Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
The problem with rotating them around is that a lot of people have been known to tear their rotator cuff doing it that way.
That's why they tell you it's better to go simply up and down.

And Rob, if the dumbells aren't heavy enough for you, simply do the shrugs using a standard 45lb bar. Boom. Dumbell weight range doesn't matter anymore.
I personally do them with a shrug bar (along with my deadlifts) and I love that method best.
Thats the thing people have said I do it wrong for, was to tear something.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
The problem with rotating them around is that a lot of people have been known to tear their rotator cuff doing it that way.
That's why they tell you it's better to go simply up and down.

And Rob, if the dumbells aren't heavy enough for you, simply do the shrugs using a standard 45lb bar. Boom. Dumbell weight range doesn't matter anymore.
I personally do them with a shrug bar (along with my deadlifts) and I love that method best.
Yeah, when I do shrugs, they are of the barbell variety.

Zac, you can drink water, green tea, milk (whole if you are lifting), coffee, unsweetened iced tea, diet soda even. Basically anything without sugar is not going to hurt you. Limit sugary beverages to PWO I would say.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what about rotating dbs when benching.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
what about rotating dbs when benching.
Thats dumb. Its just wasted energy imo. Just get the weight up as efficiently as possible.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Yeah, when I do shrugs, they are of the barbell variety.

Zac, you can drink water, green tea, milk (whole if you are lifting), coffee, unsweetened iced tea, diet soda even. Basically anything without sugar is not going to hurt you. Limit sugary beverages to PWO I would say.
Actually, once I heard about the sugar content in Powerade I started drinking more milk. And apparently Im weird bc I cant taste the difference in skim and whole.

And im guessing PWO is post workout haha
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Actually, once I heard about the sugar content in Powerade I started drinking more milk. And apparently Im weird bc I cant taste the difference in skim and whole.

And im guessing PWO is post workout haha
PWO=Post Workout, yeah

And, how the **** can you not taste the difference! Whole milk is the sex, while I detest skim.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PWO is indeed post workout.

Eat a **** ton of beef and chicken, grilled or roasted. It's not impossible to be in shape without eating vegetables. I rarely eat veggies either. Get yourself a good multi though.

And skim>whole. Can't tell the difference either. Or maybe my mind just knows the macro difference isn't worth it.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What supplements do you guys take? Is there a big difference in the types of whey protein? I always by the highest quality i can get but some people swear to me it isnt worth the price.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
What supplements do you guys take? Is there a big difference in the types of whey protein? I always by the highest quality i can get but some people swear to me it isnt worth the price.

1. Depends on budget. I'm a huge proponent of Agmatine though. I also like Beta Alanine. Really though, you'd be set with Multi, Fish Oil, Protein, Creatine.

2. It probably isn't. Look into your blends (Trutein, IForce, AllMax, Myofusion, etc.) if you want something really good. If you're just going for whey though, no need for anything special. Although you'll want to be a step above plastic bags from Costco. Don't do that to yourself.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
PWO=Post Workout, yeah

And, how the **** can you not taste the difference! Whole milk is the sex, while I detest skim.
I just dont taste the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
PWO is indeed post workout.

Eat a **** ton of beef and chicken, grilled or roasted. It's not impossible to be in shape without eating vegetables. I rarely eat veggies either. Get yourself a good multi though.

And skim>whole. Can't tell the difference either. Or maybe my mind just knows the macro difference isn't worth it.
At my school they rarely have grilled or roasted, just chicken patties :/

Im guessing I have to lose pizza, the chicken patties.... FML.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I just dont taste the difference.

At my school they rarely have grilled or roasted, just chicken patties :/

Im guessing I have to lose pizza, the chicken patties.... FML.

You don't have to lose anything. Like I said, you can really eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calories and you're still getting enough protein daily. It sounds so easy, but try and fit an abundance of this stuff in, it's not easy at all.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
You don't have to lose anything. Like I said, you can really eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calories and you're still getting enough protein daily. It sounds so easy, but try and fit an abundance of this stuff in, it's not easy at all.
I dont know how many calories I should eat/ tje calorie amounts for the foods I eat.

Maybe Ill just eat 1 beef sandwich and 1 turkey/ham sandwich for ecery meal, and every once in awhile a bowl of cereal with skim milk. I am a creature of habit on certain things, and food is one of them. I can eat the same thing and not grow old of it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I dont know how many calories I should eat/ tje calorie amounts for the foods I eat.

Maybe Ill just eat 1 beef sandwich and 1 turkey/ham sandwich for ecery meal, and every once in awhile a bowl of cereal with skim milk. I am a creature of habit on certain things, and food is one of them. I can eat the same thing and not grow old of it.
Mifflin-St Jeor equation.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Mifflin-St Jeor equation.
You forget I dont know crap about nutrition and all.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are the thoughts on diet soda. ATL or ROb?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
What are the thoughts on diet soda. ATL or ROb?
Stupid, the artificial sugars are bad for your body because they are unnatural chemicals, and diet soda actually makes you more hungry causing you to probably eat more garbage.

Just drink water bro. It's not that hard and if you give it a chance it actually tastes good.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Stupid, the artificial sugars are bad for your body because they are unnatural chemicals, and diet soda actually makes you more hungry causing you to probably eat more garbage.

Just drink water bro. It's not that hard and if you give it a chance it actually tastes good.
I don't eat more/less when I drink diet drinks. I just want to know if/why it is actually bad for the body.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't eat more/less when I drink diet drinks. I just want to know if/why it is actually bad for the body.
Going by what the show "Doctors" says, then he is correct.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Going by what the show "Doctors" says, then he is correct.
If the eating more thing is the only negative, then it doesn't effect me because I eat the same regardless. I just want to know a confirmed list of negatives. It's hard to know what to trust out there because some places say the artificial sweeteners are perfectly fine, but others say they give you cancer!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

ugh....i had typed out a sizeable post on artificial sweeteners and my phone screwed it up. the quick version is that most of the bad stuff you hear about diet drinks/sweeteners is complete bs, they are fine for what they are. they are most certainly not a replacement for water, but they arent bad for you either. the craving thing actually has some credence, but it mainly occurs when someone is on a vlc diet. basically, the sweetener stimulates a response in the body of some people (insulin i think) and it can cause craving. i have never experienced this though. if i have a sugar craving on vlc, i just eat more bacon.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

I can eat bacon and it be good for me?!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
ugh....i had typed out a sizeable post on artificial sweeteners and my phone screwed it up. the quick version is that most of the bad stuff you hear about diet drinks/sweeteners is complete bs, they are fine for what they are. they are most certainly not a replacement for water, but they arent bad for you either. the craving thing actually has some credence, but it mainly occurs when someone is on a vlc diet. basically, the sweetener stimulates a response in the body of some people (insulin i think) and it can cause craving. i have never experienced this though. if i have a sugar craving on vlc, i just eat more bacon.
I love you and your fitness knowledge Rob!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Is there a big difference in the types of whey protein? I always by the highest quality i can get but some people swear to me it isnt worth the price.
If you are talking about stuff like whey protein isolate (WPI), then some brands dominate the market (AllMax, Gaspari, Nature's Best).

Once you go to blends, it's a lot more even across the market. My only determining factor for blends are taste and macros.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I can eat bacon and it be good for me?!
****. my phone ****** up again. ugh. anyway, really short version is that i am a big propent of vlc eating when it comes to weight loss/even a healthy maintenance diet and fatty meats are a massive part of that diet as the fat acts as your body's energy source. you can eat bacon is relatively large amounts, but vlc isnt easy to adjust to.....the carbs how to be really low, 50g being the absolute max while i would suggest closer to 20.

Quote:
I love you and your fitness knowledge Rob!
thank you, sir
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like 100% juice, but apparently that is bad for you.

Pineapple and Cran-Grape both are amazing. Cran-Grape with seltzer or ginger ale even better.