Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFairlane View Post
Except those stupid rules which always get in the way. Well, unless you are the Patriots.

No, the Saints were performing legal hits. They were breaking the rules having players get paid for them.

"I'm not pissed. It's football, I don't think anything less of those guys. Said or unsaid, guys do it anyway. If they can drill you and get you out, they will.''

Brett Favre
Name the in game mechanism that the league could use to stop the Patriots from filming and tell me why the Saints players were fined 15k for hits. That doesn't sound legal to me.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
Getting paid to injure players legally. Immoral? Yes. Illegal? No. Ray Lewis tries to knock everyone out of every game. He wants to hurt you. It's ok because he does it for his base salary?
It's the part where there was an organized pay system. Lots of teams have player-only pools for big hits, and there's probably not much to do about those. But having coaches and front office people in on it is way different.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's say Brees comes back and the Saints have a good year under acting head coach Carmichael...maybe they win 12 games. Are Payton's days numbered?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Let's say Brees comes back and the Saints have a good year under acting head coach Carmichael...maybe they win 12 games. Are Payton's days numbered?
I dunno how the ownership feels, but I wouldn't be surprised. Carmichael and Brees know the offense in and out... Payton wasn't going to run the defense anyway.

We might miss him from a draft and personnel standpoint... he has a lot of say, and for good reason.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, usually the NFL telling teams to NOT film team practices and walk throughs and the fact the other 31 teams seemed to be able to follow this rule says CHEATING to everyone except the people in Massachusetts.
FordFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lmao. I don't know how it compares. Filming other teams is ALSO done by every team in the NFL, to me, that was very minor, and they got shafted..
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, usually the NFL telling teams to NOT film team practices and walk throughs and the fact the other 31 teams seemed to be able to follow this rule says CHEATING to everyone except the people in Massachusetts.
Easy mistake to make by any team. As Belichick said it was a simple misinterpretation of the rules. Really the Patriots shouldn't have even been punished. Goodell should have taken Belichick for his word and moved on like a man.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the draft picks penalty should have been steeper. Next years first makes more sense than next years second. They may be punished this season, but they'll receive a better 2013 first round pick because of it.

But that's just nitpicking based on the idea of punishment. It probably won't benefit them that much.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
It's the part where there was an organized pay system. Lots of teams have player-only pools for big hits, and there's probably not much to do about those. But having coaches and front office people in on it is way different.
Several years ago Charles Woodson and Al Harris were accused of offering cash incentives to the Packers defensive linemen if they held Adrian Peterson to less than 100 yards. The NFL said "Hey, you guys, stop that!" So they stopped. McCarthy was asked about it and said that the team and the league and had handled the matter.

So, as you pointed out, what Woodson and Harris were doing was a players-only pool. It didn't involve coaches and outside parties. Also, ignoring the "stop that" directive and doing it for another two years was pretty stupid on the Saints part.

Last edited by WCH : 03-21-2012 at 03:52 PM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Several years ago Charles Woodson and Al Harris were accused of offering cash incentives to the Packers defensive linemen if they held Adrian Peterson to less than 100 yards. The NFL said "Hey, you guys, stop that!" So they stopped. McCarthy was asked about it and said that the team and the league and had handled the matter.

So, as you pointed out, what Woodson and Harris were doing was a players-only pool. It didn't involve coaches and outside parties. Also, ignoring the "stop that" directive and doing it for another two years was pretty stupid on the Saints part.
Yeah, that seems to be the big point that many are missing.

It wasn't so much that the Saints did it, it was that they were asked about it, denied it, were told to cease-and-desist, and refused.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This news makes me smile

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's an article from WWL outlying everything the NFL butt rammed the Saints for

http://www.wwltv.com/home/NFL-statem...143664986.html

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And intentionally trying to hurt people is not okay to everyone except to the people in Lousiana apparently.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the article:

Quote:
The Saints and the individuals disciplined today are expected to participate in efforts led by the league office to develop programs that will instruct players and coaches at all levels of the game on the need for respect for the game and those who participate in it, on principles of fair play, safety and sportsmanship, and to ensure that bounties will not be part of football at any level.
Shawn Payton: "Don't set bounties or allow bounties to be set, and certainly don't lie about it if you're caught. We did it with the Saints, and I lost $8 Million"

Yeah, I don't know about ensuring that bounties aren't taking place at any level, but I think the NFL is pretty well taken care of. Anybody who didn't get the message, isn't going to get the message.

Last edited by WCH : 03-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I couldn't have woken up to better news. I love Roger Goodell today.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy ****. Payton is going to feel that 7 million dollar hit. He's not broke by any means, but try unexpectedly losing 7 million dollars at the last minute, just think about that for a minute. Regardless of what's in your bank account that hurts.

I too don't get why the Loomis suspension doesn't go into effect now. What exactly would be his role the first 8 weeks of the season anyway if he even was around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
And intentionally trying to hurt people is not okay to everyone except to the people in Lousiana apparently.
It's ok just not ok to have a reward system. Nothing they did was illegal. People need to realize that.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Holy ****. Payton is going to feel that 7 million dollar hit. He's not broke by any means, but try unexpectedly losing 7 million dollars at the last minute, just think about that for a minute. Regardless of what's in your bank account that hurts.

I too don't get why the Loomis suspension doesn't go into effect now. What exactly would be his role the first 8 weeks of the season anyway if he even was around?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's ok just not ok to have a reward system. Nothing they did was illegal. People need to realize that.
Isnt it against the rules?

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Waiver wire, PUP, IR, Practice squad, cap management, trades/deadline - no big deal unless Loomis' replacement does something wrong.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Managing the scouting departments (both college scouting, and pro scouting), signing players to replace injured players, overseeing negotiations with soon-to-be Free Agents, overseeing injury settlements for players who are pretty much done, dealing with the media when the situation calls for it, releasing players for being idiots, claiming promising players that other teams cut because they need the roster spot, deciding which promising player to cut because you need the roster spot, deciding whether or not to make a move before the trade deadline...

The Draft is the sexy part of the job (at least, to us draftniks), but it's a pretty big blow to lose your GM for half a season. This will be a good audition for whoever fills in for him.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If what they did wasn't illegal, I don't think the league would have just suspended a coach for a full year and basically kicked another guy out of the league.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Isnt it against the rules?
Was the hit on Pierre Thomas in the playoffs against San Fran illegal? He gave him a concussion and knocked him out. Clean hit, but it becomes illegal what he gets paid a bonus for it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was the hit on Pierre Thomas in the playoffs against San Fran illegal? He gave him a concussion and knocked him out. Clean hit, but it becomes illegal what he gets paid a bonus for it.
The Saints knew what they were doing was not allowed, they lied about it and did it for 3 more years. I don't know how anyone can complain.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
The Saints knew what they were doing was not allowed, they lied about it and did it for 3 more years. I don't know how anyone can complain.
They shouldn't have lied and should have stopped. No one is denying that. I'm saying it's a stupid rule to make a clean hit illegal just because you get paid for it.