Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice24 View Post
Damn, thats exciting. Lets hope the Redskins suck the next three years and those become premium draft picks. I dont think we willl get Claiborne, Blackmon and obviously Kalil at 6 though.
If Cleveland or Tampa take Richardson, then either Blackmon or Claiborne will be there. So we have to hope one or both of those teams fall in love with Trent, which could happen.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.

NFLN is saying that we got the three 1st rounders, this years 2nd, and additional compensation... Im really curious what other compensation we got?

Also said 4 teams were in serious talks with us about the pick. Clev, Wash, and Miami, but who would of been that other team?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
NFLN is saying that we got the three 1st rounders, this years 2nd, and additional compensation... Im really curious what other compensation we got?

Also said 4 teams were in serious talks with us about the pick. Clev, Wash, and Miami, but who would of been that other team?
The only compensation I've heard is the first this year, and two firsts the next two years, plus this year's second rounder.

As for the fourth team, it's an interesting question. One I will think about as I roll around like Scrooge McDuck in my imaginary vault of the Rams' numerous first round picks.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.

NFLN has it on there breaking news line, Im wondering if we stole a player or two from them aswell... Carriker anyone? haha
Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the trade. This sets up the Rams for the next few years in the draft. But we could possibly see them trade some of those 1st founders if they fall in love with a guy that starts to fall in the draft.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I believe the 4th team was Seattle. I know it sounds crazy, trading within the division and all, but I live in Seattle and that has been the buzz all week, along with the possibility of signing Manning. While I do believe the Seahawks were serious about trading up with the Rams for #2, there was no way the Rams were going to make that deal to send RGIII to a rival. I could see them trading down now if Seattle wanted Tannehill, because I don't think Tannehill really scares anyone, but they weren't gonna do it for Griffin.

I think this really helps clear up the offseason QB picture. Now we are essentially down to 3 sought-after QB's (Manning, Flynn, and Tannehill) and 6 teams in need (Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, Kansas City, Arizona and Denver). The level of need ranges from desperate (Cleveland, Miami, Seattle) to moderately concerned (Kansas City, Arizona, Denver).

If the Rams want to trade down again, the best that we can hope for is for Cleveland to land Flynn and either Arizona or Denver to sign Manning. This would leave Miami in the running as the team to leapfrog, and two or three teams that want to get Tannehill. The key here is that Cleveland signs one of the two free agents; if they don't then I can see Minnesota's phone starting to ring. Tannehill is in no way worthy of a top 5 pick, but now 2 of 5 available QB's are taken and teams are going to start wondering what their season will look like if they don't get a new playcaller.

Personally I think Arizona is the best fit for Manning. They have a fantastic WR and would almost certainly be willing to bring Wayne along for the ride. Whisenhunt has shown the flexibility and intuition to play to his QB's strengths even when his style is different in philosophy. Arizona's fanbase is built on transplants from other parts of the country, making it one of those places that can have more visiting team fans than its own if the team isn't doing well, and I think the Bidwells would love another resurgence that would come from a future HOF QB. Miami keeps getting talked about, but I think that football people are starting to figure out that Stephen Ross is an absolute control freak and Manning will want nothing to do with that.

Another thing that I am hearing more and more is that Matt Flynn isn't all that. One column I read today compared him to Steve Bono. If Philbin really thought he was the real deal then talk of them reuniting in South Florida wouldn't have fizzled out so quickly.

If worst comes to worst, we stay put and take the 4th best non-QB in the draft and we have loaded up on picks in future drafts. I have been waiting for the Rams to be a player in the draft for so long! I am one happy fan right now!

Mr. Snead, if you are reading this...Sammy Watkins, 2014
Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
I love the trade. This sets up the Rams for the next few years in the draft. But we could possibly see them trade some of those 1st founders if they fall in love with a guy that starts to fall in the draft.
I really don't see this draft as being strong enough to trade away future 1st rounders. Some teams trade away next year's first to jump up from the 2nd round, but I am always amazed that they do it...the Patriots have gotten rich off of teams making such desperation moves. One thing that I recall reading about Stan Kroenke was that he had really read up on the Patriots' system of building a team through the draft and wanted to assemble a front office and coaching staff that shared that philosophy.

What I could see more likely happening is a couple of players slipping through the 1st round and the Rams trading down with their top pick in the second round. I have always believed that the most valuable picks in the draft, from a value standpoint, are the early picks on day 2 and day 3 (it used to be just day 2). Teams have had all night to evaluate who was taken and who is left. There are always a couple of players that no one thought would still be around. The fact that you don't have to make a decision in 5 minutes makes that #34 pick really valuable this year. So I think we would have the option of trading down if we wanted, or just staying put. While I don't think there are that many studs in this draft, there is a lot of depth of really good players, and I think we could get two starters out of the second round, and possibly a starter out of the 3rd as well. Then again, as low as our talent level has fallen, I guess that really isn't saying a whole lot.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Just another thought...if Tannehill becomes the hot commodity and is taken in the top 5 then we would be guaranteed of getting either Kalil, Claiborne, or Blackmon.

If someone feels like they need to trade up to #3 to take Tannehill away from Cleveland, the Browns probably don't take Kalil since they already have Joe Thomas. My guess is they either take Richardson or Blackmon.

Does Tampa Bay take Kalil? Or do they take Richardson/Claiborne/Blackmon?

Is it possible that Kalil falls to us at #6? If so I think we take him with no regrets.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Just another thought...if Tannehill becomes the hot commodity and is taken in the top 5 then we would be guaranteed of getting either Kalil, Claiborne, or Blackmon.

If someone feels like they need to trade up to #3 to take Tannehill away from Cleveland, the Browns probably don't take Kalil since they already have Joe Thomas. My guess is they either take Richardson or Blackmon.

Does Tampa Bay take Kalil? Or do they take Richardson/Claiborne/Blackmon?

Is it possible that Kalil falls to us at #6? If so I think we take him with no regrets.
Possible? absolutely, but it's not likely. IMO Minnesota has had Kalil's name written on their card for the past few months now. I just don't see them trading down.

I would love for another trade down if Blackmon or Claiborne aren't there. I think Peyton does sign with Miami and I think Flynn signs with Cleveland, I would say Arizona but after the Kevin Kolb mess I don't think they would go that route again.

So that leaves Kansas City, Seattle, Arizona and possibly the Broncos as teams who could be looking at Quarterback. Heck maybe even Miami, Manning only has a few years left and Tannehill isn't really ready, he's still only started what? 18 games at Quarterback? They could want him to sit and learn.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:49 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Delighted by the trade, I'd still personally like to trade down again if possible and nab DeCastro. My man crush on him is becoming pretty biblical.

Lets just hope we don't **** this up like the last time we had a boatload of picks.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Delighted by the trade, I'd still personally like to trade down again if possible and nab DeCastro. My man crush on him is becoming pretty biblical.

Lets just hope we don't **** this up like the last time we had a boatload of picks.
Cmon man, dont bring up 2001 already... trading down again though would be awesome and it would be Belichick-esque.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Possible? absolutely, but it's not likely. IMO Minnesota has had Kalil's name written on their card for the past few months now. I just don't see them trading down.

I would love for another trade down if Blackmon or Claiborne aren't there. I think Peyton does sign with Miami and I think Flynn signs with Cleveland, I would say Arizona but after the Kevin Kolb mess I don't think they would go that route again.

So that leaves Kansas City, Seattle, Arizona and possibly the Broncos as teams who could be looking at Quarterback. Heck maybe even Miami, Manning only has a few years left and Tannehill isn't really ready, he's still only started what? 18 games at Quarterback? They could want him to sit and learn.
I completely disagree about Minnesota not wanting to trade down. They came out very early and announced that they were interested in trading down, but got no interest because the Rams held the key at #2. Now they are in the driver's seat at #3 if teams decide that they need to move up for Tanny.

I have a feeling that Manning won't be a Dolphin. While they are pursuing him hard, there has been a lot of talk about how Ross has ruined negotiations with Harbaugh last year and then Fisher this year. Manning is not stupid, and he is going to go to the place that best suits him and puts him in the best position for success. I think Arizona is better suited for a few reasons.

1) Team. Arizona has not been great since Kurt Warner left, but they still have pieces from their Super Bowl run. They have the game's best WR, a bruising running game that started coming together last season, and a lot of great pieces on defense. Save for Brandon Marshall, Miami has a lot of pieces to put together offensively.

2) Coaching. Ken Whisenhunt has the respect of his players and they have bought his system. While they have struggled since Warner left, I believe he still has his locker room. He has shown the flexibility to adapt his system to his QB's strengths, which will be highly attractive to Manning.

3) Division. While San Francisco has an extremely solid team, the NFC west is still a much easier division to play in than the AFC east. Playing against Tom Brady twice a year would be really great for the game, but being able to come in and immediately challenge for a division title will be a huge factor.

4) Weather. While it is sunny and warm in Miami, it is cold and crappy in three other places in the wintertime: Boston, Buffalo and New York. St.Louis, Seattle and San Francisco will be much more appealing places to play big division games late in the year.

5) Ownership. While the Bidwells have not been the model of franchise ownership, they generally stay out of the way and let their FO and coaching staff do their thing. Stephen Ross is in the thick of everything in Miami and, while Manning dealt with that in Indianapolis, he knows Irsay. I don't think he will want that kind of drama in his next team.

Miami does have some advantages. They probably have deeper pockets and will be more willing to bring in players at a cost. It is a highly sought-after destination for free agents. They also have a Pro Bowl LT to protect his blind side and a better line overall. The coaching staff is all new, which can be an advantage when bringing in a new QB, because they can all grow together at the same time.

I guess, in the end, it won't completely surprise me if he does end up in Miami, but I don't think the fit is as good and the road to the Super Bowl will be bumpier there.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post

DeCastro is my favorite player in this draft. I think he brings a huge amount of skill and smarts along with a great work ethic and a lunchpail mentality.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
N.E FAN
Rookie

N.E FAN could make a wolverine purr.N.E FAN could make a wolverine purr.N.E FAN could make a wolverine purr.N.E FAN could make a wolverine purr.N.E FAN could make a wolverine purr.N.E FAN could make a wolverine purr.N.E FAN could make a wolverine purr.
Default RG3 Trade

Must feel pretty good knowing you are in the Catbird seat in next three drafts.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With players getting cut, what new Free Agents hitting the market do you think the Rams will Target.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not reallyinterested in anyone that has recently been released.

My current top 5 free agents for the Rams would be.....

1A. Vincent Jackson WR
1B. Cortland Finnegan

2. Jo-Lonn Dunbar
3. Jason Jones
4. Vernon Carey
5. Wallace Gilberry

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 03-11-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There is no chance in hell a team is trading up to #6 to land Tannehill or higher for that matter. The guy has played 18 career games and has put very little on tape this offseason!

Unfortunately, I think the Rams will miss out of the first tier of players (Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Blackmon, Clairborne). Richardson fits talent-wise, but #6 is to early for a running back. I'm not sold on either Poe or Cox and DE isn't a need.

Curious, but if we keep the #6 pick, who do you think we grab?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
There is no chance in hell a team is trading up to #6 to land Tannehill or higher for that matter. The guy has played 18 career games and has put very little on tape this offseason!

Unfortunately, I think the Rams will miss out of the first tier of players (Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Blackmon, Clairborne). Richardson fits talent-wise, but #6 is to early for a running back. I'm not sold on either Poe or Cox and DE isn't a need.

I agree with you on Richardson's position, but at that point, he will likely be the best talent on the board by a decent margin. I'm not a huge fan of Reiff there, and I don't know that any of the DTs have really made a strong case to be considered there either.

If the Rams stay at six, and Kalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne are off the board, I would probably lean Richardson over anyone else. It's mainly due to both his talent but also what I feel is a lack of other viable & worthy options at other positions.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Quote:

Richardson would obviously be the best talent, but if we wanted to fill a need DT would be the best bet even though we'd have to reach for one. Cox is one of my favorite players in the draft, but I heard somewhere the Rams really like Brockers.

I like Ingram better as a prospect, but if we had to go DE Id want Coples just because he had a good season when he was a DT, 10 or 11 sacks I think. He could play inside on passing downs. I dont want this to happen its just a thought
Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

How can you say no one will trade up for Tannehill? The jets traded up to #5 overall to select Mark Sanchez who had what...16 starts at USC, and didn't look that impressive and he certainly isnt the athlete Tannehill is.

With Miami sitting there at #8 and needing a quarterback expecially if Peyton doesn't Sign and Sherman being the teams O-coordinater, was Tannehills head coach in college....you dont think there's any chance a team sees that and thinks **** we gotta get ahead of Miami.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 03-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:

I completely disagree. I can definitely see this happening, especially if Manning goes to either Denver or Arizona, and Flynn goes to Cleveland. This would leave Miami and Seattle both in serious need of a qb, without much else available. While the top 5 is a definite reach for Tannehill, we are seeing a lot of old rules go out the window come draft time in the last few years, especially since the rookie salary cap came into play. The draft value chart has gone out the window and so has the common sense of teams looking for a franchise qb. Not saying it will for sure hppen, but if it does I won't be shocked.

What could even be more compelling is if Manning goes to Denver or Arizona and Flynn goes to Seattle. Now you have Cleveland and Miami, both desperate for a QB, fighting for the right to draft Tannehill, who is a very raw prospect with a high ceiling. If this happens then I think Minnesota's phone starts ringing and Tannehill actually goes at #3. This insures us of getting either Kalil, Claiborne or Blackmon. It actually gives us a chance at Kalil, because I think Cleveland has to pass and probably takes Blackmon, while Tampa probably takes Claiborne.

As far as what we do if we stay put, and this trade doesn't happen, I am more and more thinking along the lines of us taking Richardson. He isn't high on the need chart, but I see this regime taking the BPA approach, and he would fit the bill if Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon are all gone. He is definitely the kind of back that Fisher likes, and Jackson isn't getting any younger. While I think they would really like to have Blackmon fall to them, I think they also realize that there will be some very good receivers available at #34.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Rams released Bannan, Brown, and Robbins today. Saves about $10mil in cap space. What do you guys think theyll do with that extra space?

All of them probably should have been cut, but it seems to me the Rams are making space to make a big splash in FA. Maybe VJax or Colston. Im hoping Colston, solid hands and cheaper price tag although hes not the burner our O probably needs.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Rams released Bannan, Brown, and Robbins today. Saves about $10mil in cap space. What do you guys think theyll do with that extra space?

All of them probably should have been cut, but it seems to me the Rams are making space to make a big splash in FA. Maybe VJax or Colston. Im hoping Colston, solid hands and cheaper price tag although hes not the burner our O probably needs.
I hope they make a play for Vincent Jackson.

And oh, by the way...that trade with Washington is looking better every day. The Redskins just got stripped of $36 million in cap space.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...in_cap_spa ce
Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Rams to release CB Bartell and DE Hall as well.
https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/status/179315101327831040

Last edited by NGSeiler : 03-12-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I hope they make a play for Vincent Jackson.

And oh, by the way...that trade with Washington is looking better every day. The Redskins just got stripped of $36 million in cap space.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...in_cap_spa ce
Technically the trade isnt "finalized" until tomorrow sometime. Does anyone if they could still pull out of the trade?

Its sad to see Hall and Bartell go, they both played well for the Rams in the past.
Closed Thread