Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NFL.com's Greatest team of all time.

I thought this was pretty interesting. The final four teams were a surprise to me. This isn't like America's Game either that was done a few years ago. Non-Super Bowl teams were including early on, but obviously as time went on those were eliminated.

The final four:

2000 Ravens vs. 1984 49ers.

Interesting NFL Films video link about matchup.

1985 Bears vs. 1976 Raiders.

Interesting NFL Films video link about matchup.

Let the debate begin. Oh and and in case you wanted to see the previous bracket and how the other teams shaped out, it started here:

http://www.nfl.com/features/bracketo...eteams?round=1

Again, I thought it was interesting to see how they included teams that didn't even win the Super Bowl. Cool to see how far they got, at least to me.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to be a complete homer, but the 2007 (or 2004) Patriots need to be at least in the conversation. Also, unless I've been told wrong the '86 Bears were even better than the '85 Bears. They just didn't win the Super Bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like about 10-12 years ago, ESPN or someone did something like this where they took the tape of games and put other teams into it and had the greatest teams of all-time match-up. IIRC, the end was one of the Steeler teams against one of the 49er teams. I wish I could find links to that again.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I don't want to be a complete homer, but the 2007 (or 2004) Patriots need to be at least in the conversation. Also, unless I've been told wrong the '86 Bears were even better than the '85 Bears. They just didn't win the Super Bowl.
The 86 Bears were better than the 85 Bears but they blew it vs Washington in the playoffs. They also had some issues at qb that year.

They would have lost to the 86 Giants that year anyway though. That 86 Giant team was more stable at qb and had just as dominant of a defense. LT had something like 22.5 sacks that year or something.

And Parcells had his own version of the 46 that he used as a subpackage, a 3-5-3 defense used the same concepts as the 46.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm surprised the 70s Steelers aren't in the final four. They absolutely deserve to be there.

And Lombardi's Packers. Those 2 teams should have met in the Finals of this tournament.

I love the 2000 Ravens defense, but that team has no business being in the final 4.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm surprised the 70s Steelers aren't in the final four. They absolutely deserve to be there.

And Lombardi's Packers. Those 2 teams should have met in the Finals of this tournament.

I love the 2000 Ravens defense, but that team has no business being in the final 4.
This a homer post on my part, but Lombardi's Packers won 5 championships in 7 years; and you can't talk about the best teams ever and not include Lombardi's '62 Packers team. They went 13-1 with their loss being to the division rival Detroit Lions, and they beat the Giants for the NFL Championship for the second consecutive season (you know, back in the days when the Packers could beat the Giants in the postseason). The defense allowed only 10.8 PPG and held opposing quarterbacks to a 43.5 QB rating, and they outscored their opponents by 267 points.

I suppose the 12-2 Super Bowl I team of '66 is a decent substitute, if you're limiting it to the Super Bowl era; but those Lombardi teams have to be in the conversation. Super Bowls I and II were actually the second and third years of a three-peat.

Last edited by WCH : 03-27-2012 at 08:39 AM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'll take our 2004 team over our 2007 team any day, and I would definitely take the 04 squad over the 2000 Ravens.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I'll take our 2004 team over our 2007 team any day, and I would definitely take the 04 squad over the 2000 Ravens.
The mid-00s Patriots teams were some of the most balanced football teams in NFL history. Just really good in almost every phase of the game.

Especially the cheating phase

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have trouble calling the 2000 Ravens one of the greatest teams ever. Sure their defense was great, but the offense was a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
The mid-00s Patriots teams were some of the most balanced football teams in NFL history. Just really good in almost every phase of the game.

Especially the cheating phase
Awww, that's cute. A Colt fan hinting that someone else was violating the integrity of the game..

Something about stones and glasshouses.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Awww, that's cute. A Colt fan hinting that someone else was violating the integrity of the game..

Something about stones and glasshouses.
I'm not hinting and I'm not talking about just integrity. I'm stating clearly that your coach and team cheated and that it taints the teams' accomplishments, including their SBs. Granted, I did it in a jovial banana-dancing manner.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not hinting and I'm not talking about just integrity. I'm stating clearly that your coach and team cheated and that it taints the teams' accomplishments, including their SBs. Granted, I did it in a jovial banana-dancing manner.
And I'm saying that it's been proved that we cheated in 2007, not before that. You can argue that we did it prior to 2007 (which we probably did), but you can't prove it. What can be proved is Polian pumping in crowd noise in the RCA dome and changing the rules of the game to favor his own QB. I'm not saying we didn't cheat, but to hear it from a Colt fan is just funny.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
And I'm saying that it's been proved that we cheated in 2007, not before that. You can argue that we did it prior to 2007 (which we probably did), but you can't prove it. What can be proved is Polian pumping in crowd noise in the RCA dome and changing the rules of the game to favor his own QB. I'm not saying we didn't cheat, but to hear it from a Colt fan is just funny.
1 - Polian is an ass, I hate his rule changing too
2 - the crowd noise thing is bogus and was never proven, because it never happened
3 - **** the Pats

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1 - Polian is an ass, I hate his rule changing too
2 - the crowd noise thing is bogus and was never proven, because it never happened
3 - **** the Pats
You my good sir, need to clam down. Jealously is very unbecoming of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
You my good sir, need to clam down. Jealously is very unbecoming of you
Are you telling me I need to get laid?

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 2000 Ravens had Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes running the ball. Screw you we were a joke! TRENT DILFERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Oh yeah, and Shannon Sharpe. And Jermaine Lewis. Awesome sauce.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They were in the tournament it started with a bunch of teams. this is just the final 4.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IM shocked the 2000 Ravens got this far. I guess because it is one of the best teams in the lifetime of the common person who is on the internet a lot has a lot to do with it.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
IM shocked the 2000 Ravens got this far. I guess because it is one of the best teams in the lifetime of the common person who is on the internet a lot has a lot to do with it.
Probably. It is hard to be objective about a team that was dominant when your parents were children.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My feelings....

49ers over Ravens
I wasn't born for the 49ers, but I was for the Ravens. With all do to respect, but the Ravens offense went like 6 games without scoring. If this was best defense...00 Ravens prolly play the 85 Bears, but for best team, I will go with the Niners.

Bears over Raiders
Once again wasn't born for either, but I hear so much about the vaunted 85 Bears.

Bears over 49ers
I am a Midwest guy. The FRIDGE!!!!! AND DITKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I have trouble calling the 2000 Ravens one of the greatest teams ever. Sure their defense was great, but the offense was a joke.
I think the major knock on the 2000 Ravens is that they didn't really play any great quarterbacks that season. The only one I can think of is Rich Gannon who they knocked out in the playoffs. They played a couple of good ones in Mark Brunell and Steve McNair (who really wasn't the passer he would become later on), but everyone one else was mostly average.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the 2008 Patriots won the super bowl they would be the #1 team, no questions asked.. But they didnt so fml

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
If the 2008 Patriots won the super bowl they would be the #1 team, no questions asked.. But they didnt so fml
I love Eli Manning.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I love Eli Manning.
How anyone could love that inbred, mouthbreathing idiot is beyond me. But I guess I'm not a Giants fan.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is it the '84 Niners and not '89?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote