Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:54 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't the Josh Morgan contract a 2 year, 7.5 million dollars guaranteed with options after that?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know what I'm really pumped for? The inevitable Harry Douglas resigning. Why get better?

We'll hear about how we had the players, now it's a new system. (Don't get me wrong, it was a major issues, but these players are so easily replaceable.) Then after we lose in the playoffs next year again it will be "now we know the system and are ready to win!". Ugh.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
When you play against Tom Brady, you need a sick dline. The Giants proved that.

Mario is going to be expensive, but that dline will be scary good with him. Even with Mario, if I'm the Bills, I still draft another DE. Screw it. Get after Brady with everything you got.
It'd make a lot of sense to draft Courtney Upshaw to pair with Mario Williams. That push rush would be ridiculous

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Isn't the Josh Morgan contract a 2 year, 7.5 million dollars guaranteed with options after that?
it's 5 years/12m with a void option for the skins after 2 years which allows bonus to be prorated over 5 years.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Who cares? Justin Smith still dominates the line of scrimmage and was arguably the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. It's not just about sacks. There are some players that are/were good at pass rushing, but are terrible at defending the run (Jevon Kearse). And yes it was in 2008. Four years ago. It wasn't eons ago. Smith is also capable of playing in a 4-3 as he did in Cincinnati.
I never said Smith doesn't dominate, and if he hit free agency at the of 27-28 right now, he would get paid more.

That was in 2008, look at the differences in players salaries since then.

And Jevon Kearse was actually very solid against the run in Tennesee, so I don't see any validity to your post. Please move along now.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Yes, looks like it's basically 2 years. Obviously they weren't going to get him for 5 years $12 total. This makes more sense.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
It'd make a lot of sense to draft Courtney Upshaw to pair with Mario Williams. That push rush would be ridiculous
I'm still scouting Upshaw but so far I'm not his biggest fan. Lacks the first step I want in a pass rusher.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm still scouting Upshaw but so far I'm not his biggest fan. Lacks the first step I want in a pass rusher.
I thought he could play 4-3 DE early in the process, but after scouting was relatively disappointed. I still think he could develop into one, but I wouldn't risk a 1st round pick on him trying to move him there
Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Redskins and Morgan agreed to terms on a two-year deal at more than $6 million per season, NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reports. In four seasons, Morgan had 131 receptions for 1,764 yards and nine touchdowns.
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency?module=HP11_hot_topics

Okay, now he's overpaid. (via NFL FA tracker)

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post

Bahahahahahaha.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

everything on the skins sites is saying 5yr/12m, 7.5 guaranteed with a 2 year void. That allows the 7.5 to be spread over 5 years.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have loved to see Red Bryant in a 3-4 scheme. He reminds me of a poor man's Justin Smith.

A poor hefty man's Justin Smith.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would have loved to see Red Bryant in a 3-4 scheme. He reminds me of a poor man's Justin Smith.

A poor hefty man's Justin Smith.
THIS! I didn't hear anyone talking about him during the pre-FA period but man, I was loving the idea of lining him up next to Wilfork. Beast mode!
Apparently, BB did pursue but that 5/35 price tag was just too much

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chiefs are crazy not putting a 1st round RFA tag on Palko.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
THIS! I didn't hear anyone talking about him during the pre-FA period but man, I was loving the idea of lining him up next to Wilfork. Beast mode!
Apparently, BB did pursue but that 5/35 price tag was just too much
I didn't even know he was a FA. East Coast bias, we don't pay attention to anything on the west coast unless it's boobied california women.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
I never said Smith doesn't dominate, and if he hit free agency at the of 27-28 right now, he would get paid more.

That was in 2008, look at the differences in players salaries since then.

And Jevon Kearse was actually very solid against the run in Tennesee, so I don't see any validity to your post. Please move along now.
You brought up double digit sacks as if that was truly the most important thing that mattered.

The average NFL salary I doubt has changed much in just four seasons. If you go back ten seasons it's night and day. But four seasons? In 2007 we signed Nate Clements for eight years, $80 million. That isn't a drastic night and day difference to what Darrelle Revis signed just two years ago in terms of what he averages annually. Sure it's a little more, but not more than double.

Kearse was God-awful in Tennessee against the run from day one as a rookie. You look at his playing weight at the time it wasn't surprising teams ran right at his ass. And it wasn't surprising they had success there too. Guys like Kevin Carter, John Thornton, and a young Albert Hanyesworth the reason Tennessee had success against the run in the early 2000's.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 03-13-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not free agent news, but Packers DE Mike Neal has been suspended 4 games for PEDs.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sorry if already reported, but the Bills are prepared to make Williams the highest paid defensive player in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You brought up double digit sacks as if that was truly the most important thing that mattered.

The average NFL salary I doubt has changed much in just four seasons. If you go back ten seasons it's night and day. But four seasons? In 2007 we signed Nate Clements for eight years, $80 million. That isn't a drastic night and day difference to what Darrelle Revis signed just two years ago in terms of what he averages annually. Sure it's a little more, but not more than double.

Kearse was God-awful in Tennessee against the run from day one as a rookie. You look at his playing weight at the time it wasn't surprising teams ran right at his ass. And it wasn't surprising they had success there too. Guys like Kevin Carter and a young Albert Hanyesworth the reason Tennessee had success against the run in the early 2000's.
Carter was a good player against the run and didn't even get traded to the Titans until Kearse's third year. And Haynesworth was an average, oft-injured player until he entered a contract year (in 2007, I think? Long after Kearse was gone).

Kearse was pretty underrated against the run for his entire career. That's basically the only thing he could do by the time he got to Philly (2004).
Steady Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Not free agent news, but Packers DE Mike Neal has been suspended 4 games for PEDs.
That would matter if he ever saw the field.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I find it puzzling why Alex Smith hasn't signed yet..
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Kearse was God-awful in Tennessee against the run from day one as a rookie. You look at his playing weight at the time it wasn't surprising teams ran right at his ass. And it wasn't surprising they had success there too. Guys like Kevin Carter, John Thornton, and a young Albert Hanyesworth the reason Tennessee had success against the run in the early 2000's.
I meant it as Smith isn't a pass rush threat that Mario is, and he wasn't, isn't and never will be.

The rest of your argument bores me
Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
no team in the nfl bats .1000 in the draft. you hit on half your picks your doing well. you can't rebuild 100% through the draft. the skins do have 12 picks between last year and this year and which will go a long way. a lot of last years guys are contributing or will but filling depth and building competition with deals like the one for morgan only helps. young players with upside who will replace old vets on the wrong side of their career like moss/gaffney...what a terrible idea...
I wouldn't say you can't rely on the draft. Name some top players on the Steelers that they didn't draft. Name some top guys the Packers didn't draft. The only key Patriots who weren't drafted by the team are Wes Welker, Brian Waters, Mark Anderson, Andre Carter, and Rob Ninkovich. These spending sprees almost never result in winning teams.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM    (permalink
papageorgio
Rookie

papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.papageorgio is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who cares? Justin Smith still dominates the line of scrimmage and was arguably the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. It's not just about sacks. There are some players that are/were good at pass rushing, but are terrible at defending the run (Jevon Kearse). And yes it was in 2008. Four years ago. It wasn't eons ago. Smith is also capable of playing in a 4-3 as he did in Cincinnati.
enjoy Alex Smith as your QB. Good luck winning anything with that bum
papageorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I wouldn't say you can't rely on the draft. Name some top players on the Steelers that they didn't draft. Name some top guys the Packers didn't draft. The only key Patriots who weren't drafted by the team are Wes Welker, Brian Waters, Mark Anderson, Andre Carter, and Rob Ninkovich. These spending sprees almost never result in winning teams.
i didnt say you cant rely on the draft. i actually said the skins have 12 picks among last year and this year with a lot of last years guys contributing. i just said that it is rare to bat .1000. You've named 2-3 teams out of 32 which just further proves my point. And the Pack and Pats have definitely struck out on some draft picks as well.