better than Garcia was but Garcia had Owens. Crabtree is not even half as good as T.O. For Smith to become better and for Harbaugh to take the chains off of him and Roman, the offense needs more weapons at the receiving position.

Wallace (WR) and Fleener (TE) would do just that and be around for the long term as well. Also, Wallace is a team guy, has good work ethic, etc. He's basically a receiver you wouldnt mind paying because he's not a diva or anything like that plus he's clean off the field. How can you not like or prefer a guy like that especially when he adds the element that the offense is missing the most.

After Wallace, im only hoping for DB Jason Allen. Thats it. Two FA's. As for our own guys, re-sign Smith but I wouldnt cave to him and honestly, if he doesnt sign by Monday, I would go after Orton because he's at least equal if not better than Smith and keeps the Kaepernick plan intact that Baalke has. Re-sign Snyder for two years, Brock, Costanzo and Ginn. Trade up for Fleener and call it an off-season.

Doing that IMPROVES your team, keeps 20/22 starters and special teams intact while not overspending or giving up future draft picks. When you look at a three year plan which is what it appears Baalke has, this is the off-season in which the team can overpay a WR like Wallace and take the chance. The difference is that i would much rather take the chance on Wallace who'll be 26 in August as opposed to a 29 year old Vincent Jackson or 28 year old in June in Marques Colston.

I wouldnt be pissed if we signed Garcon (and age wise, I'll be honest, Meachem who'll be 27 in September wouldnt be horrible either and I do prefer him over Jackson/Colston) but compared to Wallace, my main thing is that I just dont think either Garcon/Meachem/rookie WR is going to spread out opposing defenses like I want to see. To me, thats the key to improving the offense while not being pass happy. Spreading out the defense with a legitimate playmaking deep threat. Meachem and Garcon may have speed but as much as Wallace and remember, they do play in a dome on turf which changes everything including making them appear faster than people think they are.

But hey, thats my own personal opinion. People dont have to agree with it whatsoever. In fact, if anything, im surprised if/when anyone here agrees with me but thats nothing new so no biggie.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 684
Reputation: 98707
Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The reason i named Schillens is because i think he is the type of the guy that can be signed by Baalke. A low profile guy that has upside and when fit can make an impact in the red-zone. Also i think that Morgan showed last season before his ankle injury that he can become a number 1 receiver. Besides that he knows the playbook and i guess earns less. Why i prefer Hill above Fleener is because Hill has a much bigger upside but when Hill is gone before our pick Fleener can be an option altough our TE-core is a strong one already.
Justone2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,346
Reputation: 1743492
phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I'll try to do this with "pictures" because I can't seem to say it and be understood...


How does Fleener make a bigger impact?



___________________
Code:
CB    FS     SS   CB
WR    TE  TE WR
    LB        LB          LB
                     RB       

DE     DT       DT      DE
 LT    LG   C    RG     RT
           QB
____________________

22 players within 15 yards of each other (18 inside the hashes.)


Fleener is an AMAZING threat, but he will only show tremendous dividends if the 49ers add a WR that can stretch the field in order to create more space within the middle of the field (as you can see it's cluttered, and there are more defenders than offensive players.) Without that added space, multiple TE sets aren't as effective.


The 49ers need "this"...

_____________
Code:
CB FS
WR

                  SS
                TE

           CB 
             WR 

LB       LB
TE           RB LB

      DE DT DT DE
      LT LG C RG RT
              QB

MORE SPACE to create plays!!!!



/ really dumb stick-in-dirt session
__________________

Last edited by phlysac : 03-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.