Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
I don't need to make excuses for Jay Cutler. Anyone else with a brain can do that for me with the added bonus of not looking like a total homer.

Edit: Didn't realize anyone mentioned anything about Cutler or his # of 40 yard completions either....
It's pretty ridiculous that a player can be absolutely BASHED for not airing it out when he has nearly as many 40+ passes as a gunslinger with an all-time great arm.

Alot of the opinion on Alex Smith is based upon media representation and not what has actually been shown on the field.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
It's pretty ridiculous that a player can be absolutely BASHED for not airing it out when he has nearly as many 40+ passes as a gunslinger with an all-time great arm.

Alot of the opinion on Alex Smith is based upon media representation and not what has actually been shown on the field.
I don't know what anyone else said, but I didn't say he's afraid to make throws downfield. The youtube videos have clearly show he's more than willing to flutter passes 40 yards down the field to receivers that have a step on their man. I said he's afraid to make mistakes and therefore doesn't make intermediate throws outside the hashmarks that are there for the taking. All of his reads are directly in front of his face.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know what anyone else said, but I didn't say he's afraid to make throws downfield. The youtube videos have clearly show he's more than willing to flutter passes 40 yards down the field to receivers that have a step on their man. I said he's afraid to make mistakes and therefore doesn't make intermediate throws outside the hashmarks that are there for the taking. All of his reads are directly in front of his face.
Most of his short to intermediate throws came outside the numbers. He doesn't throw the ball over the middle as much.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For being so afraid, he completed just under 60% of his passes 20+
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate Cutler, always have but are we really having a discussion about Smith being on the same level as Cutler? Because that would be asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith essentially had a Troy Aikman-type season stat wise. The offense needs to have him emerge more as a passing threat, and that might happen. We'll see.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Most of his short to intermediate throws came outside the numbers. He doesn't throw the ball over the middle as much.
I never see him throw it to guys that aren't wide open, is the overarching point. I never see him willing to stick a throw between a corner and safety. If that's not the case, I am watching the wrong games, but ****....I sure watch more Rams-49er games than I would like. (along with other games that people not being subjected to the Rams would watch)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I hate Cutler, always have but are we really having a discussion about Smith being on the same level as Cutler? Because that would be asinine.
I'd say Alex is better at not turning the ball over. Cutler has been a victim of some terrible offensive schemes. He would have been a lot better if he was in Denver under Shanahan's system instead of Mike Martz. Overall Cutler is still the better player.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I never see him throw it to guys that aren't wide open, is the overarching point. I never see him willing to stick a throw between a corner and safety. If that's not the case, I am watching the wrong games, but ****....I sure watch more Rams-49er games than I would like.
He doesn't take as many chances. You are right about that. Perhaps he doesn't trust his arm as much or he's just overthinking. Or maybe Harbaugh has instilled in him that it's okay to throw balls away or just take the safer option.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
He doesn't take as many chances. You are right about that. Perhaps he doesn't trust his arm as much or he's just overthinking. Or maybe Harbaugh has instilled in him that it's okay to throw balls away or just take the safer option.

It's been a problem since before Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh finds Alex a good fit, because his philosophy masks Smith's biggest deficiency.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
It's been a problem since before Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh finds Alex a good fit, because his philosophy masks Smith's biggest deficiency.
Smith biggest problem for me is over-thinking things - that's where the hesitancy and the check downs come from. He's an extremely intelligent guy, but he's almost too clinical, too methodical. One of the knocks against him coming out was that he'd have to fully understand the offence in order to thrive in it and, as has been covered ad nauseum, this is only the second time he'll be returning to the system that he played under the previous year.

Personally I'm treating Smith as a QB with much less experience than his career length suggests. His only full season prior to last year was 2006, which was also the only previous season in which he had a coaching staff capable of developing him. Many good QBs have taken time to develop. It's only recently for example that Eli Manning has been talked about as an elite QB and Bree's early struggles in San Diego are well documented - I'm not saying Smith will ever necessarily reach elite levels, but just pointing out that progression after early struggles does happen. He does have the physical tools to be a good starter, but he needs to show progression this year. If he can build on last year's success then I'll be very happy.

As for why Harbaugh thinks Alex is a good fit? Harbs likes character and people who aren't afraid to put in the grind. I think he sees a lot of himself in Smith, a gritty player who's always working, even if his skills aren't elite. Smith's often wrongly portrayed as not being brave, probably thanks to Nolan questioning his toughness when he couldn't play through a separated shoulder. Quite to the contrary, Smith's hard as nails.

I think Harbs was genuinely surprised by Smith last year. The FO knew that Kaepernick couldn't start right away and the shortened off-season kept Smith in the fold when most of us thought he'd be glad to leave. He accepted a one year 'prove it' deal and rose to the challenge of leading the offence with aplomb. He won the respect of the locker room and took the team deep into the playoffs. I don't think Harbaugh expected that, and I think he respects him a lot because of it.

One final point: I think some people are saying Harbaugh's wrong to back himself as someone that can finally develop Smith into a good QB whilst also saying Smith's progression is only due to Harbaugh's coaching. You can't have it both ways folks.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
No, it wasn't really a problem before Harbaugh. Not to this degree. It certainly wasn't a problem with Norv Turner where Smith took a lot more chances down the filed. That being said, it's also been hard to gauge him consistently, because since his days with Turner he's been with bad offensive coordinator after bad offensive coordinator.

Quote: