Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good luck to BJE. He's a good guy. Kinda hoping we make a play for Bush now.

No on Schobel. We'll have to hope Carter can recover from his injury and get lucky (haha) in the draft.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Three years for BJGE. Personally my strategy would be to sign an undrafted free agent or low-level FA in order to replace Green-Ellis on short-yardage/goal line situations, with pass protection skills a plus. Maybe Sammy Morris?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope BJGE does well for Cincy. I think it's safe to say he's clearly an upgrade over Benson, that's for sure.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BJGE :(

I will always be a fan and I wish him nothing but the best. Been a fan of him since his Ole Miss days and was so pumped when we signed him as a UDFA, watching him grow from a guy that nobody expected much out of into a 1,000 yard rusher and incredibly consistent NFL RB was a joy. I'm gonna miss him and I think the team will too.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Maybe Sammy Morris?
No thanks. Let's not bring in retirees to play.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going to try and rank our needs after FA. Let me know what you guys think.

1. DE/OLB: I have maybe been the biggest supporter of us drafting a pass rusher for the last three or four years, and the need is still there especially after losing Mark Anderson. People can say that he is only a situational guy, but he was just what we needed last year. Losing him could hurt if we don't replace him. Anderson and Andre Carter were probably the two best pass rushers we have had in the last five years (Carter before he was hurt and Anderson late in the year), but Carter is old and coming off a big injury and Anderson is gone. Like safety, there is not a lot of talent at the top at this position but there are a decent amount of guys who could have their names called anywhere from around pick 20 until the mid second. Unless we trade up we probably don't have a shot at Upshaw, but a guy I do like is Vinny Curry. He was extrememly productive and has the size and athleticism that Belichick covets from his pass rushers. Chandler Jones is an intriguing player but there are a lot of question marks about his size and I think is more of a mid-late second rounder than a round one option. Andre Branch is intriguing with his tools and demeanor, he plays with some nastiness and we look to be trying to move in that direction on defense recently with guys like Spikes and Chung. Mercilus is another guy I could see us looking at. I'm assuming Melvin Ingram will be long gone against we move up, but there are some guys we could target late round one.

2. FS: I know we added Steve Gregory and we don't really have a specific "free" or "strong" safety, but I think we can all agree that we need someone who can make plays in coverage. Chung is one of my favorite players on the team but he would be even better if we didn't have him playing center field as much. This is a weak safety crop so I doubt we will take one in the first round but there are a few guys who I like. I have always been a huge Mark Barron fan, some people are cold on him but I think he will be a pro bowl caliber player in the NFL. He has the physical tools you look for, is instinctive, is well rounded, and just makes plays. He is a Saban player too so that helps, but something tells me we wait on a safety.

3. DE/DT: With all the different fronts we run it is hard to say end, tackle, five tech, 3 tech, but what we all can agree on is we want someone to fill Seymour's void. Now I don't expect someone to step in and play like Seymour because he was a rare blend of talent and fit for us, but we need that kind of size and athleticism in the trenches. Seymour demanded double teams constantly and was a force against the run but still wreaked havoc in the passing game with not only his pass rush but ability to bat passes down. Wilfork is the anchor of the DL and is a premier player in the NFL, and we have some nice pieces in Kyle Love and Deaderick. Ron Brace finally showed some flashes before getting hurt, but he is probably at that second round bust level now. Shaun Ellis did close to nothing, and there isn't much else. Unlike safety and DE/OLB, there is a lot of talent to look at along the DL this year. Mike Brockers' stock has been on a roller coaster of late, but he has a ton of talent and is a guy who could make a huge impact on various spots on the DL. He is raw but I see Brockers as a guy who with the right coaching could be a force. Fletcher Cox is one of my favorite players in this class, but there are some questions about scheme fit and he will probably be gone. I have a gut feeling that we end up with Kendall Reyes in the first. He looks like a solid 5-tech prospect and he just strikes me as a Belichick pick. Devon Still has all pro ability but he is inconsistent and I don't see us taking him, but I wouldn't be against it. I like Billy Winn from Boise and I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him. He is a NT, but I like Josh Chapman from Alabama. He was the anchor of their defense and should be available in the third. I think it is ROP who is high on him too.

4. CB: I have a tough time projecting how big our need at corner is. First question is what McCourty will show up next year. If he can play like he did as a rookie or even somewhere in between last year and his rookie year, then that will make at least one legit NFL cover guy on the team. Kyle Arrington is a guy who I like. He is not a number one corner, but he makes plays and is very willing in the run game. If we could get some more consistency out of him it would be nice, but he just puts himself in the right place at the right time quite a bit. The wild card is Dowling. If he can come in and play like the team evidently expects he can, then corner isn't a huge need. But nobody knows what to expect from him. Also, is there a possibility that one of these guys is playing safety next year? It is so hard to project our needs at corner and safety because there are so many factors that we simply do not know about.

5. WR: The Brandon Lloyd signing was a good one. I have never been a huge fan of his, but you cannot deny his production with McD and I think he will be perfect for Brady. Retaining Welker was big but he is going to want to a contract, hopefully we can avoid a holdout. Anthony Gonzalez was brought in as well, he and Edleman could battle it out for touches. I didn't really understand the move but he has ability. The tight ends obviously factor in here, which makes receiver not as big of a need as it would be on any other team. We don't have ANY size at WR, but with Gronk and Hernandez we should be fine. We needed a deep threat and Lloyd figures to fill that void, and if Stallworth has anything left he could too. I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a gamebreaker like Kendall Wright if he is available, a lot of me wants to see us draft a wideout with size but we simply just don't carry big wide receivers on or roster. What big receivers have we had? JJ Stokes for a season? Moss doesn't really count, I couldn't name three relevant receivers we've had with legit size in the BB era.

6. OL: It is inevitable we are going to take OL for depth, the question is what position(s) and how early. Mankins could miss some time which is a huge blow, but hopefully he will be back early. Gallery was signed to presumably fill in for a while and I like the move for depth. I don't know what the situation wiht Light is but I don't think he will be protecting Brady's blind side next season. Then again, we have all been saying that for the last three off seasons and Light is also coming off a very solid campaign. Solder's development is crucial along with Vollmer's status. If Solder is ready to go full time he could start at LT, but with Vollmer being sort of an unknown we very well could roll with Light on the left and Solder on the right. Connolly was singed so he will be at center or RG depending on Waters. I think it is safe to say we will not draft a tackle in the first two rounds, but with us who knows. I could see us taking a guard or center early. There are so many interior OL in this class that I love. DeCastro and Zeitler are two of my favorite prospects in this class regardless of position. Waters was solid last year but if he doesn't come back I wouldn't mind seeing Zeitler at RG or Konz at center. Something tells me that Belichick absolutely loves Zeitler, I think he could be the pick at 31. Ben Jones from Georgia strikes me as a Belichick player too. Oh yeah, Marcus ******* Cannon. I was thinking about him from the beginning of this post on. If we do lose Light, I could see him being the RT with Solder on the left. Conventional wisdom would say Cannon will be a guard, but I think we like him at tackle. There is a bit of a logjam at tackle but at least one of Light/Vollmer could be gone by August. If not, Cannon could get a look at RG but we should at least see him in jumbo sets.

7. RB: Almost forgot this one. I did not want us to let go of Green-Ellis for serious emotional issues, but it is also more than that. Evidently we hold Vereen in Ridley in high regard, but honestly they really aven't done ****. I just have a feeling this move will bite us in the ass. I love Woodhead too, but it felt like we cut his touches in half last year. Without Green-Ellis I think running back is a big need. He wasn't flashy but he was what we needed, a dependable clock eating power back. We needed a guy like him since Corey Dillon left and now he is gone. I'm not saying he was Dillon but more like Antoine Smith. We won a SB with both of those guys, and we were a hair away from winning one with BenJarvus. We don't need Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson to win a Super Bowl right now, we just need a solid and dependable running game. BJGE was the eptiome of solid and dependable. We better find someone in FA or something because we don't have anything proven right now outside of Danny, and I love Danny but we all know he isn't a guy who can completely carry the load. I have faith in Vereen in Ridley, but lets be honest Belichick doesn't have the best track record of backs in the draft and we haven't seen anything significant out of either of them. The talent is definitely there and I think they could provide something as receivers too, I am just a little concerned about the tough yards and ball security.

Last edited by Don Vito : 03-21-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
1. DE/OLB: I have maybe been the biggest supporter of us drafting a pass rusher for the last three or four years, and the need is still there especially after losing Mark Anderson. People can say that he is only a situational guy, but he was just what we needed last year. Losing him could hurt if we don't replace him. Anderson and Andre Carter were probably the two best pass rushers we have had in the last five years (Carter before he was hurt and Anderson late in the year), but Carter is old and coming off a big injury and Anderson is gone. Like safety, there is not a lot of talent at the top at this position but there are a decent amount of guys who could have their names called anywhere from around pick 20 until the mid second. Unless we trade up we probably don't have a shot at Upshaw, but a guy I do like is Vinny Curry. He was extrememly productive and has the size and athleticism that Belichick covets from his pass rushers. Chandler Jones is an intriguing player but there are a lot of question marks about his size and I think is more of a mid-late second rounder than a round one option. Andre Branch is intriguing with his tools and demeanor, he plays with some nastiness and we look to be trying to move in that direction on defense recently with guys like Spikes and Chung. Mercilus is another guy I could see us looking at. I'm assuming Melvin Ingram will be long gone against we move up, but there are some guys we could target late round one.
Nice write up...here is what I see with the pass rushers.

1. Melvin Ingram - Top 10 - Only in a trade up, similar player to Adalius Thomas, build and athletic wise but unlike Thomase Ingram is very instinctive

2. Whitney Mercilus - Top 15 - I think he will go much higher than people think, he is a pure playmaker at the edge with a smart and professional head on his shoulders, and long arms

3. Courtney Upshaw - Top 25 - he can go high or he can drop, not overly athletic or explosive but is a football player who knows how to play...is he at his ceiling though?

4. Nick Perry - 15-32 - pass rushers always go higher than expected and might not make it out of the top 20. Perry is on of the most explosive pass rushers in the draft, might be more suited with his hand down.

5. Andre Branch - 20-32 - I like Branch, Im scared of Clemson, long arms, great bend, played in the back pedal sometimes

6. Chandler Jones - 15-Early second - He is the wild card...he reminds me on a clone copy of Tuck coming out of college, similar measurable as Aldon Smith...high cut, extremely long arms who looked good at pro day and can but on another 20 pounds without losing speed. He is climbing

7. Vinny Curry - Second round - Another guy who scares me, you can't question his motor. but to many times he wore down and slowed downwhen he put on weight, lacks elite explosivness as well.

8. Shea McClellin - Second Round - former DE who held his own in coverage at the senior bowl playing the strongside in a 4-3 proving he can play 3 positions and 4 downs. only 19 reps...Reminds me of Chris Gocong

9. Cam Johnson - Second-Third Round - Played 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE, good size but only 16 reps, can be good value...better junior year than Senior playing the OLB.

10. Jonathan Massaquoi - Second-Third Round - Part time pass rush player only as of know, very long arms and athletic but raw and struggles against the run.

11. Bruce Irvin - Day 3 - passing down only, has WR type legs, can't play the run. was arressted recentley

12. Jake Bequette - Day 3 - good value, played OLB in the senior bowl and didn't look horrible at 275 pounds, a BB type of lunch pale player, great triangle numbers and edge setter....think Matt Roth

13. Kyle Wilbur - Day 3 - good size DE out of Wake Forest who has more than 1 pass rush move, needs to get stronger against the run.

14. Brandon Lindsey - Day 3 - One trick pny with cat like first step, but thats it. no latteral movements, no pass rush technique

15. Donta Paige-Moss - Day 3 - Has top 15 talent, was benched, tore ACL, threw teammates and staff under the bus, read his twitter(English language is lacking)
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think we will end up with one of either Cam Johnson or Bequette. Bequette is really flying under the radar, he has a great deal of ability and was a productive player in the SEC. Should be a mid round guy and would not mind us taking a look at him.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2. FS: I know we added Steve Gregory and we don't really have a specific "free" or "strong" safety, but I think we can all agree that we need someone who can make plays in coverage. Chung is one of my favorite players on the team but he would be even better if we didn't have him playing center field as much. This is a weak safety crop so I doubt we will take one in the first round but there are a few guys who I like. I have always been a huge Mark Barron fan, some people are cold on him but I think he will be a pro bowl caliber player in the NFL. He has the physical tools you look for, is instinctive, is well rounded, and just makes plays. He is a Saban player too so that helps, but something tells me we wait on a safety.
Safety is tough, you saw in FA how much teams are now placing value on the position with all the franchise tage. I like gregory too and think he can be a great 3rd safety as well as a servicable starting LEFT safety (I will not term the phrase free or strong). Safety now as almost become the 3rd corner in a base defense and I wouldn't be suprised to see some more corner converts out of this draft with the lack of coverage safeties and the ability to cover the slot...

Let's look at some of the possible corner converts....

Alfonzo Denard - Second Round - I think he would be an awesome safety with his tackling and toughness at the line of scrimmage, its his recovery speed that he lacks.

Trumaine Johnson - Second Round - He will probably stay at corner, but has the size and ball skills to be pro bowler at deep safety

Casey Hayward - Second-Third Round - has greta Triangle numbers but lacks top end speed. Would look great in cover two or playing safety...Top 10 in the draft when is comes to instincts

Chase Minifield - Third Round - Stock is falling with injuries and lackluster offseason, solid tackler and could be asked to make the switch.

Omar Bolden - Day 3 - Recovering from ACL, is a sleeper at CB but can find a home a sfety with solid size and strength.

Josh Norman - Day 3 - Has the skills of a second round pick and showed at Sr bowl, though speed lacks and is a bit of a diva

DeQuan Menzie - Day 3 - Could easily see him as a patritot, tough and scrappy, can play outside, inside, safety, ST's...Saban favorite..Mayock thinks he is a top 5 safety prospect, bad speed but very quick.

Robert Blanton - Day 3 - Another corner who is not quick enough and bad hips who could be a better safety than corner, physical player.

With safeties there are not much better options who can come down and cover.

1. Mark Barron - Top 20 - People are down on him because he wasn't the playmaker but played hurt and tough, he can cover and is smart. He won't last to us because of the weak class.

2. Harrison Smith - Early Second - Can play left or right side, makes plays on the ball, solid tackler, reminds me of Chung coming out, might be a 3rd round pick if class was stronger.

3. Antonio Allen - Second - Was used a both safety spots, played the slot and the rover, much better athlete than timed.

4. Brandon Taylor - Second - hard hitter, fast straight line, good work ethic, his triangle numbers concern me but played big throughout the year.

5. DJ Campbell - Second/Third - Unkown player, I love this guy, hurt all year which is a red flag but at 6', 200, 22 reps, 4.51 with a 38 vert. Made noise when on the field.

6. Charles Mitchell - Third - Another unkown player who was all over the field and showed great feet, quickness and strength

7. George Iloka - Third - Limited because of size, was exposed at combine, but has very good film...Would make a great rover, nickel LB.

8. Markelle Martin - Third/Fourth - Has seen his stock slip with injuries, struggles in coverage but is a leader on the field and a good centerfielder.

9. Janzen Jackson - Fourth - Second round talent, kicked out of Tennessee, very smooth coverage, great range in the field.

10. Phillip Thomas - Fourth/Fifth - Ditto above

11. Trenton Robinson - Fifth - short, compact, barrel chested missle, could be looked at corner, reminds me on Antoine Bethea

12. Justin Bethel - Fifth/Sixth - Small school with good size and speed, hard working kid, can be looed at corner

13. Tramain Thomas - Sixth - Playmaking centerfield and general on the field is limited athleticly

14. Brandon Hardin - Sixth - Another huge sleeper, hurt all year, was the main man on defense, was looking to be all-american 6'3, 216 pounds with 24 reps, 4.38-40, played corner, and both sides of the safety position
Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
I think we will end up with one of either Cam Johnson or Bequette. Bequette is really flying under the radar, he has a great deal of ability and was a productive player in the SEC. Should be a mid round guy and would not mind us taking a look at him.
I think both of them do fit the Pats mold, but they both lack that explosiveness we are missing on the edge. You can only get that with the top 4/5 rushers and they go fast, wouldn't be suprised if the Pats traded up 5-10 spots to secure an explosive edge rusher.

Bequette is a guy I would love to get in orund 4 or 5, could be a very solid edge setter with 3-5 sacks per year like Jarrett Johnson
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tommy restructures his deal, saves 7.2 against the cap

Come on Mike Wallace!!!
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
Good luck to BJE. He's a good guy. Kinda hoping we make a play for Bush now.

No on Schobel. We'll have to hope Carter can recover from his injury and get lucky (haha) in the draft.
Bush signed with the Bears
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah just saw that ... wonder if we can get Matt Forte cheap
(Kidding of course). Looks like we'll need to pickup another RB somewhere. If I didn't personally dislike LT I'd say give him a go, but decent backs can be had in later draft rounds and/or UFDA - it's the pass protection (or lack thereof) that concerns me.

As for Wallace, I read he wants a bigger deal than Larry Fitzgerald. Not going to happen (here, or elsewhere for that matter.)
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno626 View Post
Not gonna happen. Wallace wants 8 years $120+ mil. We're not going to give up that much for a one trick pony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno626 View Post
Maybe a certain rfa cb.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Webb's stats from 2011 are insane (incl. postseason):

56/102 (54.9%), 656 yards, 0 TD, 8 INT, 12 PD, 42.0 rating

He is definitely worth the first-round pick if he performs like that. However, my recommendation would be to add some depth in the mid-rounds or via free agency (as they have done with Cole/Allen) and give the McCourty/Dowling combination another season.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
Yeah just saw that ... wonder if we can get Matt Forte cheap
(Kidding of course). Looks like we'll need to pickup another RB somewhere. If I didn't personally dislike LT I'd say give him a go, but decent backs can be had in later draft rounds and/or UFDA - it's the pass protection (or lack thereof) that concerns me.

As for Wallace, I read he wants a bigger deal than Larry Fitzgerald. Not going to happen (here, or elsewhere for that matter.)
I don't think they have any need to draft/sign a RB with any urgency. Vereen/Ridley/Woodhead is a really nice, balanced trio. Also slightly notable that they re-signed Eric Kettani, who would be a solid short yardage back if he gets on the field.

Will Allen is a nice veteran signing at CB. He's been a productive player throughout his career and should bring some balance to the youth they have in that unit.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
$27.5 million over four years for Anderson with $8 million guaranteed. Certainly too rich for New England's blood. Hopefully Andre Carter is willing to re-sign for a reasonable price. Wallace Gilberry would be great as well; he could be the next Anderson. Both players are from Alabama, both had pass-rush success in the past but only one year of major production prior to entering free agency.
Gilberry is more of a Jarvis Green-type than Mark Anderson. He had a down year for KC after bulking up in an attempt to challenge for a more regular role as a 5-tech. He should have just stayed at his normal weight and continued to perfect his craft, but you can't knock a guy for trying to improve his value. If he got back down to ~268-275 he'd be a great acquisition... He can be an absolute monster on passing downs.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Webb's stats from 2011 are insane (incl. postseason):

56/102 (54.9%), 656 yards, 0 TD, 8 INT, 12 PD, 42.0 rating

He is definitely worth the first-round pick if he performs like that. However, my recommendation would be to add some depth in the mid-rounds or via free agency (as they have done with Cole/Allen) and give the McCourty/Dowling combination another season.
Don't forget his return ability....I would love Webb...IMO...he is one of the top up and comers in the league with Carr and Grimes
Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw an email from WEEI about Pats signing Branch to a 1 year deal.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am curious to what the pats are plannign to do with the extra cap space.
I mean, you don't just restructure for no reason. THey had to give Tom a reason too I amsure. It's not chump change either.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
I am curious to what the pats are plannign to do with the extra cap space.
I mean, you don't just restructure for no reason. THey had to give Tom a reason too I amsure. It's not chump change either.
Possibly just room to sign players to front-loaded extensions. It's tough to see them bringing in Wallace with all of the other WRs they've already brought in.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Possibly just room to sign players to front-loaded extensions. It's tough to see them bringing in Wallace with all of the other WRs they've already brought in.
Yeah very possibly, they had to have one thingor another in mind.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

The Patriots have agreed to a two-year deal with Spencer Larsen. Josh McDaniels' influence over personnel decisions really stands out this far; both Fells and Larsen played for McDaniels in Denver and Donte' Stallworth was a part of the 2007 offense. Larsen should have the edge over Lousaka Polite since he has played both fullback and linebacker as well as contributing on special teams. Going with a versatile option for the fourth back makes sense because it could potentially save roster spots; New England is well stocked at halfback with Ridley, Woodhead, and Vereen.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
The Patriots have agreed to a two-year deal with Spencer Larsen. Josh McDaniels' influence over personnel decisions really stands out this far; both Fells and Larsen played for McDaniels in Denver and Donte' Stallworth was a part of the 2007 offense. Larsen should have the edge over Lousaka Polite since he has played both fullback and linebacker as well as contributing on special teams. Going with a versatile option for the fourth back makes sense because it could potentially save roster spots; New England is well stocked at halfback with Ridley, Woodhead, and Vereen.
Fells never played for McDaniels. The Pats have always liked him, though. They thought about bringing him in a couple years ago. I'm a big fan of bringing him in.

Larsen is a solid FB and special teams player. Might not make it out of camp (I'd peg him for a guy that lands on the IR), but worth a good look.