Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
CrackerJack465
Rookie

CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Dolphins coach didn't want Flynn?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Interesting...

"The Dolphins were ready to cut wide receiver Brandon Marshall before trading him to the Chicago Bears"

"[Ross] goes, 'If my coach wanted Matt Flynn, didn't you think he would be here?'" Lawrence told the Sun Sentinel. "'If my coach said, 'I want Matt Flynn as our starting quarterback next year,' he would be here, but I couldn't pay Matt Flynn $8 million to come here. If I end up getting him, it's a gamble and I'm still drafting a quarterback. I'm still looking for another option.'"

I don't really understand what the Phins are doing. Call a season ticket holder? O_o
Old 03-25-2012, 01:38 AM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, what's he supposed to see? We would have gotten more value for Brandon Marshall had we waited but we wanted to trade him anyway. I wanted Matt Flynn as my starting QB but I tried low balling him due to his relationship with my HC? PR spin at its finest.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that line screams "oh hell save face time" reaction to me

I'd be more inclined to believe the Dolphins front office is a gigantic train wreck
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was fairly obvious they were never serious to financially committing to Flynn. The front office is inept, but I'm not sure how NOT throwing a ton of money at Matt freaking Flynn shows that.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flynn never drew serious interest because he only has two quality starts under his belt in the NFL, and the vast majority of his success against the Lions came from torching Alphonso Smith and an injured Chris Houston with Green Bay's elite receiver corps; KC Joyner mentions in an ESPN (Insider) article that four of the touchdowns were thrown on Smith, Houston, and Chris Harris.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 03-25-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, the Browns didn't want him at all and the Seahawks are only promising that he'll have a chance to compete with Tarvaris Jackson.

I don't believe that it's a stretch to think that Philbin wasn't rushing to hitch his wagon to Flynn.

Quote:
KC Joyner mentions in an ESPN (Insider) article that four of the touchdowns were thrown on Smith, Houston, and Chris Harris.
Joyner needs to cut the ESPN-Insider crap and go work for Football Outsiders. That, or write more books. I'd be willing to pay for his books.

Last edited by WCH : 03-25-2012 at 08:35 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is some combination of PR and truth. I do think if Philbin really wanted Flynn and unquestionably felt he was an upgrade over Moore, we'd have him. Flynn wanted to be in Miami. I also know that Ireland has been getting KILLED in the media and fanbase so Ross is trying to do as much damage control as possible. As DG said, the front office is definitely inept, I just don't think not signing Flynn is a true sign of its ineptitude.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Flynn ....the vast majority of his success against the Lions came from torching Alphonso Smith and an injured Chris Houston with Green Bay's elite receiver corps.
Green Bay's "elite" receiver corps only dressed 3 WR's that game, and none of them were our best one Greg Jennings.
Randall Cobb also was inactive.

Flynn had James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Donald Driver in perhaps his final regular season game as a Packer.
I don't think you can call that 3-some "Elite". Nobody wanted Jones last year as a free agent, and this year he didn't do anything for us.

True, the Lions DBs were atrocious, but they still had Suh and that great defensive line we hear so much about.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Green Bay's "elite" receiver corps only dressed 3 WR's that game, and none of them were our best one Greg Jennings.
Randall Cobb also was inactive.

Flynn had James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Donald Driver in perhaps his final regular season game as a Packer.
I don't think you can call that 3-some "Elite". Nobody wanted Jones last year as a free agent, and this year he didn't do anything for us.

True, the Lions DBs were atrocious, but they still had Suh and that great defensive line we hear so much about.
It's true that teams showed limited interest in Jones during last years abbreviated Free Agency period, but it's not true that Jones "didn't do anything for us." Jones had 38 catches for 635 yards and 7 TDs, averaging 16.7 yards per reception and one TD every 5.4 receptions. He had his most efficient season to date, cracking the top-20 in FootballOutsiders DYAR metric. The one thing that he didn't do was catch the attention of fans with a ****-ton of bone-headed drops. His catch rate increased from a sub-standard 57% in 2010, to a well above-average 69% in 2011 (that's actually good for top-10 in the league, among wideouts who were targeted on 50 or more passes). Psuedo-spread teams like the Packers count on guys like Jones to post 600-700 yards and 5-8 TDs per season. Jones is obviously never going to be a #1 WR; but if he's not the best #3 WR in the NFL, he's at least in the discussion.

You could do a lot worse than a trio of Nelson, Jones, and Driver. Those guys combined for 2343 yards last season. Seattle, for instance, isn't going to offer that type of firepower at the WR position.

Last edited by WCH : 03-25-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1223 View Post
Well, what's he supposed to see? We would have gotten more value for Brandon Marshall had we waited but we wanted to trade him anyway. I wanted Matt Flynn as my starting QB but I tried low balling him due to his relationship with my HC? PR spin at its finest.
You cant "low ball" a backup QB. Gimme a ******* break. But of course doesnt surprise me that a Seahawks fan would say then since after all, they do have Flynn.

And yah for more Dolphins negative BS. Its not like there is much of that going around.
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM    (permalink
CrackerJack465
Rookie

CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.CrackerJack465 could make a wolverine purr.

Just to clarify, when I said "I don't know what the Dolphins are doing" I did NOT mean that as "Why weren't the dolphins throwing 8 mill at Flynn, what are they thinking?" I mean it as "Why is the dolphins owner calling season ticket holders and telling them this..."
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cause he is TRYING(keyword trying) to calm down the fanbase and let them know the reasons behind all the moves. Still wont do him any good until we have a QB. The fans are just tired of going through the same BS every offseason with questions at QB. The final straw was that Ross got our hopes up high with Manning, but since he rejected us, boom! All hell broke loose.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
You cant "low ball" a backup QB. Gimme a ******* break. But of course doesnt surprise me that a Seahawks fan would say then since after all, they do have Flynn.

And yah for more Dolphins negative BS. Its not like there is much of that going around.
Right. Look at my response in the Flynn thread. None of the praise for him comes from me or fellow Seahawk fans. All that we said is that he's a better bridge QB than Tarvaris. And he's a better bridge QB than Matt Moore. Flynn's total guaranteed is 10 million. If he plays well he's well worth the incentives. If he doesn't its no big loss at all. If you cant pay that it's the definition of low balling.

If they didn't want him why would you waste your time bringing him all the way from Seattle for a visit. But hey lets believe whatever the FO and the owner says.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Dolphins coach didn't want Flynn at all, why did they show interest in him and bring him in for a visit?

They didn't want him for the price he was probably looking for, plus there front office is very low-quality.

Plus, after reading this article, it just seems like the Dolphins are doing some image cleaning and venting on them screwing themselves over by not being able to land any FAs
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
If the Dolphins coach didn't want Flynn at all, why did they show interest in him and bring him in for a visit?

They didn't want him for the price he was probably looking for, plus there front office is very low-quality.

Plus, after reading this article, it just seems like the Dolphins are doing some image cleaning and venting on them screwing themselves over by not being able to land any FAs
Well no ****. You just now figuring that out?

And if the Dolphins REALLY want to do some image cleaning, it would start with kicking Ireland out the door. He is the main problem.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well no ****. You just now figuring that out?

And if the Dolphins REALLY want to do some image cleaning, it would start with kicking Ireland out the door. He is the main problem.
This article and statement is just worsenting the image. They're just venting how they couldn't land squat and had to settle for Garrard. Now they're going to REACH for Tanehill because he's Sherman's boy from A&M.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
This article and statement is just worsenting the image. They're just venting how they couldn't land squat and had to settle for Garrard. Now they're going to REACH for Tanehill because he's Sherman's boy from A&M.
You sure are a bright bulb arent you? Thats pretty much stating the obvious.

I'm fine with Tannehill in the first round. That is if we can trade down.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You sure are a bright bulb arent you? Thats pretty much stating the obvious.

I'm fine with Tannehill in the first round. That is if we can trade down.
Dang, I didn't know the Dolphins fans were low quality either.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
Dang, I didn't know the Dolphins fans were low quality either.
Hey thanks. Could say the same for the Bucs. If you dont like what I have to say then ignore me. Pretty simple.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1223 View Post
If they didn't want him why would you waste your time bringing him all the way from Seattle for a visit. But hey lets believe whatever the FO and the owner says.
Lets be honest and set all homerism aside (I'm talking about my fellow Packer fans more than Seahawk fans, in this case): Flynn didn't sign a monster contract with Seattle, and he'd probably be a Dolphin if Philbin had told Ireland and Ross "I've worked with this guy for four years, he knows my system, and I know that he's our guy -- I'm willing to bet my job on it." Seattle was probably the only team with serious interest in brining Flynn on as a starter, even as a "bridge QB."

Philbin might be wrong, and his perception might be a bit screwy from having Favre and Rodgers at QB throughout his entire NFL coaching career; but it should be fairly obvious that he didn't make a strong push to bring Flynn to Miami. It might look different if Seattle had won a huge bidding war, but they didn't.

Sorry, but that needed to be said. I still see Packer fans on the internet who insist that Miami would have offered a 3rd Round pick for Flynn, if only Ted Thompson had been dumb enough to slap the Franchise Tag on him (believe it or not, before the start of Free Agency, some Packer fans were delusional enough to think that Miami would give up the eighth pick for Flynn, if GB tagged him).

Last edited by WCH : 03-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

The most disturbing thing about this is that Ross is clearly acting as co-GM...
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
The most disturbing thing about this is that Ross is clearly acting as co-GM...
And its clearly you dont know what your talking about. It's been stated multiple times through him and people close to the Dolphins that Ross rarely gets involved in football operations. He isnt Jerry Jones. The only thing that Ross has been involved in was going after Manning. He has been letting Ireland do the rest.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 AM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
And its clearly you dont know what your talking about. It's been stated multiple times through him and people close to the Dolphins that Ross rarely gets involved in football operations. He isnt Jerry Jones. The only thing that Ross has been involved in was going after Manning. He has been letting Ireland do the rest.
I don't care whats been stated...Ross is talking like he is very much involved in the decision making.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't believe a word that Ross utters. I bet Matt Flynn didn't want to come to Miami, is more likely.

None of it makes sense....

You didn't want Flynn??? Why'd you bring him in?

You didn't want Smith??? Why'd you bring him in?

And he speaks out of both sides of the argument...

"If my coach wanted Flynn don't you think he'd be here.?" Followed by...

"I couldn't pay $8 Million for Matt Flynn to be here."

Which is it, Ross? Philbin didn't want him? Or you didn't want to pay him?

Of course all of this story is from the mouth of an admittedly disgruntled fan, so who knows if any of it is true.

Last edited by phlysac : 03-25-2012 at 02:24 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
CrackerJack465
Rookie

It's sad when a once great franchise is ruined by bad ownership and a lousy front office. Bad for the league, bad for the team's fans. The teams that are consistently good usually have great owners...

...or get lucky with 6th round HOF QBs