Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yeah it's a good signing for the money. I still don't like him, and I don't trust him in a big spot in the 4th quarter to run the right route/catch the ball/pick up his assignment in the run game or pass pro, but for the money it's worth the gamble I guess.

And this means we don't go TE in round 1, which is great news bc that would be a major reach.

And bc it's just 1 year, it allows us to draft a legit TE next year if we can't extend him if he does in fact pan out.

I still would have prefered Shincao but whatever.
That's why I don't mind it, if he puts in the work and breaks out, he may well earn that trust, and if he doesn't at least we should be getting Ballard back before the playoffs.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Bennett is is just going to be insanely frustrating for you guys, I can tell you right now. Witten didn't really have anything to do with it. He just has so many mental lapses and is so immature, that is the reason why he hasn't developed properly. There is no denying that he can truly breakout, he's got that freakish TE ability that not many share at the position, excellent blocker(you'll love that about him immediately), and he's got the type of athleticism to where he's an instant mis-match when he runs routes.

He's just the type who'll get the false start in the game when it was the worst time to have it, catch his first 3 passes with guys draped all over him then drop a wide open TE screen that left 30 yards on the field to kill a drive, and all-around just goofs off.

That said, while he's still young, he was drafted at a really young age and while we would like them to all have it, not everyone "gets it" right away. I mean he had 4 TD's as a rookie, which I think were all in a row, so there is no denying you've upgraded the position, but he's going to need Eli or 1 of the vets to stay on him. He's the only thing stopping him from being so much better then he's showed.

For the price though, worth the risk no doubt. Seeing as how he can play us twice I wouldn't doubt that he doesn't pull it together. He's just going to very quickly, more then likely be most of your most frustrating player on the team now because you'll see all the flashes of the talent and potential he has in training camp but he'll likely lack that consistency to make anything out of it.

I'm still a fan so I hope he gets his priorities together.
If the giants sign Boss or Shiancoe to compete with him while Ballard and Beckum are out I think the giants have a pretty shot of squeezing that attitude out of him. He'll know that if he doesn't keep his focus, he's not coming back and down the stretch will be faded out of the offense. He'll be competing for passes with insanely hard working Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz and will have Pope and Eli riding his ass. I don't expect him to work out at all, but if it does I wouldn't be surprised if it came with an attitude change that would negate those issues to a significant degree.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Bennett is is just going to be insanely frustrating for you guys, I can tell you right now. Witten didn't really have anything to do with it. He just has so many mental lapses and is so immature, that is the reason why he hasn't developed properly. There is no denying that he can truly breakout, he's got that freakish TE ability that not many share at the position, excellent blocker(you'll love that about him immediately), and he's got the type of athleticism to where he's an instant mis-match when he runs routes.

He's just the type who'll get the false start in the game when it was the worst time to have it, catch his first 3 passes with guys draped all over him then drop a wide open TE screen that left 30 yards on the field to kill a drive, and all-around just goofs off.

That said, while he's still young, he was drafted at a really young age and while we would like them to all have it, not everyone "gets it" right away. I mean he had 4 TD's as a rookie, which I think were all in a row, so there is no denying you've upgraded the position, but he's going to need Eli or 1 of the vets to stay on him. He's the only thing stopping him from being so much better then he's showed.

For the price though, worth the risk no doubt. Seeing as how he can play us twice I wouldn't doubt that he doesn't pull it together. He's just going to very quickly, more then likely be most of your most frustrating player on the team now because you'll see all the flashes of the talent and potential he has in training camp but he'll likely lack that consistency to make anything out of it.

I'm still a fan so I hope he gets his priorities together.
I'm not a fan of the signing, I don't like his attitude and hope he doesn't leave an impression in the locker room. But for 1 year, I guess it's ok if it means we don't draft a TE in the first round. I'd just leave him in to block every play. He can't screw up if he just does that...right? :/
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the signing, I don't like his attitude and hope he doesn't leave an impression in the locker room. But for 1 year, I guess it's ok if it means we don't draft a TE in the first round. I'd just leave him in to block every play. He can't screw up if he just does that...right? :/
With the Cowboys cursed luck and the Giants knack to pull **** out of their ass, Martellus Bennett is going to turn into Jimmy Graham. Just watch. Especially when they play the Cowboys. He'll probably go for 150 yards and 3 td's, including the game winner as time expires.

You heard it here first.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
With the Cowboys cursed luck and the Giants knack to pull **** out of their ass, Martellus Bennett is going to turn into Jimmy Graham. Just watch. Especially when they play the Cowboys. He'll probably go for 150 yards and 3 td's, including the game winner as time expires.

You heard it here first.
I don't trust him in our option route offense. He couldn't run the right routes in a Zampese system, what makes us think he's going to read a defense and run the right route in a choice route?

It makes me nervous. Hopefully he just holds the fort for Ballard until he can come off the PUP.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't trust him in our option route offense. He couldn't run the right routes in a Zampese system, what makes us think he's going to read a defense and run the right route in a choice route?

It makes me nervous. Hopefully he just holds the fort for Ballard until he can come off the PUP.
Ballard blew out his knee in February. Don't hold your breath.

As for Bennett, I just think it's one of those classic cases where a dude with great talent gets a fresh start and flourishes. He's 6'7'' 275 runs a 4.6, has good hands, can jump, and we all know about his blocking. Eli will find a way to get the best out of him, and of course his best games will be against the Cowboys.

It's just the way it works my friend. He's gonna go Jimmy Smith on the Cowboys.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Ballard blew out his knee in February. Don't hold your breath.

As for Bennett, I just think it's one of those classic cases where a dude with great talent gets a fresh start and flourishes. He's 6'7'' 275 runs a 4.6, has good hands, can jump, and we all know about his blocking. Eli will find a way to get the best out of him, and of course his best games will be against the Cowboys.

It's just the way it works my friend. He's gonna go Jimmy Smith on the Cowboys.
If that does in fact happen, where he thrives in NY, then you have to seriously question your coaching staff's ability to develop players. Bc this would be the 2nd time we took an underachiever in Dallas and made him into a player (Canty being the first).
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If that does in fact happen, where he thrives in NY, then you have to seriously question your coaching staff's ability to develop players. Bc this would be the 2nd time we took an underachiever in Dallas and made him into a player (Canty being the first).
Ehhh that can be argued. There are two distinct variables in each case.

For Canty, he actually was a pretty solid player in Dallas, you guys just paid him way more than we could afford and he is probably better playing in a 4-3 with you guys. He is also playing alongside better players with you guys. All we had on thew front when we was here was Ware. Ratliff wasn't Ratliff yet, and we had all JAG's besides that.

For Bennett, I don't care what anybody says, he was playing behind a future hall of famer who is still in his prime. Our offense is not a two tight end offense. We aren't the Patriots. We come out in a two tight end set sometimes, but it isn't often and we usually run the ball, and if we throw it Bennett is definitely the 3rd or 4th read.

Plus, I think our coaching staff right now is probably the best it has been in a while. Canty wasn't under this regime and Bennett has only been for the last year and a half of his career.

It's a two sided coin. Marty B has all the tools, and he probably knows this is his last chance to prove himself and get a big deal. He might be able to stick around the league for a while because he is only 25, but this is his shot. He is going to get good playing time with Eli Manning throwing him the ball, and a good receiving corps to take coverage off him.

The Cowboys curse will be in full force. He'll be jumping over safeties for TD's like it's nobody's business. Just wait.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...s_martell.html

good article
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett
It was kind of like love at first sight. Once we started talking I almost asked him(Pope) to marry me,” said Bennett, who sat next to Pope as he signed his contract. “He’s lived 70 years of life. Anyone who’s been around that long, there’s a lot of knowledge there. There’s a lot of wisdom.”

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm skeptical. He has to prove it to me. At least I know our run game will improve with him sealing the edge. TE seals are so critical to our running concepts.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lolz shockey wants to come back and we're all like "ehhhhh"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems we are interested in another former Cowboy

One day after former Dallas TE Martellus Bennett signed with New York, Cowboys WR Kevin Ogleetree is visiting the Giants today.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think we pretty much got all the FAs we need already. Just lock up our own guys and leave it at that. Unless theres a chance to land Eric Winston, we should stay away from everyone else.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll be bringing in more of the B and C types as FA moves along. We're not only going to bring Bennett in.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You may be right. However, I will take Coughlin over Tubby and JG to motivate him. I will also take ANY day Coach Pope over Garrett at that TE position too. So I am comfortable with this gamble. If it fails, then no harm, it's a 1 year deal. But i like our TE coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken s...
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Shockey and Toomer going at it on twitter.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Giants may have signed BBD's old buddy Chris Horton
Old 03-15-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Great signing! I loved Horton. I think this was a great underrated addition. He's a great in the box safety. At least he used to be. Let's see what he has left in the tank.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Great signing! I loved Horton. I think this was a great underrated addition. He's a great in the box safety. At least he used to be. Let's see what he has left in the tank.
Here is some recent footage of him

Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love this signing as well. Gives Sash another year on specials on learn and now Horton most likely can play in the Grant role. I love Reese.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-15-2012, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the roster. He was out of football last year.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the roster. He was out of football last year.
I wouldn't be either but it's one of those signings that can really work out well for us. He fits a great role in Fewell's defense here where on other teams he wouldn't be able to play to his strengths like this.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Bostonblows91
Rookie

Bostonblows91 is a cocksman.Bostonblows91 is a cocksman.Bostonblows91 is a cocksman.

Is anyone else really frustrated that they haven't brought back devin thomas or chase blackburn yet? Neither of them will probably earn more than the minimum...it bothers me
Bostonblows91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonblows91 View Post
Is anyone else really frustrated that they haven't brought back devin thomas or chase blackburn yet? Neither of them will probably earn more than the minimum...it bothers me
I like them both but I'm not frustrated by it. Chase was a FA until that GB game for a reason.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm frustrated by it. I love Chase. Great special team player, great backup LB, great lockerroom guy. For the league minimum, I don't see why we wouldn't bring him back. It's a no brainer to me.